|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
2. When it came to discriminate as to the true Church, ______ pervaded even the sanctum of the orthodox.
3. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
4. The young Christian woman named Blandina was able to withstand tremendous pain and torture, eventually being killed by being tossed in a net and exposed to ____________.
(a) A bull.
(b) A lake.
(d) The elements.
5. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(b) Of faith.
(c) To a teacher.
6. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
7. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
8. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
9. To the Gnostics, the body of the orthodox church, the mass of _________ believers was outside of the true Church.
10. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
11. Pagels is quick to point out that this book is not an argument for _______________, but a call to learning more.
(b) A right answer.
12. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
13. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
14. Tertullian later spoke of joining a spiritual church for spiritual people, not a church for ___________.
(b) The lost.
15. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point, some monks were ordered to destroy _________ texts, along with other monastic brethren, though some were not.
2. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
3. The laughing Jesus implies a separation between the physical and the spiritual Jesus and casts doubt on the traditional concept of the ________.
4. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
5. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)