|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Aunt Petunia decide Harry must be allowed to stay?
2. What does Cho Chang tell Harry at the end of Chapter 18 that makes him secretly happy?
3. What two characters witnessed Harry's Patronus Charm?
4. The Order of the Phoenix Headquarters are housed in the ancestral home of which character?
5. How long does Harry wait for news after sending his letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
2. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
3. Why does Harry stay awake all night before going to visit Mr. Weasley at the hospital?
4. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
5. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
6. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
7. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
8. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
9. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
10. How does Hermione explain Cho's see-sawing emotions to Harry, and why is her perception unusual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict between races in the novel, and how the author uses this conflict to illuminate attitudes and challenges in modern society.
Essay Topic 2
The many students of Hogwarts express themselves in a variety of ways, with the common theme of the eternal struggle between personal choice and external expectations. Explore how family, society or other authority figures place expectations on the students, and the ways in which different characters express their individuality. How successful are they in this expression? Does it have positive or negative results for the character within the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Ron and Hermione argue passionately over the plight of the House Elves at Hogwarts. Whose position do you agree with, and why? What role does slavery play in this novel? Does it affect anyone other than the House Elves?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)