|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagrid learn about his mother on his trip?
2. Why is Harry secretly upset in Chapter 9?
3. Why did Percy have a falling out with his parents?
4. How long does Harry wait for news after sending his letters?
5. Why does Hermione begin to question whether it's a good idea to meet in their secret club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dumbledore send Hagrid to attempt negotiations with the giants?
2. What is so unusual about the song the Sorting Hat sings at the beginning of Chapter 11? What could that mean for the students of Hogwarts?
3. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
4. What upsets Ron so much about the letter he receives from his older brother?
5. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
6. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
7. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
8. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
9. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
10. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ministry of Magic clearly plays a large role in the novel, taking over Hogwarts bit by bit with an inside agent. Discuss the role of the Ministry of Magic, as both a foil to Dumbledore and also as a representation of the dangers of censorship and governmental control of education.
Essay Topic 2
The wizarding world is highly divided by both race and familial ties, with family lineage playing a large role in one's social standing. Choose one main character and discuss thoroughly the impact "blood" has on the character and their values. Be sure to include external and internal factors that contribute to this personal development.
Essay Topic 3
Ron and Hermione argue passionately over the plight of the House Elves at Hogwarts. Whose position do you agree with, and why? What role does slavery play in this novel? Does it affect anyone other than the House Elves?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)