|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first informational meeting of the Defense Against the Dark Arts club held?
2. What travel method was used to escort Harry from the Dursleys' home to the Order of the Phoenix?
3. What does Harry do to earn another week of detention with Professor Umbridge?
4. What do members of the Slytherin House do during the match that fiercely demoralizes Ron?
5. What does Umbridge taunt Snape about when she sits in on his Potions class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
2. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
3. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
4. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
5. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
6. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
7. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
8. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
9. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
10. Name two reasons that Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place is important to Harry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adults and children exist in an interesting gray area in this novel, where many lines of authority and trust are crossed. Discuss the morphing relationship between adults and children in the novel. How do these changes and relationships lead to development for the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine fully the dynamic between the relative values of Education and Experience within the novel. What characters demonstrate each trait, and what seems to be Rowling's final position on the importance of one versus the other?
Essay Topic 3
Dumbledore tells Harry at the end of the story that he wishes he had told him about the prophecy sooner. What would have changed if Harry had known about the prophecy? Would it have been a positive or negative change for the character's growth?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)