|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II (458-469).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Socrates' opinion of what causes inconsistency in speech?
(a) Heckling by the audience.
(b) Poor education as a child.
(c) A lack of understanding on the subject.
(d) Emotions interfering with judgment.
2. According to Socrates, what do politics preside over?
3. Socrates wants to learn the _____ of rhetoric.
4. What does rhetoric engage, in Gorgias' opinion?
(a) All political parties.
(b) All social classes.
(c) All cultures.
(d) All sciences.
5. Why does Socrates regard rhetoric as a dangerous tool?
(a) Because it only gives the appearance of being knowledgeable.
(b) Because so few hold the ability.
(c) Because rhetoric is a guise for something sinister.
(d) Because rhetoricians are too well respected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What description of rhetoric is Gorgias supposed to provide?
2. What does Gorgias describe gaining knowledge as involving?
3. What challenge is Gorgias being faced with?
4. Why does Socrates regard Polus' responses as useless?
5. Gorgias describes good rhetoric as delivering a response in what way?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)