|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lights the stage of the artist at night?
(a) A spotlight.
(c) Torch flares.
2. What do most of the watchers think the artist is looking for?
3. How has the artist never yet left his cage at the end of a fast?
(c) Of his free will.
(d) On his feet.
4. What is the cushioning on the hunger artist's stage?
5. Where does the hunger artist perform?
(a) A stage.
(b) A wagon.
(c) A glass cage.
(d) A barred cage.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the watchers are invited to take on a night's vigil without a breakfast, what do they do?
2. For whom is seeing the hunger artist a special treat?
3. What is the point of view of "A Hunger Artist"?
4. What does the impresario secretly do to the hunger artist as he lifts him?
5. How many doctors enter the cage to measure the results of the fast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the artist satisfied with his fasts? Why or why not?
2. What does the artist tell his watchers regarding the ease or difficulty of his fasting? What do they respond?
3. What has changed about the audience in terms of their belief in the artist?
4. What is the major contrast between the circus and the artist's previous days working solo?
5. What are the religious allusions?
6. How does the artist react to those who believe him to be "cheating"?
7. What does the artist recollect about the old days in contrast to now?
8. What does the artist realize about people knowing the truth of his fasts?
9. How do writing and the art of hunger compare metaphorically?
10. Describe the hunger artist. What does he look like? What does he wear?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)