|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
2. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(a) Christian woman.
(c) Disciple of Jesus.
(d) Christian man.
3. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
4. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
(b) Emperor Crucius.
(c) Pontius Pilate.
5. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
6. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
(b) Sexual abstinence.
(d) Giving money to the coffers.
7. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
8. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
9. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
10. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
11. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
12. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
13. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
14. In what gospel does Jesus respond to Thomas' passionate request to learn how to get to the next level?
15. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Valentinians also speak of the birth of _________ from her confusion, water from her terror, and air from her grief.
2. Phillip in his gospel laughs at the _________________ as a test of spiritual sufficiency, as people receive nothing from this.
3. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
4. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
5. It is said that at least the Christians had been called by God, unlike the pagans who could be excused for their ____________.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)