|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took Gladys' passport from her in Vladivostok?
(a) Russian soldiers.
(b) A young woman.
(c) Japanese sailors.
(d) A Russian interpreter.
2. What did Gladys hear that caused her to exit the train?
(c) A train whistle.
(d) An avalanche.
3. Where did Gladys stay in Kobe, Japan?
(a) Missionary hall.
(c) Jail cell.
4. Into what did Mrs. Lawson and Gladys transform their home?
(a) An inn.
(b) A church.
(c) A store.
(d) A school.
5. With what did Gladys buy her first child?
(a) A mule.
(b) A pound.
(c) Some food.
(d) Approximately ninepence.
6. What was Gladys' Chinese name?
(a) Wen Ching.
(c) Chen Shu.
7. Who was given the job of grabbing the lead mules from the mule trail?
(a) Mrs. Lawson.
(b) The cook.
(c) Mr. Lu.
8. After Mrs. Lawson died, who was charged with carrying on her work?
(a) Mr. Lu.
(b) Mrs. Lawson's daughter.
(d) The cook.
9. What ceased when Mrs. Lawson died?
(a) Peace among the Chinese.
(b) Tension between the Chinese and the missionaries.
(c) Mrs. Lawson's source of private income.
(d) Gladys's mission work.
10. What did Gladys apply for in 1936?
(b) A teaching position.
(d) Chinese citizenship.
11. Why was the woman in Chapter 6 holding a child?
(a) She was selling the child.
(b) The child was ill.
(c) The child was her only daughter.
(d) She was moving.
12. By the end of Chapter 6, how many children had Gladys accumulated?
(a) About twenty.
(b) About fifteen.
13. How did Gladys free herself from the Russian soldiers who captured her on the gangway?
(a) She called for help.
(b) She bribed them with an English pound.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She bribed them with her fur coat.
14. What about Mrs. Lawson and Gladys amazed the Chinese?
(a) Their blond hair.
(b) Their large feet.
(c) Their tall stature.
(d) Their clothes.
15. Why did Mrs. Lawson greet Gladys without emotion?
(a) She was becoming senile with age.
(b) She was disappointed when she saw Gladys.
(c) That was her nature.
(d) That was the Chinese custom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gladys first prepare herself for China?
2. Why did Mrs. Lawson tell Gladys not to undress for bed?
3. Why did Gladys first refuse to buy the child?
4. Where did Gladys tend the wounded soldiers?
5. Why was Mrs. Lawson's rent low?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)