|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
2. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
3. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
4. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
5. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
2. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
3. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
4. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
5. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
6. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
7. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
8. In the trinity of Christianity, only one of the three principals is genderless, which one?
9. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
10. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of having one person as God seems to also relate to that day's thoughts about government and those in power.
Part 1: Do you think that the government had a vested interested in whether there was one God or more? Why or why not?
Part 2: How does having one God figure help those who are in the government?
Part 3: Why do you think that monotheism seems to be a prevalent spiritual concept in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
Essay Topic 3
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)