|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Muhammed give some of the papyri since he felt that he needed to get rid of them before the police found them?
2. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
3. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
4. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
5. What kind of teacher was Raghib, the man who told Muhammed that the scrolls might be worth some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
2. What does Jesus challenge his apostles to do in order to see that he has indeed resurrected?
3. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
4. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
5. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
6. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
7. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
8. How do the Gnostic texts portray the God that is present in the story of Adam and Eve in the tale of creation?
9. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
10. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)