|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
2. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
3. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
4. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
5. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the works of the philosopher, Nietzsche, he speaks of Jesus as being the only true _____________.
2. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
3. The Gnostic suffering is the result of ignorance of __________, of the God within everyone.
4. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
5. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)