|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(a) To a teacher.
(d) Of faith.
2. The Christian, as a result of learning about Gnosticism might ask what the true source of _____________ is in the Church.
3. How did the soldier start the riot which caused so many deaths in the Temple's courtyard?
(a) Blaspheming Jesus.
(b) Swearing and cursing.
(c) Exposing himself.
(d) Ripping up the scriptures.
4. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
5. To the Gnostics, the body of the orthodox church, the mass of _________ believers was outside of the true Church.
6. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
7. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
8. Who took a mediating position with the Christian Church, though they had internal problems as to how to view the orthodox?
(c) Church of Peter.
9. Ignatius placed the presence of the ____________ as the legitimizing force in administering the sacrament and in holding meetings.
10. Tertullian turned away from the ____________ movement, joining a Montanist movement that featured a new prophecy.
(d) Christian scientists.
11. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
12. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
13. The Valentinians who led normal lives still regarded ____________ as their primary goal, even as they gave up some worldly pleasures.
14. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
15. The orthodox church wanted to have more controversy in order to create ______________ to basic institutional and doctrinal elements.
Short Answer Questions
1. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
2. The Roman Empire believed that the Christian followers saw their many pagan gods as _______________.
3. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
4. The Valentinians also speak of the birth of _________ from her confusion, water from her terror, and air from her grief.
5. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)