|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cuts short the children's first visit with Hagrid after his return to Hogwarts?
(a) Hagrid succumbs to his injuries.
(b) Dumbledore's arrival.
(c) Hagrid is exhausted and needs to sleep.
(d) Umbridge's arrival.
2. What does Umbridge taunt Snape about when she sits in on his Potions class?
(a) His having been passed over for the Defense Against the Darks Arts position several times.
(b) He has a sister imprisoned at Azkaban.
(c) That he was not a particularly talented student when he attended Hogwarts.
(d) She thinks potions are ineffectual and not "real magic".
3. What macabre punishment does Umbridge assign to Harry as part of his detention?
(a) To write "I am a foul liar" on every blackboard at Hogwarts.
(b) To write "I must not tell lies" with an enchanted pen that carves the words into his flesh.
(c) To clean the floors of Umbridge's classroom with a cleaner that causes his skin to break out in boils.
(d) To torment house elves by taunting them with articles of clothing that they cannot have.
4. How many owls did Harry receive after returning home from the dementor attack?
5. Who is appointed the new Gryffindor Quidditch seeker before Christmas break?
(a) Ginny Weasley.
(b) Fred Weasley.
(c) Cho Chang.
(d) Draco Malfoy.
6. Why does Hermione begin to question whether it's a good idea to meet in their secret club?
(a) Because she dislikes breaking rules.
(b) Because she doesn't want to be repsonsible for getting the others into trouble.
(c) Because Sirius thinks it's a good idea.
(d) Because Harry has been behaving unreliably.
7. Why did Harry's friends neglect to respond to his letters?
(a) The Dursleys stole the letters that Hedwig was bringing back to Harry.
(b) Dumbledore was worried their messages would be intercepted.
(c) They were tired of him whining about his problems and wanted a break.
(d) Hedwig wasn't able to deliver Harry's letters because of the Ministry of Magic.
8. What do Harry and friends see in the flames while speaking with Sirius that alarms them?
(a) Sirius attacked from behind before he disappears.
(b) Voldemort in the background of the flames spying on their conversation.
(c) A vision of Sirius' home collapsing in on itself.
(d) Umbridge's hand reaching out to grab Sirius' head.
9. Why does Harry arrive late to his hearing?
(a) The time and location are changed without notice.
(b) He gets up late in the morning.
(c) They have to run from dementors.
(d) The shrinking door will not allow them to enter.
10. What causes Harry and George to attack Draco Malfoy after the first Quidditch match between Slytherin and Gryffindor?
(a) Because he hit an illegal Bludger at Harry after the match.
(b) Because he cheated during the match.
(c) Because they think no one is looking and they won't be caught.
(d) Because he is insulting their families.
11. Why does Harry fight with Professor Umbridge during the Defense Against the Dark Arts class?
(a) Because Harry believes Voldemort has returned.
(b) Harry doesn't like the textbook she has chosen for the class.
(c) That Umbridge voted against Harry during his hearing.
(d) Because Umbridge doesn't think house elfs should have citizen rights.
12. At the end of Chapter Six, what dampens Harry's mood?
(a) The realization that he has a hearing at the Ministry of Magic the next day.
(b) Hearing that Quidditch was cancelled for the coming school year.
(c) Memories of how his parents were killed.
(d) A message from Hagrid about the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
13. What explanation does Hagrid give for his extended absence?
(a) He was in the mountains speaking to the giants for Dumbledore.
(b) He was visiting the mountains to make sure Norbert was well cared for.
(c) He was on vacation with his new love, Madame Maxime.
(d) He was gone because he was poisoned by a large spider over the summer and needed time to recover.
14. After learning of the attack on Mr. Weasley, why does Dumbledore send former Headmaster paintings to search for him?
(a) Because the paintings can appear in any frame that bears their name.
(b) Because he is too afraid of Voldemort to go look himself.
(c) Because the paintings are more trustworthy than the Order of the Phoenix.
(d) Because it doesn't matter if something attacks a painting since they're already dead.
15. What is the correct address for Chapter Four's location?
(a) Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place.
(b) Number Twelve, Knockturn Alley.
(c) Number Eleven, Wizarding Row.
(d) Number Thirteen, Diagon Alley.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Black family's beliefs differ from those of Sirius?
2. What is so special about the creatures Hagrid shows the students in his first class?
3. What name do the children choose for the new club teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts?
4. What happens during Potions class that gives Snape an opportunity to humiliate Harry?
5. In Chapter 13, Hermione chastises Fred and George for a new product they have developed and are testing on first-year students. What product are they testing on the first-years?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)