|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Dostoevsky novel talks about Jesus being rejected by his own church within the story written?
(a) Crime and Punishment.
(b) The Christ of Pain.
(c) Brothers Karamazov.
(d) Uncle Vanya.
2. Tertullian later spoke of joining a spiritual church for spiritual people, not a church for ___________.
(b) The lost.
3. Pagels is quick to point out that this book is not an argument for _______________, but a call to learning more.
(c) A right answer.
4. A Gnostic author speaks of a baptism of _________ rather than a baptism of water.
5. _______ is the one who says that he sees Jesus glad and laughing when he is above the cross.
6. In the Gospel of Truth, there is a passage called the ____________ parable in which it's said that man acts as if he were sunk in sleep.
7. The laughing Jesus implies a separation between the physical and the spiritual Jesus and casts doubt on the traditional concept of the ________.
(d) Connection between Jesus and man.
8. In the Dialogue of the Savior, Jesus says that in order to get to Heaven, when you get to "the ________ where you can reach, stand there."
9. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
10. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
11. Justin also wrote about the bravery and dignity of ____________ when they were put under terrible torture conditions.
12. The orthodox interpret the crucifixion as a matter demanding extreme ______________, contrary to other accounts.
13. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
14. In the Gospel of Thomas, _________ speaks of a light within man that can light up the whole world.
15. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(a) Christian man.
(c) Disciple of Jesus.
(d) Christian woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
2. The vision of Jesus does not blink and it does not leave _____________ when it is moving in the world.
3. The orthodox victors preserved Christianity because of their emphasis on rigid ___________, rituals, and Church leaders.
4. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
5. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)