|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
2. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
3. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
4. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
5. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pagels suggest that perhaps there was a social aspect to the way the Church wanted to function?
2. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
3. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
4. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
5. What was the primary goal of the Valentianians in the way they lived and followed their beliefs?
6. What kind of criteria would the Gnostics give as being the true definition of a Christian?
7. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
8. How do the Gnostic texts portray the God that is present in the story of Adam and Eve in the tale of creation?
9. What did Mohammed 'Ali do when he realized there wasn't any treasure in the jar that he had found?
10. What does Pagels give as an explanation as to why the story of the story of the resurrection seems to be so important to the faithful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
Essay Topic 2
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)