Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry do to earn another week of detention with Professor Umbridge?
2. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
3. Why did Percy have a falling out with his parents?
4. What favor does Hermione ask Harry to do for the Hogwarts students?
5. What do the members of the Order realize while exchanging gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
2. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
3. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
4. Why do you think the room with the orbs is so hard to get to?
5. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
6. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
7. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
8. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
9. What is the purpose of Umbridge's new decree that prohibits teachers from giving students information beyond their course curriculum?
10. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
Ron and Hermione argue passionately over the plight of the House Elves at Hogwarts. Whose position do you agree with, and why? What role does slavery play in this novel? Does it affect anyone other than the House Elves?
Harry's parents are dead, yet he has a male role model in the character of his godfather, Sirius Black. Analyze the friendship between the two, and show how their similarities and differences cause challenges in their relationship.
Family is a recurring and tremendously important theme in the novel. Discuss how Family impacts Harry at different points in the novel, and how this helps to further the plot.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)