|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
(a) She begins to sob uncontrollably.
(b) She tells him that he is in fact a fool.
(c) She is silent.
(d) She pretends not to know what he is talking about.
2. Who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The Rabbi.
(b) The Farmer.
(c) His parents.
(d) The Baker.
3. What advice is given to Gimpel regarding Elka's explanation about the child?
(a) The same thing happened to Adam and Eve, and every woman is a descendant of Eve.
(b) Elka is a liar and he should already know that the child is not his.
(c) Premature births do happen, so Gimpel should be grateful the child lived.
(d) God makes miracles every day.
4. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
(a) Elka is a Christian.
(b) Elka can't wait to meet Gimpel.
(c) Elka is a chaste maiden.
(d) Elka is in love with Gimpel.
5. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Leave the house.
(b) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
(c) Shower Gimpel wih love.
(d) Make excuses to avoid sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
2. What evidence does Gimpel give that the child is not his?
3. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
4. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
5. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
2. What does Gimpel see and hear at his house in Chapter 2, when he comes home early from the bakery?
3. Why doesn't Gimpel get angry in Chapter 2 when he returns home early from the bakery? What does Gimpel do instead?
4. At the end of the story, who does Gimpel dream of, and how does he feel about it?
5. What does the rabbi's daughter tell Gimpel to do and why is this important?
6. Briefly describe how Gimpel first sees Elka, including Elka's living situation.
7. Who is the first person Gimpel dreams of after Elka's death, and what does this person say to do?
8. When Gimpel goes home after months of separation, what does he see?
9. How far does Gimpel go towards revenge?
10. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)