|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
2. By the time he is older, how has Gimpel's career progressed?
3. How long does Gimpel live with Elka?
4. What ultimately happens to Elka?
5. If Gimpel follows the advice given to him by the dream person, what does he fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and explain the concept of The Wise Fool, and explain Gimpel as such.
Essay Topic 2
Gimpel displays a great deal of compassion throughout the story while evoking the same emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss Singer's use of compassion to relay the story. How does the first person narrative aid in this?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)