|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophia further assists Adam and Eve when she saves their descendants during the time of ____________.
2. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
3. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
4. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
5. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
2. What kind of criteria would the Gnostics give as being the true definition of a Christian?
3. Why does Pagels suggest that perhaps there was a social aspect to the way the Church wanted to function?
4. Why does Pagels state that the retelling of the story of Eden becomes problematic for those who consider themselves to be Christian?
5. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
6. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
7. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
8. What does Valentinus present as a further breakdown of the parts of the Dyad?
9. Even during the time of the Reformation, what did the Protestant sects adhere to in terms of a doctrine?
10. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Looking at the Bible in a different way is not always something that people are willing to do.
Part 1: Why do you think people are resistant to seeing the Bible in a new way?
Part 2: Do you think that it's a good idea or a bad idea to look at new perspectives in the Bible? Why?
Part 3: How do you think religion might change if the gnostic gospels were considered to be true? Why?
Essay Topic 2
According to Pagels, most of the Western religions realize that God is beyond the idea of gender.
Part 1: Do you think this it's important to determine a gender for God? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that many people believe that God is without gender?
Part 3: How do you think religion or spirituality changes when God is given a gender identity? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Pagels also points out that at times, beliefs that weren't logical became preeminent.
Part 1: Do you think it's dangerous for illogical beliefs to be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 2: Does it matter whether a belief is logical? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think society would change of all accepted beliefs were logical? Why?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)