|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
2. What did the person do that Gimpel owes thanks to?
3. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
4. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
5. Initially, what does Gimpel want to do to the Spirit of Evil?
Essay Topic 1
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 2
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of faith and mysticism versus free thought and doubt, and how they are relevant within the story. Be sure to use examples from the text.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)