|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week is the busiest at Rob's shop?
2. What does the narrator refer to Marie is regarding the bathroom trip at her house?
3. How much time has passed between Laura's leaving and the phone call from the woman with the album collection?
4. What is the name of the neighborhood where the narrator lives?
5. What is the name of the friend who was dating Jackie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction does Barry have with a customer in the shop that angers Rob? How does he react?
2. How does the main character react to the pricing of the record collection?
3. What does the protagonist think of the idea of going to the movies with his parents? Who does he see at the cinema who depresses him?
4. What does the protagonist think when he sees the record collection of the woman who called? Why does she have the price she does for the collection?
5. What does Rob ask Laura when they meet at a pub in Chapter 14? What does she reply?
6. Where are the narrator's parents when he goes to visit them? What does he do?
7. What were the narrator's first two relationships like and how did they end?
8. Who is Laura? How long has the protagonist known her?
9. What does the narrator do in times of trouble? How does this console him?
10. What happens when the narrator's mother calls in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss music as both a symbol and a theme in the novel. What does music symbolize to each of the main characters? How is it thematic to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main character in High Fidelity. How do we know this character's thoughts and feelings? What are the objectives which drive the character's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of love and relationships in High Fidelity. How does this theme apply to all of the characters? How does it drive forward the action of the novel?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)