|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry discover about the pain he feels in his scar on occasion?
(a) It occurs when he is linked to Voldemort's moods.
(b) It hurts when he thinks about painful memories, particularly of his parents.
(c) Whenever he is under duress, it starts to burn.
(d) It hurts whenever someone tries to cast a dark spell on him.
2. What does the Sorting Hat do in Chapter 11 that is unusual?
(a) Refuses to sort a student because he is a mudblood.
(b) Sings a song about an impending threat to the school.
(c) Makes a political announcement demanding the freedom of elves.
(d) Sorts nearly all the first-years into Gryffindor House so they'll fight Voldemort.
3. What final cautionary advice does Hermione give Hagrid before leaving?
(a) A new type of creature rumored to be lurking in the Forbidden Forest may be dangerous.
(b) To tone down his lessons because Umbridge may not approve of his curriculum.
(c) Umbridge will not like him if she learns he is part-giant.
(d) Be careful at the Hog's Head Tavern because there are spies there.
4. What do members of the Slytherin House do during the match that fiercely demoralizes Ron?
(a) Dress up as Death Eaters.
(b) Cast spells at Ron while the referees are not looking.
(c) Sing a song during the match about how bad Ron is at Quidditch.
(d) Create an illusion that makes it appear as though there are no spectators cheering for Gryffindor.
5. How many owls did Harry receive after returning home from the dementor attack?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what secret of Ron's does Harry learn?
2. Why does Harry fight with Professor Umbridge during the Defense Against the Dark Arts class?
3. The Order of the Phoenix Headquarters are housed in the ancestral home of which character?
4. Why does Ginny chastise Harry when they sit down to eat over the holidays?
5. In Chapter 13, Hermione chastises Fred and George for a new product they have developed and are testing on first-year students. What product are they testing on the first-years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
2. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
3. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
4. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
5. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
6. What is so unusual about the song the Sorting Hat sings at the beginning of Chapter 11? What could that mean for the students of Hogwarts?
7. Why does Harry stay awake all night before going to visit Mr. Weasley at the hospital?
8. Name two reasons that Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place is important to Harry.
9. Why is it ironic that Harry was willing to endanger the Dursleys by going home for the holidays?
10. What does Sirius' family home reveal about his background that shocks Harry?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)