|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
2. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
3. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
4. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
5. Gnostic teachers debated whether or not the Dyad was an actual unified __________, with a male/female structure.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
2. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
3. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
4. When Jesus tells Peter that he will lead her in order to make her male so that she too may become a living spirit, to whom is he referring?
5. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
6. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
7. Even during the time of the Reformation, what did the Protestant sects adhere to in terms of a doctrine?
8. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
9. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
10. What was the vision that John had, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion in the Apocryphon of John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, it seems unclear as to what a true Christian might look like or believe.
Part 1: Do you think there should be only one definition of what a Christian is? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think that religion would change if there was only one definition of a Christian?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important for some to have a definition of what a Christian is?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)