|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
2. What is Gimpel's response to Elka's wedding night claims?
3. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
4. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
5. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What eventually happens to Elka and what does Gimpel do for her?
2. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
3. What does Gimpel think when he sees the baby crib?
4. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
5. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
6. How has Gimpel's career progressed over time?
7. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
8. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
9. After righting his revenge plot, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
10. What does Gimpel feel and do for the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judaism lends a great deal to the intricacy of the story. How would the story be different without the religious aspect? How does Judaism specifically enrich the text?
Essay Topic 2
Explain and explore Gimpel's role as an outcast. Is he or is he not? Choose a side and argue for or against.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and describe the appearance and roles of social class issues within the text. How do they affect the story?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)