|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ben think Margaret might be annoyed?
(a) He wrote her a nasty message.
(b) He forgot to phone her.
(c) He bought her the wrong toaster.
(d) He refused to take her to the club.
2. What does Michael's wife imagine herself as?
(a) Princess of the town.
(b) Queen of the school.
(c) The school's nurse.
(d) The schoool's social worker.
3. What is the title of the story in this section?
(a) The Vengeful Creditor.
(b) The Sacrificial Egg.
(c) The School Master.
(d) Girls at War.
4. What does Cletus crave?
5. What did Ben fear the woman in his village put in their food when they cooked for the men?
(c) Hate medicine.
(d) Love medicine.
6. Whose point of view is the story in this section told from?
(c) Father Doherty's.
7. Where did Reginald and Gladys meet the first time they met?
(a) An enlistment center.
(b) A bordello.
(c) A tennis club.
(d) A social club.
8. What did Ben's father say a true son knows how to do?
(a) Look after his children.
(b) Sleep and keep one eye open.
(c) Stay awake until everyone falls asleep.
(d) Look after his women.
9. How does Matthew calm Ben down?
(a) He slaps him.
(b) He screams in his ear.
(c) He pours cold water onto him.
(d) He gives him brandy.
10. What does Ben say he fell into his iron bed like?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A log.
11. Who do Mike and Cletus see to try and obtain sugar?
(a) Father Peters.
(b) General Kanu.
(c) Colonel Wren.
(d) Father Doherty.
12. What words does Mrs. Emenike hate to hear?
(a) Working people.
(c) Community spirit.
(d) Free primary.
13. What is the name of the child Vero look after?
14. Why are there no boys to take Mrs. Emenike's shopping?
(a) They have all emigrated.
(b) They have all been draughted into the army.
(c) They are all taking advantage of free education.
(d) They are all on a training day.
15. What does Mrs. Emenike say Vero did not learn in her house?
(b) Ill discipline.
(d) Bad taste.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben say he doesn't believe in?
2. What phrase does the inspector use to describe the situation that develops between the school and the village?
3. Who does Ben describe as a salt-water girl?
4. What do the Umuru women do before one can count A?
5. Why did Cletus get mad at his girlfriend?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)