|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Penelope doing when Edith asked her about David for the first time?
(a) Washing dishes.
(b) Dusting her house.
(c) Folding the laundry.
(d) Making the bed.
2. What was the first thing that David ever said to Edith?
(a) "Your eyes are beautiful."
(b) "I must be getting back to the Rooms."
(c) "I think that I have found love at first sight."
(d) "I love your perfume."
3. What does Monica want out of her marriage?
(a) Political positioning.
(d) A child.
4. What is the tall, thin woman eating when Edith sees her at the cafe with the large glass windows?
(d) Hot Dog.
5. The Hotel du Lac has a reputation for what?
(a) Providing free breakfast.
(b) Providing free dry cleaning.
(c) Providing a five-star chef.
(d) Providing a quiet retreat.
6. The unnamed man at the cafe finds the idea that Edith may be a writer ________.
7. Why does Edith express fear towards Jennifer and Iris Pusey?
(a) She is afraid that they will hurt her.
(b) She is afraid that they will recognize her.
(c) She doesn't like the way they dress.
(d) She is always fearful in the presence of strong personalities.
8. Why do the Puseys stay at the hotel briefly each year?
(a) It is a shopping trip.
(b) To visit their family's grave site.
(c) To escape the cold from their home town.
(d) To see a doctor nearby.
9. What type of book did Edith reference when choosing which animals to use in her comparisons?
(a) Greek Mythology.
(b) Hans Christian Anderson tales.
(c) The Stories of Peter Rabbit.
(d) Aesop's fables.
10. Iris tells Edith in her hotel room that she always makes sure that Jennifer is fitted out how?
(a) Like a maid servant.
(b) Like a queen.
(c) With the bare essentials.
(d) Like an average citizen.
11. When Edith first gets to the hotel, who does she write a letter to?
(b) Mr. Neville.
(c) Her housekeeper.
(d) Her mother.
12. At what time does Edith insist that she and Monica head back to the hotel?
(a) 1:00 p.m..
(b) 2:00 p.m..
(c) 3:00 p.m..
(d) 12:00 p.m..
13. Who took Edith out to eat before she left for her trip in order to help raise her spirits?
(a) Her agent.
(b) Her neighbor.
(d) Her friend.
14. Why did Edith go through a period where she wrote for 10 hours a day?
(a) David was away with his wife in Greece.
(b) Edith's father had died.
(c) Edith was determined to finish her book.
(d) Penelope had died.
15. Who do David's friends think that he is cheating on his wife with?
(a) Young Secretaries.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His massage therapist.
(d) His babysitter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Edith go to as a child for comfort?
2. What does Penelope think about Edith's books?
3. What does Edith believe drives women into marriage?
4. What is wrong with Monica's health?
5. What happens when Edith wakes up from sleeping in Chapter 5?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)