|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
2. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
3. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
4. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
5. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesus challenge his apostles to do in order to see that he has indeed resurrected?
2. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
3. What made the idea of there only being a strict and narrow path to God so attractive to the orthodox?
4. What kind of criteria would the Gnostics give as being the true definition of a Christian?
5. Why does Pagels suggest that perhaps there was a social aspect to the way the Church wanted to function?
6. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
7. What did Mohammed 'Ali do when he realized there wasn't any treasure in the jar that he had found?
8. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
9. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
10. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of having one person as God seems to also relate to that day's thoughts about government and those in power.
Part 1: Do you think that the government had a vested interested in whether there was one God or more? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having one God figure help those who are in the government?
Part 3: Why do you think that monotheism seems to be a prevalent spiritual concept in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
Essay Topic 3
The brothers decided to go after the killer of their father, hacking him to bits and eating his heart.
Part 1: Why do you think the brothers thought this sort of killing was necessary?
Part 2: Do you think it's ever a good idea to kill another person? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the brothers' life will change as a result of their murderous actions?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)