|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
2. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
3. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
4. At the end of the story, what does Gimpel say about the world we live in?
5. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
Essay Topic 3
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)