|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
2. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
3. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
4. What is Gimpel resolved to do while he is separated from Elka?
5. After taking steps toward revenge, what does the second dream person tell Gimpel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the word "martyr" and discuss why or why not Gimpel fits this description.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
Essay Topic 3
"Gimpel the Fool" questions the definition of truth. Compare and contrast what is true to the townspeople and what is true to Gimpel. Which version is actually true? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)