|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The barn.
(b) The pub.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The bakery.
2. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
(a) She is barefoot, wearing a worn plush gown with her hair in braids.
(b) She is still in her flannel pajamas with her hair all messy.
(c) She is naked.
(d) She is dressed in red silk and preparing tea.
3. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
(a) Everyone can kiss her you-know-what.
(b) She will cry.
(c) She will scream.
(d) She will berate the townspeople until her needs are met.
4. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is hungry and needs bread.
(b) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
(c) He has made a mistake.
(d) He is happy to be in a new place.
5. What does Gimpel say about his ability to fight back?
(a) He is small and cannot fight.
(b) He beats people up when he gets angry.
(c) He is no weakling but prefers to let it pass.
(d) His parents won't let him hit people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
2. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
3. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
4. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
5. After rationalizing Elka's behavior, what does Gimpel begin to agree with Elka on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe how Gimpel is talked into meeting Elka.
2. What does the rabbi's daughter tell Gimpel to do and why is this important?
3. Describe the setting of Gimpel the Fool.
4. Why is Gimpel called a fool?
5. After the birth, who does Gimpel go to for advice and what is said?
6. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
7. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
8. How does Gimpel feel about the pranks that are pulled on him?
9. How far does Gimpel go towards revenge?
10. What happens nine months after Gimpel and Elka are separated?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)