|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
2. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
3. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
4. Why was the Betts case able to prevail in 1942?
5. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
Essay Topic 1
In Gideon's Supreme Court case, Abe Fortas is assigned to represent him while Bruce Jacob represents the state's rights. Compare and contrast Abe Fortas and Bruce Jacob. What similarities do they share? How are they different? Do you think the Supreme Court Justices knew what they were doing when they appointed Fortas to Gideon's case? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Gideon's life. How did Gideon have to adapt to a lonely childhood and youth? What effect did that have on his future relationships? Could his inability to manage relationships be part of the cause of his marital failures and relationships with his children? Explain the impact that childhood distress can have on an adult many years later.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book GIDEON'S TRUMPET when Gideon is clearly not a musician? Expand your thinking and provide the best answer you can think of.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)