|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Gryffindor Quidditch practice cancelled?
2. What is the correct address for Chapter Four's location?
3. What special device do Harry and Mr. Weasley use to enter the building for Harry's disciplinary hearing?
4. What happens when Dumbledore looks Harry in the face for the first time since the hearing?
5. What travel method was used to escort Harry from the Dursleys' home to the Order of the Phoenix?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
2. Why did Dumbledore send Hagrid to attempt negotiations with the giants?
3. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
4. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
5. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
6. How does Hermione explain Cho's see-sawing emotions to Harry, and why is her perception unusual?
7. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
8. Given that he has never met many of the guards that come to rescue him, what does Harry's choice to leave the Dursleys' reveal about his character?
9. What upsets Ron so much about the letter he receives from his older brother?
10. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The romance between Harry and Cho plagues him throughout the novel as he attempts to navigate through her complex emotional state. What would have needed to be different for their romance to work? Would it have made a difference to the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Rowling seems to associate Coming of Age with painful experiences. Do you agree that the characters must develop a sense of mortality in order to mature and come of age? Support your assertion with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between the Magical and Mundane within the setting of the novel. What impact does each have on the main characters and their development? How does this influence the outcome of the novel?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)