|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
2. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
3. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
4. The Valentinians also speak of the birth of _________ from her confusion, water from her terror, and air from her grief.
5. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The brothers decided to go after the killer of their father, hacking him to bits and eating his heart.
Part 1: Why do you think the brothers thought this sort of killing was necessary?
Part 2: Do you think it's ever a good idea to kill another person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the brothers' life will change as a result of their murderous actions?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, it seems unclear as to what a true Christian might look like or believe.
Part 1: Do you think there should be only one definition of what a Christian is? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think that religion would change if there was only one definition of a Christian?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important for some to have a definition of what a Christian is?
Essay Topic 3
The Gnostic gospels seem to state that it's not that becoming a martyr will lead to Heaven each time, but that the awareness of the teachings of Christ is the reward.
Part 1: Do you think that Heaven should be seen as the ultimate reward in the Christian life? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you believe that the awareness of Christ is something that is more important than what happens when you die? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Christianity might change if there was no idea of Heaven or Hell?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)