|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Harry and George to attack Draco Malfoy after the first Quidditch match between Slytherin and Gryffindor?
(a) Because they think no one is looking and they won't be caught.
(b) Because he is insulting their families.
(c) Because he cheated during the match.
(d) Because he hit an illegal Bludger at Harry after the match.
2. What does the Sorting Hat do in Chapter 11 that is unusual?
(a) Makes a political announcement demanding the freedom of elves.
(b) Refuses to sort a student because he is a mudblood.
(c) Sorts nearly all the first-years into Gryffindor House so they'll fight Voldemort.
(d) Sings a song about an impending threat to the school.
3. What one piece of good news do the main characters learn after being fiercely disciplined for attacking Malfoy?
(a) Hagrid has returned.
(b) Sirius has been pardoned for his crimes.
(c) The Weasleys have won the lottery.
(d) Umbridge has been fired.
4. Why is it difficult for Harry to summon his Patronus Charm?
(a) Because he doesn't study enough.
(b) Because he is so sad.
(c) Because he doesn't want to save his cousin.
(d) Because his wand is broken.
5. How many goals does the Gryffindor Quidditch team score in their first match of the season?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Hermione chastises Fred and George for a new product they have developed and are testing on first-year students. What product are they testing on the first-years?
2. What space does Harry discover that is perfect for D.A. meetings?
3. What mistake does Ron make during the first Quidditch practice that results in it being canceled?
4. How many owls did Harry receive after returning home from the dementor attack?
5. What post is Professor Umbridge appointed to by the Ministry of Magic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
2. How does Hermione explain Cho's see-sawing emotions to Harry, and why is her perception unusual?
3. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
4. Why is Harry emotionally torn when he discovers in Hagrid's class that others can see the Thestrals?
5. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
6. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
7. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
8. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
9. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
10. What is so unusual about the song the Sorting Hat sings at the beginning of Chapter 11? What could that mean for the students of Hogwarts?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)