|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jacob contends that the basis for his case is about _________________, not an attorney.
2. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
3. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
4. Who had complete control over deciding who would represent Gideon?
5. Who replaces Justice Frankfurter when he retires?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the legal resources for Jacob representing states' rights and Fortas representing just one man.
2. What does Fortas believe would be the surest way to get assenting opinions from the Justices in Gideon's case?
3. What could be the reason that the Supreme Court Justices selected Fortas to represent Gideon?
4. What is the premise of the brief written by George D. Mentz of the Alabama Attorney General's office which supports Jacob's case?
5. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
6. What is the premise of the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942?
7. What does John Hart Ely discover about Florida cases while doing research for Gideon's Supreme Court case?
8. Who is Bruce Robert Jacob and what is his role in Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
9. How could Gideon vs. Wainwright overthrow the Betts vs. Brady decision that was enacted just 20 years prior?
10. Before hearing Gideon's case, what are the Justices aware of regarding many of the cases they hear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of indigent men with diminished intelligence in the South in the 1960s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Bruce Jacob. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Abe Fortas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)