|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of the story?
2. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
3. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
4. What does Gimpel see in his bed next to Elka?
5. What evidence does Gimpel give that the child is not his?
Short Essay Questions
1. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
2. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol, and who takes care of him?
3. When Gimpel tells Elka on her deathbed that she has been a good wife, what does Elka confess?
4. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
5. Where are Gimpel and Elka married, and why?
6. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
7. What is Gimpel's religion and how do we know this?
8. Describe the setting of Gimpel the Fool.
9. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
10. What does Gimpel think when he sees the baby crib?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the concept of forgiveness as it is used within the text. Who forgives, and why? What are the benefits of forgiveness? The drawbacks? Is forgiveness foolish? Or wise?
Essay Topic 2
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)