|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
2. What does the rabbi tell Gimpel he can do regarding his marriage?
3. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
4. After her death, who does Elka think she has fooled?
5. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of "Gimpel the Fool" is largely effective due to its use of first person narrative. Define first person narrative and discuss why it works particularly well with this story. Also, consider the use of first person narrative in Gimpel the Fool and how would the story be different if :
Part A) The first person narrative was not Gimpel's voice.
Part B) The story was written in the third person.
Essay Topic 2
Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
Essay Topic 3
Explain and explore Gimpel's role as an outcast. Is he or is he not? Choose a side and argue for or against.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)