|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, North American Indian, and other faiths, the ____________ is a conspicuous component of the faith, sometimes to the exclusion of the masculine.
2. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
3. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
4. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
5. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mohammed 'Ali do when he realized there wasn't any treasure in the jar that he had found?
2. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
3. Who was the church of the Gnostics confined to, according to this section of the book?
4. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
5. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
6. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
7. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
8. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
9. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
10. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning, those that found the jar with the gospels in it did not want to break the jar, lest they cause harm or they have bad luck befall them.
Part 1: Why do you think that superstition still thrives?
Part 2: Do you think you would have broken the jar more quickly than those of the story did? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that breaking open the jar was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The belief in the resurrection was one that spread because of its political power, according to Pagels.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of the resurrection was so effective in politics?
Part 2: Do you think that a person has to choose whether they believe the resurrection happened or not? Why?
Part 3: Does it matter to you what faith your elected officials are? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Gnostics seem to have several different versions of the story of what happened to Jesus after he hung on the cross.
Part 1: Why do you think the Gnostics are fine with having multiple and varying stories?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to have as many different sorts of stories as possible or to have one story? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic person interprets the idea of the resurrection? Why?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)