|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some attorneys consider oral arguments to be?
2. Who does George Mantz say is looking out for defendants with attorneys?
3. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
4. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
5. Alabama's brief declares that ___________________ is more likely to be acquitted.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Gideon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Define the Betts vs. Brady ruling. Why was it essentially unchallenged for 20 years? What happened to American critical thought in the years 1942-1962 that made it possible for Gideon's petition to be heard at the Supreme Court level? What was happening in the culture of America that almost demanded that Gideon's petition be heard? Explain.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)