|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
2. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
3. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
4. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
5. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
Essay Topic 3
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)