|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
2. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
3. __________ was far more recognized and abundant than previously thought, especially in the years following Jesus' death.
4. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
5. The ___________, often called the Watchword of the Jewish faith, proclaims, "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One."
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
2. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
3. What has created a lot of controversy when it comes to discussions between scholars of biblical texts?
4. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
5. What kind of suffering was focused on in the Gnostic path and the belief system?
6. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
7. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
8. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
9. What was one of the most important archaeological events that took place in December of 1945?
10. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The brothers decided to go after the killer of their father, hacking him to bits and eating his heart.
Part 1: Why do you think the brothers thought this sort of killing was necessary?
Part 2: Do you think it's ever a good idea to kill another person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the brothers' life will change as a result of their murderous actions?
Essay Topic 2
There are some who believe that man creates the world of God, and that the path of God lies within man's own mind.
Part 1: Do you believe that faith is externally based or internally based? Why?
Part 2: How do you think that religions might change if faith was not seen as something that happened outside of one's self?
Part 3: Do you think that faith is something you have or something that you need to earn? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Pagels also points out that at times, beliefs that weren't logical became preeminent.
Part 1: Do you think it's dangerous for illogical beliefs to be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 2: Does it matter whether a belief is logical? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think society would change of all accepted beliefs were logical? Why?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)