|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
2. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
3. Where does Gimpel want to go?
4. What do Gimpel and Elka have in common?
5. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
2. Who is Gimpel the Fool?
3. What does Gimpel do to right his wrongful plot of revenge?
4. After much consideration, what does the rabbi say to Gimpel regarding Elka's infidelity?
5. What eventually happens to Elka and what does Gimpel do for her?
6. Describe the messenger that Gimpel uses to send his family supplies during his separation from his family.
7. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
8. How has Gimpel's career progressed over time?
9. At the end of the story, what mementos does Gimpel awaken with after dreaming?
10. What do the children of the world call Gimpel and ask him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and explore Gimpel's role as an outcast. Is he or is he not? Choose a side and argue for or against.
Essay Topic 2
Singer uses foreshadowing in the very beginning when Gimpel states that he does not consider himself a fool. Discuss foreshadowing as a literary tool and Singer's use of it within the text.
Essay Topic 3
It is arguable that while Gimpel wonders if his entire town has gone mad, he himself may be the one who is insane. Argue for or against Gimpel's sanity, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)