|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
2. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
3. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
4. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
5. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is also some debate that the Gnostic gospels were not necessarily written by the actual apostles to whom they are ascribed, but rather that they are written in the spirit of these apostles.
Part 1: Why do you think that some felt it necessary to point out the possible difference in the authors?
Part 2: Do you think it matters who wrote the gospels which were found? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic viewpoint might change if it were proven that none of the gospels were written by the actual apostles? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The brothers decided to go after the killer of their father, hacking him to bits and eating his heart.
Part 1: Why do you think the brothers thought this sort of killing was necessary?
Part 2: Do you think it's ever a good idea to kill another person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the brothers' life will change as a result of their murderous actions?
Essay Topic 3
At one point in time, the Romans considered the Christians to be heretics as they were not pagan in nature as the rulers were.
Part 1: Why do you think the the Romans felt they needed to punish the Christians?
Part 2: Why do you think that some Christians feel it's okay to punish those who consider themselves to be pagan?
Part 3: How do you think that religions should treat each other?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)