Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
4. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
2. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
3. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
4. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
5. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
6. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
7. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
8. What was the debate the gnostic teachers had about the idea of the Dyad in the relationship of God?
9. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
10. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
Essay Topic 1
There are some who believe that man creates the world of God, and that the path of God lies within man's own mind.
Part 1: Do you believe that faith is externally based or internally based? Why?
Part 2: How do you think that religions might change if faith was not seen as something that happened outside of one's self?
Part 3: Do you think that faith is something you have or something that you need to earn? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the resurrection was a turning point in the history of the world, at least in the Christian world.
Part 1: Why do you think the resurrection was such a turning point in the history of the Christian world?
Part 2: Do you think that Christianity would have the power it does if the resurrection had not happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the resurrection story is a metaphor or do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There is also some debate that the Gnostic gospels were not necessarily written by the actual apostles to whom they are ascribed, but rather that they are written in the spirit of these apostles.
Part 1: Why do you think that some felt it necessary to point out the possible difference in the authors?
Part 2: Do you think it matters who wrote the gospels which were found? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic viewpoint might change if it were proven that none of the gospels were written by the actual apostles? Why?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)