|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
2. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
3. In the Dialogue of the Savior, Jesus says that in order to get to Heaven, when you get to "the ________ where you can reach, stand there."
4. Jesus tells Thomas that no one comes to the Father, but by ________ when he is asked about getting to the next level.
5. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
6. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
7. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
8. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
9. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
(a) The side of Peter.
(c) The Church.
(d) The Sky.
10. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
(b) Sexual abstinence.
(c) Giving money to the coffers.
11. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
12. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
(a) Ritual drink.
13. The laughing Jesus implies a separation between the physical and the spiritual Jesus and casts doubt on the traditional concept of the ________.
(a) Connection between Jesus and man.
14. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
15. In the works of the philosopher, Nietzsche, he speaks of Jesus as being the only true _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
2. Pagels wonders if it was the __________ function of the Church which allowed it to be kept alive for so many years.
3. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
4. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
5. In what gospel does Jesus respond to Thomas' passionate request to learn how to get to the next level?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)