|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
(a) Something not to be understood.
(b) Within than without.
(c) Vague than concrete.
(d) Dark than light.
2. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
3. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
4. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
5. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
6. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
7. __________ united Gnostic brethren together and that brotherhood was paramount, not the obedience to any clergy.
(a) The Bible.
(b) God's laws.
8. After the death of Jesus, a ______________ soldier was the one who started the riot in the Temple, causing many deaths in the process.
9. The young Christian woman named Blandina was able to withstand tremendous pain and torture, eventually being killed by being tossed in a net and exposed to ____________.
(a) The elements.
(c) A lake.
(d) A bull.
10. The advice of Jesus to Thomas was attractive to the ____________ as it indicated there was only a strict and narrow path to Heaven.
11. In the Dialogue of the Savior, Jesus says that in order to get to Heaven, when you get to "the ________ where you can reach, stand there."
12. How did the soldier start the riot which caused so many deaths in the Temple's courtyard?
(a) Exposing himself.
(b) Ripping up the scriptures.
(c) Blaspheming Jesus.
(d) Swearing and cursing.
13. The orthodox church wanted to have more controversy in order to create ______________ to basic institutional and doctrinal elements.
14. The Christan world, it could be said, was and continues to be one of __________ reality.
15. At one point, some monks were ordered to destroy _________ texts, along with other monastic brethren, though some were not.
Short Answer Questions
1. To the Gnostics, the body of the orthodox church, the mass of _________ believers was outside of the true Church.
2. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
3. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
4. The ____________ between the Gnostic and the orthodox is echoed in the centuries to come, according to historical findings.
5. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)