|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pestalozzi came from which country?
2. Who is the Advocate of Individualism, Science, and Social Darwinism?
3. Who was referred to as the "Pragmatist Philosopher and Progressive Educator?"
4. Traditional educators and the churches defended _______ as the core of necessary knowledge.
5. What percentage of Chicago residents were foreign-born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the basis of Jefferson's educational platform?
2. When did Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi live? How was Switzerland changing during this time? How was Pestalozzi affected?
3. How and when did Jean-Jacques Rousseau begin his academic career?
4. What were Dewey's key steps to solving problems?
5. When did Maria Montessori live? What was the landscape of the women's movement in Italy at that time?
6. What was the basic educational background of Jane Addams? How did her ideas pertain to the socialization of education?
7. When did Mary Wollstonecraft live? What major events occurred during this time that greatly affected Mary Wollstonecraft as a woman?
8. What was the basic educational background of Thomas Jefferson?
9. When did Mary Wollstonecraft live? What major events occurred during this time that greatly affected Mary Wollstonecraft as a woman?
10. How were liberal views received during the late 1700s in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maria Montessori saw a need to open a school in which the child was nurtured on various levels, more so than in typical situations. Examine Montessori's motives behind her plans. Also examine how the cultural differences and societal values changed the basic impact of the education of the child. Compare Monstessori's system to the systems most commonly used at the time. How does each impact a child on a psychological level? Which is the most beneficial for a child's development? Cite references from psychological journals to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the drastic changes that took place for children before, during and after the Industrial Revolution. How did child labor laws affect education? What were the pros and cons of requiring children to attend school instead of work? How did it affect America on a societal and commercial level?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Confucius as an educator. How did Confucius use his political connections to make changes in the educational system? How did Confucius' educational theories and systems agree and/or disagree with the Mandate of Heaven? How were the systems received by the Emperor? What systems are in place today that were made popular by Confucius?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)