|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim say was talking to him about Tom?
2. Where does Jim sit down?
3. What did Jim go to Chicago to see?
4. What does Amanda say has happened to make her ill?
5. Why does Amanda tell Laura she has to have the powder puff in her dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sights in Chicago does Jim talk about?
2. What is the significance of the flowers that Amanda comes in holding after she has changed into her dress?
3. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
4. When Amanda is getting Laura ready what does she say that Laura couldn't possibly be satisfied with?
5. What does Amanda have Jim do while her and Tom are clearing the table and doing dishes?
6. Why does Amanda say that she is rejuvenated that night?
7. What happens to Laura when she learns who it is that is coming to dinner with Tom?
8. What does Laura say to Jim before he recognizes her?
9. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
10. What do Jim and Amanda say about candlelight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Tom says that in high school Jim was a hero and names off all his accomplishments. Does Jim become a hero after visiting the Wingfield residence? What occurs to bring you to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 3
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)