|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Amanda claims has made her a witch?
2. Amanda tells Tom he has a temperament like what?
3. Why did Amanda take Tom's novel back to the library?
4. When does Amanda tell Tom she will speak to him?
5. When Laura offers to clear the table what activities does Amanda suggest she go do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Tom give for them not expecting to much of Laura in regards to the gentleman caller?
2. What is the reason that Laura quit her college classes?
3. Where does Amanda tell Tom that most people get their adventure at?
4. What is the significance of Malvolio the Magician that Tom watches perform?
5. Describe what Amanda wears to her D.A.R. meetings.
6. Why does Jim stick in Laura's mind so much when she only knew him in high school?
7. When and where does the story take place?
8. What does Tom warn Amanda about the gentleman caller that he has invited over?
9. What are some of the things Tom lists that he hates about the warehouse?
10. What are some of the things that Amanda wants Laura to do instead of clearing the table in scene one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on what we know of the characters and the stories told about the father what kind of personality can you deduct that he may have had? Describe how you think the courting process went between Amanda and her husband. If you think it is contrary to Amanda's stories then explain why.
Essay Topic 2
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
Essay Topic 3
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)