|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gimpel see in his bed next to Elka?
2. What does Elka give birth to?
3. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
4. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
5. Who does Gimpel go to for advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
2. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
3. What eventually happens to Elka and what does Gimpel do for her?
4. What does Gimpel feel and do for the baby?
5. After righting his revenge plot, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
6. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
7. At the end of the story, what is Gimpel ready to do and how does he feel about it?
8. What does the Spirit of Evil say about God and the afterlife?
9. After much consideration, what does the rabbi say to Gimpel regarding Elka's infidelity?
10. How has Gimpel's career progressed over time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Singer uses foreshadowing in the very beginning when Gimpel states that he does not consider himself a fool. Discuss foreshadowing as a literary tool and Singer's use of it within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Gimpel states that he is called a fool because he is easily deceived. Explore the theme of deception throughout the text, questioning who is being deceived.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concept of judgment within the text.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)