|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret want to convert Ben to?
2. Whose point of view is the story in this section told from?
3. Why does the author say Julius is unafraid of walking home and who he might meet?
4. What does Cletus crave?
5. What had Jonathan's bike been commandeered for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time Gladys and Reginald meet?
2. What is different about the narrative of Sugar Baby?
3. Why does Ben regret sleeping with Mami Wota?
4. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
5. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
6. How does Vera find about the poisonous ink?
7. How did Father Doherty react when Mike and Cletus asked him for sugar?
8. Why do the government suspend free primary education?
9. How does Cletus lose his girlfriend in this story?
10. Why is Mr. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Achebe chosen to tell the story from Mike's point of view? How would the story change if it was told from the Cletus's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the author suggest money plays in Nigerian life? What problems is money causing within Nigerian society?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author suggests stops Nigeria from becoming the modern day country they seem capable of becoming? Why are so many people against Nigeria moving with the times?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)