|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gimpel want to go?
(a) Off to another town.
(b) To hell.
2. Why does Gimpel have to live with someone other than his parents?
(a) He didn't like his parents.
(b) Both of his parents died.
(c) He was a bad child.
(d) His dad died and his mother didn't want him.
3. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
(b) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
(c) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
(d) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
4. When Gimpel states that he will "never marry that whore", what do the townspeople say?
(a) That no one blames him if he doesn't want to marry Elka.
(b) That Elka is a prostitute.
(c) That he should be ashamed of giving Elka a bad name and they can have him fined by the Rabbi.
(d) That he should be glad that she's easy.
5. Who calls Gimpel by his nickname?
(a) The townspeople.
(c) The rabbi.
(d) His parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants Gimpel to marry Elka?
2. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
3. What happens whenever Gimpel doesn't believe the pranksters?
4. Who is the main character of the story?
5. What advice is given to Gimpel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Gimpel the Fool.
2. When Gimpel goes home after months of separation, what does he see?
3. When Gimpel tells Elka on her deathbed that she has been a good wife, what does Elka confess?
4. What does Elka say about the child?
5. After months of separation, who does Gimpel confront the day after his return and what is said?
6. What does Elka do on her wedding night and what is her reasoning for it?
7. What does Gimpel feel and do for the baby?
8. Describe a few pranks played on Gimpel.
9. What do the children of the world call Gimpel and ask him to do?
10. After claiming he has made a mistake about what he saw at home in Chapter 2, what must happen regarding the rabbi, and what is Gimpel allowed to do?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)