|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
2. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
3. Federal law _____________ state law.
4. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
5. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
2. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
3. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
4. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
5. What is the seeming difference between how the Supreme Court views indigence and how Gideon was treated in the lower court?
6. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
7. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
8. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
9. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
10. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the story. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
In Gideon's Supreme Court case, Abe Fortas is assigned to represent him while Bruce Jacob represents the state's rights. Compare and contrast Abe Fortas and Bruce Jacob. What similarities do they share? How are they different? Do you think the Supreme Court Justices knew what they were doing when they appointed Fortas to Gideon's case? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When reading Gideon's file, Abe Fortas is interested to know whether or not Gideon is a black man. Why would this have been an important fact? What was happening in the South in the 1960s that would have made Gideon's race a critical factor to his case?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)