|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostic suffering is the result of ignorance of __________, of the God within everyone.
2. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is made pope.
(b) He is made a cardinal.
(c) He is exiled from the country.
(d) He is put to death.
3. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
4. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
5. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
(a) Within man's own mind.
(b) Only in faith in the clergy.
(c) In the Scrolls.
(d) In the Bible.
6. It is said that at least the Christians had been called by God, unlike the pagans who could be excused for their ____________.
7. At one point, some monks were ordered to destroy _________ texts, along with other monastic brethren, though some were not.
8. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
9. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(b) Christian woman.
(c) Disciple of Jesus.
(d) Christian man.
10. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
11. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
12. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
13. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
14. In the works of the philosopher, Nietzsche, he speaks of Jesus as being the only true _____________.
15. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
2. How did the soldier start the riot which caused so many deaths in the Temple's courtyard?
3. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
4. The Valentinians also speak of the birth of _________ from her confusion, water from her terror, and air from her grief.
5. In the Dialogue of the Savior, Jesus says that in order to get to Heaven, when you get to "the ________ where you can reach, stand there."
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)