|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dumbledore tell Harry when they speak after the hearing?
2. Why is the Gryffindor Quidditch practice cancelled?
3. Where is the first informational meeting of the Defense Against the Dark Arts club held?
4. What mistake does Ron make during the first Quidditch practice that results in it being canceled?
5. What space does Harry discover that is perfect for D.A. meetings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
2. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
3. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
4. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
5. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
6. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
7. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
8. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
9. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
10. What success did Hagrid have in accomplishing his mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine fully the dynamic between the relative values of Education and Experience within the novel. What characters demonstrate each trait, and what seems to be Rowling's final position on the importance of one versus the other?
Essay Topic 2
Most characters in the novel are not perfect because that they have flaws either in their present or in their past. By exposing these flaws, the reader and main characters are exposed to the concept of Redemption. What role do you believe Redemption plays in Harry's growth throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between the Magical and Mundane within the setting of the novel. What impact does each have on the main characters and their development? How does this influence the outcome of the novel?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)