|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
2. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
3. How did the soldier start the riot which caused so many deaths in the Temple's courtyard?
4. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
5. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
Essay Topic 2
According to Pagels, most of the Western religions realize that God is beyond the idea of gender.
Part 1: Do you think this it's important to determine a gender for God? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that many people believe that God is without gender?
Part 3: How do you think religion or spirituality changes when God is given a gender identity? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)