|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class did Laura and Jim have together in high school?
2. What reason does Laura give for having cold hands?
3. Where does Jim sit down?
4. What does Amanda give Jim in addition to the candelabrum to take to Laura in the parlor?
5. What reason does Laura give for not coming to the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Amanda is getting Laura ready what does she say that Laura couldn't possibly be satisfied with?
2. What is the significance of the flowers that Amanda comes in holding after she has changed into her dress?
3. Why does Amanda say that she is rejuvenated that night?
4. What does Jim tell Laura about being old-fashioned?
5. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
6. Why does she tell Jim that he should look at the fuse box and not Tom?
7. What does Amanda have Jim do while her and Tom are clearing the table and doing dishes?
8. What happens to Laura when she learns who it is that is coming to dinner with Tom?
9. What do Jim and Amanda say about candlelight?
10. Why did Laura go to all three of Jim's high school choir performances of The Pirates of Penzance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that Jim felt anything for Laura? If so what did he do or say to make you think that he did? If not why do you think he kissed Laura?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think happened to Laura after Tom and Jim left the apartment? What do you think became of Amanda? What do you get from the play that leads you to these conclusions?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)