|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
2. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
3. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
4. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
5. What does the Rabbi's daughter make Gimpel do?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the first childbirth, how does Gimpel feel about Elka and what does he do for her?
2. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
3. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
4. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
5. Describe the setting of Gimpel the Fool.
6. What do the children of the world call Gimpel and ask him to do?
7. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
8. How has Gimpel's career progressed over time?
9. Who is Gimpel the Fool?
10. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" can be classified under several genres. Pick three, and, with supporting evidence from the text, discuss how the story could be classified under each genre.
Essay Topic 2
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 3
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)