|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the tall, thin woman greet Edith at the cafe with the large glass windows?
2. When the thin woman doesn't eat any of her food, who eats it for her during dinner times?
3. In Edith's books what type of animal represents the women that would end up with the man?
4. Edith Hope is what kind of writer?
5. What was Penelope doing when Edith asked her about David for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is David's wife's reaction to him hinting that he is cheating on her?
2. What about the relationship between Iris and Jennifer is Edith jealous about?
3. What does Iris do that makes Edith understand that she is not comfortable socially unless in the dominant position?
4. What does Edith remark to herself while Monica eats her eclair?
5. What does Mr. Neville reveal to Edith on their walk together?
6. Why does Edith remember when she wrote the book that Iris is reading?
7. Why is Iris visibly upset when Edith sees her in the dining room after working on her novel?
8. Name three amenities that the Hotel du Lac does not have that many other hotels do.
9. Describe a woman that would be considered a hare by Edith.
10. Edith describes the time that she spent with David in Chapter 2. What does Edith say about this and how it always ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edith befriends both Iris and Monica throughout this book. Compare and contrast Iris and Monica's characters using text from the story to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Iris and Jennifer Pusey. Why does it seem strange to onlookers?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Edith decides to no longer be friends with the Pusey women. What was the first impression that Edith received from the Pusey women? What part of this first impression started a negative feeling with Edith? How did Edith feel about Iris's reaction when the blouse maker left? How did Iris's birthday party make Edith feel about her? When Iris had the commotion in her room, what was the final straw with Edith concerning Iris's behavior?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)