Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
2. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
3. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
4. Why was the Betts case able to prevail in 1942?
5. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
Essay Topic 1
In Gideon's Supreme Court case, Abe Fortas is assigned to represent him while Bruce Jacob represents the state's rights. Compare and contrast Abe Fortas and Bruce Jacob. What similarities do they share? How are they different? Do you think the Supreme Court Justices knew what they were doing when they appointed Fortas to Gideon's case? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Abe Fortas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
Essay Topic 3
Gideon changed the course of American law by petitioning for justice in the area of rights to an attorney. Who might be the next Gideon? Name two causes that are important in the United States today and how their passage would significantly alter the laws in America. What do you think the chances are of the causes passing and affecting change? Explain.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)