|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
2. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
3. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
4. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
5. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
2. What kind of suffering was focused on in the Gnostic path and the belief system?
3. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
4. What did Mohammed 'Ali do when he realized there wasn't any treasure in the jar that he had found?
5. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
6. How do the Gnostic texts portray the God that is present in the story of Adam and Eve in the tale of creation?
7. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
8. Why does Pagels suggest that perhaps there was a social aspect to the way the Church wanted to function?
9. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
10. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Gnostics seem to lean toward a dualistic form of God, with one being lighter and another being darker.
Part 1: Do you think the dualistic views of God are important? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having more than one view of God change a belief system?
Part 3: Do you think that it's easier or better to have one God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of having one person as God seems to also relate to that day's thoughts about government and those in power.
Part 1: Do you think that the government had a vested interested in whether there was one God or more? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having one God figure help those who are in the government?
Part 3: Why do you think that monotheism seems to be a prevalent spiritual concept in today's society?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)