|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical imperfection does Elka have?
2. What advice is given to Gimpel regarding Elka's explanation about the child?
3. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
4. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
5. Who is the main character of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Gimpel and Elka married, and why?
2. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
3. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
4. What happens four months after the wedding and how does Gimpel react?
5. Describe a few pranks played on Gimpel.
6. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
7. What does Elka say about the child?
8. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
9. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
10. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol, and who takes care of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of faith and mysticism versus free thought and doubt, and how they are relevant within the story. Be sure to use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Frampol is a historically significant town that is also the setting for "Gimpel the Fool". Discuss why Singer chose this location for his story, its specific historical significance, and its contribution to the story.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)