|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gimpel begin to forget his sorrow?
2. When Gimpel asks Elka about all the negative things he has heard about her and asks that she not be deceitful, what does Elka say?
3. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
4. What evidence does Gimpel give that the child is not his?
5. What does Elka do ten times a day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rabbi's daughter tell Gimpel to do and why is this important?
2. How long is Gimpel with Elka and how is their life?
3. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
4. What does Gimpel do to right his wrongful plot of revenge?
5. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
6. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
7. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
8. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
9. What does Gimpel say about his situation and what others would do if they were he?
10. What does Gimpel rationalize about what he saw when he came home early from the bakery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The story of "Gimpel the Fool" is largely effective due to its use of first person narrative. Define first person narrative and discuss why it works particularly well with this story. Also, consider the use of first person narrative in Gimpel the Fool and how would the story be different if :
Part A) The first person narrative was not Gimpel's voice.
Part B) The story was written in the third person.
Essay Topic 3
Define and explain the concept of The Wise Fool, and explain Gimpel as such.
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)