|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the night of Gimpel's return after a lengthy separation, what does Elka's "brother" do to Gimpel?
(a) Hugs him and tells him he's glad Gimpel's home.
(b) Jump from behind the oven and strikes him on the head.
(c) Ties Gimpel up and threatens to kill him.
(d) Yells at Gimpel to leave.
2. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
(a) A burning pit just as the Spirit of Evil said.
(b) A relief.
(c) A craps shoot.
(d) Real, without ridicule, complication or deception.
3. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
(a) If Gimpel is ready to divorce Elka.
(b) If Gimpel has been praying enough.
(c) If Gimpel is ready to marry someone else.
(d) If Gimpel is sure he was wrong about his wife.
4. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
(a) Elka dies.
(b) Gimpel meets someone else.
(c) Elka gives birth to a boy.
(d) Elka gives birth to a baby girl.
5. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
(a) Saul Bellow.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Isaac Bashevis Singer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
2. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
3. As Gimpel ages, what does he say he comes to understand?
4. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
5. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)