|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter I (447-457).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gorgias say one should use power?
(a) Power should benefit the beholder.
(b) Power should be evenly distributed.
(c) Power should be used to conquer others.
(d) Power should be used ethically.
2. Gorgias describes good rhetoric as delivering a response in what way?
3. Gorgias describes bad rhetoric as delivering a response in what way?
4. What does Gorgias believe rhetoric can be used for?
(a) Getting out of trouble.
(b) Gaining sympathy.
(c) Persuading authorities.
(d) Curing disease.
5. What is the benefit of rhetoric in Gorgias' example of medicine?
(a) It makes relaying information more proficient.
(b) It promotes prescription drugs.
(c) It makes doctor's appointments fun.
(d) Doctors can persuade their patients to take medicines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates regard Polus' responses as useless?
2. What does Gorgias specify sciences also involve?
3. Socrates believes the classification of arts and sciences is what?
4. What does Gorgias distinguish as the difference between acquiring knowledge and acquiring a belief?
5. What challenge is Gorgias being faced with?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)