|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the candles when the lights go out?
2. What does Jim say is one of the sights in Chicago?
3. What did the brace on Laura's leg sound like in her mind?
4. What does Jim say he is going to treasure that Laura gave him?
5. Why does Laura tell her mother she can't answer the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that Tom couldn't leave Laura behind?
2. Describe Amanda's mannerisms and look when she enters the the room to talk to Jim and Tom in scene six.
3. What happens to Laura when she learns who it is that is coming to dinner with Tom?
4. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
5. What things does Tom say described what Jim was like and what he did in high school?
6. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
7. What does Jim tell Laura about being old-fashioned?
8. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
9. What does Amanda say about the supper that has been prepared?
10. Why does Amanda say that she is rejuvenated that night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance in the story of showing that Amanda goes to D.A.R. meetings? Amanda mentioned a position that she was getting when she happened to stop into Laura's college. What kind of position do you think she would have been inducted ?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)