|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While appearing to Gimpel in a dream, what does this dream person say to Gimpel?
2. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
3. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
4. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask Gimpel to do?
5. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and explore Gimpel's role as an outcast. Is he or is he not? Choose a side and argue for or against.
Essay Topic 2
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 3
The story of "Gimpel the Fool" is largely effective due to its use of first person narrative. Define first person narrative and discuss why it works particularly well with this story. Also, consider the use of first person narrative in Gimpel the Fool and how would the story be different if :
Part A) The first person narrative was not Gimpel's voice.
Part B) The story was written in the third person.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)