|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hagrid learn about his mother on his trip?
(a) She died several years earlier.
(b) She tried for years to find him to reconcile their relationship.
(c) She remarried and had two other children.
(d) She became leader of the giants.
2. Why is the Gryffindor Quidditch practice cancelled?
(a) Because dementors have been spotted lurking around Hogwarts.
(b) Because the team has not been given permission to reform.
(c) Because Umbridge has forbidden all sporting activities during the academic week.
(d) Because Ron injures another teammate.
3. Why does Hagrid choose to ignore Hermione's advice about changing his curriculum?
(a) Because Hermione always worries about trivial things.
(b) Because he's not smart enough to write new lesson plans.
(c) Because he is certain his lessons are more interesting than other teachers' might be.
(d) Because Dumbledore told him not to concern himself with Umbridge.
4. Why does Harry get into a fight with Seamus Finnigan?
(a) Seamus' mother believes the nasty things that have been written about Harry and Dumbledore.
(b) Seamus calls Harry a murderer and a thief.
(c) Seamus decides to go out for Gryffindor seeker to try to upstage Harry.
(d) Harry wants a room to himself because of his nightmares.
5. Harry is surprised by the number of students that come to the first meeting; how many showed up?
(a) Twenty-five students.
(b) Seventeen students.
(c) Forty-one students.
(d) Thirty-two students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What travel method was used to escort Harry from the Dursleys' home to the Order of the Phoenix?
2. What do members of the Slytherin House do during the match that fiercely demoralizes Ron?
3. What happens when Dumbledore looks Harry in the face for the first time since the hearing?
4. Why is Dobby wearing so many clothes when he sees Harry in Chapter 18?
5. What does Harry do to earn another week of detention with Professor Umbridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action, on the part of the Ministry of Magic, shows how serious they are about undermining Dumbledore's influence?
2. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
3. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
4. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
5. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
6. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
7. Explore the question raised by Dobby's explanation of the house elves' behavior: is a person actually free if they choose to remain a slave?
8. Why do you think it is so difficult for Harry to accept the position teaching students Defense Against the Dark Arts?
9. Why does Harry suspect Minister Fudge may be under a dark charm?
10. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)