|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
2. Peter distinguishes between the fleshly, suffering Christ and the living Christ, casting even more of a shadow on the idea of the ________________.
(a) Events at Gesethemene.
3. The Christian's world was a world of daily _______________, of special masses and other community gatherings.
4. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
5. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
6. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
(a) Holy water.
(c) Service atttendance.
(d) Obedience to the clergy.
7. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(a) To a teacher.
(c) Of faith.
8. Pagels points out that the discussion of Gnosticism points out _____________ of great value to all believers.
9. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
10. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
11. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
12. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
13. Tertullian later spoke of joining a spiritual church for spiritual people, not a church for ___________.
(a) The lost.
14. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) Uncle Vanya.
(b) Brothers Karamazov.
(c) The Christ of Pain.
(d) Crime and Punishment.
15. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
Short Answer Questions
1. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
2. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
3. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
4. Pagels is quick to point out that this book is not an argument for _______________, but a call to learning more.
5. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)