|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
2. Who is the child named after?
(a) Elka's father.
(b) Elka's mother.
(c) Gimpel's mother.
(d) Gimpel's father.
3. Who is the main character of the story?
(a) The Devil.
(d) The rabbi.
4. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(a) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
(b) He isn't sure.
5. What does Elka do ten times a day?
(a) Tell Gimpel how much she loves him.
(c) Threaten to divorce Gimpel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
2. When he visits Elka's house, what takes Gimpel's breath away?
3. What is Gimpel's nickname?
4. What does Gimpel say his foolishness consists of?
5. What advice is given to Gimpel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gimpel feel and do for the baby?
2. What does Gimpel rationalize about what he saw when he came home early from the bakery?
3. Describe a few pranks played on Gimpel.
4. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
5. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
6. Describe the messenger that Gimpel uses to send his family supplies during his separation from his family.
7. Who is Gimpel the Fool?
8. When Gimpel goes home after months of separation, what does he see?
9. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
10. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask of Gimpel and why?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)