|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
2. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
3. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
4. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
5. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
2. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
3. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
4. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
5. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
6. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
7. What compensation does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case get?
8. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
9. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
10. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of indigent men with diminished intelligence in the South in the 1960s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Gideon changed the course of American law by petitioning for justice in the area of rights to an attorney. Who might be the next Gideon? Name two causes that are important in the United States today and how their passage would significantly alter the laws in America. What do you think the chances are of the causes passing and affecting change? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book GIDEON'S TRUMPET when Gideon is clearly not a musician? Expand your thinking and provide the best answer you can think of.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)