|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
2. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
3. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
4. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
5. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
2. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
3. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
4. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
5. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
6. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
7. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
8. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
9. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
10. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the story. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book GIDEON'S TRUMPET when Gideon is clearly not a musician? Expand your thinking and provide the best answer you can think of.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bruce Jacob. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)