|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben think Margaret might be annoyed?
2. What words does Mrs. Emenike hate to hear?
3. Who do Mike and Cletus see to try and obtain sugar?
4. Whose point of view is the story in this section told from?
5. What was the name of the magazine that wrote an editorial praising the Prime minister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Mr. and Mrs. Emenike so impressed with Vera?
2. What happens the first time Gladys and Reginald meet?
3. Why does Jonathan think he has been blessed?
4. How does Jonathan take advantage of his blessings?
5. How did Father Doherty react when Mike and Cletus asked him for sugar?
6. In what way does Ben show great self control?
7. Why does Ben regret sleeping with Mami Wota?
8. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
9. Describe the argument between Martha and Mrs. Emenike?
10. How did Cletus eventually get his sugar fix?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does spirituality play in all of the stories? How does spirituality effect the characters lives and the decisions they make? What conflict does traditional spirituality have with Christianity?
Essay Topic 2
1. What are the differences between the rich and the poor in the book?
2. What your views on the following statement. Some of the people's bad behavior can be excused because of the desperate situation they find themselves in.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the stories and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)