|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
(a) Hourly billing.
(b) Food and entertainment.
(c) Hotel accommodations.
(d) Travel to and from Washington D.C.
2. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To make arrangements for his children.
(b) To get a job.
(c) To have surgery.
(d) To show his innocence.
3. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
(a) Because of Gideon's criminal record.
(b) Because of Gideon's wife's criminal record.
(c) Because welfare was not established yet.
(d) Because Gideon makes too much money.
4. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Yvette Mimieux.
(b) Ruth Babineaux.
(c) Babs Devereaux.
(d) Tonya Robichaux.
5. Which of the following is NOT an area in which Abe Fortas is familiar?
(a) U.S. Presidents.
(b) U.S. Government.
(c) Tax law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
2. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
3. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
4. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
5. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
2. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
3. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
4. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
5. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
6. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
7. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
8. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
9. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
10. What compensation does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case get?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)