|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates ask to be corrected and criticized?
2. Socrates believes good can be delimited by what?
3. When does Socrates regard pain as useful?
4. How does Socrates regard just actions?
5. What does Socrates specify produces gratification and pleasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Polus' claim that even unjust people like Archelaus are happy correct or incorrect? Why?
2. How does Polus embody the negative sides of freedom as Socrates has discussed?
3. In Socrates' opinion, why do rhetoricians and Sophists find it difficult to define themselves?
4. How is Socrates able to gain insight into rhetoric?
5. Why does Socrates question Gorgias about rhetoric?
6. When an unjust act is committed, Socrates asks whether the wrongdoer or the sufferer is more wretched. Why?
7. How does Gorgias see rhetoric as a bridge between art and science?
8. Why does Socrates believe only those without knowledge can be persuaded by rhetoric?
9. How does Gorgias see rhetoric as a means for great power?
10. Why does Socrates compare medicine and gymnastics to legislation and justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of humanity based on their abilities to persuade and be persuaded as addressed by Gorgias.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the dynamic of the men in "Gorgias" draws information.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss philosophy in "Gorgias," including how it is used, what it aids, and how it defines the conversation.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)