|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III (470-479).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' opinion, why are just actions better than unjust?
(a) Because the gods will be pleased.
(b) Because justice earns money.
(c) Because they make others feel good about themselves.
(d) Because they lead to happiness.
2. What are Socrates' criteria in analyzing sciences?
(a) Based on their fidelity to tradition.
(b) Based on their creative angle.
(c) Based on their benefit to humans.
(d) Based on their organized presentation.
3. What does the discussion of rhetoric between Gorgias and Socrates turn into?
(a) Nostalgic exchange.
(c) Comedic exchange.
(d) Sentimental rant.
4. What does Gorgias intend to use rhetoric for?
(a) To educate.
(b) To manipulate a crowd.
(c) To frighten criminals.
(d) To speak and comprehend.
5. Why does Socrates have a low regard for Sophists?
(a) They have little influence.
(b) They actively harm.
(c) They are too afraid of knowledge.
(d) They are not concerned with justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates regard as the most damaging to one's soul?
2. How does Gorgias say one should use power?
3. Chapter I states there can be false and true what?
4. What does Gorgias claim is the basis for all arts and sciences?
5. Who does Socrates believe power is beneficial to?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)