|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda say she is doing when she spills the lemonade?
2. What types does Jim say that he and Tom are not?
3. What does Jim say is one of the sights in Chicago?
4. When does Jim say he and Betty are getting married?
5. Why does Amanda tell Laura that Amanda won't answer the door when Tom gets home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Laura go to all three of Jim's high school choir performances of The Pirates of Penzance?
2. What sights in Chicago does Jim talk about?
3. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
4. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
5. Where does Amanda tell Tom to go when he announces he is leaving?
6. What was it that made Jim and Tom friends at the warehouse?
7. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
8. What does Jim warn Tom about referring to the conversation with Mr. Mendoza?
9. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
10. What does Jim try to convince Tom would be a good course for Tom at the college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim breaks the unicorn in Amanda's glass collection. She says that it may be a blessing because now that one can fit in with the horses and won't be all alone. Do you think that this is a reflection of what Jim did to Amanda? Do you think that he has chipped away the part of her that kept her separate from the others like her? What makes you think that?
Essay Topic 2
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Jim felt anything for Laura? If so what did he do or say to make you think that he did? If not why do you think he kissed Laura?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)