|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
2. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
3. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
4. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
5. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
2. What was one of the most important archaeological events that took place in December of 1945?
3. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
4. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
5. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
6. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
7. What is a possible explanation for the burial of the sacred texts in the jar that Mohammed 'Ali found?
8. Who was the church of the Gnostics confined to, according to this section of the book?
9. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
10. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is also some debate that the Gnostic gospels were not necessarily written by the actual apostles to whom they are ascribed, but rather that they are written in the spirit of these apostles.
Part 1: Why do you think that some felt it necessary to point out the possible difference in the authors?
Part 2: Do you think it matters who wrote the gospels which were found? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic viewpoint might change if it were proven that none of the gospels were written by the actual apostles? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)