|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III (470-479).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates claim is the effect on society by categorizing bad and ugly?
(a) It becomes confused.
(b) It loses its edge.
(c) It becomes afraid.
(d) It is improved.
2. What does Polus believe is the emotional state of unjust people?
(a) They are still happy.
(b) They are tormented inside.
(c) They have no feelings.
(d) They are in control of their emotions.
3. Who does Socrates see professions influencing?
(a) Those that practice them.
(c) Those that depend on them.
4. What subjects does Socrates specify rhetoricians have the ability to speak about?
(b) All subjects.
5. When does Socrates regard pain as useful?
(a) In punishment.
(c) When it instills fear.
(d) When it is used to protect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates see justice in opposition to?
2. What does Socrates believe is the greatest evil?
3. Socrates regards rhetoric as a skill that elicits what?
4. What does Socrates specify makes advantageous actions not beneficial?
5. Why does Socrates regard Polus' responses as useless?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)