|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
2. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
3. In the traditional orthodox canon, the spirit or the _____________ is gender neutral, but this is not the case everywhere.
4. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
5. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mohammed 'Ali do when he realized there wasn't any treasure in the jar that he had found?
2. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
3. What was the debate the gnostic teachers had about the idea of the Dyad in the relationship of God?
4. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
5. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
6. In the trinity of Christianity, only one of the three principals is genderless, which one?
7. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
8. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
9. What is a possible explanation for the burial of the sacred texts in the jar that Mohammed 'Ali found?
10. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in time, the Romans considered the Christians to be heretics as they were not pagan in nature as the rulers were.
Part 1: Why do you think the the Romans felt they needed to punish the Christians?
Part 2: Why do you think that some Christians feel it's okay to punish those who consider themselves to be pagan?
Part 3: How do you think that religions should treat each other?
Essay Topic 3
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)