|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
2. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
3. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
4. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
5. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
2. Pagels points out that the discussion of Gnosticism points out _____________ of great value to all believers.
3. The orthodox church wanted to have more controversy in order to create ______________ to basic institutional and doctrinal elements.
4. Ignatius placed the presence of the ____________ as the legitimizing force in administering the sacrament and in holding meetings.
5. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)