|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Jonathan's bike been commandeered for?
2. What is Mami Wota the lady of?
3. Why does Ben think Margaret might be annoyed?
4. Which minister is the best at debating?
5. What sports did Ben play at his club?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
2. Why is Mr. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
3. Why are Mr. and Mrs. Emenike so impressed with Vera?
4. Why is Mrs. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
5. What is the nature of Mike and Cletus' relationship?
6. Why do the government suspend free primary education?
7. Why does Ben regret sleeping with Mami Wota?
8. What does Michael find out about the path he attempts to block?
9. How does Michael want to change the school?
10. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vera's upbringing effect her decisions in the novel? How will Vera's upbringing effect her in the future? How can she change her situation?
Essay Topic 2
How do the stories suggest colonialism effected Nigerians? What struggles do the stories suggest Nigeria had in the early post-colonial years? Choose one story and examine what it says about how Nigeria coped during these times.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)