|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it came to discriminate as to the true Church, ______ pervaded even the sanctum of the orthodox.
2. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
3. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
4. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
5. At one point, some monks were ordered to destroy _________ texts, along with other monastic brethren, though some were not.
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
This section contains 1,691 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)