|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
3. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
4. After rationalizing Elka's behavior, what does Gimpel begin to agree with Elka on?
5. How does Gimpel begin to forget his sorrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Gimpel tells Elka on her deathbed that she has been a good wife, what does Elka confess?
2. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
3. Describe Gimpel and Elka's home life.
4. What does Gimpel ask of Elka when he first visits her at her house?
5. After months of separation, what is the first thing Elka asks Gimpel to do when she sees him, and why?
6. How does Gimpel feel about the pranks that are pulled on him?
7. After righting his revenge plot, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
8. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
9. What does Gimpel feel and do for the baby?
10. Where are Gimpel and Elka married, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and describe the appearance and roles of social class issues within the text. How do they affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concept of forgiveness as it is used within the text. Who forgives, and why? What are the benefits of forgiveness? The drawbacks? Is forgiveness foolish? Or wise?
Essay Topic 3
Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)