|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
2. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
3. __________ was far more recognized and abundant than previously thought, especially in the years following Jesus' death.
4. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
5. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Valentinus present as a further breakdown of the parts of the Dyad?
2. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
3. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
4. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
5. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
6. What made the idea of there only being a strict and narrow path to God so attractive to the orthodox?
7. What are some of the explanations that the Gnostics offered for the resurrection stories of Jesus?
8. What kind of criteria would the Gnostics give as being the true definition of a Christian?
9. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
10. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At some point, someone writes that Jesus was actually laughing when he was put to death on the the cross.
Part 1: How do you feel about the image of Jesus laughing as he is put to death?
Part 2: Why do you think the accounts of the crucifixion vary so widely?
Part 3: Do you think the crucifixion actually occurred? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)