|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura have to let Tom and Jim in the house?
2. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
3. What does Tom compare the cities to?
4. What does Tom say he is tired of?
5. What does Tom say he is that he did not intend to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
2. Why is it that Tom couldn't leave Laura behind?
3. What does Jim tell Laura about being old-fashioned?
4. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
5. When Amanda is getting Laura ready what does she say that Laura couldn't possibly be satisfied with?
6. What was it that made Jim and Tom friends at the warehouse?
7. What does Amanda have Jim do while her and Tom are clearing the table and doing dishes?
8. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
9. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
10. What things does Tom say described what Jim was like and what he did in high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the differences between Tom and Laura. What is it about their temperaments that have made them react so differently to Amanda? Do you think it is possible that she treats Laura and Tom differently? If so why and how?
Essay Topic 3
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)