|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old political order that existed in Gandhi's time originated in which year?
2. When did this person live?
3. Who is featured in Proponent of Educating the Heart and the Senses?
4. Which country had a heavy influence on Swiss politics?
5. Gandhi went to _____ to further his education.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the basic educational background of Mary Wollstonecraft? How did it influence her work with women?
2. What was the basic educational background of Thomas Jefferson?
3. What was the basis of Jefferson's educational platform?
4. When did the first Montessori school open? What was its mission statement?
5. When did Maria Montessori live? What was the landscape of the women's movement in Italy at that time?
6. What was Dewey's career path? How was he affiliated with Hull House?
7. How and when did Jean-Jacques Rousseau begin his academic career?
8. When did W.E.B. Du Bois live? What major events occurred during this time and how did they affect the African-American community?
9. How were liberal views received during the late 1700s in Europe?
10. What was the basic educational background of John Dewey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Confucius as an educator. How did Confucius use his political connections to make changes in the educational system? How did Confucius' educational theories and systems agree and/or disagree with the Mandate of Heaven? How were the systems received by the Emperor? What systems are in place today that were made popular by Confucius?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of discussion about overcoming and changing negative behaviors through changes in the educational system. How can negative behavior be stopped or changed? What are some common views on the subject? In what ways did changes in the educational system help a person make the changes? Can someone else direct the changes or must the changes be self-imposed? How can one make sure that the changes stick? In your opinion, what is the best way to make more positive decisions?
Essay Topic 3
There are many trends that are apparent throughout the text in regards to education. Which universities were attended the most? Were the universities influential? Which still exist? Why did the educators choose to attend and sometimes work at these particular schools? What were the educational barriers placed before the men and women as they attempted to enter college? Examine the benefits of university education as it applies to each educator.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)