|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry do to earn another week of detention with Professor Umbridge?
(a) Argues that Minister Fudge is under Voldemort's control.
(b) Protests a demerit of five points from Gryffindor House.
(c) Fails to complete any of his assignments because his hand hurts too much.
(d) Gets into a fist fight with Draco Malfoy over Sirius' whereabouts.
2. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
(a) Hedwig wasn't able to deliver Harry's letters because of the Ministry of Magic.
(b) Dumbledore was worried their messages would be intercepted.
(c) The Dursleys stole the letters that Hedwig was bringing back to Harry.
(d) They were tired of him whining about his problems and wanted a break.
3. Why did Percy have a falling out with his parents?
(a) He doesn't want to be associated with such a poor family.
(b) He wants to marry a muggle and give up magic.
(c) Due to his promotion within the Ministry of Magic.
(d) He turned in his brother for illegal dragon smuggling.
4. What favor does Hermione ask Harry to do for the Hogwarts students?
(a) Stop bragging all the time about his exploits.
(b) Stop talking about Voldemort and scaring the students.
(c) Get along with Umbridge so that Minister Fudge will be less suspicious of Dumbledore.
(d) Teach the students a different version of Defense Against the Dark Arts.
5. What do the members of the Order realize while exchanging gifts?
(a) That Mrs. Weasley has knit socks instead of sweaters.
(b) That Hermione doesn't celebrate Christmas and is offended by the holiday.
(c) That Kreacher has been absent for some time.
(d) That Harry has bought them each overpriced gifts to alleviate his sense of guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Harry secretly upset in Chapter 9?
2. Where does Harry have to travel in Chapter 7?
3. What do Sirius and Mrs. Weasley argue about in Chapter Five?
4. What makes Aunt Petunia decide Harry must be allowed to stay?
5. How many goals does the Gryffindor Quidditch team score in their first match of the season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
2. Why is it significant that Professor Umbridge takes over during the feast?
3. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
4. Why do you think the room with the orbs is so hard to get to?
5. Why is Kreacher so happy to report that Sirius may never return from the Department of Mysteries?
6. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
7. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
8. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
9. What is the purpose of Umbridge's new decree that prohibits teachers from giving students information beyond their course curriculum?
10. In Chapter 1, why does Harry have such a difficult time summoning his Patronus Charm?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)