|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
2. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
3. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
4. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
5. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There is also some debate that the Gnostic gospels were not necessarily written by the actual apostles to whom they are ascribed, but rather that they are written in the spirit of these apostles.
Part 1: Why do you think that some felt it necessary to point out the possible difference in the authors?
Part 2: Do you think it matters who wrote the gospels which were found? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic viewpoint might change if it were proven that none of the gospels were written by the actual apostles? Why?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)