|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the night of Gimpel's return after a lengthy separation, what does Elka's "brother" do to Gimpel?
2. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
3. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
4. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
5. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
Essay Topic 2
Define and explain the concept of The Wise Fool, and explain Gimpel as such.
Essay Topic 3
"Gimpel the Fool" questions the definition of truth. Compare and contrast what is true to the townspeople and what is true to Gimpel. Which version is actually true? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)