|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
(a) Visits the House of Prayer and repeats psalms.
(b) Waits outside the birthing quarters and prays.
(c) Holds Elka's hand while she screams.
(d) Visits the Rabbi.
2. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
(a) She is both a widow and divorced.
(b) She doesn't really love Gimpel.
(c) She isn't fit to be wed.
(d) She smells bad.
3. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
(a) She is naked.
(b) She is barefoot, wearing a worn plush gown with her hair in braids.
(c) She is dressed in red silk and preparing tea.
(d) She is still in her flannel pajamas with her hair all messy.
4. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her little brother.
(c) Her little sister.
(d) Her uncle.
5. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
(a) It starts to rain.
(b) The townspeople are hollering and chorusing.
(c) The Rabbi is advising Gimpel on how to propose to Elka.
(d) The Baker is running after Gimpel to talk him out of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he visits Elka's house, what takes Gimpel's breath away?
2. How does Gimpel rationalize Elka's behavior?
3. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
4. What happens mid-week at the bakery?
5. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
2. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
3. What does Gimpel rationalize about what he saw when he came home early from the bakery?
4. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
5. After righting his revenge plot, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
6. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
7. Describe the setting of Gimpel the Fool.
8. What does the rabbi's daughter tell Gimpel to do and why is this important?
9. At the end of the story, what is Gimpel ready to do and how does he feel about it?
10. Who is the first person Gimpel dreams of after Elka's death, and what does this person say to do?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)