|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the current leader of the giants of great concern to Dumbledore?
2. What does Ron express an interest in becoming once he's graduated from Hogwarts?
3. Just before leaving for the holidays, who does Harry dream is attacked by a giant snake?
4. What favor does Hermione ask Harry to do for the Hogwarts students?
5. Why does Harry arrive late to his hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
2. What is so unusual about the song the Sorting Hat sings at the beginning of Chapter 11? What could that mean for the students of Hogwarts?
3. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
4. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
5. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
6. What success did Hagrid have in accomplishing his mission?
7. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
8. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
9. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
10. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ministry of Magic clearly plays a large role in the novel, taking over Hogwarts bit by bit with an inside agent. Discuss the role of the Ministry of Magic, as both a foil to Dumbledore and also as a representation of the dangers of censorship and governmental control of education.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict between races in the novel, and how the author uses this conflict to illuminate attitudes and challenges in modern society.
Essay Topic 3
Dumbledore tells Harry at the end of the story that he wishes he had told him about the prophecy sooner. What would have changed if Harry had known about the prophecy? Would it have been a positive or negative change for the character's growth?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)