|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Tom that make it clear he has been drinking when he returns home?
2. Who is the boy that Laura states she liked once?
3. How does the conversation end between Amanda and Ida Scott regarding the magazine subscription?
4. What does Amanda say Bates Cutrere was carrying the night he died?
5. How does Amanda want Laura to pay Mr. Garfinkl at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim stick in Laura's mind so much when she only knew him in high school?
2. What does Amanda blame Laura's weakness on when she comes to the table and has to be taken to the couch?
3. What does Jim warn Tom about referring to the conversation with Mr. Mendoza?
4. What are the names Tom tells his mother that he is called at the opium dens?
5. Why is Jim on friendly terms with Tom at the warehouse and he feel that Tom is valuable to him?
6. What reasons does Tom give for them not expecting to much of Laura in regards to the gentleman caller?
7. What does Amanda tell Tom to wait on before he leaves for the merchant marines?
8. What are some of the things that Amanda wants Laura to do instead of clearing the table in scene one?
9. What is the significance of Malvolio the Magician that Tom watches perform?
10. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom describes the play as being dimly lighted, sentimental and not realistic with music to accompany everything that happens because it is a memory. Do you that these characteristics help to prove the fact that it is a memory? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jim kissed Laura and then explained that he was engaged. Do you think that this tarnishes his character? Does it make you think less of him than you did before? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,621 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)