|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostics were not only attacked by __________, but also by those who advanced the name of Christ.
2. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
3. Peter distinguishes between the fleshly, suffering Christ and the living Christ, casting even more of a shadow on the idea of the ________________.
(c) Events at Gesethemene.
4. After the death of Jesus, a ______________ soldier was the one who started the riot in the Temple, causing many deaths in the process.
5. Polycarb refused the __________________ and was burned alive because of his Christian beliefs.
(d) Ritual drink.
6. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
7. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
8. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
9. Pagels points out that it was not the orthodox church's agenda to eliminate all ____________ from the church.
10. What is NOT one of the things which made Christianity an easy reach for the masses of people?
(b) Holy water.
(c) Obedience to the clergy.
(d) Service atttendance.
11. The Valentians speak of ___________ giving birth to the world out of their own suffering.
12. The Gnostic focus was on ___________ which was thought to be psychological or emotional in nature.
13. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
14. Pagels wonders if true authority is only found when one takes a journey __________ on his own.
(a) Of faith.
(b) To a teacher.
15. The young Christian woman named Blandina was able to withstand tremendous pain and torture, eventually being killed by being tossed in a net and exposed to ____________.
(b) A bull.
(c) A lake.
(d) The elements.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Christan world, it could be said, was and continues to be one of __________ reality.
2. In what gospel does Jesus respond to Thomas' passionate request to learn how to get to the next level?
3. Who is sometimes seen as a child, sometimes as a handsome young man, others times as a balding man with a beard?
4. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
5. The Church of the Gnostics was confined to the __________, the experiencers of God generally speaking.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)