|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
2. Pagels wonders if it was the __________ function of the Church which allowed it to be kept alive for so many years.
3. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
4. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
5. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At some point, someone writes that Jesus was actually laughing when he was put to death on the the cross.
Part 1: How do you feel about the image of Jesus laughing as he is put to death?
Part 2: Why do you think the accounts of the crucifixion vary so widely?
Part 3: Do you think the crucifixion actually occurred? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,703 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)