Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first item that Tom drops when he gets to his door?
2. What does Amanda want Laura to do when she calls her from the kitchen?
3. When does Amanda's alarm clock go off?
4. What happens to the lit match that Tom drops on the floor?
5. What does Amanda do with Laura's typewriter keyboard diagram?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
2. Describe what Amanda wears to her D.A.R. meetings.
3. Why does she tell Jim that he should look at the fuse box and not Tom?
4. What was it that made Jim and Tom friends at the warehouse?
5. What does Jim warn Tom about referring to the conversation with Mr. Mendoza?
6. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
7. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
8. Amanda doesn't believe that Tom goes to the movies every night. What does she allude to that she believes Tom is doing?
9. Why do you think Tom apologizes to Amanda?
10. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
What was the significance in the story of showing that Amanda goes to D.A.R. meetings? Amanda mentioned a position that she was getting when she happened to stop into Laura's college. What kind of position do you think she would have been inducted ?
What do you think happened to Laura after Tom and Jim left the apartment? What do you think became of Amanda? What do you get from the play that leads you to these conclusions?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)