|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Trisha accidentally put her hand on?
2. After Trisha is poked in the back with a branch, she thinks to herself that at least it wasn't what item?
3. Which team beats the Red Sox, causing an ill Trisha to cry herself to sleep?
4. What book does Trisha recall in which animals are kindly?
5. How long does Trisha stay latched onto the ash tree the second time she holds onto it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trisha refuse to drink from the stream at first?
2. How does Larry feel about Tom Gordon?
3. Why do the police begin to look for a man named Mazzerole?
4. Describe what Trisha sees when the first stream she follows narrows?
5. Describe Trisha's vision of herself dying.
6. Why do Quilla and Pete fight so much?
7. What is Trisha's plan for getting back on track when she first gets lost?
8. What does Trisha think about the trail when she walks it with her family?
9. What does Trisha hear on the news when she first turns her radio on?
10. Describe the "thing" that the voice in Trisha's head warns her about.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore King's use of baseball as a metaphor for Trisha's journey. Choose three examples of how he forms this metaphor and describe them. Why do you think he structures his novel this way? What purpose does the metaphor serve?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the minor characters Jerry Trupiano and Joe Castiglione, How are they significant to Trisha and to the novel as a whole? What is the relevance of the dream Trisha has about them after her Walkman batteries die?
Essay Topic 3
Given Trisha's struggle to find God, what do you think King is saying about believing in God? Does he seem to be promoting it? Use examples from the text to support your claim.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)