|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Valentinians also speak of the birth of _________ from her confusion, water from her terror, and air from her grief.
2. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
3. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
(a) In the Scrolls.
(b) In the Bible.
(c) Within man's own mind.
(d) Only in faith in the clergy.
4. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
5. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
6. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) The Christ of Pain.
(b) Crime and Punishment.
(c) Brothers Karamazov.
(d) Uncle Vanya.
7. Peter distinguishes between the fleshly, suffering Christ and the living Christ, casting even more of a shadow on the idea of the ________________.
(b) Events at Gesethemene.
8. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
(a) The Church.
(c) The Sky.
(d) The side of Peter.
9. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
(a) Giving money to the coffers.
(b) Sexual abstinence.
10. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
11. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
12. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
13. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
14. The ___________ was relatively solitary and generally quite introspective in nature, contrary to other systems.
(a) The Jewish faith.
(b) Gnostic path.
(c) The Christian world.
(d) The Muslim journey.
15. Pagels is quick to point out that this book is not an argument for _______________, but a call to learning more.
(d) A right answer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Justin also wrote about the bravery and dignity of ____________ when they were put under terrible torture conditions.
2. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
3. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
4. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
5. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)