|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hunger artist is never what?
2. The artist's inner what is always rankled?
3. What does the artist stubbornly refuse to do at the last moment of his fast?
4. What is the artist's cage bedecked with at the end of his fast?
5. What does the hunger artist make no secret of, yet others don't believe him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the circus regarding the record of days the artist has spent fasting?
2. What could be said in terms of the artist as a martyr? What differing definitions are there of this term and how do they apply?
3. What is the artist's point of view regarding the impresario's excuses? What is his view of the audience reaction?
4. Where do the artist and impresario travel in Part 2 and why?
5. Where is the artist's cage placed in the circus? What is the description of it?
6. Describe briefly which of the three allegorical interpretations discussed in class with which you most agree.
7. Who discovers the artist in his cage in the end of the story? What does the hunger artist say?
8. Why doesn't the artist complain to the management at the circus?
9. Who is paralleled to the hunger artist and why?
10. How does the audience's lack of understanding affect the artist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-hatred and inadequacy as it applies to the story and to the artist. How does the author convey this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of alienation in the story. Who embodies this quality? How does the author use symbolism to convey this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different interpretations of the story "A Hunger Artist." What do each of these imply is the meaning of Kafka's work?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)