|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
2. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
3. The advice of Jesus to Thomas was attractive to the ____________ as it indicated there was only a strict and narrow path to Heaven.
4. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
5. Justin speaks of a woman who was converted to Christianity by her teacher, ______________, and then she was a better person.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of having one person as God seems to also relate to that day's thoughts about government and those in power.
Part 1: Do you think that the government had a vested interested in whether there was one God or more? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having one God figure help those who are in the government?
Part 3: Why do you think that monotheism seems to be a prevalent spiritual concept in today's society?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)