|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Elka's premarital demands met?
2. Who wants Gimpel to marry Elka?
3. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
4. Who beats up on Gimpel?
5. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the bakery and what does it allow Gimpel to do?
2. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
3. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
4. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
5. What does Gimpel do to right his wrongful plot of revenge?
6. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
7. After the birth, who does Gimpel go to for advice and what is said?
8. What does Gimpel feel and do for the baby?
9. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
10. Briefly describe how Gimpel first sees Elka, including Elka's living situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Define and explain the concept of The Wise Fool, and explain Gimpel as such.
Essay Topic 3
Gimpel displays a great deal of compassion throughout the story while evoking the same emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss Singer's use of compassion to relay the story. How does the first person narrative aid in this?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)