|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
2. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
(d) Ritual drink.
3. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
4. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
(a) Giving money to the coffers.
(d) Sexual abstinence.
5. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
6. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
7. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
8. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
9. Tertullian turned away from the ____________ movement, joining a Montanist movement that featured a new prophecy.
(c) Christian scientists.
10. The laughing Jesus implies a separation between the physical and the spiritual Jesus and casts doubt on the traditional concept of the ________.
(b) Connection between Jesus and man.
11. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
(b) Emperor Crucius.
(d) Pontius Pilate.
12. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
13. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
14. Pagels is quick to point out that this book is not an argument for _______________, but a call to learning more.
(a) A right answer.
15. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
2. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
3. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
4. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
5. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)