|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was referred to as the "Pragmatist Philosopher and Progressive Educator?"
2. Who is featured in Proponent of Educating the Heart and the Senses?
3. Where was Rousseau born?
4. In which year did Jefferson first enter political office?
5. What career did Montessori eventually adopt?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Maria Montessori live? What was the landscape of the women's movement in Italy at that time?
2. When did Mohandas Gandhi live? What was the landscape of the Indian government at that time?
3. What were Dewey's key steps to solving problems?
4. How did Addams develop her curriculum for Hull House? What was the basis of the curriculum?
5. How and when did Jean-Jacques Rousseau begin his academic career?
6. What was the basic educational background of Jane Addams? How did her ideas pertain to the socialization of education?
7. What was Jean-Jacques Rousseau's basic education history?
8. What was Dewey's career path? How was he affiliated with Hull House?
9. When did Paulo Freire live? What major events occurred in Brazil during Freire's life and career?
10. What was the basic educational background of Mary Wollstonecraft? How did it influence her work with women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many trends that are apparent throughout the text in regards to education. Which universities were attended the most? Were the universities influential? Which still exist? Why did the educators choose to attend and sometimes work at these particular schools? What were the educational barriers placed before the men and women as they attempted to enter college? Examine the benefits of university education as it applies to each educator.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the educational systems in China today versus those used in Confucius' day. What are the major changes? What are the similarities? How might things change in the next 20 years? 50 years? 100 years?
Essay Topic 3
Many changes occurred in the educational system during and after the Great Depression. Discuss the changes. How did Roosevelt support educational equality? How did it assist in overcoming ethnic barriers? How did the New Deal incorporate all races into the plan? Discuss what changes took place in local politics at the time.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)