|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ben describe as a salt-water girl?
2. What did Ben fear the woman in his village put in their food when they cooked for the men?
(a) Hate medicine.
(c) Love medicine.
3. What does Jonathan buy with the family earnings?
(b) A house.
(d) Palm wine.
4. Why are there no boys to take Mrs. Emenike's shopping?
(a) They have all been draughted into the army.
(b) They are all on a training day.
(c) They are all taking advantage of free education.
(d) They have all emigrated.
5. What did everyone call Ben when he had a raleigh bike?
(a) Biker Ben.
(b) Taxi Beni.
(c) Jolly Ben.
(d) Beetroot Ben.
6. What is the name of the island Mike travels to?
(a) Zoot Island.
(b) The Isle of Dogs.
(c) Sao Tome.
(d) Penny Island.
7. What does Michael recommend the old priest do?
(a) Contact his lawyers.
(b) Find a new religion.
(c) Construct another path.
(d) Bury his ancestors deeper in the ground.
8. What does Reginald intellectually approve of?
(a) Cavity searches.
(b) Road blocks.
(c) X-ray searches.
(d) Bank jobs.
9. What had Jonathan's bike been commandeered for?
(b) A white man's gift.
(c) Military action.
(d) Taxi service.
10. What does the cashier give Mrs. Emenike that's a foot long?
(a) A knife.
(b) A stick.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A receipt.
11. Where does Mike lose one of the bags of sugar he gets for Cletus?
(a) A restaurant.
(c) The airplane.
(d) A bar.
12. What did Ben's father say a true son knows how to do?
(a) Look after his women.
(b) Stay awake until everyone falls asleep.
(c) Look after his children.
(d) Sleep and keep one eye open.
13. What does Mr. Menike say Americans can't afford back home?
14. Why did Cletus get mad at his girlfriend?
(a) She gave sugar to her dog.
(b) She cursed him.
(c) She dropped the sugar on the floor.
(d) She took a handful of sugar.
15. Why did the government have to stop the free education system?
(a) They feared going bankrupt.
(b) They needed boys for the army.
(c) Not enough people were going to school.
(d) The country had declared war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michael think it is a good thing that all the teachers will be young and unmarried?
2. What did Martha's husband do for a living?
3. What does Mr. Emenike say Mike is scared of?
4. What was Jonathan's job at the Coal Corporation?
5. What does Jonathan use his bicycle for?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)