|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim suggest to warm Laura up?
2. Who does Jim say was talking to him about Tom?
3. Why does Amanda tell Laura that Amanda won't answer the door when Tom gets home?
4. Why does Amanda say Tom is a total loss at?
5. What does Jim say about Candlelight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Amanda's mannerisms and look when she enters the the room to talk to Jim and Tom in scene six.
2. What does Amanda have Jim do while her and Tom are clearing the table and doing dishes?
3. When Amanda is getting Laura ready what does she say that Laura couldn't possibly be satisfied with?
4. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
5. What happens to Laura when she learns who it is that is coming to dinner with Tom?
6. Why did Laura go to all three of Jim's high school choir performances of The Pirates of Penzance?
7. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
8. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
9. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
10. Why does Amanda say that she is rejuvenated that night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the differences between Tom and Laura. What is it about their temperaments that have made them react so differently to Amanda? Do you think it is possible that she treats Laura and Tom differently? If so why and how?
Essay Topic 3
You are allowed to hear two phone calls that Amanda made while she was trying to sell the magazine subscriptions. What are you able to learn about her character listening to her end of the conversation? Do you think that she was successful in her attempts to sell the subscriptions? Why or why not?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)