|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
(a) She has a fierce tongue.
(b) She is prone to rages and hits people.
(c) She is a murderess.
(d) She is bad luck.
2. Where does Gimpel live?
3. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
(a) She will scream.
(b) Everyone can kiss her you-know-what.
(c) She will cry.
(d) She will berate the townspeople until her needs are met.
4. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The synagogue.
(b) The pub.
(c) The barn.
(d) The bakery.
5. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
(a) She isn't fit to be wed.
(b) She doesn't really love Gimpel.
(c) She smells bad.
(d) She is both a widow and divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
2. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
3. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
4. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens four months after the wedding and how does Gimpel react?
2. What do the children of the world call Gimpel and ask him to do?
3. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
4. What is Gimpel's living situation as a child?
5. How does Gimpel feel about the pranks that are pulled on him?
6. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
7. When Gimpel tells Elka on her deathbed that she has been a good wife, what does Elka confess?
8. What happens at the bakery and what does it allow Gimpel to do?
9. Paraphrase the advice given to Gimpel by the rabbi.
10. How far does Gimpel go towards revenge?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)