|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ____________ between the Gnostic and the orthodox is echoed in the centuries to come, according to historical findings.
2. Pagels points out that the discussion of Gnosticism points out _____________ of great value to all believers.
3. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
4. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
5. Justin also wrote about the bravery and dignity of ____________ when they were put under terrible torture conditions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in time, the Romans considered the Christians to be heretics as they were not pagan in nature as the rulers were.
Part 1: Why do you think the the Romans felt they needed to punish the Christians?
Part 2: Why do you think that some Christians feel it's okay to punish those who consider themselves to be pagan?
Part 3: How do you think that religions should treat each other?
Essay Topic 2
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)