|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Behrani frighten the people on the street as he runs to the hospital?
(a) He is running and appears insane.
(b) He is covered with blood.
(c) He is raving.
(d) He is screaming.
2. Why does the guard advise Lester not to reveal his occupation?
(a) The other prisoners don't think well of cops.
(b) The guards might be harder on him.
(c) The other prisoners might make fun of him.
(d) It could increase his sentence.
3. What question does Lester's friend Doug ask him?
(a) Are you in any trouble?
(b) Are you real clear on what you're doing?
(c) Are you going home to your wife?
(d) Do you need some help from me?
4. What does Kathy do to try to help Nadereh while she sleeps?
(a) She puts a cool cloth on her forehead.
(b) She turns off the music.
(c) She brings her a blanket.
(d) She brings her a glass of ice water.
5. What new crimes has Lester now committed as he locks the Behrani family in the bathroom?
(a) Burglary and blackmail.
(b) Assault with a deadly weapon and false imprisonment.
(c) Extortion and robbery.
(d) Assault and battery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lester instruct Kathy to think about while he is gone to the county offices with Esmail and Behrani?
2. What does Lester pray for while he waits in jail?
3. What does Lester call the Whore Twenty-Four?
4. What does Esmail find the courage to ask Behrani while they are locked in the bathroom?
5. When does Lester believe he has crossed a border with Behrani?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Kathy reviews events in her mind, she believes that she was willing to let Lester do anything to put off one moment. What is she so anxious to postpone?
2. Nadereh berates Behrani while he repairs her mother's table, but he lets her insults "pass over like training jets with no ammunition." Why doesn't he respond to her tirade, and what does she finally say that causes him to enter the argument?
3. Why does Lester feel like a fraud?
4. Why does Kathy go sit in the car to wait for Lester to return? Why doesn't she stay inside the house?
5. Who does Lester want to call from jail and what does he plan to say?
6. What is Connie Walsh's planned defense for Kathy?
7. After Esmail has been shot, the shooting officer looks at Lester. He needs a critical piece of information and Lester doesn't have it, either. What is that piece of information?
8. When Lester describes his feelings during the drive to the county office, he says it is probably the way felons want to feel all the time. How does he say he feels?
9. Lester watches his own image in the elevator doors spread out from the middle, then disappear. How is this symbol a metaphor for his situation?
10. Why is Kathy's judgment so confused as she drives to the house and parks in the driveway?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)