|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
2. Pagels wonders if it was the __________ function of the Church which allowed it to be kept alive for so many years.
3. Justin speaks of a woman who was converted to Christianity by her teacher, ______________, and then she was a better person.
4. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
5. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The brothers decided to go after the killer of their father, hacking him to bits and eating his heart.
Part 1: Why do you think the brothers thought this sort of killing was necessary?
Part 2: Do you think it's ever a good idea to kill another person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the brothers' life will change as a result of their murderous actions?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)