|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vero force Goddy to drink?
2. What did Ben fear the woman in his village put in their food when they cooked for the men?
3. What does Vero make up a song about?
4. What is the title of the story in this section?
5. What does the cashier give Mrs. Emenike that's a foot long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michael find out about the path he attempts to block?
2. How does Cletus lose his girlfriend in this story?
3. How does Vera find about the poisonous ink?
4. How did Father Doherty react when Mike and Cletus asked him for sugar?
5. Why do the government suspend free primary education?
6. What happens the first time Gladys and Reginald meet?
7. How did Cletus eventually get his sugar fix?
8. Describe the argument between Martha and Mrs. Emenike?
9. How does Mike calm Cletus down in this section?
10. In what way does Ben show great self control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the stories suggest colonialism effected Nigerians? What struggles do the stories suggest Nigeria had in the early post-colonial years? Choose one story and examine what it says about how Nigeria coped during these times.
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe traditional Nigerian life? How does traditional Nigerian life compare to life in the west? How have the ideas Westerners have brought into Nigeria effected the country?
Essay Topic 3
1. What are the differences between the rich and the poor in the book?
2. What your views on the following statement. Some of the people's bad behavior can be excused because of the desperate situation they find themselves in.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)