|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom tell Jim he is planning?
2. As Tom steps out of the house where does Amanda tell him to go?
3. What did Jim call Tom?
4. What does Jim set under the candles to catch the drippings?
5. What does Jim say that Tom probably did with the light bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
2. Where does Amanda tell Tom to go when he announces he is leaving?
3. What does Amanda say about the supper that has been prepared?
4. Why does Jim explain to Amanda that Laura looks so serious?
5. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
6. What does Laura say to Jim before he recognizes her?
7. What does Jim tell Laura about being old-fashioned?
8. Describe Amanda's mannerisms and look when she enters the the room to talk to Jim and Tom in scene six.
9. Why is it that Tom couldn't leave Laura behind?
10. What does Amanda have Jim do while her and Tom are clearing the table and doing dishes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
Essay Topic 2
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
Essay Topic 3
Tom describes the play as being dimly lighted, sentimental and not realistic with music to accompany everything that happens because it is a memory. Do you that these characteristics help to prove the fact that it is a memory? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)