|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim claim to be when Amanda asks if he can carry both items to Laura in the parlor?
2. Which of the following was Jim not involved in during high school?
3. What does Jim tell Tom is the difference between them and the men in the office down front?
4. What does Jim say is one of the sights in Chicago?
5. What happened to the church where the Candelabrum came from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jim and Amanda say about candlelight?
2. What does Amanda say about the supper that has been prepared?
3. What does Amanda have Jim do while her and Tom are clearing the table and doing dishes?
4. Why did Laura go to all three of Jim's high school choir performances of The Pirates of Penzance?
5. What was it that made Jim and Tom friends at the warehouse?
6. Why does Amanda say that she is rejuvenated that night?
7. Where does Amanda tell Tom to go when he announces he is leaving?
8. Why does she tell Jim that he should look at the fuse box and not Tom?
9. What happens to Laura when she learns who it is that is coming to dinner with Tom?
10. What does Jim try to convince Tom would be a good course for Tom at the college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Tom describes the play as being dimly lighted, sentimental and not realistic with music to accompany everything that happens because it is a memory. Do you that these characteristics help to prove the fact that it is a memory? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Tom tells Amanda that they shouldn't expect to much from Laura. Do you think that Amanda expects to much from Jim's visit or that Tom expected to little? What does it tell us about Tom that he didn't tell Jim about his sister when he invited him over for dinner?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)