Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
2. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
3. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
4. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
5. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behavior does Gideon exhibit that prompts the Panama City judge to tell him not to try to take over as his own attorney?
2. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
3. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
4. Before hearing Gideon's case, what are the Justices aware of regarding many of the cases they hear?
5. What form of support does Jacob get to help him defend the state position in the trial?
6. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
7. What is Justice Black's statement about Betts when he offers the Supreme Court opinion?
8. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
9. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
10. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
Essay Topic 1
When reading Gideon's file, Abe Fortas is interested to know whether or not Gideon is a black man. Why would this have been an important fact? What was happening in the South in the 1960s that would have made Gideon's race a critical factor to his case?
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the book? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view? Explain how the book would have changed if it had been written by one of the attorneys or even Gideon himself.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bruce Jacob. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What is his primary motivation?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)