|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
2. Pagels points out that the discussion of Gnosticism points out _____________ of great value to all believers.
3. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
(c) Sexual abstinence.
(d) Giving money to the coffers.
4. The laughing Jesus implies a separation between the physical and the spiritual Jesus and casts doubt on the traditional concept of the ________.
(a) Connection between Jesus and man.
5. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
6. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
7. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
8. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
9. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
10. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(a) To a teacher.
(b) Of faith.
11. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
12. The orthodox Christian looks at _____________ as a consequence of disbelief and of sin.
13. The Gnostic suffering is the result of ignorance of __________, of the God within everyone.
14. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
15. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
2. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
3. The ____________ between the Gnostic and the orthodox is echoed in the centuries to come, according to historical findings.
4. The advice of Jesus to Thomas was attractive to the ____________ as it indicated there was only a strict and narrow path to Heaven.
5. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)