|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Du Bois used a term "talented _____" to denote intellectually gifted elite of a race.
2. Traditional educators and the churches defended _______ as the core of necessary knowledge.
3. Which is not one of the universities attended by Du Bois?
4. When did this person live?
5. When did Froebel live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were liberal views received during the late 1700s in Europe?
2. What was the basic educational background of Mary Wollstonecraft? How did it influence her work with women?
3. When did Paulo Freire live? What major events occurred in Brazil during Freire's life and career?
4. What was the basic educational background of Jane Addams? How did her ideas pertain to the socialization of education?
5. How did Addams develop her curriculum for Hull House? What was the basis of the curriculum?
6. When did the first Montessori school open? What was its mission statement?
7. When did Maria Montessori live? What was the landscape of the women's movement in Italy at that time?
8. What was the basic educational background of Mohandas Gandhi? Gandhi's education led him to what type of career?
9. When did John Dewey live? How were Dewey's views shaped and by which events of the time?
10. What were Dewey's key steps to solving problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the legacy of Gandhi and the overall reform of India via its educational system.
Essay Topic 2
Maria Montessori saw a need to open a school in which the child was nurtured on various levels, more so than in typical situations. Examine Montessori's motives behind her plans. Also examine how the cultural differences and societal values changed the basic impact of the education of the child. Compare Monstessori's system to the systems most commonly used at the time. How does each impact a child on a psychological level? Which is the most beneficial for a child's development? Cite references from psychological journals to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ancient Greeks' contributions to modern education. Include the work of Plato and Aristotle. Compare and contrast the contributions of the ancient Greeks to the more modern educators such as Montessori and Froebel. Who made the biggest contribution? How did the other educators base their work upon the systems developed by the ancient Greeks? Give examples.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)