|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(a) To a teacher.
(b) Of faith.
2. In the Dialogue of the Savior, Jesus says that in order to get to Heaven, when you get to "the ________ where you can reach, stand there."
3. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
4. Justin also wrote about the bravery and dignity of ____________ when they were put under terrible torture conditions.
5. To the Gnostics, the body of the orthodox church, the mass of _________ believers was outside of the true Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. The orthodox church wanted to have more controversy in order to create ______________ to basic institutional and doctrinal elements.
2. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
3. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
4. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
5. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)