|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Kill Elka.
(b) Forgive Elka.
(c) Divorce Elka.
(d) Move to another town.
2. What does Elka want before agreeing to marry Gimpel?
(a) A vow of celibacy from Gimpel.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A dowry of fifty guilders.
(d) A house built to her specifications.
3. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
(a) "I hate you!"
(b) "You suck!"
(c) "Pray for us!"
(d) "I'm going. Forgive me!"
4. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
(a) She pretends not to know what he is talking about.
(b) She tells him that he is in fact a fool.
(c) She begins to sob uncontrollably.
(d) She is silent.
5. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
2. What is Gimpel's reasoning for considering marrying Elka?
3. What is the first thing Gimpel says about himself?
4. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
5. Where does Gimpel want to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gimpel's religion and how do we know this?
2. Describe the messenger that Gimpel uses to send his family supplies during his separation from his family.
3. At the end of the story, what mementos does Gimpel awaken with after dreaming?
4. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
5. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
6. Describe a few pranks played on Gimpel.
7. What happens when Gimpel returns from checking on the goat?
8. Describe the setting of Gimpel the Fool.
9. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
10. What does Gimpel come to understand at the end of the story, and why?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)