|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is in the top five recording artists of Penny?
2. What is one of the things Rob did before Laura left?
3. Who says, "I don't care if you've got the blues. It's OK. And I wasn't fooled by you acting all cool about... what's her name"?
4. Who does the narrator indicate is notably NOT on the list of the top five breakups?
5. Who did the narrator meet at the club where he deejayed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the narrator's parents when he goes to visit them? What does he do?
2. What does the narrator do in times of trouble? How does this console him?
3. Describe the character of Barry. What does he do for employment?
4. Why do Barry and Rob have a fight in Chapter 9?
5. What does Rob say when he thinks of the progression of his and Laura's relationship?
6. What were the narrator's first two relationships like and how did they end?
7. How does Rob end up sleeping with Marie? How does Rob feel about their interaction?
8. What does Rob ask Laura about Ian in Chapter 10? What does she respond?
9. Where does the protagonist work? How does he describe this place?
10. What does the protagonist think when he sees the record collection of the woman who called? Why does she have the price she does for the collection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rob as a symbol for "modern man." In what ways does this character's traits reflect an entire generation? How do his actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss music as both a symbol and a theme in the novel. What does music symbolize to each of the main characters? How is it thematic to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Define the terms "colloquialism," "idiom," and "dialogue." Discuss some of the colloquialism and idioms from the text and what they mean. Do the colloquialisms limit the novel? Were they used in the other adaptations? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)