|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
2. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
3. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
4. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
5. Marion concluded that there were ___________ because of the brutal God in the Old Testament and the compassionate God in the New Testament.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
2. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
3. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
4. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
5. What does Pagels give as an explanation as to why the story of the story of the resurrection seems to be so important to the faithful?
6. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
7. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
8. Who was the church of the Gnostics confined to, according to this section of the book?
9. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
10. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At one point in time, the Romans considered the Christians to be heretics as they were not pagan in nature as the rulers were.
Part 1: Why do you think the the Romans felt they needed to punish the Christians?
Part 2: Why do you think that some Christians feel it's okay to punish those who consider themselves to be pagan?
Part 3: How do you think that religions should treat each other?
This section contains 2,132 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)