|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
2. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is put to death.
(b) He is made a cardinal.
(c) He is exiled from the country.
(d) He is made pope.
3. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
4. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
(a) The Sky.
(b) The Church.
(d) The side of Peter.
5. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
6. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
7. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
8. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
9. Pagels points out that the discussion of Gnosticism points out _____________ of great value to all believers.
10. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
11. The laughing Jesus implies a separation between the physical and the spiritual Jesus and casts doubt on the traditional concept of the ________.
(c) Connection between Jesus and man.
12. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
13. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
14. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
(c) Giving money to the coffers.
(d) Sexual abstinence.
15. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
2. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
3. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
4. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
5. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)