|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry try to do when he realizes Sirius has disappeared through the archway?
2. What does Kreacher tell Harry and Hermione about Sirius when they talk through the Floo powder?
3. Why does Dumbledore feel culpable for Sirius' death?
4. Why does Nearly Headless Nick tell Harry he's not likely to see Sirius as a ghost?
5. Why won't Dumbledore let Harry leave his office when Harry begins throwing things around?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harry's reaction to learning Cho Chang has been dating another boy?
2. What reaction does Umbridge have to the O.W.L. examiners?
3. What aspect of Umbridge's personality becomes her undoing in the novel?
4. Why are the teachers secretly delighted at the way Fred and George react to Umbridge's new position of Headmaster?
5. Why do you think Voldemort is afraid of Dumbledore?
6. Why are the centaurs angry with Hagrid, and what makes them decide not to attack him?
7. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
8. Why do Sirius and Snape have a near-violent argument just before the children return to Hogwarts from the holiday break?
9. Why does Harry have such a difficult time understanding Cho's feelings and reaction during their first date?
10. Why do Harry and Hermione decide to wait to tell Ron about Hagrid's brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagrid is one of the most important figures in the lives of Harry, Ron and Hermione despite being absent for a large chunk of the novel. Discuss in detail how his behavior serves as a model for the children and whether that ends up being a positive or negative influence. Choose specific characteristics and actions that have significant impact on the story.
Essay Topic 2
Women in this novel are often seen in a grim or sinister light. Discuss the women of the novel and in what way their interactions with Harry contribute to his character development.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict between races in the novel, and how the author uses this conflict to illuminate attitudes and challenges in modern society.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)