|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Gimpel wanted to sleep at home, where does he stay instead?
2. When Gimpel states that he will "never marry that whore", what do the townspeople say?
3. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
4. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
5. What does Gimpel say his foolishness consists of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Elka abusive towards Gimpel?
2. How long is Gimpel with Elka and how is their life?
3. Briefly describe how Gimpel first sees Elka, including Elka's living situation.
4. What does Elka say about the child?
5. At the end of the story, what is Gimpel ready to do and how does he feel about it?
6. What is Gimpel's living situation as a child?
7. What does Gimpel do to right his wrongful plot of revenge?
8. What happens at the bakery and what does it allow Gimpel to do?
9. Describe the setting of Gimpel the Fool.
10. What do the children of the world call Gimpel and ask him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isaac Bashevis Singer is a world-renowned author.
Part 1) Describe Singer's place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the concept of judgment within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and describe the appearance and roles of social class issues within the text. How do they affect the story?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)