|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gideon say he needs to get out of prison?
2. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
3. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
4. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
5. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
2. What change on the Supreme Court bench seems fortunate for Gideon's case?
3. Before hearing Gideon's case, what are the Justices aware of regarding many of the cases they hear?
4. Why was Turner a very good choice of attorney for Gideon?
5. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
6. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
7. What compensation does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case get?
8. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
9. What is the author's reply to those who may question whether a case like Gideon's should be managed through legislation or allowed to proceed to the Supreme Court?
10. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the Betts vs. Brady ruling. Why was it essentially unchallenged for 20 years? What happened to American critical thought in the years 1942-1962 that made it possible for Gideon's petition to be heard at the Supreme Court level? What was happening in the culture of America that almost demanded that Gideon's petition be heard? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Gideon's story unfolds in the early 1960s, a time when the ravages of World War II are not a very distant memory and change is happening in almost every aspect of American life. What effect did the time period in which Gideon lived help his case? Does Gideon understand his place in history now that he has changed court procedures in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of indigent men with diminished intelligence in the South in the 1960s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century men do not have?
This section contains 1,936 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)