|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
2. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
3. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
4. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
5. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concept of judgment within the text.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)