|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symptoms did Amanda say she had while she was sick the spring she met her husband?
2. What kind of flowers is Amanda carrying when she enters the room?
3. When did Amanda tell Tom she gave him the light bill?
4. What did Amanda say she did when there was no more room for the flowers she had been picking?
5. What does Jim say he is going to treasure that Laura gave him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tom is telling Amanda that Jim is coming over she begins to question him about Jim and if he drinks. Amanda tells Jim that old maids are better off than wives of drunkards. Taking into consideration the time and place do you think that Amanda is right? What would have been the difference between the life of an old maid and the life of a drunkards wife?
Essay Topic 2
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
Essay Topic 3
What was the significance in the story of showing that Amanda goes to D.A.R. meetings? Amanda mentioned a position that she was getting when she happened to stop into Laura's college. What kind of position do you think she would have been inducted ?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)