|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
2. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
3. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
4. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
5. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There are some who believe that man creates the world of God, and that the path of God lies within man's own mind.
Part 1: Do you believe that faith is externally based or internally based? Why?
Part 2: How do you think that religions might change if faith was not seen as something that happened outside of one's self?
Part 3: Do you think that faith is something you have or something that you need to earn? Why?
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)