|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Connie Walsh say would be the best outcome of the situation with the house?
(a) The county would help Kathy find a comparable house.
(b) Behrani would get full market value from the county.
(c) Behrani would rescind the sale and the county would return his money.
(d) Kathy would be compensated for her inconvenience.
2. How long has Kathy been sober?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three days.
3. What animal is killed to celebrate the Behranis' marriage in Iran?
(a) A goat.
(b) A calf.
(c) A pig.
(d) A sheep.
4. Why does Behrani maintain an expensive apartment although his income is low?
(a) To impress his daughter's potential husbands.
(b) Because he has signed an extended lease.
(c) To impress his son's high school friends.
(d) Because he doesn't understand money.
5. What news from Kathy's mother comes in the mail?
(a) She is coming to visit her on Labor Day.
(b) She wants Kathy to come home for a visit.
(c) She wants Kathy to call her.
(d) She is sending Kathy airplane tickets.
6. Why does Behrani believe that his daughter Soraya no longer respects him during her homecoming party?
(a) She ignores him altogether.
(b) She speaks rudely to him.
(c) She tries to impress her in-laws with memories of Iran.
(d) She boasts of her father-in-law's fortune.
7. To what substances is Kathy addicted?
(a) Coffee and chocolate.
(b) Cocaine, tobacco, and alcohol.
(c) Sleeping pills and anti-depressants.
(d) Marijuana and heroin.
8. Why is Behrani worried that Esmail is alone with a visitor during Soraya's homecoming party?
(a) He is afraid that he will tell about his mother's illness.
(b) He is afraid he will tell about Kathy's visit.
(c) He is afraid he will tell that they are no longer rich.
(d) He is afraid that he will tell about his father's jobs.
9. Why does Nadereh dress up on the same day?
(a) She is happy about the party she is planning.
(b) She wants to impress Kathy.
(c) She wants to look as good as her husband.
(d) She wants to impress Behrani.
10. How is Kathy injured when she goes to the house?
(a) She trips on the carpenters' tools.
(b) She steps on nails.
(c) She cuts her arm on broken window glass.
(d) She steps into a hole and twists her ankle.
11. What does the letter from Connie Walsh advise the Behranis to do?
(a) Prepare to vacate the house.
(b) Take the house off the market.
(c) Sell the house immediately.
(d) Expect their check to be returned.
12. When Kathy tells Lester she is staying at the Bonneville, what is she talking about?
(a) The motel.
(b) Her car.
(c) Her friend's house.
(d) The house where she worked as a housecleaner.
13. What vow does Lester break on the day they go to the fish camp?
(a) His promise to himself to quit drinking.
(b) His promise to never leave his children.
(c) His oath as a deputy sheriff.
(d) His wedding vow.
14. What does Connie Walsh say is Kathy's only recourse now that they know that Behrani will not give up the house?
(a) Sue the county for the value of the house.
(b) Call the sheriff to evict the Behranis.
(c) Talk directly to Behrani and try to convince him to leave.
(d) Hire someone to intimidate Behrani.
15. Why does Nadereh hang the photo of Behrani with the shah?
(a) To intimidate Kathy.
(b) Because the colors blend well with the furniture.
(c) To remind their new relatives that they are important people.
(d) To frighten their visitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Behrani's uncle kill Jasmeen?
2. Why doesn't Kathy explain the house situation to Frank?
3. What is Kathy beginning to hope when Lester invites her to bring her things to the fish camp?
4. Why is Nadereh screaming at Behrani after Lester leaves the house?
5. When Connie Walsh tells Kathy that Behrani is willing to sell the house, what important factor does she omit?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)