|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What popular and ancient custom had been outlawed by government decree?
(a) Foot-binding of females.
(c) Taking of opium.
(d) Praying to Buddha.
2. On her journey to China, in which European city did Gladys spend the night with another young woman?
3. When did Mrs. Lawson die?
(a) After Mrs. Lawson returned to England.
(b) About a year after Gladys arrived.
(c) Ten years after Gladys arrived.
(d) Before Gladys arrived.
4. To which biblical character did Gladys most closely relate?
5. Who seemed to answer Gladys' complaint?
(b) A friend.
(c) An English mission society.
(d) The mandarin.
6. In Chapter 5, from which government official did Gladys receive a visit?
(a) The emperor.
(b) The king.
(c) The mandarin.
(d) The general.
7. Why was Mrs. Lawson's rent low?
(a) Her house was small.
(b) The locals thought her house was haunted.
(c) She paid using English money.
(d) The landlord was benevolent.
8. Why did Gladys first refuse to buy the child?
(a) She could not care for a child.
(b) She did not like children.
(c) She had no money.
(d) The child was attached to her mother.
9. Who took Gladys to Yangcheng?
(a) Mrs. Lawson.
(b) A young woman.
(c) Mr. Lu.
(d) The British consulate official.
10. What did Gladys' Chinese name mean?
(a) Small woman.
(b) Little woman.
(c) Virtuous woman.
(d) Story teller.
11. Who scolded Gladys for her recklessness?
(a) Russian soldiers.
(b) Japanese captain.
(c) British Consulate official.
(d) Mrs. Lawson.
12. From what did Mrs. Lawson die?
(a) Old age.
(b) Scarlet fever.
13. What ceased when Mrs. Lawson died?
(a) Mrs. Lawson's source of private income.
(b) Tension between the Chinese and the missionaries.
(c) Gladys's mission work.
(d) Peace among the Chinese.
14. In Chapter 8, what did the mandarin fail to see when speaking to Gladys?
(a) The need for foot-binding to end.
(b) The evils of human slave trade.
(c) How Christianity could change China.
(d) The impending war.
15. What hindered the train conductor from communicating with Gladys?
(a) The conductor forgot that she was on the train.
(b) Gladys was sleeping.
(c) The conductor refused to speak to a woman
(d) The conductor did not speak English.
Short Answer Questions
1. After several years in China, Gladys felt like a member of what?
2. What did Gladys name the first child she "bought"?
3. How long did it take Gladys to earn her fare to China?
4. What kind of reputation did the town have in which Gladys met Mrs. Ching?
5. When Gladys awoke one night during the convention, what did she suspect was happening?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)