|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
2. After Gimpel and Elka's separation, why does Gimpel not want a scandal?
3. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
4. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
5. What ultimately happens to Elka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
Essay Topic 2Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author. Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer. Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 3Gimpel displays a great deal of compassion throughout the story while evoking the same emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss Singer's use of compassion to relay the story. How does the first person narrative aid in this?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)