|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edith Hope is what kind of writer?
2. When Edith sees a tall and slender woman at the beginning of the story she assumes that she must be a what?
3. What is wrong with Monica's health?
4. What does Edith drink in the dining room during her first trip to it?
5. What was the reason stated for asking Edith to join them for coffee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What family member was Edith closest to and why?
2. What two types of animals does Edith use to describe women and where did she get this idea from?
3. What does Iris do that makes Edith understand that she is not comfortable socially unless in the dominant position?
4. Does Iris like Monica?
5. What does Mr. Neville reveal to Edith on their walk together?
6. Describe how Mrs. Pusey was taken care of by her late husband?
7. What does Edith say n her letter to David about shopping?
8. In Chapter 3, what is Edith's letter to David about?
9. Which type of animal does Edith consider herself to be?
10. What is the problem with Monica's health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Mr. Neville feels that both himself and Edith will appear foolish if they remain unmarried. What does Mr. Neville's first wife have to do with him feeling he will look foolish? What is Mr. Neville hoping to rectify through marriage? Why does Mr. Neville feel that Edith needs to be married to not look foolish socially? What does Mr. Neville say about Edith's face looking sorrowful while talking to other people as a single woman? How will marriage fix this?
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion of this book. Did you like it? Why or why not? Did it hold your interest? Was it slow moving? What was your favorite part? What would you have liked to see go differently?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Iris's birthday party. What were the preparations made and what events occurred during the party? What were the guests' reactions to the presentation? Do you think the party made Edith like Iris more or less? Iris acts surprised by the commotion, but did she really plan all of it? What did the author want the reader to take away from this chapter in the book?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)