|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
2. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
3. Justin also wrote about the bravery and dignity of ____________ when they were put under terrible torture conditions.
4. In the works of the philosopher, Nietzsche, he speaks of Jesus as being the only true _____________.
5. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
According to Pagels, most of the Western religions realize that God is beyond the idea of gender.
Part 1: Do you think this it's important to determine a gender for God? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that many people believe that God is without gender?
Part 3: How do you think religion or spirituality changes when God is given a gender identity? Why?
Essay Topic 3
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)