|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lester instruct Kathy to think about while he is gone to the county offices with Esmail and Behrani?
(a) Some way out of this mess.
(b) Someplace sunny they could go.
(c) What to tell his boss.
(d) What to do with all that money.
2. Why does Lester believe he will have to tell Alvarez the truth?
(a) Because Alvarez can tell when he's lying.
(b) Because the truth won't cause anyone harm.
(c) Because Alvarez already knows what's happened.
(d) So Alvarez won't visit the Behranis.
3. Why does Kathy start to smile when she sees Connie Walsh in jail?
(a) Because she is anxious for the news Connie Walsh is bringing.
(b) Because they are good friends.
(c) Because she knows Connie Walsh can get her out of jail.
(d) Because Connie Walsh is wearing shoes.
4. Why does Behrani frighten the people on the street as he runs to the hospital?
(a) He is covered with blood.
(b) He is screaming.
(c) He is running and appears insane.
(d) He is raving.
5. Why doesn't Behrani call an ambulance when they find Kathy has ingested pills?
(a) He is afraid the police will bring more trouble.
(b) He is sure she is dead.
(c) He is sure she is not hurt.
(d) He is too shaken to remember how to do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lester get into the Behranis' house?
2. How does Alvarez punish Lester's threatening the Behranis?
3. Why does Nadereh believe the Behranis must help Kathy?
4. How does Lester decide that the Behranis have not harmed Kathy?
5. If the Behranis agree to leave the house, why won't Lester's problems be resolved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lester feel that his anger, which is leaving him in the Behrani house, is something precious that he needs?
2. Lester becomes suspicious of Esmail. What causes this reaction?
3. What is nazr?
4. How do Behrani's feelings change when he finds Kathy in the car in his driveway?
5. After Esmail has been shot, the shooting officer looks at Lester. He needs a critical piece of information and Lester doesn't have it, either. What is that piece of information?
6. Why is Kathy's judgment so confused as she drives to the house and parks in the driveway?
7. Kathy says that she only has one hope now while she's waiting for Lester to return. What does she hope?
8. Why does Kathy go sit in the car to wait for Lester to return? Why doesn't she stay inside the house?
9. Why does young Deputy Gleason's expression of gratitude when he encounters Lester on the street make Lester feel worse?
10. Who does Lester want to call from jail and what does he plan to say?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)