|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
2. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
3. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
4. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
5. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
2. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
3. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
4. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
5. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
6. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
7. What is the seeming difference between how the Supreme Court views indigence and how Gideon was treated in the lower court?
8. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
9. What is so unusual about Gideon's tenacity in preparing his petition to the Supreme Court?
10. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gideon changed the course of American law by petitioning for justice in the area of rights to an attorney. Who might be the next Gideon? Name two causes that are important in the United States today and how their passage would significantly alter the laws in America. What do you think the chances are of the causes passing and affecting change? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Gideon's story unfolds in the early 1960s, a time when the ravages of World War II are not a very distant memory and change is happening in almost every aspect of American life. What effect did the time period in which Gideon lived help his case? Does Gideon understand his place in history now that he has changed court procedures in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of W. Fred Turner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)