|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
2. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
3. The Christian's world was a world of daily _______________, of special masses and other community gatherings.
4. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
(c) Church of Peter.
5. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) The Christ of Pain.
(b) Brothers Karamazov.
(c) Crime and Punishment.
(d) Uncle Vanya.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ united Gnostic brethren together and that brotherhood was paramount, not the obedience to any clergy.
2. After the death of Jesus, a ______________ soldier was the one who started the riot in the Temple, causing many deaths in the process.
3. The ___________ was relatively solitary and generally quite introspective in nature, contrary to other systems.
4. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
5. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)