|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Harry and friends advise Sirius against coming to visit them disguised as a black dog?
(a) Because they believe Malfoy can see through the disguise.
(b) Because Harry is embarrassed that Malfoy is a prefect and he is not.
(c) Because Professor Umbridge has spectacles that can see through disguises.
(d) Harry wants his godfather to stop constantly looking over his shoulder.
2. In Hagrid's first lesson, what kind of creature does he show the children in the Forbidden Forest?
3. What do members of the Slytherin House do during the match that fiercely demoralizes Ron?
(a) Create an illusion that makes it appear as though there are no spectators cheering for Gryffindor.
(b) Sing a song during the match about how bad Ron is at Quidditch.
(c) Cast spells at Ron while the referees are not looking.
(d) Dress up as Death Eaters.
4. What character awakens Harry from his dream about the long corridor?
5. What does Dumbledore tell Harry when they speak after the hearing?
(a) The dark times ahead will require vigilance against false friends.
(b) They don't speak. Dumbledore leaves without even looking at Harry.
(c) That he needs to guard carefully against trickery from the Ministry.
(d) That he will need Harry's assistance this year to protect the students at Hogwarts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special device do Harry and Mr. Weasley use to enter the building for Harry's disciplinary hearing?
2. Why do George and Fred keep taking things they find in the Black House?
3. Where is the first informational meeting of the Defense Against the Dark Arts club held?
4. Why are the children forced to wait for news, rather than being allowed to rush straight to the hospital to see Mr. Weasley?
5. What was Ms. Figg assigned to do in Little Whinging?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Weasley so determined to keep Harry from learning more information about Voldemort and current events in the magical community?
2. What action, on the part of the Ministry of Magic, shows how serious they are about undermining Dumbledore's influence?
3. What does it show about the childrens' characters that they decide to visit Gilderoy Lockhart while at the hospital?
4. What part of being treated like an adult is difficult for the Weasley children when they are not allowed to rush to their father's bedside?
5. Why is Hermione's method for keeping track of the D.A. schedule ironic?
6. What does Harry notice about the carriages that take students from the train to Hogwarts proper, and why is it significant?
7. What makes the hearing in Chapter 8 so unusual?
8. Why is Umbridge's punishment of Fred, George and Harry particularly cruel to Harry?
9. What internal debate in Chapter 18 illustrates Hermione's growing wisdom and maturity?
10. Why does Harry stay awake all night before going to visit Mr. Weasley at the hospital?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)