|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
(a) Meals during its service.
(b) Any instructions for determining guilt.
(c) Stipends for its service.
(d) Hotel accommodations during its service.
2. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
(a) The U.S. Supreme Court.
(b) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The Florida Appellate Court.
(d) The NAACP.
3. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
(a) Probation and time served.
(b) Maximum of five years in prison.
(c) Minimum of five years in prison.
(d) A life sentence.
4. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
(a) He had a junior attorney at his trial.
(b) He had to wait six months before going to trial.
(c) He had no trial before going to prison.
(d) He had no attorney at his trial.
5. What is Gideon's job in prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
2. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
3. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
4. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
5. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
2. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
3. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
4. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
5. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
6. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
7. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
8. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
9. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
10. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)