|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
2. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
3. Who wants Gimpel to marry Elka?
4. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
5. The day after Elka's explanation about the child, who does Gimpel visit to talk things over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
2. After the birth, who does Gimpel go to for advice and what is said?
3. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
4. What does the Spirit of Evil say about God and the afterlife?
5. How has Gimpel's career progressed over time?
6. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
7. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
8. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
9. What does the rabbi's daughter tell Gimpel to do and why is this important?
10. Where are Gimpel and Elka married, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" questions the definition of truth. Compare and contrast what is true to the townspeople and what is true to Gimpel. Which version is actually true? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concept of forgiveness as it is used within the text. Who forgives, and why? What are the benefits of forgiveness? The drawbacks? Is forgiveness foolish? Or wise?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)