Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
2. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
3. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
4. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
5. Where does Gimpel want to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. After claiming he has made a mistake about what he saw at home in Chapter 2, what must happen regarding the rabbi, and what is Gimpel allowed to do?
2. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
3. Describe the messenger that Gimpel uses to send his family supplies during his separation from his family.
4. After the first childbirth, how does Gimpel feel about Elka and what does he do for her?
5. What does Elka say about the child?
6. Describe Gimpel and Elka's home life.
7. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
8. Who does Gimpel visit the day after he returned home early from the bakery, and what is he told to do?
9. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol, and who takes care of him?
10. What does Gimpel say about his situation and what others would do if they were he?
Essay Topic 1
"Gimpel the Fool" is often said to be a narrative of Jewish persecution throughout history. Explain this, and argue either for or against this opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concept of judgment within the text.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)