|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nadereh believe the Behranis must help Kathy?
2. How does Behrani say he feels about his menial job on bad days?
3. What does Lester try to convince Kathy to do now that they have held the Behrani family overnight?
4. How does Kathy say she feels about herself now that she is safe in bed inside the house?
5. Why is Nadereh angry with Behrani after he forces Kathy to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do his fellow officers feel about Lester after he has been arrested?
2. As Kathy takes the pills to kill herself, how does her attitude toward the Behranis change?
3. After Esmail has been shot, the shooting officer looks at Lester. He needs a critical piece of information and Lester doesn't have it, either. What is that piece of information?
4. What is Connie Walsh's planned defense for Kathy?
5. Why does Lester feel like a fraud?
6. When Lester describes his feelings during the drive to the county office, he says it is probably the way felons want to feel all the time. How does he say he feels?
7. Why does Lester feel that his anger, which is leaving him in the Behrani house, is something precious that he needs?
8. How do Behrani's feelings change when he finds Kathy in the car in his driveway?
9. Behrani says that he sometimes believes he is being punished. What does he think he is being punished for, and how is this similar to Kathy's feelings?
10. Who does Lester want to call from jail and what does he plan to say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The breaking of promises is a significant theme in this story. Behrani, Kathy, and Lester all make vows and break them. Choose one of the three characters. Analyze the promises they make and their motivation for breaking those promises. For example, the HALT advice for addicts is useful, but ignored by Kathy. How might the story have been different if she and/or Lester had followed the HALT prescription?
Essay Topic 2
Imagine that you are Lester's defense attorney. He has been charged with extortion, breaking and entering, false imprisonment, and kidnapping. How would you defend him against these charges?
Essay Topic 3
Behrani's relationship with his fellow soldiers led him to agree with things he didn't really believe in. Lester's relationship with his fellow officers has led him to do things he doesn't really believe in. Kathy says she believes that without the men "throwing their weight around," the women could have quickly solved the problem between them. Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)