|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
2. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
3. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
4. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
5. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
6. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
7. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
8. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
9. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
10. The young Christian woman named Blandina was able to withstand tremendous pain and torture, eventually being killed by being tossed in a net and exposed to ____________.
(a) A lake.
(b) A bull.
(c) The elements.
11. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
12. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
13. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
14. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is made a cardinal.
(b) He is put to death.
(c) He is made pope.
(d) He is exiled from the country.
15. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(a) To a teacher.
(c) Of faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
2. The Christan world, it could be said, was and continues to be one of __________ reality.
3. The Roman Empire believed that the Christian followers saw their many pagan gods as _______________.
4. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
5. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)