|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim sit down?
2. What does Jim say he is going to treasure that Laura gave him?
3. What section of the news paper does Jim say he wants?
4. Where does Jim set the Candelabrum?
5. What refreshment does Amanda bring in to Laura and Jim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sights in Chicago does Jim talk about?
2. What does Jim try to convince Tom would be a good course for Tom at the college?
3. Where does Amanda tell Tom to go when he announces he is leaving?
4. Why does she tell Jim that he should look at the fuse box and not Tom?
5. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
6. Why does Jim explain to Amanda that Laura looks so serious?
7. Why does Amanda say that she is rejuvenated that night?
8. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
9. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
10. What does Jim stat might have happened to the light bill Amanda gave to Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Amanda was so quick to accuse Tom of knowing that Jim was engaged and inviting him over regardless? Do you think that she really believed that or was she just angry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jim kissed Laura and then explained that he was engaged. Do you think that this tarnishes his character? Does it make you think less of him than you did before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After Tom leaves the apartment he sees Amanda talking to Laura and Laura smiles at her mother. Do you think that Amanda was able to say anything to comfort Laura? What do you believe Amanda said given what we know of her nature?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)