|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
2. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
3. After seeing the suspicious wedding gift, what is Gimpel's resolution?
4. Who is the main character of the story?
5. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
2. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
3. What does Gimpel say about his situation and what others would do if they were he?
4. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
5. How long is Gimpel with Elka and how is their life?
6. How is Elka abusive towards Gimpel?
7. Who does Gimpel visit the day after he returned home early from the bakery, and what is he told to do?
8. What is Gimpel's religion and how do we know this?
9. After the first childbirth, how does Gimpel feel about Elka and what does he do for her?
10. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gimpel displays a great deal of compassion throughout the story while evoking the same emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss Singer's use of compassion to relay the story. How does the first person narrative aid in this?
Essay Topic 2
Define the word "martyr" and discuss why or why not Gimpel fits this description.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)