|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(a) He isn't sure.
(d) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
2. When the Rabbi hears what Gimpel has said about Elka's infidelity, what does he say?
(a) He knew that Gimpel would be happy in a new town.
(b) He will have to reconsider the case.
(c) Elka deserves to be loved and forgiven.
(d) Gimpel eats too much.
3. Even though Gimpel wanted to sleep at home, where does he stay instead?
(a) The bakery.
(b) The pub.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The street.
4. When Gimpel asks Elka about all the negative things he has heard about her and asks that she not be deceitful, what does Elka say?
(a) "They are the fools."
(b) "For he who causes his neighbor to feel shame loses Paradise himself."
(c) "To hell with THEM!"
(d) "Whoever tries to twist you up may his nose make a twist."
5. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
(a) Her little brother.
(b) Her little sister.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
2. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
3. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
4. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
5. What is Elka's response to Gimpel's evidence that the child is not his?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Gimpel visit the day after he returned home early from the bakery, and what is he told to do?
2. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
3. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
4. What expression is Elka wearing when she dies, and what does Gimpel think this means?
5. Why doesn't Gimpel get angry in Chapter 2 when he returns home early from the bakery? What does Gimpel do instead?
6. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
7. Who is the first person Gimpel dreams of after Elka's death, and what does this person say to do?
8. What does Gimpel rationalize about what he saw when he came home early from the bakery?
9. What does Gimpel come to understand at the end of the story, and why?
10. What is Gimpel's living situation as a child?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)