|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the artist's cage bedecked with at the end of his fast?
2. What lights the stage of the artist at night?
(b) Torch flares.
(c) A spotlight.
3. How many doctors enter the cage to measure the results of the fast?
4. In the prime days of the hunger artist, how often did people want to see him?
(a) Once a day.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once every hour.
(d) Once a week.
5. Why is the limit set on the artist's fasts?
(a) The artist would collapse.
(b) The audience loses interest after that time.
(c) The artist would die.
(d) The artist refuses to keep going.
6. Where does the hunger artist perform?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A glass cage.
(c) A barred cage.
(d) A stage.
7. What is the only item of furniture in the cage?
(a) A clock.
(b) A desk.
(c) A chair.
(d) A bed.
8. What does the hunger artist always feel he is being cheated from doing?
(b) Beating his rival's record.
(c) Beating his own record.
(d) Becoming a martyr.
9. What type of band plays the last day of the fast?
(a) A military band.
(b) A gypsy band.
(c) A local orchestra.
(d) A string quartet.
10. In what tense is "A Hunger Artist" written?
(b) Future perfect.
11. Who are the permanent watchers, usually?
(d) Candy salesmen.
12. Which watchers are more to the taste of the hunger artist?
(a) Those who cry at his pain.
(b) Those who play cards.
(c) Those who sit close to the bars.
(d) Those who offer him food.
13. What is the hunger artist's happiest moment with the overnight watchers?
(a) When they are brought breakfast.
(b) When they leave.
(c) When they applaud.
(d) When they offer him food.
14. The ladies who help the artist down are apparently so friendly and in reality are so what?
15. What is the artist's manager called?
(a) The kaiser.
(b) The heife.
(c) The impresario.
(d) The voltar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who are not content with the dim night lighting of the hall focused the artist in the full glare of what?
2. How many of the permanent watchers are there at a given time?
3. The permanent watchers are a formality to reassure whom?
4. The interest of the public is stimulated by a steadily increasing pressure of what?
5. The narrator writes that "during these last _____ an interest in professional fasting has diminished."
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)