|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice is given to Gimpel?
(a) That he his not a fool. They are the fools.
(b) That he is foolish and should accept it.
(c) That he should bake more bread.
(d) That he should laugh off the jokes.
2. What happens four months after Gimpel and Elka get married?
(a) They get divorced.
(b) Elka gives birth.
(c) Elka gets pregnant.
(d) Elka miscarries.
3. When the Rabbi hears what Gimpel has said about Elka's infidelity, what does he say?
(a) Gimpel eats too much.
(b) He will have to reconsider the case.
(c) Elka deserves to be loved and forgiven.
(d) He knew that Gimpel would be happy in a new town.
4. Where are Gimpel and Elka married?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The bakery.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) Their new house.
5. What is Gimpel's response to Elka's wedding night claims?
(a) Elka had the ritual bath yesterday, which happens after her monthly is over.
(b) He has a headache too.
(c) He likes the idea of having two houses.
(d) He is resolute on being celibate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
2. What does Elka want before agreeing to marry Gimpel?
3. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
4. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
5. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the birth, who does Gimpel go to for advice and what is said?
2. After much consideration, what does the rabbi say to Gimpel regarding Elka's infidelity?
3. How far does Gimpel go towards revenge?
4. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
5. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
6. When Gimpel goes home after months of separation, what does he see?
7. How long is Gimpel with Elka and how is their life?
8. What does Gimpel say about his situation and what others would do if they were he?
9. At the end of the story, what mementos does Gimpel awaken with after dreaming?
10. What occurs during Gimpel's wedding?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)