|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Mike and Cletus see to try and obtain sugar?
2. Where does Mike lose one of the bags of sugar he gets for Cletus?
3. What did everyone call Ben when he had a raleigh bike?
4. What did Margaret want to convert Ben to?
5. What is the name of the Emenike's baby nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time Gladys and Reginald meet?
2. Describe the argument between Martha and Mrs. Emenike?
3. How does Vera find about the poisonous ink?
4. Why does Ben regret sleeping with Mami Wota?
5. What does the story say about Cletus' character?
6. Why does Jonathan think he has been blessed?
7. How does Mike calm Cletus down in this section?
8. Why is Mrs. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
9. Why is Mr. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
10. How does Michael want to change the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vera's upbringing effect her decisions in the novel? How will Vera's upbringing effect her in the future? How can she change her situation?
Essay Topic 2
What war did Nigeria fight in the book? What effect did the war have in their country?
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean that Reginald is the only one who survives the bombing? What meaning would it give the story if he died? How will Gladys' death effect him?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)