|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does Hagrid give for his extended absence?
(a) He was visiting the mountains to make sure Norbert was well cared for.
(b) He was in the mountains speaking to the giants for Dumbledore.
(c) He was on vacation with his new love, Madame Maxime.
(d) He was gone because he was poisoned by a large spider over the summer and needed time to recover.
2. What post is Professor Umbridge appointed to by the Ministry of Magic?
(a) Assistant Minister of Magic.
(b) Divination Professor.
(c) Headmistress of Hogwarts.
(d) Hogwarts' High Inquisitor.
3. What favor does Hermione ask Harry to do for the Hogwarts students?
(a) Stop talking about Voldemort and scaring the students.
(b) Get along with Umbridge so that Minister Fudge will be less suspicious of Dumbledore.
(c) Stop bragging all the time about his exploits.
(d) Teach the students a different version of Defense Against the Dark Arts.
4. What does Hagrid learn about his mother on his trip?
(a) She tried for years to find him to reconcile their relationship.
(b) She became leader of the giants.
(c) She remarried and had two other children.
(d) She died several years earlier.
5. How many goals does the Gryffindor Quidditch team score in their first match of the season?
Short Answer Questions
1. What travel method was used to escort Harry from the Dursleys' home to the Order of the Phoenix?
2. How did the Black family's beliefs differ from those of Sirius?
3. Where are the children sent to wait for more news about Mr. Weasley's condition after his attack?
4. What do Sirius and Mrs. Weasley argue about in Chapter Five?
5. What does Cho Chang tell Harry at the end of Chapter 18 that makes him secretly happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
2. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
3. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
4. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
5. Given that he has never met many of the guards that come to rescue him, what does Harry's choice to leave the Dursleys' reveal about his character?
6. Why does Harry stay awake all night before going to visit Mr. Weasley at the hospital?
7. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
8. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
9. Name two reasons that Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place is important to Harry.
10. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)