|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amanda state she knows Tom isn't going to the movies?
2. Tom describes his mother as a woman of what?
3. What is it about Tom that make it clear he has been drinking when he returns home?
4. What happens when Tom takes the first sip of his hot coffee?
5. What does Amanda tell Tom she believes he has been doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom warn Amanda about the gentleman caller that he has invited over?
2. What reasons does Tom give for them not expecting to much of Laura in regards to the gentleman caller?
3. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
4. In what way does Amanda tell Tom she wouldn't mind him emulating his father?
5. Describe the places where Laura visits while she was supposed to be in her college classes.
6. Why do you think Tom apologizes to Amanda?
7. When and where does the story take place?
8. Why does Laura want Tom to apologize to Amanda?
9. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
10. What do Tom and Amanda wish for on the moon in scene five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Tom leaves the apartment he sees Amanda talking to Laura and Laura smiles at her mother. Do you think that Amanda was able to say anything to comfort Laura? What do you believe Amanda said given what we know of her nature?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think it is that Amanda try's to control her children the way that she does? Do you believe that she became this way after her husband left or that her behavior caused him to leave. What do you see in the play that makes you think that?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)