|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
2. The Roman Empire realized that Christianity was a sect which followed a man accused of ___________ and of magic.
3. What is another thing the many criteria did for the orthodox church? It consolidated ______________.
4. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(b) Of faith.
(c) To a teacher.
5. Both the Gnostics and the orthodox, according to Blake, see Jesus as a false __________ in the history of man.
6. When it came to discriminate as to the true Church, ______ pervaded even the sanctum of the orthodox.
7. The Christan world, it could be said, was and continues to be one of __________ reality.
8. Peter distinguishes between the fleshly, suffering Christ and the living Christ, casting even more of a shadow on the idea of the ________________.
(b) Events at Gesethemene.
9. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
(a) Service atttendance.
(c) Obedience to the clergy.
(d) Holy water.
10. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
11. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is made a cardinal.
(b) He is exiled from the country.
(c) He is put to death.
(d) He is made pope.
12. The structure of the Church remained in tact for many hundreds of years, surviving even the harsh winds of the _______________.
13. To the Gnostics, the definition of a true Christan was one that had spiritual ___________.
14. The idea that united Gnostics, according to Pagels, seems to be that the path to God lay _____________.
(a) In the Scrolls.
(b) Only in faith in the clergy.
(c) In the Bible.
(d) Within man's own mind.
15. To the Gnostics, the body of the orthodox church, the mass of _________ believers was outside of the true Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
2. It is said that at least the Christians had been called by God, unlike the pagans who could be excused for their ____________.
3. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
4. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
5. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)