|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermione advise Harry to do when she learns he is still dreaming about the hallway inside the Ministry?
2. What keeps Voldemort from killing Harry with his death spell?
3. What is shocking about Harry's fight with Lestrange?
4. What room are the children forced into when they run from the Death Eaters in the Department of Mysteries?
5. What is Umbridge's first action upon being named the new Headmaster of Hogwarts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harry's reaction to learning Cho Chang has been dating another boy?
2. What is unusual about Dumbledore's demeanor when fighting Voldemort?
3. Why does such a large group of students want to accompany Harry to the Ministry of Magic?
4. Why is Harry so disturbed when he views Snape's memory in the Pensieve?
5. Why was it so important for Harry to remain with his horrible family while growing up?
6. Why does Harry have such a difficult time understanding Cho's feelings and reaction during their first date?
7. Do you think Snape was being truthful or that he was helping Harry when he told Umbridge he had no more truth potion? Give details that support your assertion.
8. Why do you think Voldemort is afraid of Dumbledore?
9. Why is Harry so determined to continue pressing forward, even against his friends' advice?
10. What makes the presence of Bellatrix Lestrange so important in Chapter 35?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rowling seems to associate Coming of Age with painful experiences. Do you agree that the characters must develop a sense of mortality in order to mature and come of age? Support your assertion with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Dumbledore is one of the most mysterious and powerful characters within the setting of the novel. Discuss the archetype represented by Dumbledore, and how this symbolic figure impacts the protagonists and their growth.
Essay Topic 3
Dumbledore tells Harry at the end of the story that he wishes he had told him about the prophecy sooner. What would have changed if Harry had known about the prophecy? Would it have been a positive or negative change for the character's growth?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)