|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Edith go to as a child for comfort?
2. What does Edith believe drives women into marriage?
3. In Edith's books what type of animal represents the women that would end up with the man?
4. Who does Iris Pusey say that Edith's face reminds her of?
5. What mode of transportation do the Puseys use to get around while staying at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Iris do that makes Edith understand that she is not comfortable socially unless in the dominant position?
2. What is the problem with Monica's health?
3. Describe how Mrs. Pusey was taken care of by her late husband?
4. Why does Edith remember when she wrote the book that Iris is reading?
5. Why was Edith never close to her mother?
6. How do Penelope and Edith differ when it comes to men?
7. Why does Edith close her eyes while sitting outside at the cafe downtown?
8. What is David's wife's reaction to him hinting that he is cheating on her?
9. Describe a woman that would be considered a tortoise by Edith.
10. What is required to become a guest at the Hotel du Lac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mr. Neville's terms of his marriage proposal. What can Edith expect socially from the marriage? Where is Edith expected to reside? What are the terms of Mr. Neville and Edith having affairs? What is Edith to expect from Mr. Neville's contribution to the marriage? Is the marriage proposal based on love?
Essay Topic 2
Edith's last letter to David discusses all the questions that the reader has accumulated throughout the book. Write about all the information the reader is given in this last letter. What did you find out about all of the past letters that Edith wrote in the book? How often did David and Edith meet? What was both Edith and David's commitment levels to their relationship? Why has David not contacted Edith?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Edith decides to no longer be friends with the Pusey women. What was the first impression that Edith received from the Pusey women? What part of this first impression started a negative feeling with Edith? How did Edith feel about Iris's reaction when the blouse maker left? How did Iris's birthday party make Edith feel about her? When Iris had the commotion in her room, what was the final straw with Edith concerning Iris's behavior?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)