|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Harry end up sitting with Ron and Hermione on the train?
2. To whom does Harry write letters at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What does Mr. Weasley tell the children about his attack?
4. Why is Sirius the happiest Harry has ever seen during the holidays?
5. What causes Harry and George to attack Draco Malfoy after the first Quidditch match between Slytherin and Gryffindor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
2. What success did Hagrid have in accomplishing his mission?
3. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
4. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
5. What action, on the part of the Ministry of Magic, shows how serious they are about undermining Dumbledore's influence?
6. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
7. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
8. How does Hermione explain Cho's see-sawing emotions to Harry, and why is her perception unusual?
9. What upsets Ron so much about the letter he receives from his older brother?
10. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most characters in the novel are not perfect because that they have flaws either in their present or in their past. By exposing these flaws, the reader and main characters are exposed to the concept of Redemption. What role do you believe Redemption plays in Harry's growth throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between the Magical and Mundane within the setting of the novel. What impact does each have on the main characters and their development? How does this influence the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is significant in the names Rowling chooses for the characters, objects and places in the novel. Choose two symbolic names and demonstrate how they foreshadow the action of the plot.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)