|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The orthodox Christian looks at _____________ as a consequence of disbelief and of sin.
2. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
3. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
4. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
5. The Roman Empire believed that the Christian followers saw their many pagan gods as _______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)