|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
2. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
3. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
4. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
5. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
2. When one looks at the gnostic groups, what is the one thing which remains certain, according to the author?
3. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
4. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
5. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
6. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
7. What was the vision that John had, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion in the Apocryphon of John?
8. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
9. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
10. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, it seems unclear as to what a true Christian might look like or believe.
Part 1: Do you think there should be only one definition of what a Christian is? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think that religion would change if there was only one definition of a Christian?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important for some to have a definition of what a Christian is?
Essay Topic 2
There is also some debate that the Gnostic gospels were not necessarily written by the actual apostles to whom they are ascribed, but rather that they are written in the spirit of these apostles.
Part 1: Why do you think that some felt it necessary to point out the possible difference in the authors?
Part 2: Do you think it matters who wrote the gospels which were found? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Gnostic viewpoint might change if it were proven that none of the gospels were written by the actual apostles? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There are some who believe that man creates the world of God, and that the path of God lies within man's own mind.
Part 1: Do you believe that faith is externally based or internally based? Why?
Part 2: How do you think that religions might change if faith was not seen as something that happened outside of one's self?
Part 3: Do you think that faith is something you have or something that you need to earn? Why?
This section contains 2,087 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)