|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Amanda say that a young lady would ask about a man's character to ensure he wasn't a drinker when she was younger?
2. What does Tom warn his mother that James doesn't know about?
3. What was it that he gave Tom as a souvenir?
4. What is wrong with the sleeves on Laura's coat?
5. What does Amanda say that Laura and Tom's father had plenty of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the play conducted to show that it is a memory?
2. What are some of the things Tom lists that he hates about the warehouse?
3. Why does Jim stick in Laura's mind so much when she only knew him in high school?
4. What is the significance of Malvolio the Magician that Tom watches perform?
5. What does Amanda tell Laura she needs to cultivate?
6. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
7. What is Tom's role in the play?
8. What does Tom warn Amanda about the gentleman caller that he has invited over?
9. What are some of the things that Amanda wants Laura to do instead of clearing the table in scene one?
10. Why are some of the things Tom and Amanda fighting at the start of scene three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tom is telling Amanda that Jim is coming over she begins to question him about Jim and if he drinks. Amanda tells Jim that old maids are better off than wives of drunkards. Taking into consideration the time and place do you think that Amanda is right? What would have been the difference between the life of an old maid and the life of a drunkards wife?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Amanda was so quick to accuse Tom of knowing that Jim was engaged and inviting him over regardless? Do you think that she really believed that or was she just angry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that Tom paid The Union of Merchant Seamen instead of the light bill shows us something about Tom. Do you think that it shows that Tom has had enough and feels like he has to leave or that he has become callous in not caring what happens to his mother and sister? What do you see about Tom that makes you believe this?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)