|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the boy that Laura states she liked once?
2. What does Amanda say that Laura and Tom's father had plenty of?
3. What did the typing instructor say when Amanda asked about Laura's progress?
4. What is Laura's explanation for the lack of gentlemen callers?
5. What are the two reasons Amanda suggests would stop gentlemen callers from coming to see Laura that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim say when he realizes that Amanda is making long term plans for him being a caller on Laura?
2. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
3. What does Amanda do as soon as Jim has left the house?
4. What does Tom tell Jim about The Union of Merchant Seamen?
5. What sights in Chicago does Jim talk about?
6. What does Laura say to Jim before he recognizes her?
7. What do Jim and Amanda say about candlelight?
8. Describe Amanda's mannerisms and look when she enters the the room to talk to Jim and Tom in scene six.
9. What do Tom and Amanda wish for on the moon in scene five?
10. In what way does Amanda tell Tom she wouldn't mind him emulating his father?
Essay Topic 1
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
Essay Topic 3
Jim kissed Laura and then explained that he was engaged. Do you think that this tarnishes his character? Does it make you think less of him than you did before? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,584 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)