|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Mrs. Emenike hate to hear?
2. What did Ben's father used to say was the cure for drink?
3. What is the name of the Emenike's baby nurse?
4. What is the name of Cletus' girlfriend?
5. Which country owns Sao Tome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ben regret sleeping with Mami Wota?
2. How did Cletus eventually get his sugar fix?
3. How does Jonathan take advantage of his blessings?
4. What is the nature of Mike and Cletus' relationship?
5. Describe the argument between Martha and Mrs. Emenike?
6. Why do the government suspend free primary education?
7. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
8. Why is Mr. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
9. What does the story say about Cletus' character?
10. In what way does Ben show great self control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe traditional Nigerian life? How does traditional Nigerian life compare to life in the west? How have the ideas Westerners have brought into Nigeria effected the country?
Essay Topic 2
How do the stories suggest colonialism effected Nigerians? What struggles do the stories suggest Nigeria had in the early post-colonial years? Choose one story and examine what it says about how Nigeria coped during these times.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)