|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates regards flattery is the main point used on what area?
2. What does Socrates claim is the effect on society by categorizing bad and ugly?
3. What does the discussion of rhetoric between Gorgias and Socrates turn into?
4. What is Socrates' opinion of what causes inconsistency in speech?
5. Why does Socrates regard rhetoric as a dangerous tool?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gorgias see rhetoric as a means for great power?
2. Why does Socrates believe only those without knowledge can be persuaded by rhetoric?
3. How does Polus embody the negative sides of freedom as Socrates has discussed?
4. How have we seen rhetoric successfully executed in the conversation in Chapter 1?
5. What does Socrates feel would ensure happiness in society? Why?
6. When an unjust act is committed, Socrates asks whether the wrongdoer or the sufferer is more wretched. Why?
7. Why can the art of rhetoric not impart knowledge, according to Gorgias?
8. Why does Socrates believe that it is important for a wrongdoer's soul be brought to justice?
9. How does Gorgias see rhetoric aiding to the common good of humans?
10. Why does Socrates compare medicine and gymnastics to legislation and justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Socrates' ideal of governmental justice and the reality of its usefulness if implemented.
Essay Topic 2
How is the ideology presented in "Gorgias" something that we see in our society today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of good and bad as discussed by the philosophers in Gorgias.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)