|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The barn.
(b) The bakery.
(c) The pub.
(d) The synagogue.
2. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
(a) She will berate the townspeople until her needs are met.
(b) Everyone can kiss her you-know-what.
(c) She will scream.
(d) She will cry.
3. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
(a) Holds Elka's hand while she screams.
(b) Visits the Rabbi.
(c) Waits outside the birthing quarters and prays.
(d) Visits the House of Prayer and repeats psalms.
4. After rationalizing Elka's behavior, what does Gimpel begin to agree with Elka on?
(a) That the baby is his.
(b) That the sky is green.
(c) That Gimpel was hallucinating.
(d) That Gimpel is a fool.
5. How does Gimpel begin to forget his sorrow?
(a) He loves the little girl.
(b) He works extra long hours.
(c) He sleeps more.
(d) He loves the little boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
2. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
3. What festivities occurred at Gimpel and Elka's wedding?
4. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
5. Who is the child's favorite person?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gimpel ask of Elka when he first visits her at her house?
2. What eventually happens to Elka and what does Gimpel do for her?
3. What does Gimpel rationalize about what he saw when he came home early from the bakery?
4. How far does Gimpel go towards revenge?
5. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
6. At the end of the story, what mementos does Gimpel awaken with after dreaming?
7. After claiming he has made a mistake about what he saw at home in Chapter 2, what must happen regarding the rabbi, and what is Gimpel allowed to do?
8. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
9. What does Gimpel think when he sees the baby crib?
10. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)