|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
2. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(a) Of faith.
(d) To a teacher.
3. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
4. Pagels makes a reader question: Is the Kingdom of God more truly __________________?
(a) Dark than light.
(b) Vague than concrete.
(c) Within than without.
(d) Something not to be understood.
5. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
(a) Ritual drink.
6. Justin speaks of a woman who was converted to Christianity by her teacher, ______________, and then she was a better person.
7. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
8. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
9. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
(b) Obedience to the clergy.
(c) Service atttendance.
(d) Holy water.
10. In what gospel does Jesus respond to Thomas' passionate request to learn how to get to the next level?
11. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
12. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
13. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
14. The Gnostic suffering is the result of ignorance of __________, of the God within everyone.
15. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phillip in his gospel laughs at the _________________ as a test of spiritual sufficiency, as people receive nothing from this.
2. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
3. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
4. The Christian's world was a world of daily _______________, of special masses and other community gatherings.
5. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)