|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill does Amanda claim to possess that allowed her to entertain her gentlemen caller?
2. What did the typing instructor say when Amanda asked about Laura's progress?
3. What meeting was Amanda supposed to have been at?
4. Why did Amanda take Tom's novel back to the library?
5. How does Laura describe Emily Meisenback's clothes in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
2. What does Jim remember about Laura from school as apposed to what she remembers.
3. How is the play conducted to show that it is a memory?
4. What does Amanda do when the lights go off?
5. How does Amanda describe the majority of her suitors and what became of them?
6. What does Tom tell Amanda that they are going to have the following night?
7. In what way does Amanda tell Tom she wouldn't mind him emulating his father?
8. What is the significance of Malvolio the Magician that Tom watches perform?
9. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
10. What are the names Tom tells his mother that he is called at the opium dens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Jim felt anything for Laura? If so what did he do or say to make you think that he did? If not why do you think he kissed Laura?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Jim would have kissed Laura if she had not remembered him from his high school years when he was so popular? Compare Amanda and Jim's characters.
Essay Topic 3
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)