|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message has been printed at the end of the receipt?
2. What kind of car does Mrs. Emenike own?
3. What is the name of Cletus' girlfriend?
4. What do girls call the new style of hair plait?
5. Why does Michael think it is a good thing that all the teachers will be young and unmarried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cletus lose his girlfriend in this story?
2. What is different about the narrative of Sugar Baby?
3. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
4. What happens the first time Gladys and Reginald meet?
5. Why does Ben regret sleeping with Mami Wota?
6. Why are Mr. and Mrs. Emenike so impressed with Vera?
7. How does Mr. Emenike initially prove a blessing for Vera?
8. Why is Mrs. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
9. How did Father Doherty react when Mike and Cletus asked him for sugar?
10. Describe the argument between Martha and Mrs. Emenike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author suggests stops Nigeria from becoming the modern day country they seem capable of becoming? Why are so many people against Nigeria moving with the times?
Essay Topic 2
What does the stories in the book state about post colonial Nigeria? How much do the students think these problems can be attributed to colonialism?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)