|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kathy think the police will come looking for her now that she has returned to the house?
2. How does Esmail surprise Lester as they enter the county building?
3. Why is Kathy unable to speak when she wakes up in the hospital?
4. How does Kathy first try to kill herself?
5. How much bail will Lester have to pay to get out of jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is nazr?
2. Why does young Deputy Gleason's expression of gratitude when he encounters Lester on the street make Lester feel worse?
3. Kathy doesn't shower because she doesn't want to clean up, then put on again the clothes she has stolen. How is this a metaphor for her situation now?
4. When Lester describes his feelings during the drive to the county office, he says it is probably the way felons want to feel all the time. How does he say he feels?
5. Behrani says that he sometimes believes he is being punished. What does he think he is being punished for, and how is this similar to Kathy's feelings?
6. Why does Lester conclude that the Behranis have told him the truth about Kathy's situation?
7. Which of the Behranis takes responsibility for saving Kathy when they find her after she took the pills?
8. Why does Kathy feel a sense of unreality while she is in the hospital?
9. Why does Lester feel like a fraud?
10. Although Lester believes Behrani's story, he becomes angry again when Behrani describes Kathy as "drunk." Behrani is angry at Lester when he sees him studying his photo with the shah. How are these two moments similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are not told that Kathy is beautiful, but there are several instances of responses to her from men, including bystanders and passing motorists. What do these responses tell you about her? What does Lester's response to her tell you about her? In your opinion, would the story have been different if Kathy's appearance was different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Behrani's relationship with his fellow soldiers led him to agree with things he didn't really believe in. Lester's relationship with his fellow officers has led him to do things he doesn't really believe in. Kathy says she believes that without the men "throwing their weight around," the women could have quickly solved the problem between them. Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main characters in this story are preoccupied with how their actions appear to others. If Nadereh was not concerned about impressing her fellow Iranian expatriates, how might the story have been different? If Deputy Gleason had not stopped Lester to thank him for being such a fine example of a police officer, how might the story have been different? Select one of the characters and explain how their preoccupation with impressing others changed the story. Use quotations and examples from the book.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)