Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
2. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
3. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
4. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
5. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
There is also some debate that the Gnostic gospels were not necessarily written by the actual apostles to whom they are ascribed, but rather that they are written in the spirit of these apostles.
Part 1: Why do you think that some felt it necessary to point out the possible difference in the authors?
Part 2: Do you think it matters who wrote the gospels which were found? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic viewpoint might change if it were proven that none of the gospels were written by the actual apostles? Why?
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
Pagels also points out that at times, beliefs that weren't logical became preeminent.
Part 1: Do you think it's dangerous for illogical beliefs to be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 2: Does it matter whether a belief is logical? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think society would change of all accepted beliefs were logical? Why?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)