|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
2. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
3. What reason did the judge in Gideon's first trial not appoint an attorney?
4. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
5. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
2. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
3. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
4. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
5. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
6. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
7. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
8. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
9. What compensation does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case get?
10. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With what crime had Clarence Earl Gideon been charged? What prevented his being appointed an attorney? Wouldn't Gideon have qualified under the "special circumstances" clause? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
GIDEON'S TRUMPET is a story about succeeding against heavy odds. Explain how fortunate Gideon is to have been alive in 1962 instead of 1942. What ruling had been in place in Florida that would have kept Gideon in prison for his full sentence? Is Gideon even aware of his good fortune? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In Gideon's Supreme Court case, Abe Fortas is assigned to represent him while Bruce Jacob represents the state's rights. Compare and contrast Abe Fortas and Bruce Jacob. What similarities do they share? How are they different? Do you think the Supreme Court Justices knew what they were doing when they appointed Fortas to Gideon's case? Explain.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)