|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
2. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
3. Phillip in his gospel laughs at the _________________ as a test of spiritual sufficiency, as people receive nothing from this.
(d) Baptism by water.
4. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) The Christ of Pain.
(b) Crime and Punishment.
(c) Brothers Karamazov.
(d) Uncle Vanya.
5. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
6. The Roman Empire believed that the Christian followers saw their many pagan gods as _______________.
(a) Lesser beings.
7. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
(c) Church of Peter.
8. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
9. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
10. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
11. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
(d) Bible scripture.
12. After the death of Jesus, a ______________ soldier was the one who started the riot in the Temple, causing many deaths in the process.
13. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
14. Pagels wonders if it was the __________ function of the Church which allowed it to be kept alive for so many years.
15. The ___________ was relatively solitary and generally quite introspective in nature, contrary to other systems.
(a) The Jewish faith.
(b) The Muslim journey.
(c) Gnostic path.
(d) The Christian world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
2. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
3. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
4. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
5. Peter distinguishes between the fleshly, suffering Christ and the living Christ, casting even more of a shadow on the idea of the ________________.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)