|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
(a) Grand Theft Auto.
(b) Statutory Rape.
(d) Petty larceny.
2. How old is Gideon?
3. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
4. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
(a) A series of phone interviews with Gideon.
(b) A transcript of Gideon's previous trial.
(c) A meeting with Gideon.
(d) A big raise.
5. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
(a) Abe Fortas.
(b) Abe Rothstein.
(c) Abe Vigoda.
(d) Abe Fourman.
Short Answer Questions
1. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
2. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
3. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
4. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
5. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
2. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
3. What is so unusual about Gideon's tenacity in preparing his petition to the Supreme Court?
4. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
5. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
6. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
7. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
8. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
9. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
10. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)