|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gimpel say most men would do in his situation?
(a) Work more.
(b) Sleep more.
(c) Take French leave and disappear.
(d) Demand more sex from his wife.
2. After rationalizing Elka's behavior, what does Gimpel begin to agree with Elka on?
(a) That Gimpel was hallucinating.
(b) That the sky is green.
(c) That Gimpel is a fool.
(d) That the baby is his.
3. When Gimpel states that he will "never marry that whore", what do the townspeople say?
(a) That he should be glad that she's easy.
(b) That he should be ashamed of giving Elka a bad name and they can have him fined by the Rabbi.
(c) That Elka is a prostitute.
(d) That no one blames him if he doesn't want to marry Elka.
4. When people glare at the child, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Punches the glaring person in the mouth.
(b) Gets the child an abracadabra.
(c) Tells the child to get used to it, for the child is a bastard.
(d) Soothes the child with coos and words of love.
5. When Gimpel asks Elka about all the negative things he has heard about her and asks that she not be deceitful, what does Elka say?
(a) "For he who causes his neighbor to feel shame loses Paradise himself."
(b) "Whoever tries to twist you up may his nose make a twist."
(c) "They are the fools."
(d) "To hell with THEM!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
2. Even though Gimpel wanted to sleep at home, where does he stay instead?
3. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
4. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
5. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gimpel say about his situation and what others would do if they were he?
2. What does Gimpel think when he sees the baby crib?
3. Where are Gimpel and Elka married, and why?
4. What is Gimpel's living situation as a child?
5. What does Gimpel ask of Elka when he first visits her at her house?
6. What happens at the bakery and what does it allow Gimpel to do?
7. How far does Gimpel go towards revenge?
8. What does Gimpel do to right his wrongful plot of revenge?
9. How is Elka abusive towards Gimpel?
10. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)