|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Harry and friends see in the flames while speaking with Sirius that alarms them?
2. Why is Sirius the happiest Harry has ever seen during the holidays?
3. In Chapter 13, Hermione chastises Fred and George for a new product they have developed and are testing on first-year students. What product are they testing on the first-years?
4. What seems strange about Harry facing the Wizengamot?
5. Why did Percy have a falling out with his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
2. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
3. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
4. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
5. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
6. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
7. Why does Harry stay awake all night before going to visit Mr. Weasley at the hospital?
8. What action, on the part of the Ministry of Magic, shows how serious they are about undermining Dumbledore's influence?
9. What does Harry notice about the carriages that take students from the train to Hogwarts proper, and why is it significant?
10. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between the Magical and Mundane within the setting of the novel. What impact does each have on the main characters and their development? How does this influence the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Rowling seems to associate Coming of Age with painful experiences. Do you agree that the characters must develop a sense of mortality in order to mature and come of age? Support your assertion with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Harry's parents are dead, yet he has a male role model in the character of his godfather, Sirius Black. Analyze the friendship between the two, and show how their similarities and differences cause challenges in their relationship.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)