|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of berries does Trisha find?
2. What month is it when the novel begins?
3. How long ago did Quilla teach Trisha the trick to using the restroom outdoors?
4. What does Trisha trip on?
5. What book does Trisha think to herself that she could be at home reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Larry feel about Tom Gordon?
2. Why does Trisha become optimistic about the day that she and her family go on a hike?
3. Why do Quilla and Pete fight so much?
4. Why does Trisha faint at the end of Chapter 4?
5. How does Trisha end up at the edge of a cliff?
6. How does Trisha plan to remember her way back to the fallen tree?
7. How do Quilla and Larry act when they reunite in the hotel room?
8. What does Trisha think her mom will do when she realizes she's missing?
9. What is Trisha's plan for getting back on track when she first gets lost?
10. Describe what Trisha sees when the first stream she follows narrows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on what was seen of Trisha's situation when she wakes up in the hospital, what do you think will happen next with her family? Use examples from the text to support your ideas. Why do you think King leaves the state of the family up for interpretation?
Essay Topic 2
Dreams and hallucinations are used throughout the novel. What purpose do they serve? Why is it important that Trisha often does not know if something is real or imaginary?
Essay Topic 3
Explore King's use of baseball as a metaphor for Trisha's journey. Choose three examples of how he forms this metaphor and describe them. Why do you think he structures his novel this way? What purpose does the metaphor serve?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)