|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first item that Tom drops when he gets to his door?
2. Tom explains that the last they heard from their father he sent them a postcard from somewhere near the Pacific coast of Mexico with no return address. What was written on the postcard?
3. What is it that Laura had that caused the nickname Blue Roses?
4. What does Amanda say Bates Cutrere was carrying the night he died?
5. What is it about Tom that make it clear he has been drinking when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amanda describe the majority of her suitors and what became of them?
2. When and where does the story take place?
3. What is the significance of Malvolio the Magician that Tom watches perform?
4. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
5. Why do you think Tom apologizes to Amanda?
6. What does Amanda tell Tom to wait on before he leaves for the merchant marines?
7. Why are some of the things Tom and Amanda fighting at the start of scene three?
8. Where does Amanda tell Tom that most people get their adventure at?
9. What is the reason that Laura quit her college classes?
10. Describe what Amanda wears to her D.A.R. meetings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
Essay Topic 2
Would the family had been better off if Jim had not come to dinner? Would Tom have stayed longer even though he had already paid his dues to The Union of Merchant Seamen? What makes you think this?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Jim felt anything for Laura? If so what did he do or say to make you think that he did? If not why do you think he kissed Laura?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)