|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
2. Who typed Jacob's legal brief in the Gideon case?
3. How many people other than Jacob are on Jacob's law team in the Gideon case?
4. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
5. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the brief written by George D. Mentz of the Alabama Attorney General's office which supports Jacob's case?
2. What could be the reason that the Supreme Court Justices selected Fortas to represent Gideon?
3. Compare and contrast the legal resources for Jacob representing states' rights and Fortas representing just one man.
4. What is the author's reply to those who may question whether a case like Gideon's should be managed through legislation or allowed to proceed to the Supreme Court?
5. How do Fortas and Jacob differ in their perceptions of Supreme Court procedure?
6. How could Gideon vs. Wainwright overthrow the Betts vs. Brady decision that was enacted just 20 years prior?
7. What form of support does Jacob get to help him defend the state position in the trial?
8. What major points stem from revising the method of assigning attorneys who are not compensated?
9. What does Fortas believe would be the surest way to get assenting opinions from the Justices in Gideon's case?
10. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the story. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book GIDEON'S TRUMPET when Gideon is clearly not a musician? Expand your thinking and provide the best answer you can think of.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of Gideon's not being able to ever hold a job very long in his life yet having the tenacity to hand write pages and pages of his petition to the Supreme Court. What gave Gideon his inspiration to keep pushing forward? How would Gideon's life have been different if he had applied this same tenacity to making a decent living and caring for his family? Explain.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)