|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
(a) She is a murderess.
(b) She has a fierce tongue.
(c) She is bad luck.
(d) She is prone to rages and hits people.
2. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
(a) They are in debt and have sold him to the farmer.
(b) They have died.
(c) They have moved to another town and left Gimpel behind.
(d) They have risen from the dead and are looking for him.
3. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(b) Baby clothes.
4. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
(b) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
(c) Visit the Rabbi.
(d) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
5. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Shower Gimpel wih love.
(b) Leave the house.
(c) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
(d) Make excuses to avoid sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gimpel's objection to Elka's premarital requirement?
2. What happens whenever Gimpel doesn't believe the pranksters?
3. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi say Gimpel cannot do?
4. Who beats up on Gimpel?
5. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gimpel's religion and how do we know this?
2. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
3. What does Gimpel come to understand at the end of the story, and why?
4. What happens four months after the wedding and how does Gimpel react?
5. What does the Spirit of Evil say about God and the afterlife?
6. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
7. After righting his revenge plot, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
8. After months of separation, what is the first thing Elka asks Gimpel to do when she sees him, and why?
9. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
10. What happens at the bakery and what does it allow Gimpel to do?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)