|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Amanda dump into the refreshment?
2. What refreshment does Amanda bring in to Laura and Jim?
3. Who provides Amanda a match when the lights go out?
4. What name does Jim call Emily Meisenbach, the girl he dated in high school?
5. What did Jim call Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jim and Amanda say about candlelight?
2. What does Amanda do when the lights go off?
3. What does Jim tell Laura about being old-fashioned?
4. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
5. What is the significance of the flowers that Amanda comes in holding after she has changed into her dress?
6. What does Amanda say about the supper that has been prepared?
7. Why does Jim explain to Amanda that Laura looks so serious?
8. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
9. What happens to Laura when she learns who it is that is coming to dinner with Tom?
10. Why is it that Tom couldn't leave Laura behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Tom leaves the apartment he sees Amanda talking to Laura and Laura smiles at her mother. Do you think that Amanda was able to say anything to comfort Laura? What do you believe Amanda said given what we know of her nature?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
Essay Topic 3
Tom says that in high school Jim was a hero and names off all his accomplishments. Does Jim become a hero after visiting the Wingfield residence? What occurs to bring you to this conclusion?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)