|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of flowers is Amanda carrying when she enters the room?
2. Why does Laura tell her mother she can't answer the door?
3. What does Jim say is one of the sights in Chicago?
4. What did Amanda dump into the refreshment?
5. What did the brace on Laura's leg sound like in her mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sights in Chicago does Jim talk about?
2. What happens to Laura when she learns who it is that is coming to dinner with Tom?
3. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
4. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
5. Where does Amanda tell Tom to go when he announces he is leaving?
6. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
7. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
8. What does Jim try to convince Tom would be a good course for Tom at the college?
9. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
10. What does Jim advise Laura to remember about getting to know people and being shy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the differences between Tom and Laura. What is it about their temperaments that have made them react so differently to Amanda? Do you think it is possible that she treats Laura and Tom differently? If so why and how?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that Jim felt anything for Laura? If so what did he do or say to make you think that he did? If not why do you think he kissed Laura?
Essay Topic 3
Jim kissed Laura and then explained that he was engaged. Do you think that this tarnishes his character? Does it make you think less of him than you did before? Why or why not?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)