|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Edith hear David ask his wife?
2. Who does Edith help to the dining room?
3. Who arrives halfway through Edith's last dinner?
4. Why do all the guests take their coffee together in the salon?
5. Where is the boat going that Edith is on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Mr. Neville's wife?
2. Why does Mr. Neville tell Edith to walk around the deck?
3. What does Edith say about categories that writers are put in?
4. What are the preparations that Iris made personally for her birthday party?
5. What did Mr. Neville say about Edith's life in London?
6. Why does Edith agree to marry Geoffrey?
7. What does Edith dislike about her future bedroom?
8. Who does Edith compare Jennifer to in her mind during Iris's birthday party?
9. What does Edith tell David in her letter to him in Chapter 12?
10. What are the preparations that were made for Iris's birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edith's last letter to David discusses all the questions that the reader has accumulated throughout the book. Write about all the information the reader is given in this last letter. What did you find out about all of the past letters that Edith wrote in the book? How often did David and Edith meet? What was both Edith and David's commitment levels to their relationship? Why has David not contacted Edith?
Essay Topic 2
Give the details of Edith's relationship with David. By the end of the book, a full picture has been painted, so describe what it looks like.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Edith and Penelope's characters using specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)