|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is said that at least the Christians had been called by God, unlike the pagans who could be excused for their ____________.
2. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
3. The advice of Jesus to Thomas was attractive to the ____________ as it indicated there was only a strict and narrow path to Heaven.
4. When it came to discriminate as to the true Church, ______ pervaded even the sanctum of the orthodox.
5. __________ united Gnostic brethren together and that brotherhood was paramount, not the obedience to any clergy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)