|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lester decide to do with the Behranis after he sees that Esmail could have escaped through the window?
2. What does Lester see in Kathy's car that alarms him when he arrives at the house?
3. What does Kathy think her mother will do when she finds out what has happened?
4. Why is Nadereh angry that her husband was a high officer in the shah's army?
5. How does Alvarez punish Lester's threatening the Behranis?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Kathy reviews events in her mind, she believes that she was willing to let Lester do anything to put off one moment. What is she so anxious to postpone?
2. Nadereh berates Behrani while he repairs her mother's table, but he lets her insults "pass over like training jets with no ammunition." Why doesn't he respond to her tirade, and what does she finally say that causes him to enter the argument?
3. Why is Kathy's judgment so confused as she drives to the house and parks in the driveway?
4. Why does Lester decide that the Behranis have harmed Kathy when he returns to the house and looks in through the window?
5. Kathy doesn't shower because she doesn't want to clean up, then put on again the clothes she has stolen. How is this a metaphor for her situation now?
6. Why does Kathy go sit in the car to wait for Lester to return? Why doesn't she stay inside the house?
7. Why does young Deputy Gleason's expression of gratitude when he encounters Lester on the street make Lester feel worse?
8. Why does Lester feel like a fraud?
9. Behrani says that he sometimes believes he is being punished. What does he think he is being punished for, and how is this similar to Kathy's feelings?
10. After Esmail has been shot, the shooting officer looks at Lester. He needs a critical piece of information and Lester doesn't have it, either. What is that piece of information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story, three of the main characters each say that they got what they deserved. Do you agree with them? Are the final results similar to what you predicted? In this essay, compare your early predictions for the outcome of this conflict with the actual resolution. If your predictions were different, do you like your ideas better than the actual results? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lester has said that he loves and admires his wife. Why do you think he is willing to cause such pain to someone he loves and admires? Do you think he is surprised when she comes to the sheriff's office and creates a scene? Using quotations and facts from the story, analyze Lester's relationship with his wife.
Essay Topic 3
Events in Iran many years before the opening of this story shape the thinking of the characters in the present. The photo of Behrani with the shah is an important symbol in this story. In this essay, consider the effect of the photo on Nadereh, on Soraya, on Soraya's in-laws, on Lester, on Kathy, and on Behrani himself. Use quotations from the story in each instance.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)