|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
2. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
(a) Only in faith in the clergy.
(b) In the Bible.
(c) Within man's own mind.
(d) In the Scrolls.
3. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) Brothers Karamazov.
(b) Uncle Vanya.
(c) Crime and Punishment.
(d) The Christ of Pain.
4. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
5. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
6. Jesus tells Thomas that no one comes to the Father, but by ________ when he is asked about getting to the next level.
7. The orthodox Christian looks at _____________ as a consequence of disbelief and of sin.
8. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
9. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is made pope.
(b) He is exiled from the country.
(c) He is put to death.
(d) He is made a cardinal.
10. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
11. The orthodox church wanted to have more controversy in order to create ______________ to basic institutional and doctrinal elements.
12. The Gnostic suffering is the result of ignorance of __________, of the God within everyone.
13. The Valentinians also speak of the birth of _________ from her confusion, water from her terror, and air from her grief.
14. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
15. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
2. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
3. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
4. The Christian's world was a world of daily _______________, of special masses and other community gatherings.
5. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)