|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Harry and friends see in the flames while speaking with Sirius that alarms them?
(a) A vision of Sirius' home collapsing in on itself.
(b) Sirius attacked from behind before he disappears.
(c) Voldemort in the background of the flames spying on their conversation.
(d) Umbridge's hand reaching out to grab Sirius' head.
2. Why is the Gryffindor Quidditch practice cancelled?
(a) Because Ron injures another teammate.
(b) Because the team has not been given permission to reform.
(c) Because Umbridge has forbidden all sporting activities during the academic week.
(d) Because dementors have been spotted lurking around Hogwarts.
3. Why are the children forced to wait for news, rather than being allowed to rush straight to the hospital to see Mr. Weasley?
(a) Because it's too dangerous for Harry to go out in public.
(b) Mrs. Weasley wants to focus on her husband rather than worry about her family's safety.
(c) So that no one will suspect anything about why they already know about the attack.
(d) So that if he dies at the hospital, they aren't traumatized.
4. Why does Harry fight with Professor Umbridge during the Defense Against the Dark Arts class?
(a) That Umbridge voted against Harry during his hearing.
(b) Because Harry believes Voldemort has returned.
(c) Because Umbridge doesn't think house elfs should have citizen rights.
(d) Harry doesn't like the textbook she has chosen for the class.
5. What was Ms. Figg assigned to do in Little Whinging?
(a) Spy on Harry for Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters.
(b) Make sure the Dursleys treated Harry well.
(c) Watch over Harry and prevent him from doing magic.
(d) Study muggle behavior for the Ministry of Magic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
2. Where does the action of Chapter 1 take place?
3. What does Hagrid learn about his mother on his trip?
4. What does Dumbledore tell Harry when they speak after the hearing?
5. What is so special about the creatures Hagrid shows the students in his first class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Umbridge's personality becomes her undoing in the novel?
2. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
3. Why is Harry so determined to continue pressing forward, even against his friends' advice?
4. Why do Harry and Hermione decide to wait to tell Ron about Hagrid's brother?
5. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
6. What factors lead into Harry deciding he wants to become an Auror?
7. Why is it disturbing to see the lengths Hermione will go to to clear Harry's name?
8. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
9. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
10. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)