|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Aunt Petunia decide Harry must be allowed to stay?
(a) An owl from Dumbledore reminding her why Harry's mother died.
(b) A visit from Hagrid.
(c) A Howler which says "Remember my last, Petunia".
(d) A formal request from the Ministry of Magic.
2. Just before leaving for the holidays, who does Harry dream is attacked by a giant snake?
(a) Mrs. Weasley.
(b) Aunt Petunia.
(c) Professor Snape.
(d) Arthur Weasley.
3. Why is the current leader of the giants of great concern to Dumbledore?
(a) Because he is overwhelmingly easy to trick.
(b) Because he passionately hates all wizards.
(c) Because he is not a pure-blooded giant.
(d) Because the leader has been recruited by Voldemort.
4. Why doesn't Harry end up sitting with Ron and Hermione on the train?
(a) They have to go to the prefects' car for instructions.
(b) Luna Lovegood corners him to speak privately about occlumency.
(c) He wants to spend some time alone planning for the coming year.
(d) They have a quarrel while boarding and leave him by himself.
5. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
(a) The Dursleys stole the letters that Hedwig was bringing back to Harry.
(b) Hedwig wasn't able to deliver Harry's letters because of the Ministry of Magic.
(c) They were tired of him whining about his problems and wanted a break.
(d) Dumbledore was worried their messages would be intercepted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult for Harry to summon his Patronus Charm?
2. What two characters witnessed Harry's Patronus Charm?
3. How did the Black family's beliefs differ from those of Sirius?
4. What is the correct address for Chapter Four's location?
5. In Chapter 13, Hermione chastises Fred and George for a new product they have developed and are testing on first-year students. What product are they testing on the first-years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two reasons that Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place is important to Harry.
2. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
3. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
4. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
5. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
6. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
7. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
8. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
9. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
10. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)