|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
2. In the Dialogue of the Savior, Jesus says that in order to get to Heaven, when you get to "the ________ where you can reach, stand there."
3. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
4. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
5. The orthodox Christian looks at _____________ as a consequence of disbelief and of sin.
6. __________ united Gnostic brethren together and that brotherhood was paramount, not the obedience to any clergy.
(a) God's laws.
(b) The Bible.
7. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
8. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
9. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
10. The advice of Jesus to Thomas was attractive to the ____________ as it indicated there was only a strict and narrow path to Heaven.
11. In the works of the philosopher, Nietzsche, he speaks of Jesus as being the only true _____________.
12. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
13. It is thought that perhaps some of the texts which were to be destroyed were buried in a _______ where they were later found.
14. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
15. When it came to discriminate as to the true Church, ______ pervaded even the sanctum of the orthodox.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Testimony of Truth talks about the ideas of ___________ and economic renunciation as components of a holy life.
2. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
3. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
4. Blake noted the differences between the Gnostics and the orthodox: "Both read the Bible day and night, But where thou read'st black where I see _________."
5. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)