|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
2. What does Elka want before agreeing to marry Gimpel?
3. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
4. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
5. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What eventually happens to Elka and what does Gimpel do for her?
2. Paraphrase the advice given to Gimpel by the rabbi.
3. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol, and who takes care of him?
4. At the end of the story, what mementos does Gimpel awaken with after dreaming?
5. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
6. What happens four months after the wedding and how does Gimpel react?
7. What does the Spirit of Evil say about God and the afterlife?
8. What is Gimpel's living situation as a child?
9. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
10. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Frampol is a historically significant town that is also the setting for "Gimpel the Fool". Discuss why Singer chose this location for his story, its specific historical significance, and its contribution to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)