|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ___________ was relatively solitary and generally quite introspective in nature, contrary to other systems.
2. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
3. The orthodox Christian looks at _____________ as a consequence of disbelief and of sin.
4. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
5. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of having one person as God seems to also relate to that day's thoughts about government and those in power.
Part 1: Do you think that the government had a vested interested in whether there was one God or more? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having one God figure help those who are in the government?
Part 3: Why do you think that monotheism seems to be a prevalent spiritual concept in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
At one point in time, the Romans considered the Christians to be heretics as they were not pagan in nature as the rulers were.
Part 1: Why do you think the the Romans felt they needed to punish the Christians?
Part 2: Why do you think that some Christians feel it's okay to punish those who consider themselves to be pagan?
Part 3: How do you think that religions should treat each other?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)