|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the song Amanda sings what is lemonade good enough for?
2. What surprising thing does Jim tell Laura after he has kissed her?
3. What happened to the church where the Candelabrum came from?
4. What class did Laura and Jim have together in high school?
5. Where does Jim set the Candelabrum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim explain to Amanda that Laura looks so serious?
2. What do Jim and Amanda say about candlelight?
3. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
4. What does Jim advise Laura to remember about getting to know people and being shy?
5. What is the significance of the flowers that Amanda comes in holding after she has changed into her dress?
6. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
7. Describe Amanda's mannerisms and look when she enters the the room to talk to Jim and Tom in scene six.
8. What does Amanda say about the supper that has been prepared?
9. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
10. What does Jim tell Laura about being old-fashioned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think happened to Laura after Tom and Jim left the apartment? What do you think became of Amanda? What do you get from the play that leads you to these conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the differences between Tom and Laura. What is it about their temperaments that have made them react so differently to Amanda? Do you think it is possible that she treats Laura and Tom differently? If so why and how?
Essay Topic 3
When Tom is telling Amanda that Jim is coming over she begins to question him about Jim and if he drinks. Amanda tells Jim that old maids are better off than wives of drunkards. Taking into consideration the time and place do you think that Amanda is right? What would have been the difference between the life of an old maid and the life of a drunkards wife?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)