|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do George and Fred keep taking things they find in the Black House?
2. Why does Hagrid choose to ignore Hermione's advice about changing his curriculum?
3. What person was in disguise watching the children during their first meeting of Dumbledore's Army?
4. What explanation does Hagrid give for his extended absence?
5. What does Dumbledore tell Harry when they speak after the hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harry so disturbed when he views Snape's memory in the Pensieve?
2. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
3. What causes McGonagall to vow that she will see Harry an Auror if it's the last thing she does?
4. Why is Luna able to comfort Harry about Sirius' death when no one else can?
5. What reaction does Umbridge have to the O.W.L. examiners?
6. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
7. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
8. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
9. Why is it disturbing to see the lengths Hermione will go to to clear Harry's name?
10. What is so impressive about Hagrid's fight with Umbridge and her goons?
Essay Topic 1
Dumbledore is one of the most mysterious and powerful characters within the setting of the novel. Discuss the archetype represented by Dumbledore, and how this symbolic figure impacts the protagonists and their growth.
Essay Topic 2
Examine fully the dynamic between the relative values of Education and Experience within the novel. What characters demonstrate each trait, and what seems to be Rowling's final position on the importance of one versus the other?
Essay Topic 3
Harry's parents are dead, yet he has a male role model in the character of his godfather, Sirius Black. Analyze the friendship between the two, and show how their similarities and differences cause challenges in their relationship.
This section contains 1,779 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)