|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Harry write letters at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Hermione, Sirius and Dumbledore.
(b) Dumbledore, Hagrid and Hermione.
(c) Ron, Dumbledore and Hagrid.
(d) Ron, Hermione, and Sirius.
2. Who do the children run into while visiting their former professor at the hospital mental ward?
(a) Professor McGonagall.
(b) Cho Chang.
(c) Bellatrix LeStrange.
(d) Neville Longbottom.
3. Why did Percy have a falling out with his parents?
(a) He turned in his brother for illegal dragon smuggling.
(b) He wants to marry a muggle and give up magic.
(c) He doesn't want to be associated with such a poor family.
(d) Due to his promotion within the Ministry of Magic.
4. Why is the Gryffindor Quidditch practice cancelled?
(a) Because dementors have been spotted lurking around Hogwarts.
(b) Because Umbridge has forbidden all sporting activities during the academic week.
(c) Because the team has not been given permission to reform.
(d) Because Ron injures another teammate.
5. After learning of the attack on Mr. Weasley, why does Dumbledore send former Headmaster paintings to search for him?
(a) Because the paintings can appear in any frame that bears their name.
(b) Because he is too afraid of Voldemort to go look himself.
(c) Because it doesn't matter if something attacks a painting since they're already dead.
(d) Because the paintings are more trustworthy than the Order of the Phoenix.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagrid learn about his mother on his trip?
2. In Chapter 13, what secret of Ron's does Harry learn?
3. Why is Harry secretly upset in Chapter 9?
4. What disturbing information do the children learn by eavesdropping on the adults at the hospital?
5. Why does Sirius end up escorting Ron, Harry and Hermione to the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
2. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
3. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
4. What does Harry notice about the carriages that take students from the train to Hogwarts proper, and why is it significant?
5. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
6. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
7. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
8. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
9. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
10. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)