|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the key way in which skills are mastered, in Gorgias' opinion?
(b) Gaining experience.
(d) Extreme practice.
2. Who does Socrates see professions influencing?
(b) Those that practice them.
(d) Those that depend on them.
3. What kind of people does Socrates believe rhetoric can influence?
(a) People who care.
(b) People with children.
(c) People who are desperate.
(d) People with no knowledge.
4. What does Socrates say a rhetorician must have to persuade a physician?
(c) Good looks.
5. What challenge is Gorgias being faced with?
(a) Keeping business and personal matters separate.
(b) Responding to anything that is asked.
(c) Convincing the men to follow a religion.
(d) Having to convince a great philosopher.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Socrates' philosophy, in an unjust act, who feels greater evil?
2. What subjects does Socrates specify rhetoricians have the ability to speak about?
3. Why does Socrates have a low regard for Sophists?
4. In Socrates' opinion, who are the happiest people?
5. What does Socrates define tyranny as the power to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Polus embody the negative sides of freedom as Socrates has discussed?
2. In terms of ethics, why does Socrates consider rhetoric a dangerous tool?
3. How does Gorgias see rhetoric aiding to the common good of humans?
4. How is it that one can suffer justly or unjustly? What makes the difference in Socrates' opinion?
5. How does Gorgias see rhetoric as a means for great power?
6. How is Socrates able to gain insight into rhetoric?
7. Why does Socrates compare medicine and gymnastics to legislation and justice?
8. Why does Socrates see all advantages as beneficial? Why does he see some wrong actions as just?
9. Why does Socrates favor Gorgias' answers more than Polus'?
10. What makes Socrates see punishment (a negative action) as a positive one?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)