|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact about Rita Skeeter does Hermione threaten to reveal?
2. What attracts the Thestrals to Harry and Hermione after their encounter with the centaurs?
3. Why do the centaurs end up taking Umbridge away?
4. What room are the children forced into when they run from the Death Eaters in the Department of Mysteries?
5. What D.A. student shows the greatest improvement in the wake of the Death Eaters' escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors lead into Harry deciding he wants to become an Auror?
2. Why do Harry and Hermione decide to wait to tell Ron about Hagrid's brother?
3. Do you think Snape was being truthful or that he was helping Harry when he told Umbridge he had no more truth potion? Give details that support your assertion.
4. Why does Harry destroy so many items in Dumbledore's office after returning from the Ministry?
5. Why is Harry so determined to continue pressing forward, even against his friends' advice?
6. Why do you think the room with the orbs is so hard to get to?
7. What reaction does Umbridge have to the O.W.L. examiners?
8. Why is Luna able to comfort Harry about Sirius' death when no one else can?
9. Why is Harry so disturbed when he views Snape's memory in the Pensieve?
10. What is Harry's reaction to learning Cho Chang has been dating another boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most characters in the novel are not perfect because that they have flaws either in their present or in their past. By exposing these flaws, the reader and main characters are exposed to the concept of Redemption. What role do you believe Redemption plays in Harry's growth throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Ron and Hermione argue passionately over the plight of the House Elves at Hogwarts. Whose position do you agree with, and why? What role does slavery play in this novel? Does it affect anyone other than the House Elves?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is significant in the names Rowling chooses for the characters, objects and places in the novel. Choose two symbolic names and demonstrate how they foreshadow the action of the plot.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)