|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
2. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
3. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
4. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
5. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostic gospels seem to state that it's not that becoming a martyr will lead to Heaven each time, but that the awareness of the teachings of Christ is the reward.
Part 1: Do you think that Heaven should be seen as the ultimate reward in the Christian life? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you believe that the awareness of Christ is something that is more important than what happens when you die? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Christianity might change if there was no idea of Heaven or Hell?
Essay Topic 2
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At some point, someone writes that Jesus was actually laughing when he was put to death on the the cross.
Part 1: How do you feel about the image of Jesus laughing as he is put to death?
Part 2: Why do you think the accounts of the crucifixion vary so widely?
Part 3: Do you think the crucifixion actually occurred? Why or why not?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)