|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The orthodox Christian looks at _____________ as a consequence of disbelief and of sin.
2. The Christian's world was a world of daily _______________, of special masses and other community gatherings.
3. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
4. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
(a) In the Scrolls.
(b) In the Bible.
(c) Within man's own mind.
(d) Only in faith in the clergy.
5. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
(a) The side of Peter.
(c) The Sky.
(d) The Church.
6. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
7. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) Crime and Punishment.
(b) Uncle Vanya.
(c) Brothers Karamazov.
(d) The Christ of Pain.
8. The orthodox church wanted to have more controversy in order to create ______________ to basic institutional and doctrinal elements.
9. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
10. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
11. The Christan world, it could be said, was and continues to be one of __________ reality.
12. The ___________ was relatively solitary and generally quite introspective in nature, contrary to other systems.
(a) The Muslim journey.
(b) Gnostic path.
(c) The Christian world.
(d) The Jewish faith.
13. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(b) Christian woman.
(c) Christian man.
(d) Disciple of Jesus.
14. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
15. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
2. Jesus tells Thomas that no one comes to the Father, but by ________ when he is asked about getting to the next level.
3. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
4. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
5. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)