|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates describes a speaker with the common good in mind as not speaking _____.
2. What kinds of pleasure and pain does Socrates believe should be experienced?
3. What does Socrates believe all people experience the same?
4. Socrates explains that good is not necessarily what?
5. What does Socrates say friendship, self-control, sharing, and justice maintain order between?
(a) Men and women.
(b) Men, heaven, and earth.
(c) Political parties.
(d) Men and animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only action a soul that lacks control should be allowed, in Socrates' design?
2. Why does Callicles regard philosophy as dangerous?
3. In Callciles' opinion, why is philosophy destructive?
4. What does Socrates believe excellence leads to?
5. Who is inferior in Callicles' opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Socrates, what does a soul in harmony do?
2. Is "justice" one sided? Can there be multiple types of justice? Why or why not?
3. Why does Socrates classify flattery in public speaking as bad?
4. How does natural justice differ from legislation?
5. According to Socrates, if one desires nothing, are they happy? Why or why not?
6. According to Socrates, how can one attain harmony and why is it important?
7. Why does Socrates regard medicine as a good action?
8. How should unjust or out of control souls be treated, in Socrates' opinion?
9. According to Callicles, where should one's rights originate from?
10. Why does Socrates give credit to Callicles' claims?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)