|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bill did Tom not pay so that he could pay the dues for the Union of Merchant Seamen?
2. What is Amanda making the dressing to go with?
3. When did Amanda tell Tom she gave him the light bill?
4. Why does Laura tell her mother she can't answer the door?
5. What does Jim say is one of the sights in Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim tell Laura about being old-fashioned?
2. What sights in Chicago does Jim talk about?
3. What does Amanda have Jim do while her and Tom are clearing the table and doing dishes?
4. Why does she tell Jim that he should look at the fuse box and not Tom?
5. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
6. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
7. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
8. What does Jim stat might have happened to the light bill Amanda gave to Tom?
9. What was it that made Jim and Tom friends at the warehouse?
10. What does Laura say to Jim before he recognizes her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Tom leaves the apartment he sees Amanda talking to Laura and Laura smiles at her mother. Do you think that Amanda was able to say anything to comfort Laura? What do you believe Amanda said given what we know of her nature?
Essay Topic 2
You are allowed to hear two phone calls that Amanda made while she was trying to sell the magazine subscriptions. What are you able to learn about her character listening to her end of the conversation? Do you think that she was successful in her attempts to sell the subscriptions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)