|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
2. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask Gimpel to do?
3. On the night of Gimpel's return after a lengthy separation, what does Elka's "brother" do to Gimpel?
4. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
5. Who is Gimpel told he owes thanks to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concept of forgiveness as it is used within the text. Who forgives, and why? What are the benefits of forgiveness? The drawbacks? Is forgiveness foolish? Or wise?
Essay Topic 3
Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)