|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
(a) When he is a schoolboy.
(b) He doesn't have a nickname.
(c) As an adult.
(d) As a baby.
2. Who is the main character of the story?
(b) The rabbi.
(c) The Devil.
3. How does Gimpel begin to forget his sorrow?
(a) He works extra long hours.
(b) He loves the little girl.
(c) He sleeps more.
(d) He loves the little boy.
4. After wanting to go home mid-week, who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The Rabbi.
(b) The baby.
(c) The farmer.
(d) The baker.
5. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
2. What does Elka do ten times a day?
3. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
4. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
5. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Gimpel visit the day after he returned home early from the bakery, and what is he told to do?
2. How long is Gimpel with Elka and how is their life?
3. What does Gimpel fear he will lose if he follows through with revenge?
4. After months of separation from his family, why doesn't Gimpel want a scandal?
5. Who is the second person to appear to Gimpel while he is sleeping, and how does that person look?
6. What does the second person he dreams of say to Gimpel?
7. Paraphrase the advice given to Gimpel by the rabbi.
8. At the end of the story, what is Gimpel ready to do and how does he feel about it?
9. When Gimpel first visits Elka at her house, what does Elka say to Gimpel and what does she demand before agreeing to marriage?
10. What does Gimpel say about his situation and what others would do if they were he?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)