|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Amanda take Tom's novel back to the library?
2. What meeting was Amanda supposed to have been at?
3. What is Laura doing when she hears her mother approaching?
4. What happens when Tom takes the first sip of his hot coffee?
5. What does the instructor tell Amanda happened to Laura?
Short Essay Questions
1. Amanda doesn't believe that Tom goes to the movies every night. What does she allude to that she believes Tom is doing?
2. What does Amanda tell Tom to wait on before he leaves for the merchant marines?
3. Why do you think Tom apologizes to Amanda?
4. When and where does the story take place?
5. What reasons does Tom give for them not expecting to much of Laura in regards to the gentleman caller?
6. How is the play conducted to show that it is a memory?
7. What does Amanda tell Laura she needs to cultivate?
8. What do Tom and Amanda wish for on the moon in scene five?
9. What is Tom's role in the play?
10. What does Tom warn Amanda about the gentleman caller that he has invited over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
Essay Topic 2
Would the family had been better off if Jim had not come to dinner? Would Tom have stayed longer even though he had already paid his dues to The Union of Merchant Seamen? What makes you think this?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Jim would have kissed Laura if she had not remembered him from his high school years when he was so popular? Compare Amanda and Jim's characters.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)