|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
2. What "stupid answer" does Jacob give in response to a Justice?
3. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
4. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
5. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the brief written by George D. Mentz of the Alabama Attorney General's office which supports Jacob's case?
2. What embarrassing statement does Jacob make in dialogue regarding Gideon representing someone else in court?
3. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
4. How do Fortas and Jacob differ in their perceptions of Supreme Court procedure?
5. What form of support does Jacob get to help him defend the state position in the trial?
6. What are a couple reasons that the Supreme Court works so well in terms of independent thinking?
7. Compare and contrast the legal resources for Jacob representing states' rights and Fortas representing just one man.
8. What is Justice Harlan's simple statement that overturns Betts vs. Brady?
9. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
10. What does John Hart Ely discover about Florida cases while doing research for Gideon's Supreme Court case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the story. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
Gideon changed the course of American law by petitioning for justice in the area of rights to an attorney. Who might be the next Gideon? Name two causes that are important in the United States today and how their passage would significantly alter the laws in America. What do you think the chances are of the causes passing and affecting change? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In Gideon's Supreme Court case, Abe Fortas is assigned to represent him while Bruce Jacob represents the state's rights. Compare and contrast Abe Fortas and Bruce Jacob. What similarities do they share? How are they different? Do you think the Supreme Court Justices knew what they were doing when they appointed Fortas to Gideon's case? Explain.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)