|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business does Jonathan open?
2. What is the name of the island Mike travels to?
3. What is the title of the story in this section?
4. What does Jonathan use his bicycle for?
5. What does Reginald intellectually approve of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument between Martha and Mrs. Emenike?
2. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
3. Why is Mr. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
4. What does Michael find out about the path he attempts to block?
5. Why do the government suspend free primary education?
6. Why does Jonathan think he has been blessed?
7. How does Cletus lose his girlfriend in this story?
8. How does Michael want to change the school?
9. What happens the first time Gladys and Reginald meet?
10. How does Jonathan take advantage of his blessings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What picture do the stories paint of everyday Nigerian life? What was the typical family like? What do they do during both the day and the night? Imagine you are a Nigerian growing up in these times and write a typical day in your life.
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean that Reginald is the only one who survives the bombing? What meaning would it give the story if he died? How will Gladys' death effect him?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)