|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gimpel describe the person who brings food to Elka?
2. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
3. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
4. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
5. While appearing to Gimpel in a dream, what does this dream person say to Gimpel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and explore Gimpel's role as an outcast. Is he or is he not? Choose a side and argue for or against.
Essay Topic 2
The story of "Gimpel the Fool" is largely effective due to its use of first person narrative. Define first person narrative and discuss why it works particularly well with this story. Also, consider the use of first person narrative in Gimpel the Fool and how would the story be different if :
Part A) The first person narrative was not Gimpel's voice.
Part B) The story was written in the third person.
Essay Topic 3
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)