|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
2. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
3. At one point, some monks were ordered to destroy _________ texts, along with other monastic brethren, though some were not.
4. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
5. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, it seems unclear as to what a true Christian might look like or believe.
Part 1: Do you think there should be only one definition of what a Christian is? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think that religion would change if there was only one definition of a Christian?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important for some to have a definition of what a Christian is?
Essay Topic 2
At some point, someone writes that Jesus was actually laughing when he was put to death on the the cross.
Part 1: How do you feel about the image of Jesus laughing as he is put to death?
Part 2: Why do you think the accounts of the crucifixion vary so widely?
Part 3: Do you think the crucifixion actually occurred? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)