|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Gladys first send to the orphanage?
(a) Mr. Lu.
(b) Lao Dah.
(c) Madame Chiang.
(d) Mrs. Ching.
2. When did Gladys take a position at a Methodist church to receive war refugees?
(a) After the war was over.
(b) Before preaching at the prison.
(c) As soon as she brought the children to Madame Chiang's.
(d) After she returned from England.
3. What group of people prayed for Gladys and the prisoners she was visiting?
(a) Other prisoners.
(b) A leper colony.
(c) A group of bandits.
(d) The lamas.
4. How many of the students gathered in the square renounced Christianity?
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
5. Where was Madame Chiang's orphanage located?
(a) Occupied China.
(c) Free China.
6. Why did Gladys take the children through the mountains on mule tracks?
(a) Gladys was given wrong directions.
(b) The mule tracks were well-maintained.
(c) That was the only route.
(d) The Japanese controlled the roads.
7. Where did Gladys hide the children as they passed through Japanese-held territory?
(b) Cattle cars.
(c) Military tanks.
(d) Coal cars.
8. In what position was Gladys able to travel to villages during the war?
(b) English citizen.
9. Why could Gladys not sleeping during the first night at the lamasery?
(a) Lamas came to her door asking to talk with her.
(b) She was too nervous to fall asleep.
(c) The noise of the lamas praying was too distracting.
(d) She was fasting and praying.
10. What did Gladys do to prepare for the Lord blessing her church?
(a) She called together a conference for the Christians in China.
(b) She fasted and prayed.
(c) She brought back her orphan children.
(d) She cleaned the church.
11. Approximately how many students were gathered into a central square and required to renounce Christianity?
(a) A thousand.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Two thousand.
12. From where did Gladys preach to the prisoners?
(a) A tower.
(b) A mound built for her.
(c) Behind the prison gate.
(d) A podium built for her.
13. After being bombed, the mule inn was used for which task?
(a) Housing livestock.
(c) Tending the wounded.
(d) Radio correspondence.
14. How were the results from the second test different than those from the first?
(a) More students were Christians.
(b) Fewer students were Christians.
(c) More students were anti-government.
(d) More students were in poverty.
15. What did Gladys find in a box left behind by a missionary?
(a) A stethoscope.
(b) A letter.
(c) A Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the lamas curious about?
2. Who told Gladys that a lama had met another missionary a few years earlier?
3. What did Gladys do to Mr. Shan?
4. What showed Gladys that the country of her birth had lost its way spiritually?
5. By Chapter 10, how many orphans had Gladys taken in?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)