|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Connie Walsh say would be the best outcome of the situation with the house?
(a) The county would help Kathy find a comparable house.
(b) Behrani would rescind the sale and the county would return his money.
(c) Behrani would get full market value from the county.
(d) Kathy would be compensated for her inconvenience.
2. Why does Esmail become angry with his father?
(a) He wants to go home to Iran.
(b) He doesn't want to move.
(c) His father won't buy him things he wants.
(d) He wants to invite his friends to his house.
3. Why does Kathy decide to talk to Nadereh alone?
(a) She believes Nadereh is on her side.
(b) She hopes that they can agree as women.
(c) She believes she can frighten the timid woman.
(d) She knows Nadereh doesn't like the little house.
4. What is Kathy's pastime when she isn't cleaning houses?
(a) She jogs.
(b) She works at a volunteer center.
(c) She sleeps the day away.
(d) She watches movies all day.
5. Why does Kathy buy a can of gasoline?
(a) She's helping a stranded motorist.
(b) Her car is out of gas.
(c) She wants to burn down the house.
(d) They need gas for the barbecue at the fish camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nadereh think Kathy is when she first meets her?
2. What is the Enemy Voice?
3. Why does Behmani call Esmail a chicken?
4. Why is Lester upset when Kathy finds him waiting at the fish camp?
5. How does Kathy rationalize losing her sobriety during her date with Lester?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lester believe Behrani deserves to be punished by him?
2. When Esmail asks his father if they were rich in Iran, Behrani replies, "Yes and no, son." What do you think he meant?
3. What happens to Behrani's cousin Jasmeen, and why is he unable to forget it?
4. Why is Nadereh happier in the little house than she had been in the expensive apartment?
5. Why does Kathy feel superior to the everyday people she sees on the street?
6. In the first meeting between Behrani and Kathy, what does he advise her to do?
7. Why does Behrani feel that Soraya is right to disrespect him when he notices her behavior during her homecoming party?
8. Do you think Lester's advice to Kathy when he helps her after the eviction is correct?
9. When Kathy explains her need to keep the house to Nadereh, what is Nadereh's concern?
10. How does Kathy feel about her drinking when she is in the motel with Lester, and why is it important to the story?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)