|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
2. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
3. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
4. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
5. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
2. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
3. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
4. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
5. What compensation does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case get?
6. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
7. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
8. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
9. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
10. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Gideon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
Essay Topic 2
There is a saying that "He who represents himself has a fool for a client." Clearly Gideon was set up for failure in trying to represent himself but what do you think of his methods? Was he on the right track? Was he intelligent enough to do a decent job with a little bit of guidance? Do you think Gideon thought he did a good job, at least before the verdict was read? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)