|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
4. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
5. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of the most important archaeological events that took place in December of 1945?
2. What was the debate the gnostic teachers had about the idea of the Dyad in the relationship of God?
3. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
4. What is the Christian creed some believe was created in order to exclude Marcion?
5. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
6. How do the Gnostic texts portray the God that is present in the story of Adam and Eve in the tale of creation?
7. When one looks at the gnostic groups, what is the one thing which remains certain, according to the author?
8. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
9. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
10. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are some who believe that man creates the world of God, and that the path of God lies within man's own mind.
Part 1: Do you believe that faith is externally based or internally based? Why?
Part 2: How do you think that religions might change if faith was not seen as something that happened outside of one's self?
Part 3: Do you think that faith is something you have or something that you need to earn? Why?
Essay Topic 2
According to Pagels, most of the Western religions realize that God is beyond the idea of gender.
Part 1: Do you think this it's important to determine a gender for God? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that many people believe that God is without gender?
Part 3: How do you think religion or spirituality changes when God is given a gender identity? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)