|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Ron make during the first Quidditch practice that results in it being canceled?
2. How many goals does the Gryffindor Quidditch team score in their first match of the season?
3. Why does Hermione begin to question whether it's a good idea to meet in their secret club?
4. Where are the children sent to wait for more news about Mr. Weasley's condition after his attack?
5. Why does Sirius end up escorting Ron, Harry and Hermione to the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
2. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
3. What is so unusual about the song the Sorting Hat sings at the beginning of Chapter 11? What could that mean for the students of Hogwarts?
4. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
5. What success did Hagrid have in accomplishing his mission?
6. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
7. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
8. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
9. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
10. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurring and tremendously important theme in the novel. Discuss how Family impacts Harry at different points in the novel, and how this helps to further the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Hagrid is one of the most important figures in the lives of Harry, Ron and Hermione despite being absent for a large chunk of the novel. Discuss in detail how his behavior serves as a model for the children and whether that ends up being a positive or negative influence. Choose specific characteristics and actions that have significant impact on the story.
Essay Topic 3
Despite being aligned with "good", several of the main characters of the novel dabble in morally ambiguous behavior in order to accomplish an end. Discuss the dilemma between what is more important to the heroes and heroines of the story: the journey or the destination.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)