|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda say Bates Cutrere was carrying the night he died?
2. What is the first item that Tom drops when he gets to his door?
3. Tom describes his mother as a woman of what?
4. What does Amanda use as her porch?
5. What does Amanda tell the children they have to do with their food that animals do not?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that Laura quit her college classes?
2. What reasons does Tom give for them not expecting to much of Laura in regards to the gentleman caller?
3. What is the significance of Malvolio the Magician that Tom watches perform?
4. What does Amanda ask Tom to do for Laura?
5. What does Amanda tell Tom he could afford if he would quit smoking?
6. What does Amanda seem concerned about when she learns that Laura has dropped out of college?
7. What are the names Tom tells his mother that he is called at the opium dens?
8. What does Tom tell Amanda that they are going to have the following night?
9. What does Tom warn Amanda about the gentleman caller that he has invited over?
10. Amanda doesn't believe that Tom goes to the movies every night. What does she allude to that she believes Tom is doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom says that in high school Jim was a hero and names off all his accomplishments. Does Jim become a hero after visiting the Wingfield residence? What occurs to bring you to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the differences between Tom and Laura. What is it about their temperaments that have made them react so differently to Amanda? Do you think it is possible that she treats Laura and Tom differently? If so why and how?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)