Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
2. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
3. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
4. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
5. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
2. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
3. Why does Pagels suggest that perhaps there was a social aspect to the way the Church wanted to function?
4. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
5. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
6. What did Mohammed 'Ali do when he realized there wasn't any treasure in the jar that he had found?
7. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
8. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
9. What does Pagels give as an explanation as to why the story of the story of the resurrection seems to be so important to the faithful?
10. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
According to Pagels, most of the Western religions realize that God is beyond the idea of gender.
Part 1: Do you think this it's important to determine a gender for God? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that many people believe that God is without gender?
Part 3: How do you think religion or spirituality changes when God is given a gender identity? Why?
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)