|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Iris sees Monica as a what?
2. What does David's wife do when he hints at cheating on her during fights?
3. Why does Edith close her eyes once seated at the dinner table for the first time?
4. What will happen if Monica doesn't give her husband what he wants?
5. After Edith finishes writing the letter at the beginning of the story, what does she do next?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Penelope and Edith differ when it comes to men?
2. What is the Hotel du Lac known for?
3. What two types of animals does Edith use to describe women and where did she get this idea from?
4. Why is Edith at the hotel in the beginning of the book?
5. What does Edith say n her letter to David about shopping?
6. What family member was Edith closest to and why?
7. Describe a woman that would be considered a tortoise by Edith.
8. What does Mr. Neville reveal to Edith on their walk together?
9. What does Edith think about the dynamics of the relationship between Iris and Jennifer Pusey?
10. Who initiates the meeting between Edith and Monica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Monica's marital situation and the problems she is incurring. Why is Monica staying at the hotel? Is her stay helping her? What is Monica's husband's status in society? What does Monica's husband require of her? Does Monica want the same thing as her husband? What will happen if Monica can't give her husband what he wants?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Iris's birthday party. What were the preparations made and what events occurred during the party? What were the guests' reactions to the presentation? Do you think the party made Edith like Iris more or less? Iris acts surprised by the commotion, but did she really plan all of it? What did the author want the reader to take away from this chapter in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion of this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Did it hold your interest? Was it slow moving? What was your favorite part? What would you have liked to see go differently?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)