|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true of Gideon's case?
2. In most cases the majority of the work falls on _________________.
3. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
4. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
5. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of indigent men with diminished intelligence in the South in the 1960s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
When reading Gideon's file, Abe Fortas is interested to know whether or not Gideon is a black man. Why would this have been an important fact? What was happening in the South in the 1960s that would have made Gideon's race a critical factor to his case?
Essay Topic 3
Define the Betts vs. Brady ruling. Why was it essentially unchallenged for 20 years? What happened to American critical thought in the years 1942-1962 that made it possible for Gideon's petition to be heard at the Supreme Court level? What was happening in the culture of America that almost demanded that Gideon's petition be heard? Explain.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)