|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
2. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
3. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
4. On the night of Gimpel's return after a lengthy separation, what does Elka's "brother" do to Gimpel?
5. After leaving Frampol, who does Gimpel see when he dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gimpel displays a great deal of compassion throughout the story while evoking the same emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss Singer's use of compassion to relay the story. How does the first person narrative aid in this?
Essay Topic 2
Define the word "martyr" and discuss why or why not Gimpel fits this description.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss Singer's use of symbolism throughout the text. How is it effective in enriching the story?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)