|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gideon writes a letter of ____________ pages to Abe Fortas to tell him what really happened.
2. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(b) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
(c) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
(d) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
3. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
4. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
5. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Use a pay phone.
(b) Walk down the street.
(c) All of these.
(d) Leave in a cab.
Short Answer Questions
1. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
2. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
3. The Supreme Court had ruled that a person is not criminally responsible for his actions if he ______________________.
4. How old was Gideon when his father died?
5. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
2. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
3. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
4. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
5. What is the seeming difference between how the Supreme Court views indigence and how Gideon was treated in the lower court?
6. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
7. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
8. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
9. What is so unusual about Gideon's tenacity in preparing his petition to the Supreme Court?
10. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)