|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Hermione chastises Fred and George for a new product they have developed and are testing on first-year students. What product are they testing on the first-years?
2. What does Umbridge taunt Snape about when she sits in on his Potions class?
3. What do Sirius and Mrs. Weasley argue about in Chapter Five?
4. What happens when McGonagall tries to discipline Harry and George for their poor sportsmanship?
5. How did the Black family's beliefs differ from those of Sirius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so unusual about the song the Sorting Hat sings at the beginning of Chapter 11? What could that mean for the students of Hogwarts?
2. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
3. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
4. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
5. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
6. Why did Dumbledore send Hagrid to attempt negotiations with the giants?
7. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
8. Given that he has never met many of the guards that come to rescue him, what does Harry's choice to leave the Dursleys' reveal about his character?
9. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
10. What upsets Ron so much about the letter he receives from his older brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine fully the dynamic between the relative values of Education and Experience within the novel. What characters demonstrate each trait, and what seems to be Rowling's final position on the importance of one versus the other?
Essay Topic 2
Family is a recurring and tremendously important theme in the novel. Discuss how Family impacts Harry at different points in the novel, and how this helps to further the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Rowling seems to associate Coming of Age with painful experiences. Do you agree that the characters must develop a sense of mortality in order to mature and come of age? Support your assertion with details from the novel.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)