|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
2. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
3. After disposing of his vengence, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
4. How does Gimpel survive after leaving Frampol?
5. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of "Gimpel the Fool" is largely effective due to its use of first person narrative. Define first person narrative and discuss why it works particularly well with this story. Also, consider the use of first person narrative in Gimpel the Fool and how would the story be different if :
Part A) The first person narrative was not Gimpel's voice.
Part B) The story was written in the third person.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
Essay Topic 3
Singer uses foreshadowing in the very beginning when Gimpel states that he does not consider himself a fool. Discuss foreshadowing as a literary tool and Singer's use of it within the text.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)