|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
2. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
3. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
(c) Pontius Pilate.
(d) Emperor Crucius.
4. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
5. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
6. The ____________ between the Gnostic and the orthodox is echoed in the centuries to come, according to historical findings.
7. What was not a part of the daily lives of Christians according to Pagels' conclusions?
8. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
9. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
10. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
11. The Christian's world was a world of daily _______________, of special masses and other community gatherings.
12. Tertullian turned away from the ____________ movement, joining a Montanist movement that featured a new prophecy.
(a) Christian scientists.
13. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
14. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
15. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
2. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
3. Jesus tells Thomas that no one comes to the Father, but by ________ when he is asked about getting to the next level.
4. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
5. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)