|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
2. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
3. Gnostic teachers debated whether or not the Dyad was an actual unified __________, with a male/female structure.
4. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
5. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
2. What does Jesus challenge his apostles to do in order to see that he has indeed resurrected?
3. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
4. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
5. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
6. Why does Pagels suggest that perhaps there was a social aspect to the way the Church wanted to function?
7. In the trinity of Christianity, only one of the three principals is genderless, which one?
8. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
9. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
10. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scrolls themselves became scattered around the world once people realized they were of value and began to sell them to the highest bidders.
Part 1: Why do you think that people wanted the money more than the information?
Part 2: If you were living in that time and found these scrolls, what would you have done with them? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to get money for priceless objects? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
Essay Topic 3
Christians often believe that one should suffer as Christ did on the cross in order to understand Christ's sacrifice for the world.
Part 1: Do you think that suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the world might be if there was no suffering?
Part 3: How do you think that suffering benefits a person? Or doesn't it? Do you think that seeing the suffering of others is a good motivator? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)