|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
2. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
3. After seeing the suspicious wedding gift, what is Gimpel's resolution?
4. After Gimpel enters his house, what does he hear?
5. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Elka abusive towards Gimpel?
2. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
3. What is Gimpel's religion and how do we know this?
4. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
5. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
6. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
7. After righting his revenge plot, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
8. When Gimpel goes home after months of separation, what does he see?
9. What does Gimpel see and hear at his house in Chapter 2, when he comes home early from the bakery?
10. What occurs during Gimpel's wedding?
Essay Topic 1
Gimpel displays a great deal of compassion throughout the story while evoking the same emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss Singer's use of compassion to relay the story. How does the first person narrative aid in this?
Essay Topic 2
Explain and explore Gimpel's role as an outcast. Is he or is he not? Choose a side and argue for or against.
Essay Topic 3
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)