|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry discover about the pain he feels in his scar on occasion?
2. What Ministry employee has been sent to Hogwarts as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?
3. Why is it difficult for Harry to summon his Patronus Charm?
4. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
5. In Chapter 13, what secret of Ron's does Harry learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
2. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
3. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
4. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
5. Why does Harry stay awake all night before going to visit Mr. Weasley at the hospital?
6. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
7. Given that he has never met many of the guards that come to rescue him, what does Harry's choice to leave the Dursleys' reveal about his character?
8. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
9. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
10. What does Harry notice about the carriages that take students from the train to Hogwarts proper, and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most characters in the novel are not perfect because that they have flaws either in their present or in their past. By exposing these flaws, the reader and main characters are exposed to the concept of Redemption. What role do you believe Redemption plays in Harry's growth throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Dumbledore tells Harry at the end of the story that he wishes he had told him about the prophecy sooner. What would have changed if Harry had known about the prophecy? Would it have been a positive or negative change for the character's growth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict between races in the novel, and how the author uses this conflict to illuminate attitudes and challenges in modern society.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)