|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sirius the happiest Harry has ever seen during the holidays?
2. What person was in disguise watching the children during their first meeting of Dumbledore's Army?
3. Where does Harry have to travel in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Harry fight with Professor Umbridge during the Defense Against the Dark Arts class?
5. What does Umbridge taunt Snape about when she sits in on his Potions class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
2. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
3. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
4. What is the purpose of Umbridge's new decree that prohibits teachers from giving students information beyond their course curriculum?
5. Why does Harry have such a difficult time understanding Cho's feelings and reaction during their first date?
6. What aspect of Umbridge's personality becomes her undoing in the novel?
7. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
8. Why is Harry so disturbed when he views Snape's memory in the Pensieve?
9. What could have prompted Marietta to betray the D.A. and get Harry into trouble?
10. What factors lead into Harry deciding he wants to become an Auror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dumbledore is one of the most mysterious and powerful characters within the setting of the novel. Discuss the archetype represented by Dumbledore, and how this symbolic figure impacts the protagonists and their growth.
Essay Topic 2
Hagrid is one of the most important figures in the lives of Harry, Ron and Hermione despite being absent for a large chunk of the novel. Discuss in detail how his behavior serves as a model for the children and whether that ends up being a positive or negative influence. Choose specific characteristics and actions that have significant impact on the story.
Essay Topic 3
Women in this novel are often seen in a grim or sinister light. Discuss the women of the novel and in what way their interactions with Harry contribute to his character development.
This section contains 1,786 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)