|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Draco swear to do when he meets Harry back at Hogwarts after the battle at the Ministry?
2. Why does Harry break into Umbridge's office after his career counseling session?
3. What is Firenze's opinion of the human approach to Divination?
4. Why won't Dumbledore let Harry leave his office when Harry begins throwing things around?
5. What is the response of the general Hogwarts population to Fred and George's leave-taking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite Umbridge's reaction, what is heartening to Harry about how people respond to the newspaper article about his encounter with Voldemort?
2. Do you think Sirius has any responsibility for his own fate when he is hit by a spell and disappears through the archway? Explain.
3. What could have prompted Marietta to betray the D.A. and get Harry into trouble?
4. Why is Luna able to comfort Harry about Sirius' death when no one else can?
5. Why is Harry so disturbed when he views Snape's memory in the Pensieve?
6. What is so impressive about Hagrid's fight with Umbridge and her goons?
7. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
8. Why do Sirius and Snape have a near-violent argument just before the children return to Hogwarts from the holiday break?
9. Why does Harry have such a difficult time understanding Cho's feelings and reaction during their first date?
10. What factors lead into Harry deciding he wants to become an Auror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Harry's great strengths has traditionally been his ability and willingness to place faith in others. Discuss the many leaps of faith that Harry takes throughout the novel, and how they change as the story progresses and he matures. What do the changes show about his personal development? Does his continual faith in others display optimism or naivete?
Essay Topic 2
Despite being aligned with "good", several of the main characters of the novel dabble in morally ambiguous behavior in order to accomplish an end. Discuss the dilemma between what is more important to the heroes and heroines of the story: the journey or the destination.
Essay Topic 3
Dumbledore is one of the most mysterious and powerful characters within the setting of the novel. Discuss the archetype represented by Dumbledore, and how this symbolic figure impacts the protagonists and their growth.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)