|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gimpel have to live with someone other than his parents?
2. Where does Gimpel live?
3. Who is the child's favorite person?
4. What do Gimpel and Elka have in common?
5. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gimpel see and hear at his house in Chapter 2, when he comes home early from the bakery?
2. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
3. What occurs during Gimpel's wedding?
4. What eventually happens to Elka and what does Gimpel do for her?
5. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
6. What happens four months after the wedding and how does Gimpel react?
7. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
8. How long is Gimpel with Elka and how is their life?
9. Who is Gimpel the Fool?
10. Who does Gimpel visit the day after he returned home early from the bakery, and what is he told to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the concepts of truth and persecution as they are used in conjunction within the text. What is true to Gimpel? To the townspeople? To God? Which one perseveres, and why? Does truth inspire perseverance? Does one person's truth lead to another person's persecution?
Essay Topic 2
Define and explain the concept of The Wise Fool, and explain Gimpel as such.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the concept of forgiveness as it is used within the text. Who forgives, and why? What are the benefits of forgiveness? The drawbacks? Is forgiveness foolish? Or wise?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)