|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Gimpel by his nickname?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) His parents.
(c) The rabbi.
2. Where does Gimpel want to go?
(a) Off to another town.
(d) To hell.
3. Who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) His parents.
(b) The Rabbi.
(c) The Baker.
(d) The Farmer.
4. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
(a) The Baker.
(b) Gimpel's parents.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The townspeople.
5. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
(a) She is bad luck.
(b) She is prone to rages and hits people.
(c) She is a murderess.
(d) She has a fierce tongue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Elka tell Gimpel in an attempt to convince him that the child is his?
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
3. What does Gimpel say most men would do in his situation?
4. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
5. What happens mid-week at the bakery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a few pranks played on Gimpel.
2. After much consideration, what does the rabbi say to Gimpel regarding Elka's infidelity?
3. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
4. Describe Gimpel and Elka's home life.
5. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
6. What eventually happens to Elka and what does Gimpel do for her?
7. What does the Spirit of Evil say about God and the afterlife?
8. What happens at the bakery and what does it allow Gimpel to do?
9. How does Gimpel feel about the pranks that are pulled on him?
10. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)