|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
2. How old was Gideon when his father died?
3. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
4. In what city in Florida did Gideon reside?
(c) Panama City.
5. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
2. What is covered in the issue of federalism?
3. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
4. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
5. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
2. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
3. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
4. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
5. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
6. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
7. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
8. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
9. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
10. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)