|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Edith not write to David about Mr. Neville?
(a) Edith is afraid that David will come to the hotel.
(b) Mr. Neville asked her not to.
(c) Edith feels that it would be inappropriate.
(d) Edith is afraid that David won't see her anymore.
2. After Edith finishes writing the letter at the beginning of the story, what does she do next?
(a) She lays down for a nap.
(b) She makes a phone call.
(c) She unpacks.
(d) She looks out her window.
3. What does Monica tell Edith about Mme. de Bonneuil's son?
(a) He is deceased.
(b) He lives on a different continent.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He visits Mme. de Bonneuil only once a month and then forgets her.
4. Where is Edith originally from?
(d) The United States of America.
5. What does Edith tell David about in her letter in Chapter 6?
(a) Edith tells David that she got her haircut.
(b) Edith tells David that her identity as an author has been discovered.
(c) Edith tells David that she bought a new wardrobe while shopping with Monica.
(d) Edith tells David that she is coming home now.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which guest approaches Edith at her first dinner and asks her to join them for coffee?
2. What will happen if Monica doesn't give her husband what he wants?
3. What does Monica want out of her marriage?
4. In real life, what kind of animal does Edith think always gets the man?
5. Who do David's friends think that he is cheating on his wife with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edith think about the dynamics of the relationship between Iris and Jennifer Pusey?
2. How do Penelope and Edith differ when it comes to men?
3. Name three amenities that the Hotel du Lac does not have that many other hotels do.
4. Who initiates the meeting between Edith and Monica?
5. Describe a woman that would be considered a tortoise by Edith.
6. What is David's wife's reaction to him hinting that he is cheating on her?
7. What is the problem with Monica's marriage?
8. How did Edith meet David?
9. What is the problem with Monica's health?
10. What does Edith write in her first letter to David?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)