|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do members of the Slytherin House do during the match that fiercely demoralizes Ron?
2. What does Mr. Weasley tell the children about his attack?
3. What do Harry and friends see in the flames while speaking with Sirius that alarms them?
4. Why is the current leader of the giants of great concern to Dumbledore?
5. What mistake does Ron make during the first Quidditch practice that results in it being canceled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
2. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
3. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
4. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
5. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
6. What success did Hagrid have in accomplishing his mission?
7. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
8. What upsets Ron so much about the letter he receives from his older brother?
9. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
10. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adults and children exist in an interesting gray area in this novel, where many lines of authority and trust are crossed. Discuss the morphing relationship between adults and children in the novel. How do these changes and relationships lead to development for the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Ron and Hermione argue passionately over the plight of the House Elves at Hogwarts. Whose position do you agree with, and why? What role does slavery play in this novel? Does it affect anyone other than the House Elves?
Essay Topic 3
Women in this novel are often seen in a grim or sinister light. Discuss the women of the novel and in what way their interactions with Harry contribute to his character development.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)