|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
(a) The rules of Betts vs. Brady.
(b) He had too many prior convictions.
(c) He was clearly guilty.
(d) He was insane.
2. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) He will be a free man.
(b) All state courts will be impacted.
(c) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
(d) It will be even harder to appeal.
3. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Ruth Babineaux.
(b) Babs Devereaux.
(c) Yvette Mimieux.
(d) Tonya Robichaux.
4. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
(a) The U.S. Supreme Court.
(b) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The Florida Appellate Court.
(d) The NAACP.
5. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(b) Hardware store.
(c) Shoe factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
2. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
3. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
4. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
5. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gideon believe he is protected by the double jeopardy clause and what does he then think of his chances of acquittal in Panama City?
2. What does John Hart Ely discover about Florida cases while doing research for Gideon's Supreme Court case?
3. Who is Bruce Robert Jacob and what is his role in Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
4. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
5. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
6. Why was Turner a very good choice of attorney for Gideon?
7. What is the premise of the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942?
8. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
9. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
10. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)