|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gimpel tell Elka on her deathbed?
2. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
3. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
4. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
5. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 2
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)