|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sorting Hat do in Chapter 11 that is unusual?
2. Why is the current leader of the giants of great concern to Dumbledore?
3. What prevents Hagrid from making good progress towards achieving his mission?
4. What cuts short the children's first visit with Hagrid after his return to Hogwarts?
5. What two characters witnessed Harry's Patronus Charm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
2. What upsets Ron so much about the letter he receives from his older brother?
3. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
4. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
5. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
6. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
7. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
8. Name two reasons that Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place is important to Harry.
9. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
10. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rowling seems to associate Coming of Age with painful experiences. Do you agree that the characters must develop a sense of mortality in order to mature and come of age? Support your assertion with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The Ministry of Magic clearly plays a large role in the novel, taking over Hogwarts bit by bit with an inside agent. Discuss the role of the Ministry of Magic, as both a foil to Dumbledore and also as a representation of the dangers of censorship and governmental control of education.
Essay Topic 3
Family is a recurring and tremendously important theme in the novel. Discuss how Family impacts Harry at different points in the novel, and how this helps to further the plot.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)