|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry refuse the beverage Umbridge offers him when she summons him after being named Headmaster?
2. Why does Harry wish for death when Voldemort possesses him?
3. What does Harry witness during his Astrology exam?
4. What causes Snape to leave Harry's Occlumency lesson after Umbridge is appointed Headmaster?
5. Who does Dumbledore appoint as the new Divination professor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harry's reaction to learning Cho Chang has been dating another boy?
2. What is unusual about Dumbledore's demeanor when fighting Voldemort?
3. Why do Harry and Hermione decide to wait to tell Ron about Hagrid's brother?
4. What light does Firenze's banishment from his people shed on the social structure of the wizarding world?
5. Why is Harry so determined to continue pressing forward, even against his friends' advice?
6. What reaction does Umbridge have to the O.W.L. examiners?
7. What could have prompted Marietta to betray the D.A. and get Harry into trouble?
8. What is the purpose of Umbridge's new decree that prohibits teachers from giving students information beyond their course curriculum?
9. Why was it so important for Harry to remain with his horrible family while growing up?
10. Why are the teachers secretly delighted at the way Fred and George react to Umbridge's new position of Headmaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women in this novel are often seen in a grim or sinister light. Discuss the women of the novel and in what way their interactions with Harry contribute to his character development.
Essay Topic 2
Rowling seems to associate Coming of Age with painful experiences. Do you agree that the characters must develop a sense of mortality in order to mature and come of age? Support your assertion with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Harry's parents are dead, yet he has a male role model in the character of his godfather, Sirius Black. Analyze the friendship between the two, and show how their similarities and differences cause challenges in their relationship.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)