|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sirius end up escorting Ron, Harry and Hermione to the train station?
(a) The assigned guard fails to report for duty.
(b) He wants an opportunity to rebel against Mrs. Weasley and all her rules.
(c) Threats against Harry's life have been received at Hogwarts.
(d) He wants an opportunity to stretch his legs after being cooped up inside.
2. Why does Harry fight with Professor Umbridge during the Defense Against the Dark Arts class?
(a) That Umbridge voted against Harry during his hearing.
(b) Because Umbridge doesn't think house elfs should have citizen rights.
(c) Because Harry believes Voldemort has returned.
(d) Harry doesn't like the textbook she has chosen for the class.
3. What disturbing information do the children learn by eavesdropping on the adults at the hospital?
(a) That Sirius has been in league with the Death Eaters.
(b) That Harry may be in danger of being possessed by Voldemort.
(c) That Voldemort is planning to stage an attack on Hogwarts.
(d) That Umbridge is actually a member of the Order of the Phoenix.
4. What mistake does Ron make during the first Quidditch practice that results in it being canceled?
(a) Ron accidentally scores for the wrong side.
(b) Ron flies into a classroom window and disrupts a lecture.
(c) Ron falls off his broom and breaks his arm.
(d) Ron hits his teammate in the face with a Quaffle, causing her to have a nosebleed.
5. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
(a) They were tired of him whining about his problems and wanted a break.
(b) Dumbledore was worried their messages would be intercepted.
(c) The Dursleys stole the letters that Hedwig was bringing back to Harry.
(d) Hedwig wasn't able to deliver Harry's letters because of the Ministry of Magic.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what secret of Ron's does Harry learn?
2. Why is Harry secretly upset in Chapter 9?
3. How many goals does the Gryffindor Quidditch team score in their first match of the season?
4. What is the correct address for Chapter Four's location?
5. During the holiday break, what does Harry want to do to ensure the safety of his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the different approaches Ron and Hermione want to take in regards to attempting to free house elves.
2. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
3. Given that he has never met many of the guards that come to rescue him, what does Harry's choice to leave the Dursleys' reveal about his character?
4. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
5. What is so unusual about the song the Sorting Hat sings at the beginning of Chapter 11? What could that mean for the students of Hogwarts?
6. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
7. What purpose does Educational Decree Number Twenty-four serve, aside from obviously disbanding groups?
8. Briefly describe, in order, the four owls regarding use of underage magic that Harry receives in Chapter 2.
9. What makes it particularly disturbing that the students' mail in and out of Hogwarts is potentially being monitored?
10. How does the author use the long, uneventful journey from the Order to the Ministry to illustrate Harry's situation?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)