|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
2. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
3. Which law school does John Hart Ely attend?
4. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
5. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should present facts as opposed to ________________.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony of Gideon's not being able to ever hold a job very long in his life yet having the tenacity to hand write pages and pages of his petition to the Supreme Court. What gave Gideon his inspiration to keep pushing forward? How would Gideon's life have been different if he had applied this same tenacity to making a decent living and caring for his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Define the Betts vs. Brady ruling. Why was it essentially unchallenged for 20 years? What happened to American critical thought in the years 1942-1962 that made it possible for Gideon's petition to be heard at the Supreme Court level? What was happening in the culture of America that almost demanded that Gideon's petition be heard? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When reading Gideon's file, Abe Fortas is interested to know whether or not Gideon is a black man. Why would this have been an important fact? What was happening in the South in the 1960s that would have made Gideon's race a critical factor to his case?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)