|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
2. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
3. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
4. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
5. Valentinus described God as the Father, the Ineffable, the Depth, and the Primal ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
2. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
3. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
4. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
5. Why does Pagels state that the retelling of the story of Eden becomes problematic for those who consider themselves to be Christian?
6. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
7. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
8. What was the vision that John had, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion in the Apocryphon of John?
9. When Jesus tells Peter that he will lead her in order to make her male so that she too may become a living spirit, to whom is he referring?
10. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
Essay Topic 1
At some point, someone writes that Jesus was actually laughing when he was put to death on the the cross.
Part 1: How do you feel about the image of Jesus laughing as he is put to death?
Part 2: Why do you think the accounts of the crucifixion vary so widely?
Part 3: Do you think the crucifixion actually occurred? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,095 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)