|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
2. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
3. Immediately following Gideon's case, how many cases does the Supreme Court send back to the Florida State Supreme Court ordering it to reconsider those cases in light of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
4. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
5. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
2. What form of support does Jacob get to help him defend the state position in the trial?
3. Who is Bruce Robert Jacob and what is his role in Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
4. What embarrassing statement does Jacob make in dialogue regarding Gideon representing someone else in court?
5. What is the premise of the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942?
6. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
7. What is Jacob's opinion on the retroactive element of any law which may evolve from Gideon's Supreme Court case?
8. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
9. What is the premise of the brief written by George D. Mentz of the Alabama Attorney General's office which supports Jacob's case?
10. What does John Hart Ely discover about Florida cases while doing research for Gideon's Supreme Court case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With what crime had Clarence Earl Gideon been charged? What prevented his being appointed an attorney? Wouldn't Gideon have qualified under the "special circumstances" clause? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When reading Gideon's file, Abe Fortas is interested to know whether or not Gideon is a black man. Why would this have been an important fact? What was happening in the South in the 1960s that would have made Gideon's race a critical factor to his case?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Abe Fortas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)