|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
2. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
3. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
4. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
5. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
Short Essay Questions
1. What made the idea of there only being a strict and narrow path to God so attractive to the orthodox?
2. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
3. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
4. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
5. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
6. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
7. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
8. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
9. What are some of the explanations that the Gnostics offered for the resurrection stories of Jesus?
10. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,139 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)