|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
2. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
3. The ___________ was relatively solitary and generally quite introspective in nature, contrary to other systems.
4. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
5. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At one point in time, the Romans considered the Christians to be heretics as they were not pagan in nature as the rulers were.
Part 1: Why do you think the the Romans felt they needed to punish the Christians?
Part 2: Why do you think that some Christians feel it's okay to punish those who consider themselves to be pagan?
Part 3: How do you think that religions should treat each other?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)