|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
(a) Their teachers.
(b) Their priests.
(c) Their gods.
(d) Their men.
2. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
3. Citizens were _____________ immediately, but those who were non-citizens were tortured in public stadiums.
4. It is the mixing of the _________________ with normal humanity that engenders the interpretation of the birth of Jesus.
5. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
(a) The resurrection.
(b) The Holy Trinity.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) The Apocalypse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
2. After the death of Jesus, a ______________ soldier was the one who started the riot in the Temple, causing many deaths in the process.
3. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
4. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
5. Most scholars will agree that Jesus was crucified by ________________ when he was sentenced to the cross.
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)