|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Christian's world was a world of daily _______________, of special masses and other community gatherings.
2. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
3. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
(a) The side of Peter.
(c) The Sky.
(d) The Church.
4. When it came to discriminate as to the true Church, ______ pervaded even the sanctum of the orthodox.
5. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(b) Of faith.
(c) To a teacher.
6. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(a) Disciple of Jesus.
(c) Christian man.
(d) Christian woman.
7. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
8. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
9. Pagels wonders if it was the __________ function of the Church which allowed it to be kept alive for so many years.
10. The Valentinians also speak of the birth of _________ from her confusion, water from her terror, and air from her grief.
11. Pagels points out that the discussion of Gnosticism points out _____________ of great value to all believers.
12. Jesus tells Thomas that no one comes to the Father, but by ________ when he is asked about getting to the next level.
13. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
14. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
15. The young Christian woman named Blandina was able to withstand tremendous pain and torture, eventually being killed by being tossed in a net and exposed to ____________.
(a) The elements.
(c) A bull.
(d) A lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
2. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
3. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
4. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
5. The Roman Empire believed that the Christian followers saw their many pagan gods as _______________.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)