|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda not say has "just gone up the spout?"
2. What does Tom do with the scarf?
3. What is Laura doing when she hears her mother approaching?
4. As soon as Laura is out the door Tom and Amanda hear her cry out. Why does she cry out?
5. What is the magazine called that Amanda is gathering subscriptions for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amanda seem concerned about when she learns that Laura has dropped out of college?
2. What does Amanda tell Laura she needs to cultivate?
3. Describe the places where Laura visits while she was supposed to be in her college classes.
4. When and where does the story take place?
5. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
6. Amanda doesn't believe that Tom goes to the movies every night. What does she allude to that she believes Tom is doing?
7. What are some of the things Tom lists that he hates about the warehouse?
8. In what way does Amanda tell Tom she wouldn't mind him emulating his father?
9. What is the significance of Malvolio the Magician that Tom watches perform?
10. What does Tom warn Amanda about the gentleman caller that he has invited over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Would the family had been better off if Jim had not come to dinner? Would Tom have stayed longer even though he had already paid his dues to The Union of Merchant Seamen? What makes you think this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the differences between Tom and Laura. What is it about their temperaments that have made them react so differently to Amanda? Do you think it is possible that she treats Laura and Tom differently? If so why and how?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)