|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
2. Jacob contends that the basis for his case is about _________________, not an attorney.
3. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
4. What "stupid answer" does Jacob give in response to a Justice?
5. Most prisoners currently jailed without the benefit of an attorney do not have which of the following characteristics that Gideon possesses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Justice Black's statement about Betts when he offers the Supreme Court opinion?
2. What is Justice Harlan's simple statement that overturns Betts vs. Brady?
3. What is the author's reply to those who may question whether a case like Gideon's should be managed through legislation or allowed to proceed to the Supreme Court?
4. What is the premise of the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942?
5. What is Jacob's opinion on the retroactive element of any law which may evolve from Gideon's Supreme Court case?
6. How do Fortas and Jacob differ in their perceptions of Supreme Court procedure?
7. Compare and contrast the legal resources for Jacob representing states' rights and Fortas representing just one man.
8. What does John Hart Ely discover about Florida cases while doing research for Gideon's Supreme Court case?
9. How could Gideon vs. Wainwright overthrow the Betts vs. Brady decision that was enacted just 20 years prior?
10. What major points stem from revising the method of assigning attorneys who are not compensated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When reading Gideon's file, Abe Fortas is interested to know whether or not Gideon is a black man. Why would this have been an important fact? What was happening in the South in the 1960s that would have made Gideon's race a critical factor to his case?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of Gideon's not being able to ever hold a job very long in his life yet having the tenacity to hand write pages and pages of his petition to the Supreme Court. What gave Gideon his inspiration to keep pushing forward? How would Gideon's life have been different if he had applied this same tenacity to making a decent living and caring for his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Abe Fortas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)