|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Mrs. Emenike hate to hear?
2. What is the name of the Emenike's baby nurse?
3. What did Ben's father used to say was the cure for drink?
4. Whose house did Ben run to?
5. What are Goddy's favorite words?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about the narrative of Sugar Baby?
2. What does the story say about Cletus' character?
3. How did Father Doherty react when Mike and Cletus asked him for sugar?
4. Why are Mr. and Mrs. Emenike so impressed with Vera?
5. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
6. How does Vera find about the poisonous ink?
7. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
8. Describe the argument between Martha and Mrs. Emenike?
9. Why is Mr. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
10. How does Mr. Emenike initially prove a blessing for Vera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the stories suggest colonialism effected Nigerians? What struggles do the stories suggest Nigeria had in the early post-colonial years? Choose one story and examine what it says about how Nigeria coped during these times.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the author suggest money plays in Nigerian life? What problems is money causing within Nigerian society?
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe traditional Nigerian life? How does traditional Nigerian life compare to life in the west? How have the ideas Westerners have brought into Nigeria effected the country?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)