|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the instructor tell Amanda happened to Laura?
2. In her story how many gentlemen callers does Amanda tell her children she received in one night?
3. What does Amanda say that Laura and Tom's father had plenty of?
4. Tom said that there was a terrible fight between what two people?
5. What does Amanda do with Laura's typewriter keyboard diagram?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons are discussed for the lack of gentlemen callers that Laura will be receiving that evening in scene one?
2. Why does Laura want Tom to apologize to Amanda?
3. Describe what Amanda wears to her D.A.R. meetings.
4. What does Amanda seem concerned about when she learns that Laura has dropped out of college?
5. What does Tom tell Amanda that they are going to have the following night?
6. In what way does Amanda tell Tom she wouldn't mind him emulating his father?
7. What is Amanda worried will happen if Tom happens to leave?
8. What are the names Tom tells his mother that he is called at the opium dens?
9. Where does Amanda tell Tom that most people get their adventure at?
10. What is Tom's role in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are given a lot of background information about Jim from both Laura and Tom. What does it tell us about his nature to have all this information before we even meet the character? What does it tell you about Jim that he has roughly the same job as Tom after succeeding so well in high school?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Amanda was so quick to accuse Tom of knowing that Jim was engaged and inviting him over regardless? Do you think that she really believed that or was she just angry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Based on what we know of the characters and the stories told about the father what kind of personality can you deduct that he may have had? Describe how you think the courting process went between Amanda and her husband. If you think it is contrary to Amanda's stories then explain why.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)