|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
2. In the Apocryphon of John, the ____________ was the Holy Spirit as a part of the Holy Trinity.
3. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
4. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
5. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
Short Essay Questions
1. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
2. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
3. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
4. When one looks at the gnostic groups, what is the one thing which remains certain, according to the author?
5. After the death of Judas, the only true candidate for succession was which apostle?
6. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
7. What kind of suffering was focused on in the Gnostic path and the belief system?
8. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
9. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
10. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The brothers decided to go after the killer of their father, hacking him to bits and eating his heart.
Part 1: Why do you think the brothers thought this sort of killing was necessary?
Part 2: Do you think it's ever a good idea to kill another person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the brothers' life will change as a result of their murderous actions?
Essay Topic 3
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)