|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say the world is lit by now?
2. When did Amanda tell Tom she gave him the light bill?
3. What course is Jim taking that he tries to convince Tom would be good for him?
4. What does Amanda tell Laura that all pretty girls are?
5. What does Amanda ask Jim to check when the lights go out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jim and Amanda say about candlelight?
2. What is the significance of the flowers that Amanda comes in holding after she has changed into her dress?
3. What does Jim stat might have happened to the light bill Amanda gave to Tom?
4. What does Jim warn Tom about referring to the conversation with Mr. Mendoza?
5. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
6. What does Amanda do when the lights go off?
7. What does Amanda say about the supper that has been prepared?
8. Why does Jim explain to Amanda that Laura looks so serious?
9. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
10. Why does she tell Jim that he should look at the fuse box and not Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would the family had been better off if Jim had not come to dinner? Would Tom have stayed longer even though he had already paid his dues to The Union of Merchant Seamen? What makes you think this?
Essay Topic 2
Jim breaks the unicorn in Amanda's glass collection. She says that it may be a blessing because now that one can fit in with the horses and won't be all alone. Do you think that this is a reflection of what Jim did to Amanda? Do you think that he has chipped away the part of her that kept her separate from the others like her? What makes you think that?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Jim felt anything for Laura? If so what did he do or say to make you think that he did? If not why do you think he kissed Laura?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)