|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels wonders if it was the __________ function of the Church which allowed it to be kept alive for so many years.
2. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
3. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
(a) Within man's own mind.
(b) In the Bible.
(c) In the Scrolls.
(d) Only in faith in the clergy.
4. In the works of the philosopher, Nietzsche, he speaks of Jesus as being the only true _____________.
5. The ___________ was relatively solitary and generally quite introspective in nature, contrary to other systems.
(a) The Muslim journey.
(b) Gnostic path.
(c) The Jewish faith.
(d) The Christian world.
6. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
(a) Something not to be understood.
(b) Vague than concrete.
(c) Within than without.
(d) Dark than light.
7. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
8. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
9. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
10. To the Romans, the Christians were seen as _____________ since they were also part of an illegal organization.
11. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
12. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
13. The orthodox church wanted to have more controversy in order to create ______________ to basic institutional and doctrinal elements.
14. Frederik Wiss speculates that perhaps the Nag Hammadi find was the results of __________ at St. Pachomius.
15. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
2. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
3. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
4. After the death of Jesus, a ______________ soldier was the one who started the riot in the Temple, causing many deaths in the process.
5. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)