|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passed before the rabbis could come to a decision regarding Gimpel's situation?
2. What does Gimpel do after Elka's death?
3. After Elka's death, who appears to Gimpel while he is sleeping?
4. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
5. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and describe the appearance and roles of social class issues within the text. How do they affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss Singer's use of symbolism throughout the text. How is it effective in enriching the story?
This section contains 161 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)