Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
2. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
3. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
4. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
5. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostic gospels seem to state that it's not that becoming a martyr will lead to Heaven each time, but that the awareness of the teachings of Christ is the reward.
Part 1: Do you think that Heaven should be seen as the ultimate reward in the Christian life? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you believe that the awareness of Christ is something that is more important than what happens when you die? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Christianity might change if there was no idea of Heaven or Hell?
Essay Topic 2
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are some who believe that man creates the world of God, and that the path of God lies within man's own mind.
Part 1: Do you believe that faith is externally based or internally based? Why?
Part 2: How do you think that religions might change if faith was not seen as something that happened outside of one's self?
Part 3: Do you think that faith is something you have or something that you need to earn? Why?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)