|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III (470-479).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' opinion, why is music useless?
(a) Because it only involves flattery and gratification.
(b) Because it is boring.
(c) Because it brings excessive wealth.
(d) Because it is nonsensical.
2. How does rhetoric benefit politicians in Gorgias' musings on politics?
(a) It makes them seem more appealing because of their easygoing attitude.
(b) In their persuasive abilities, they can gain support.
(c) It entertains youth and gains their support.
(d) It makes them seem compassionate.
3. What subjects does Socrates specify rhetoricians have the ability to speak about?
(c) All subjects.
4. Why does Socrates regard rhetoric as a dangerous tool?
(a) Because rhetoric is a guise for something sinister.
(b) Because so few hold the ability.
(c) Because rhetoricians are too well respected.
(d) Because it only gives the appearance of being knowledgeable.
5. Gorgias believes that without mastering rhetoric, what is the occurrence of rhetoric left to?
Short Answer Questions
1. The discussion of rhetoric raises matters of moral, philosophical, and what type of concern?
2. Chapter I states there cannot be false and true what?
3. What does Socrates believe is worse than being poor or sick?
4. What does Socrates believe people who escape justice unaware of?
5. Chapter I states there can be false and true what?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)