|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sports did Ben play at his club?
2. What does Julius step on?
3. What does Jonathan Iwegbu call his luck?
4. What is the name of the island Mike travels to?
5. What are Goddy's favorite words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
2. In what way does Ben show great self control?
3. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
4. How does Michael want to change the school?
5. Why is Mr. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
6. How does Jonathan take advantage of his blessings?
7. How does Mike calm Cletus down in this section?
8. How does Michael's wife help him out at his new school?
9. Why is Mrs. Emenike angry at the new socialism in Nigeria?
10. Why are Mr. and Mrs. Emenike so impressed with Vera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare African and western culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe traditional Nigerian life? How does traditional Nigerian life compare to life in the west? How have the ideas Westerners have brought into Nigeria effected the country?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)