Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
2. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
3. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
4. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
5. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)