|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II (458-469).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a result does Socrates believe any action taken must intend to elicit?
(a) An insignificant result.
(b) A good result.
(c) A self-indulgent result.
(d) A short-term benefit.
2. Gorgias believes the ability to do what has the most possibility for the greatest good?
3. Socrates regards rhetoric as a skill that elicits what?
4. What does rhetoric engage, in Gorgias' opinion?
(a) All sciences.
(b) All cultures.
(c) All political parties.
(d) All social classes.
5. Why does Socrates think areas of art need to be properly defined?
(a) So they cannot be manipulated.
(b) So people understand what they are getting into.
(c) So they can be properly monitored.
(d) So they do not become confused with others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gorgias distinguish as the difference between acquiring knowledge and acquiring a belief?
2. Gorgias describes good rhetoric as delivering a response in what way?
3. Why does Socrates regard Gorgias' answers as useful?
4. Who does Socrates see professions influencing?
5. What does the discussion of rhetoric between Gorgias and Socrates turn into?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)