|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
2. Even though Gimpel wanted to sleep at home, where does he stay instead?
3. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
4. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
5. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the story, what is Gimpel ready to do and how does he feel about it?
2. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
3. After claiming he has made a mistake about what he saw at home in Chapter 2, what must happen regarding the rabbi, and what is Gimpel allowed to do?
4. What is Gimpel's religion and how do we know this?
5. Why doesn't Gimpel get angry in Chapter 2 when he returns home early from the bakery? What does Gimpel do instead?
6. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
7. What does Gimpel come to understand at the end of the story, and why?
8. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
9. What does Gimpel ask of Elka when he first visits her at her house?
10. What does Gimpel think when he sees the baby crib?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The story of "Gimpel the Fool" is largely effective due to its use of first person narrative. Define first person narrative and discuss why it works particularly well with this story. Also, consider the use of first person narrative in Gimpel the Fool and how would the story be different if :
Part A) The first person narrative was not Gimpel's voice.
Part B) The story was written in the third person.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)