|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two characters witnessed Harry's Patronus Charm?
2. After learning of the attack on Mr. Weasley, why does Dumbledore send former Headmaster paintings to search for him?
3. Where are the children sent to wait for more news about Mr. Weasley's condition after his attack?
4. What causes Harry and George to attack Draco Malfoy after the first Quidditch match between Slytherin and Gryffindor?
5. What Ministry employee has been sent to Hogwarts as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
2. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
3. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
4. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
5. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
6. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
7. How does Hermione explain Cho's see-sawing emotions to Harry, and why is her perception unusual?
8. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
9. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
10. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ministry of Magic clearly plays a large role in the novel, taking over Hogwarts bit by bit with an inside agent. Discuss the role of the Ministry of Magic, as both a foil to Dumbledore and also as a representation of the dangers of censorship and governmental control of education.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is significant in the names Rowling chooses for the characters, objects and places in the novel. Choose two symbolic names and demonstrate how they foreshadow the action of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Harry's parents are dead, yet he has a male role model in the character of his godfather, Sirius Black. Analyze the friendship between the two, and show how their similarities and differences cause challenges in their relationship.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)