|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first item that Tom drops when he gets to his door?
2. What does Amanda want Laura to do when she calls her from the kitchen?
3. When does Amanda's alarm clock go off?
4. What happens to the lit match that Tom drops on the floor?
5. What does Amanda do with Laura's typewriter keyboard diagram?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
2. Describe what Amanda wears to her D.A.R. meetings.
3. Why does she tell Jim that he should look at the fuse box and not Tom?
4. What was it that made Jim and Tom friends at the warehouse?
5. What does Jim warn Tom about referring to the conversation with Mr. Mendoza?
6. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
7. What does Amanda tell Jim he has been good for?
8. Amanda doesn't believe that Tom goes to the movies every night. What does she allude to that she believes Tom is doing?
9. Why do you think Tom apologizes to Amanda?
10. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance in the story of showing that Amanda goes to D.A.R. meetings? Amanda mentioned a position that she was getting when she happened to stop into Laura's college. What kind of position do you think she would have been inducted ?
Essay Topic 2
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
Essay Topic 3
Jim breaks the unicorn in Amanda's glass collection. She says that it may be a blessing because now that one can fit in with the horses and won't be all alone. Do you think that this is a reflection of what Jim did to Amanda? Do you think that he has chipped away the part of her that kept her separate from the others like her? What makes you think that?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)