|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
2. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
3. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
4. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
5. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
2. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
3. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
4. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
5. What does Jesus challenge his apostles to do in order to see that he has indeed resurrected?
6. How did Marcus the Magician relate to the idea of a feminine God or God-figure?
7. What was the primary goal of the Valentianians in the way they lived and followed their beliefs?
8. What has created a lot of controversy when it comes to discussions between scholars of biblical texts?
9. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
10. What does the idea of the laughing of Jesus during his torture and flogging seem to imply to those who read it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in time, the Romans considered the Christians to be heretics as they were not pagan in nature as the rulers were.
Part 1: Why do you think the the Romans felt they needed to punish the Christians?
Part 2: Why do you think that some Christians feel it's okay to punish those who consider themselves to be pagan?
Part 3: How do you think that religions should treat each other?
Essay Topic 2
In many modern Christian religions, it seems that the feminine aspect is not as widely addressed or celebrated as the male aspect.
Part 1: Why do you think that the male gender is one which is celebrated more than the female?
Part 2: Do you think that having a hierarchy of genders within religions is helpful or hurtful?
Part 3: How do you think that that society's view of religions would change if there was no focus on gender?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, it seems unclear as to what a true Christian might look like or believe.
Part 1: Do you think there should be only one definition of what a Christian is? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think that religion would change if there was only one definition of a Christian?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important for some to have a definition of what a Christian is?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)