|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV (480-491).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates believe people who escape justice unaware of?
(a) The pattern of bad behavior that will arise.
(b) The possible benefit for their soul.
(c) The pain they have inflicted on others.
(d) The reality of what will happen to them when they die.
2. According to Socrates, who are the second happiest people?
(a) Those who are healthy.
(b) Those who only briefly suffer.
(c) Those who deliver others from evil.
(d) Those who get married.
3. Where do the men in "Gorgias" meet to discuss rhetoric?
(a) Gorgias' house.
(b) Socrates' office.
(c) A theater.
(d) Callicles' house.
4. What does Socrates define tyranny as the power to do?
(d) Anything one pleases.
5. What challenge is Gorgias being faced with?
(a) Keeping business and personal matters separate.
(b) Convincing the men to follow a religion.
(c) Having to convince a great philosopher.
(d) Responding to anything that is asked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates have a low regard for Sophists?
2. According to Callicles, where does happiness come from?
3. What does Socrates believe makes punishment beneficial?
4. Socrates regards flattery is the main point used on what area?
5. Who does Callicles believe can destroy legislation?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)