|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
2. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
3. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
4. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
5. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
2. What major points stem from revising the method of assigning attorneys who are not compensated?
3. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
4. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
5. What is the seeming difference between how the Supreme Court views indigence and how Gideon was treated in the lower court?
6. What behavior does Gideon exhibit that prompts the Panama City judge to tell him not to try to take over as his own attorney?
7. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
8. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
9. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
10. What is the author's reply to those who may question whether a case like Gideon's should be managed through legislation or allowed to proceed to the Supreme Court?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the story. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
GIDEON'S TRUMPET is a story about succeeding against heavy odds. Explain how fortunate Gideon is to have been alive in 1962 instead of 1942. What ruling had been in place in Florida that would have kept Gideon in prison for his full sentence? Is Gideon even aware of his good fortune? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
With what crime had Clarence Earl Gideon been charged? What prevented his being appointed an attorney? Wouldn't Gideon have qualified under the "special circumstances" clause? Explain.
This section contains 1,954 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)