|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
2. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
3. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
4. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
5. When people glare at the child, what does Gimpel do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
2. What does Gimpel think when he sees the baby crib?
3. Describe the messenger that Gimpel uses to send his family supplies during his separation from his family.
4. What does Gimpel ask of Elka when he first visits her at her house?
5. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
6. How long is Gimpel with Elka and how is their life?
7. What does Gimpel see and hear at his house in Chapter 2, when he comes home early from the bakery?
8. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
9. Where are Gimpel and Elka married, and why?
10. At the end of the story, what mementos does Gimpel awaken with after dreaming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and explore Gimpel's role as an outcast. Is he or is he not? Choose a side and argue for or against.
Essay Topic 2
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 3
"Gimpel the Fool" questions the definition of truth. Compare and contrast what is true to the townspeople and what is true to Gimpel. Which version is actually true? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)