|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
(a) She is bad luck.
(b) She is a murderess.
(c) She is prone to rages and hits people.
(d) She has a fierce tongue.
2. What is Gimpel's reasoning for considering marrying Elka?
(a) When you're married the husband is the master and if that's agreeable with her, it's agreeable to him too.
(b) He shouldn't be judgmental.
(c) "Waste not, want not."
(d) He has heard that she is very pretty.
3. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
(a) Denies them and claims Gimpel is crazy.
(b) Leaves the room.
(c) Stands silent.
(d) Admits her wrong-doings.
4. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Visit the Rabbi.
(b) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
(c) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
(d) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
5. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
(a) The Baker.
(b) The Rabbi.
(d) The Farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
2. What do Gimpel and Elka have in common?
3. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
4. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
5. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a few pranks played on Gimpel.
2. After months of separation, what is the first thing Elka asks Gimpel to do when she sees him, and why?
3. When Gimpel tells Elka on her deathbed that she has been a good wife, what does Elka confess?
4. What does Elka say about the child?
5. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
6. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
7. Paraphrase the advice given to Gimpel by the rabbi.
8. What does the rabbi's daughter tell Gimpel to do and why is this important?
9. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
10. After the first childbirth, how does Gimpel feel about Elka and what does he do for her?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)