|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gideon's job in prison?
2. How old was Gideon when his father died?
3. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Leave in a cab.
(b) Use a pay phone.
(c) Walk down the street.
(d) All of these.
4. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
5. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(a) Shoe factory.
(d) Hardware store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
2. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
3. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
4. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
5. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
2. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
3. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
4. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
5. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
6. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
7. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
8. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
9. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
10. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)