|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Umbridge taunt Snape about when she sits in on his Potions class?
(a) That he was not a particularly talented student when he attended Hogwarts.
(b) She thinks potions are ineffectual and not "real magic".
(c) His having been passed over for the Defense Against the Darks Arts position several times.
(d) He has a sister imprisoned at Azkaban.
2. Harry is surprised by the number of students that come to the first meeting; how many showed up?
(a) Forty-one students.
(b) Twenty-five students.
(c) Seventeen students.
(d) Thirty-two students.
3. After learning of the attack on Mr. Weasley, why does Dumbledore send former Headmaster paintings to search for him?
(a) Because it doesn't matter if something attacks a painting since they're already dead.
(b) Because the paintings can appear in any frame that bears their name.
(c) Because the paintings are more trustworthy than the Order of the Phoenix.
(d) Because he is too afraid of Voldemort to go look himself.
4. What Ministry employee has been sent to Hogwarts as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?
(a) Dolores Umbridge.
(b) Mr. Weasley.
(c) Percy Weasley.
(d) Cornelius Fudge.
5. What travel method was used to escort Harry from the Dursleys' home to the Order of the Phoenix?
(a) Magic Car.
(b) Floo Powder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Aunt Petunia decide Harry must be allowed to stay?
2. Why does Hermione begin to question whether it's a good idea to meet in their secret club?
3. How long does Harry wait for news after sending his letters?
4. What is so special about the creatures Hagrid shows the students in his first class?
5. Where does the action of Chapter 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
2. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
3. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
4. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
5. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
6. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
7. Why does Harry stay awake all night before going to visit Mr. Weasley at the hospital?
8. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
9. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
10. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)