|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Voldemort to finally materialize in the Ministry lobby?
2. What exam do Ron and Harry both do poorly on?
3. What does Harry see when he daydreams during his History of Magic exam?
4. Why does Harry protest his friends accompanying him to the Ministry of Magic?
5. Why was Firenze banished by the other centaurs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Voldemort is afraid of Dumbledore?
2. What causes McGonagall to vow that she will see Harry an Auror if it's the last thing she does?
3. Despite Umbridge's reaction, what is heartening to Harry about how people respond to the newspaper article about his encounter with Voldemort?
4. What light does Firenze's banishment from his people shed on the social structure of the wizarding world?
5. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
6. What is unusual about Dumbledore's demeanor when fighting Voldemort?
7. What is Harry's reaction to learning Cho Chang has been dating another boy?
8. Why is it disturbing to see the lengths Hermione will go to to clear Harry's name?
9. What makes the presence of Bellatrix Lestrange so important in Chapter 35?
10. Do you think Sirius has any responsibility for his own fate when he is hit by a spell and disappears through the archway? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dumbledore tells Harry at the end of the story that he wishes he had told him about the prophecy sooner. What would have changed if Harry had known about the prophecy? Would it have been a positive or negative change for the character's growth?
Essay Topic 2
The romance between Harry and Cho plagues him throughout the novel as he attempts to navigate through her complex emotional state. What would have needed to be different for their romance to work? Would it have made a difference to the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine fully the dynamic between the relative values of Education and Experience within the novel. What characters demonstrate each trait, and what seems to be Rowling's final position on the importance of one versus the other?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)