|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amanda want Laura to stay fresh and pretty?
2. What happens to the lit match that Tom drops on the floor?
3. What is the magazine called that Amanda is gathering subscriptions for?
4. What happens when Tom takes the first sip of his hot coffee?
5. What does Amanda want Laura to do when she calls her from the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Tom give for them not expecting to much of Laura in regards to the gentleman caller?
2. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
3. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
4. Describe the places where Laura visits while she was supposed to be in her college classes.
5. How is the play conducted to show that it is a memory?
6. Why do you think Tom apologizes to Amanda?
7. What does Tom warn Amanda about the gentleman caller that he has invited over?
8. What does Tom tell Amanda that they are going to have the following night?
9. Why are some of the things Tom and Amanda fighting at the start of scene three?
10. What does Amanda tell Laura she needs to cultivate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom describes the play as being dimly lighted, sentimental and not realistic with music to accompany everything that happens because it is a memory. Do you that these characteristics help to prove the fact that it is a memory? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Would the family had been better off if Jim had not come to dinner? Would Tom have stayed longer even though he had already paid his dues to The Union of Merchant Seamen? What makes you think this?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)