|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
2. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
3. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
4. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
5. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
2. What happens at the bakery and what does it allow Gimpel to do?
3. What does Gimpel do to right his wrongful plot of revenge?
4. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
5. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
6. What occurs during Gimpel's wedding?
7. What does Gimpel think when he sees the baby crib?
8. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
9. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
10. After righting his revenge plot, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of faith and mysticism versus free thought and doubt, and how they are relevant within the story. Be sure to use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Define and explain the concept of The Wise Fool, and explain Gimpel as such.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)