|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
2. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
3. How much time passed before the rabbis could come to a decision regarding Gimpel's situation?
4. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
5. After disposing of his vengence, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the word "martyr" and discuss why or why not Gimpel fits this description.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concept of forgiveness as it is used within the text. Who forgives, and why? What are the benefits of forgiveness? The drawbacks? Is forgiveness foolish? Or wise?
Essay Topic 3
The story of "Gimpel the Fool" is largely effective due to its use of first person narrative. Define first person narrative and discuss why it works particularly well with this story. Also, consider the use of first person narrative in Gimpel the Fool and how would the story be different if :
Part A) The first person narrative was not Gimpel's voice.
Part B) The story was written in the third person.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)