|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Justin also wrote about the bravery and dignity of ____________ when they were put under terrible torture conditions.
2. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
3. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
4. The young Christian woman named Blandina was able to withstand tremendous pain and torture, eventually being killed by being tossed in a net and exposed to ____________.
(b) The elements.
(c) A bull.
(d) A lake.
5. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
6. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
7. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
(a) In the Scrolls.
(b) Only in faith in the clergy.
(c) In the Bible.
(d) Within man's own mind.
8. At one point, some monks were ordered to destroy _________ texts, along with other monastic brethren, though some were not.
9. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
10. The writings of Peter state that the Gnostics believed the orthodox church was an/a ____________ church which claims exclusive legitimacy.
11. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
12. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
13. Tertullian later spoke of joining a spiritual church for spiritual people, not a church for ___________.
(a) The lost.
14. In the works of the philosopher, Nietzsche, he speaks of Jesus as being the only true _____________.
15. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Justin speaks of a woman who was converted to Christianity by her teacher, ______________, and then she was a better person.
2. The advice of Jesus to Thomas was attractive to the ____________ as it indicated there was only a strict and narrow path to Heaven.
3. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
4. When it came to discriminate as to the true Church, ______ pervaded even the sanctum of the orthodox.
5. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)