|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
2. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
3. In the Apocryphon of John, the ____________ was the Holy Spirit as a part of the Holy Trinity.
4. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
5. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
2. After the death of Judas, the only true candidate for succession was which apostle?
3. How did Marcus the Magician relate to the idea of a feminine God or God-figure?
4. What kind of suffering was focused on in the Gnostic path and the belief system?
5. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
6. What made the idea of there only being a strict and narrow path to God so attractive to the orthodox?
7. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
8. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
9. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
10. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a certain point in time, the idea of Martyrdom become something that was accepted in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the being a martyr is so acceptable?
Part 2: Do you believe that being a martyr for your faith is an honorable thing? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that martyrdom is something which should be celebrated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At some point, someone writes that Jesus was actually laughing when he was put to death on the the cross.
Part 1: How do you feel about the image of Jesus laughing as he is put to death?
Part 2: Why do you think the accounts of the crucifixion vary so widely?
Part 3: Do you think the crucifixion actually occurred? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Gnostic gospels seem to state that it's not that becoming a martyr will lead to Heaven each time, but that the awareness of the teachings of Christ is the reward.
Part 1: Do you think that Heaven should be seen as the ultimate reward in the Christian life? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you believe that the awareness of Christ is something that is more important than what happens when you die? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Christianity might change if there was no idea of Heaven or Hell?
This section contains 2,104 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)