|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Firenze banished by the other centaurs?
2. Why is McGonagall taken to the infirmary?
3. What happens between Harry and Cho when they first meet again after the holiday break?
4. Why do the centaurs end up taking Umbridge away?
5. Where do the children find themselves after entering the black door from Harry's dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Sirius and Snape have a near-violent argument just before the children return to Hogwarts from the holiday break?
2. What is unusual about Dumbledore's demeanor when fighting Voldemort?
3. Why is Harry so disturbed when he views Snape's memory in the Pensieve?
4. Do you think Snape was being truthful or that he was helping Harry when he told Umbridge he had no more truth potion? Give details that support your assertion.
5. Why do you think Voldemort is afraid of Dumbledore?
6. What causes McGonagall to vow that she will see Harry an Auror if it's the last thing she does?
7. Despite Umbridge's reaction, what is heartening to Harry about how people respond to the newspaper article about his encounter with Voldemort?
8. Why is it significant that Harry is able to repel Snape from his mind only when Snape tries to see the memory of Harry and Cho kissing?
9. What reaction does Umbridge have to the O.W.L. examiners?
10. Why does Harry have such a difficult time understanding Cho's feelings and reaction during their first date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women in this novel are often seen in a grim or sinister light. Discuss the women of the novel and in what way their interactions with Harry contribute to his character development.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between the Magical and Mundane within the setting of the novel. What impact does each have on the main characters and their development? How does this influence the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine fully the dynamic between the relative values of Education and Experience within the novel. What characters demonstrate each trait, and what seems to be Rowling's final position on the importance of one versus the other?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)