|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry do to earn another week of detention with Professor Umbridge?
2. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
3. Why did Percy have a falling out with his parents?
4. What favor does Hermione ask Harry to do for the Hogwarts students?
5. What do the members of the Order realize while exchanging gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
2. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
3. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
4. Why do you think the room with the orbs is so hard to get to?
5. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
6. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
7. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
8. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
9. What is the purpose of Umbridge's new decree that prohibits teachers from giving students information beyond their course curriculum?
10. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
Essay Topic 1
One of Harry's great strengths has traditionally been his ability and willingness to place faith in others. Discuss the many leaps of faith that Harry takes throughout the novel, and how they change as the story progresses and he matures. What do the changes show about his personal development? Does his continual faith in others display optimism or naivete?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between the Magical and Mundane within the setting of the novel. What impact does each have on the main characters and their development? How does this influence the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Harry's parents are dead, yet he has a male role model in the character of his godfather, Sirius Black. Analyze the friendship between the two, and show how their similarities and differences cause challenges in their relationship.
This section contains 1,904 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)