|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bill did Tom not pay so that he could pay the dues for the Union of Merchant Seamen?
2. Where does Amanda say that the Candelabrum came from?
3. What does Amanda hope Tom and Jim will get home before?
4. What reason does Laura give for having cold hands?
5. What kind of wine does Jim give Laura?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
2. Why does Jim explain to Amanda that Laura looks so serious?
3. What does Laura say to Jim before he recognizes her?
4. What does Jim warn Tom about referring to the conversation with Mr. Mendoza?
5. Why is it that Tom couldn't leave Laura behind?
6. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
7. What does Jim try to convince Tom would be a good course for Tom at the college?
8. What does Jim stat might have happened to the light bill Amanda gave to Tom?
9. What things does Tom say described what Jim was like and what he did in high school?
10. What is the significance of the flowers that Amanda comes in holding after she has changed into her dress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Amanda was so quick to accuse Tom of knowing that Jim was engaged and inviting him over regardless? Do you think that she really believed that or was she just angry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
Essay Topic 3
Tom describes the play as being dimly lighted, sentimental and not realistic with music to accompany everything that happens because it is a memory. Do you that these characteristics help to prove the fact that it is a memory? Why or why not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)