|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus the ______ received his visions in feminine form and in his Gnostic masses represented her blood as wine.
2. Once committed to the Mother and Father of the world, the candidate undertook the secret sacrament of apolytrosis, or _________.
3. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
4. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
5. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
2. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
3. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
4. What does Pagels give as an explanation as to why the story of the story of the resurrection seems to be so important to the faithful?
5. How do the Gnostic texts portray the God that is present in the story of Adam and Eve in the tale of creation?
6. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
7. When Jesus tells Peter that he will lead her in order to make her male so that she too may become a living spirit, to whom is he referring?
8. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
9. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
10. Who was the church of the Gnostics confined to, according to this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of having one person as God seems to also relate to that day's thoughts about government and those in power.
Part 1: Do you think that the government had a vested interested in whether there was one God or more? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having one God figure help those who are in the government?
Part 3: Why do you think that monotheism seems to be a prevalent spiritual concept in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
The Gnostic gospels seem to state that it's not that becoming a martyr will lead to Heaven each time, but that the awareness of the teachings of Christ is the reward.
Part 1: Do you think that Heaven should be seen as the ultimate reward in the Christian life? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you believe that the awareness of Christ is something that is more important than what happens when you die? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Christianity might change if there was no idea of Heaven or Hell?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)