|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. __________ united Gnostic brethren together and that brotherhood was paramount, not the obedience to any clergy.
(a) God's laws.
(c) The Bible.
2. Peter distinguishes between the fleshly, suffering Christ and the living Christ, casting even more of a shadow on the idea of the ________________.
(d) Events at Gesethemene.
3. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
(a) The Sky.
(b) The side of Peter.
(c) The Church.
4. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
5. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) Crime and Punishment.
(b) Uncle Vanya.
(c) Brothers Karamazov.
(d) The Christ of Pain.
6. Ignatius placed the presence of the ____________ as the legitimizing force in administering the sacrament and in holding meetings.
7. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
8. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
9. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
(b) Holy water.
(c) Service atttendance.
(d) Obedience to the clergy.
10. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
(d) Ritual drink.
11. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
12. How did the soldier start the riot which caused so many deaths in the Temple's courtyard?
(a) Blaspheming Jesus.
(b) Ripping up the scriptures.
(c) Swearing and cursing.
(d) Exposing himself.
13. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
14. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
15. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
2. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
3. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
4. The ____________ between the Gnostic and the orthodox is echoed in the centuries to come, according to historical findings.
5. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)