|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Gimpel says about himself?
2. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
3. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
4. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
5. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person Gimpel dreams of after Elka's death, and what does this person say to do?
2. What does Gimpel see and hear at his house in Chapter 2, when he comes home early from the bakery?
3. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
4. At the end of the story, what mementos does Gimpel awaken with after dreaming?
5. At the end of the story, what is Gimpel ready to do and how does he feel about it?
6. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
7. How does Gimpel feel about the pranks that are pulled on him?
8. How is Elka abusive towards Gimpel?
9. After much consideration, what does the rabbi say to Gimpel regarding Elka's infidelity?
10. Why doesn't Gimpel get angry in Chapter 2 when he returns home early from the bakery? What does Gimpel do instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss Singer's use of symbolism throughout the text. How is it effective in enriching the story?
Essay Topic 3
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)