|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice is given to Gimpel?
(a) That he his not a fool. They are the fools.
(b) That he should laugh off the jokes.
(c) That he is foolish and should accept it.
(d) That he should bake more bread.
2. What evidence does Gimpel give that the child is not his?
(a) The child was born 17 weeks after their wedding.
(b) Gimpel and Elka had not had sex.
(c) The child looks nothing like him.
(d) Gimpel is infertile.
3. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi say Gimpel cannot do?
(b) Forgive Elka.
(c) Contact Elka.
(d) Divorce Elka.
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) The Spirit of Evil.
(b) The rabbi.
5. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
2. What happens four months after Gimpel and Elka get married?
3. When people glare at the child, what does Gimpel do?
4. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
5. Where does Gimpel live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
2. How is Elka abusive towards Gimpel?
3. What is Gimpel's living situation as a child?
4. What does Gimpel feel and do for the baby?
5. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
6. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
7. After months of separation, what is the first thing Elka asks Gimpel to do when she sees him, and why?
8. Does Gimpel believe Elka's wedding night excuse? Why or why not?
9. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
10. What does Gimpel come to understand at the end of the story, and why?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)