|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
2. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
3. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(a) Christian woman.
(c) Disciple of Jesus.
(d) Christian man.
4. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
5. The Roman Empire believed that the Christian followers saw their many pagan gods as _______________.
(d) Lesser beings.
6. Pagels is quick to point out that this book is not an argument for _______________, but a call to learning more.
(c) A right answer.
7. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
8. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
9. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
10. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
11. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
(a) Vague than concrete.
(b) Within than without.
(c) Dark than light.
(d) Something not to be understood.
12. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
13. Pagels wonders if it was the __________ function of the Church which allowed it to be kept alive for so many years.
14. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
15. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
2. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
3. To the Gnostics, the body of the orthodox church, the mass of _________ believers was outside of the true Church.
4. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
5. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)