|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does the inspector use to describe the situation that develops between the school and the village?
2. Why did Cletus get mad at his girlfriend?
3. Who do Mike and Cletus see to try and obtain sugar?
4. What did Vero force Goddy to drink?
5. What sports did Ben play at his club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jonathan think he has been blessed?
2. Why is Mrs. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
3. Why do the government suspend free primary education?
4. How does Michael want to change the school?
5. How does Vera find about the poisonous ink?
6. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
7. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
8. What is different about the narrative of Sugar Baby?
9. How does Mike calm Cletus down in this section?
10. What does the story say about Cletus' character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the stories suggest colonialism effected Nigerians? What struggles do the stories suggest Nigeria had in the early post-colonial years? Choose one story and examine what it says about how Nigeria coped during these times.
Essay Topic 2
What role does spirituality play in all of the stories? How does spirituality effect the characters lives and the decisions they make? What conflict does traditional spirituality have with Christianity?
Essay Topic 3
What does the stories in the book state about post colonial Nigeria? How much do the students think these problems can be attributed to colonialism?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)