|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
2. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
3. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
4. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
5. Under the Betts rule, who is required to have an attorney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major points stem from revising the method of assigning attorneys who are not compensated?
2. What could be the reason that the Supreme Court Justices selected Fortas to represent Gideon?
3. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
4. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
5. How could Gideon vs. Wainwright overthrow the Betts vs. Brady decision that was enacted just 20 years prior?
6. What is State Judge Walter V. Schaefer's reasoning on why the right to an attorney is greater than all other rights?
7. What embarrassing statement does Jacob make in dialogue regarding Gideon representing someone else in court?
8. What is Justice Harlan's simple statement that overturns Betts vs. Brady?
9. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
10. What does John Hart Ely discover about Florida cases while doing research for Gideon's Supreme Court case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the story. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
Gideon's story unfolds in the early 1960s, a time when the ravages of World War II are not a very distant memory and change is happening in almost every aspect of American life. What effect did the time period in which Gideon lived help his case? Does Gideon understand his place in history now that he has changed court procedures in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Gideon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)