|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gimpel believe he cannot be deceived?
2. After Gimpel reiterates what he saw in his bed when he returned home after their separation, what does Elka do?
3. What ultimately happens to Elka?
4. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
5. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
Essay Topic 3
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)