|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laura describe Emily Meisenback's clothes in high school?
2. What is Laura's explanation for the lack of gentlemen callers?
3. What does Amanda want Laura to do when she calls her from the kitchen?
4. How does Amanda want Laura to pay Mr. Garfinkl at the store?
5. Why does Tom state that he likes going to the movies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amanda seem concerned about when she learns that Laura has dropped out of college?
2. What are some of the things Tom lists that he hates about the warehouse?
3. In what way does Amanda tell Tom she wouldn't mind him emulating his father?
4. What is the reason that Laura quit her college classes?
5. What are the names Tom tells his mother that he is called at the opium dens?
6. What does Amanda tell Tom to wait on before he leaves for the merchant marines?
7. What does Amanda ask Tom to do for Laura?
8. Why does Laura want Tom to apologize to Amanda?
9. What do Tom and Amanda wish for on the moon in scene five?
10. Why does Jim stick in Laura's mind so much when she only knew him in high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Amanda was so quick to accuse Tom of knowing that Jim was engaged and inviting him over regardless? Do you think that she really believed that or was she just angry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Would the family had been better off if Jim had not come to dinner? Would Tom have stayed longer even though he had already paid his dues to The Union of Merchant Seamen? What makes you think this?
Essay Topic 3
With the father gone there is obvious strain on Tom who is forced to take the role as the main income of the house and remain a son at the same time. Do you believe that Amanda has had to sacrifice much? Given the era and the limited role women had do you believe that Amanda could have done more for her children? Why or why not?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)