|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the current leader of the giants of great concern to Dumbledore?
2. Just before leaving for the holidays, who does Harry dream is attacked by a giant snake?
3. In Hagrid's first lesson, what kind of creature does he show the children in the Forbidden Forest?
4. In Chapter 13, Hermione chastises Fred and George for a new product they have developed and are testing on first-year students. What product are they testing on the first-years?
5. Why does Hermione begin to question whether it's a good idea to meet in their secret club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
2. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
3. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
4. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
5. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
6. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
7. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
8. What success did Hagrid have in accomplishing his mission?
9. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
10. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dumbledore tells Harry at the end of the story that he wishes he had told him about the prophecy sooner. What would have changed if Harry had known about the prophecy? Would it have been a positive or negative change for the character's growth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict between races in the novel, and how the author uses this conflict to illuminate attitudes and challenges in modern society.
Essay Topic 3
Harry's parents are dead, yet he has a male role model in the character of his godfather, Sirius Black. Analyze the friendship between the two, and show how their similarities and differences cause challenges in their relationship.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)