|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
2. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
3. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
4. What does Elka give birth to?
5. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
2. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
3. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
4. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
5. Briefly describe how Gimpel first sees Elka, including Elka's living situation.
6. Describe a few pranks played on Gimpel.
7. When Gimpel goes home after months of separation, what does he see?
8. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
9. Who is the first person Gimpel dreams of after Elka's death, and what does this person say to do?
10. What does the Spirit of Evil say about God and the afterlife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 2
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 3
Frampol is a historically significant town that is also the setting for "Gimpel the Fool". Discuss why Singer chose this location for his story, its specific historical significance, and its contribution to the story.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)