|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
(a) Abe Vigoda.
(b) Abe Rothstein.
(c) Abe Fortas.
(d) Abe Fourman.
2. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
3. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
(b) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(c) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(d) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
4. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
(c) Legal expert.
5. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
(a) A flat fee based on the scope of the trial.
(b) 20% of the damages awarded.
(c) Nothing but his name attached to a Supreme Court case.
(d) A monthly retainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
2. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
3. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
4. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
5. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
2. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
3. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
4. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
5. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
6. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
7. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
8. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
9. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
10. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)