|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
2. How many children does Gideon have?
3. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
4. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
5. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
2. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
3. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
4. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
5. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
6. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
7. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
8. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
9. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
10. What compensation does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With what crime had Clarence Earl Gideon been charged? What prevented his being appointed an attorney? Wouldn't Gideon have qualified under the "special circumstances" clause? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Gideon's life. How did Gideon have to adapt to a lonely childhood and youth? What effect did that have on his future relationships? Could his inability to manage relationships be part of the cause of his marital failures and relationships with his children? Explain the impact that childhood distress can have on an adult many years later.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bruce Jacob. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)