|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
2. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
3. In what gospel does Jesus respond to Thomas' passionate request to learn how to get to the next level?
4. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
5. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pagels also points out that at times, beliefs that weren't logical became preeminent.
Part 1: Do you think it's dangerous for illogical beliefs to be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 2: Does it matter whether a belief is logical? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think society would change of all accepted beliefs were logical? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
According to Pagels, most of the Western religions realize that God is beyond the idea of gender.
Part 1: Do you think this it's important to determine a gender for God? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that many people believe that God is without gender?
Part 3: How do you think religion or spirituality changes when God is given a gender identity? Why?
This section contains 1,716 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)