|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
2. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
3. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
4. Why was the Betts case able to prevail in 1942?
5. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Gideon's life. How did Gideon have to adapt to a lonely childhood and youth? What effect did that have on his future relationships? Could his inability to manage relationships be part of the cause of his marital failures and relationships with his children? Explain the impact that childhood distress can have on an adult many years later.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Bruce Jacob. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of W. Fred Turner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)