|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callicles regards truth as?
(b) A luxury.
(c) A diversion.
2. Socrates explains that to escape injustice, one must ______ injustice.
3. Socrates classifies "flattery" as something that does not engage what?
(a) The body or soul.
(d) The public.
4. What kind of knowledge does Socrates think helps men determine good and bad pleasures?
5. How does Socrates claim excellence cannot be acquired?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Callicles regard philosophy as dangerous?
2. What is Socrates' opinion of the purpose of cookery?
3. What does Socrates say about the only people who can fulfill their desires?
4. Socrates describes a speaker with the common good in mind as not speaking _____.
5. What does Socrates claims the purpose of prose and poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How should unjust or out of control souls be treated, in Socrates' opinion?
2. What does Callicles believe is the true function of laws and conventions?
3. In Socrates' opinion, how is flattery bad?
4. What is Socrates' belief about how one acquires excellence?
5. According to Socrates, what is the result of a young person being raised under an unjust government?
6. How do Socrates and Callicles' opinions of freedom clash?
7. Is "justice" one sided? Can there be multiple types of justice? Why or why not?
8. Callicles argues that one should not neglect the natural order. What does the natural order offer that convention cannot?
9. What is the relevance of everyone experiencing pleasure and pain differently?
10. Why does Socrates regard medicine as a good action?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)