|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pestalozzi came from which country?
2. In which year did Gandhi die?
3. What was Gandhi's profession?
4. What percentage of Chicago residents were foreign-born?
5. Who was the Founder of the Kindergarten?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were liberal views received during the late 1700s in Europe?
2. When did Paulo Freire live? What major events occurred in Brazil during Freire's life and career?
3. What was the basic educational background of John Dewey?
4. How and when did Jean-Jacques Rousseau begin his academic career?
5. Discuss Rousseau's book, "Emile" and its premise.
6. Why was Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi's work centered on educating the heart and senses?
7. What was Dewey's career path? How was he affiliated with Hull House?
8. What was the basic educational background of Mary Wollstonecraft? How did it influence her work with women?
9. How did Addams develop her curriculum for Hull House? What was the basis of the curriculum?
10. When did the first Montessori school open? What was its mission statement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many changes occurred in the educational system during and after the Great Depression. Discuss the changes. How did Roosevelt support educational equality? How did it assist in overcoming ethnic barriers? How did the New Deal incorporate all races into the plan? Discuss what changes took place in local politics at the time.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least three of the educators in the book from different eras. Educators might include Jefferson, Confucius, and Plato.
Essay Topic 3
Maria Montessori saw a need to open a school in which the child was nurtured on various levels, more so than in typical situations. Examine Montessori's motives behind her plans. Also examine how the cultural differences and societal values changed the basic impact of the education of the child. Compare Monstessori's system to the systems most commonly used at the time. How does each impact a child on a psychological level? Which is the most beneficial for a child's development? Cite references from psychological journals to back up your opinion.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)