|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the favor Hagrid needs the children to do for him?
2. Why does Harry suspect Kreacher has been up to mischief when the house elf finally reappears?
3. What does Kreacher tell Harry and Hermione about Sirius when they talk through the Floo powder?
4. Who does Hagrid save before escaping into the Forbidden Forest?
5. What does Dumbledore say will happen if Minister Fudge's Aurors attack him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors lead into Harry deciding he wants to become an Auror?
2. Why do you think Voldemort is afraid of Dumbledore?
3. Why does Harry destroy so many items in Dumbledore's office after returning from the Ministry?
4. What is so impressive about Hagrid's fight with Umbridge and her goons?
5. What reaction does Umbridge have to the O.W.L. examiners?
6. What light does Firenze's banishment from his people shed on the social structure of the wizarding world?
7. Why are the centaurs angry with Hagrid, and what makes them decide not to attack him?
8. Do you think Snape was being truthful or that he was helping Harry when he told Umbridge he had no more truth potion? Give details that support your assertion.
9. What causes McGonagall to vow that she will see Harry an Auror if it's the last thing she does?
10. Why are the teachers secretly delighted at the way Fred and George react to Umbridge's new position of Headmaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rowling seems to associate Coming of Age with painful experiences. Do you agree that the characters must develop a sense of mortality in order to mature and come of age? Support your assertion with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Despite being aligned with "good", several of the main characters of the novel dabble in morally ambiguous behavior in order to accomplish an end. Discuss the dilemma between what is more important to the heroes and heroines of the story: the journey or the destination.
Essay Topic 3
The Ministry of Magic clearly plays a large role in the novel, taking over Hogwarts bit by bit with an inside agent. Discuss the role of the Ministry of Magic, as both a foil to Dumbledore and also as a representation of the dangers of censorship and governmental control of education.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)