|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
(a) She is prone to rages and hits people.
(b) She is bad luck.
(c) She is a murderess.
(d) She has a fierce tongue.
2. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
(a) She secretly loves him.
(b) She already knows who he is.
(c) She doesn't like him.
(d) She is surprised to see him.
3. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
(a) She is both a widow and divorced.
(b) She smells bad.
(c) She doesn't really love Gimpel.
(d) She isn't fit to be wed.
4. What is Gimpel's objection to Elka's premarital requirement?
(a) He is allergic to dogs.
(b) He tells her it's the bride, not the groom, who offers a dowry.
(c) He doesn't want to be celibate.
(d) He tells her he already has a house built for them.
5. What does Gimpel see in his bed next to Elka?
(a) His new love interest.
(b) An empty space for him to sleep.
(c) A man's form.
(d) The baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
2. Who is the child's favorite person?
3. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
4. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
5. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Gimpel's career progressed over time?
2. After the birth, who does Gimpel go to for advice and what is said?
3. What does Gimpel rationalize about what he saw when he came home early from the bakery?
4. What does the Spirit of Evil say about God and the afterlife?
5. After the first childbirth, how does Gimpel feel about Elka and what does he do for her?
6. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
7. What do the children of the world call Gimpel and ask him to do?
8. When Gimpel goes home after months of separation, what does he see?
9. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
10. At the end of the story, what is Gimpel ready to do and how does he feel about it?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)