|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
2. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
3. Why does Elka make her deathbed confession?
4. What is wrong with Elka when she becomes ill?
5. What does Gimpel do after Elka's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Define and explain the concept of The Wise Fool, and explain Gimpel as such.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of faith and mysticism versus free thought and doubt, and how they are relevant within the story. Be sure to use examples from the text.
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)