|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
2. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
3. How did the soldier start the riot which caused so many deaths in the Temple's courtyard?
4. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
5. Tertullian turned away from the ____________ movement, joining a Montanist movement that featured a new prophecy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)