|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first thing that David ever said to Edith?
(a) "Your eyes are beautiful."
(b) "I think that I have found love at first sight."
(c) "I love your perfume."
(d) "I must be getting back to the Rooms."
2. How does Monica speak of the Puseys?
3. When the thin woman doesn't eat any of her food, who eats it for her during dinner times?
(a) The cook.
(b) Her dog.
(c) Her friend.
(d) The maids.
4. What does Iris Pusey begin most of her sentences with?
(a) "Of course."
(b) "I don't think so."
5. Why has Monica's husband sent her away to stay at the hotel?
(a) To recuperate.
(b) So that Monica can have their baby.
(c) To get over a lover.
(d) So that he can take a lover.
6. When Edith had coffee with the Puseys after her first dinner, who controlled the conversation?
(a) Iris Pusey.
(b) Jennifer Pusey.
(d) Mme. de Bonneuil.
7. What kind of event did Edith first meet David at?
8. Why is Edith visiting the hotel?
(a) To take a break from her life.
(b) To see an old friend.
(c) To reunite with a love interest.
(d) To see the local tourist attractions.
9. What does Monica tell Edith about how Mme. de Bonneuil's feels about her son?
(a) Mme. de Bonneuil lives for her son.
(b) Mme. de Bonneuil likes her daughter better.
(c) Mme de Bonneuil doesn't know that she has a son.
(d) Mme. de Bonneuil doesn't like her son.
10. How did Iris's late husband provide for her?
(a) He spent all his money on alcohol because he was an alcoholic.
(b) He provided her with everything she desired.
(c) He gave all his money to his mistress instead.
(d) He was poor and couldn't provide for her.
11. Who wrote the book that Iris Pusey reads?
(d) Mr. Neville.
12. How does Edith view herself at the beginning of the story?
(a) A serious, responsible person.
(b) A talkative, spacey person.
(c) A sad, quiet person.
(d) A fun, light-hearted person.
13. Which guest approaches Edith at her first dinner and asks her to join them for coffee?
(a) Jennifer Pusey.
(b) The thin woman.
(c) Mme. de Bonneuil.
(d) Iris Pusey.
14. Why does Monica say that she is staying at the hotel?
(a) To write a book.
(b) Spa time.
(c) Her health.
15. Who staying at the Hotel Du Lac is closest to Edith's age?
(a) The woman with the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edith do while in the dining room for the first time?
2. In Chapter 2, why does Edith say that David leaves her at times?
3. When Edith sees the mother and daughter in the dining room, what does she comment to herself?
4. Iris tells Edith in her hotel room that she always makes sure that Jennifer is fitted out how?
5. What does the unnamed man from the cafe hand to Edith?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)