|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what gospel does Jesus respond to Thomas' passionate request to learn how to get to the next level?
2. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
3. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
4. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
5. Ignatius placed the presence of the ____________ as the legitimizing force in administering the sacrament and in holding meetings.
6. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is put to death.
(b) He is exiled from the country.
(c) He is made pope.
(d) He is made a cardinal.
7. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
8. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
9. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
10. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
11. It is said that at least the Christians had been called by God, unlike the pagans who could be excused for their ____________.
12. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
13. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
14. Tertullian turned away from the ____________ movement, joining a Montanist movement that featured a new prophecy.
(b) Christian scientists.
15. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
2. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
3. The young Christian woman named Blandina was able to withstand tremendous pain and torture, eventually being killed by being tossed in a net and exposed to ____________.
4. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
5. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)