|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Martha's husband do for a living?
2. What is the name of the island Mike travels to?
3. Whose point of view is the story in this section told from?
4. What had Jonathan's bike been commandeered for?
5. Why did Cletus get mad at his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cletus lose his girlfriend in this story?
2. How do Mr. and Mrs. Emneike react when they hear Vera has tried to poison their child?
3. What is the nature of Mike and Cletus' relationship?
4. Why does Ben regret sleeping with Mami Wota?
5. What does the story say about Cletus' character?
6. How does Michael want to change the school?
7. Why does Jonathan think he has been blessed?
8. Why does Martha decide against punishing Vera?
9. How did Father Doherty react when Mike and Cletus asked him for sugar?
10. How does Michael's wife help him out at his new school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Achebe chosen to tell the story from Mike's point of view? How would the story change if it was told from the Cletus's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What does the stories in the book state about post colonial Nigeria? How much do the students think these problems can be attributed to colonialism?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)