|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
2. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
3. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
4. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
5. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
Essay Topic 3
There is also some debate that the Gnostic gospels were not necessarily written by the actual apostles to whom they are ascribed, but rather that they are written in the spirit of these apostles.
Part 1: Why do you think that some felt it necessary to point out the possible difference in the authors?
Part 2: Do you think it matters who wrote the gospels which were found? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic viewpoint might change if it were proven that none of the gospels were written by the actual apostles? Why?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)