|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim set under the candles to catch the drippings?
2. What reason does Tom give for Laura acting the way she does?
3. What does Amanda call the powder puffs she puts in Laura's dress at the bosom area?
4. What does Laura remember about her brace?
5. What month did Amanda say it was when she was picking flowers with her gentlemen callers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amanda do when the lights go off?
2. What does Amanda say about the supper that has been prepared?
3. What does Jim advise Laura to remember about getting to know people and being shy?
4. What is the significance of the flowers that Amanda comes in holding after she has changed into her dress?
5. What does Jim warn Tom about referring to the conversation with Mr. Mendoza?
6. Where does Amanda tell Tom to go when he announces he is leaving?
7. What does Jim try to convince Tom would be a good course for Tom at the college?
8. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
9. Why did Laura go to all three of Jim's high school choir performances of The Pirates of Penzance?
10. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance in the story of showing that Amanda goes to D.A.R. meetings? Amanda mentioned a position that she was getting when she happened to stop into Laura's college. What kind of position do you think she would have been inducted ?
Essay Topic 3
After Tom leaves the apartment he sees Amanda talking to Laura and Laura smiles at her mother. Do you think that Amanda was able to say anything to comfort Laura? What do you believe Amanda said given what we know of her nature?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)