|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
2. How did the soldier start the riot which caused so many deaths in the Temple's courtyard?
(a) Swearing and cursing.
(b) Exposing himself.
(c) Blaspheming Jesus.
(d) Ripping up the scriptures.
3. Justin speaks of a woman who was converted to Christianity by her teacher, ______________, and then she was a better person.
4. The Christan world, it could be said, was and continues to be one of __________ reality.
5. Peter distinguishes between the fleshly, suffering Christ and the living Christ, casting even more of a shadow on the idea of the ________________.
(c) Events at Gesethemene.
6. The orthodox Christian looks at _____________ as a consequence of disbelief and of sin.
7. The Roman Empire believed that the Christian followers saw their many pagan gods as _______________.
(a) Lesser beings.
8. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is exiled from the country.
(b) He is made a cardinal.
(c) He is put to death.
(d) He is made pope.
9. At one point, some monks were ordered to destroy _________ texts, along with other monastic brethren, though some were not.
10. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(b) Of faith.
(d) To a teacher.
11. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
12. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
13. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(a) Christian man.
(b) Christian woman.
(d) Disciple of Jesus.
14. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
15. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
2. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
3. The advice of Jesus to Thomas was attractive to the ____________ as it indicated there was only a strict and narrow path to Heaven.
4. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
5. __________ united Gnostic brethren together and that brotherhood was paramount, not the obedience to any clergy.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)