|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
2. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
3. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
4. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
5. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
2. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
3. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
4. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
5. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
6. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
7. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
8. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
9. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
10. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of indigent men with diminished intelligence in the South in the 1960s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
There is a saying that "He who represents himself has a fool for a client." Clearly Gideon was set up for failure in trying to represent himself but what do you think of his methods? Was he on the right track? Was he intelligent enough to do a decent job with a little bit of guidance? Do you think Gideon thought he did a good job, at least before the verdict was read? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Abe Fortas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)