|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
2. After the death of Jesus, a ______________ soldier was the one who started the riot in the Temple, causing many deaths in the process.
3. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
4. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
5. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Looking at the Bible in a different way is not always something that people are willing to do.
Part 1: Why do you think people are resistant to seeing the Bible in a new way?
Part 2: Do you think that it's a good idea or a bad idea to look at new perspectives in the Bible? Why?
Part 3: How do you think religion might change if the gnostic gospels were considered to be true? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Pagels also points out that at times, beliefs that weren't logical became preeminent.
Part 1: Do you think it's dangerous for illogical beliefs to be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 2: Does it matter whether a belief is logical? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think society would change of all accepted beliefs were logical? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)