|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A knife.
(c) A pizza.
(d) A gun.
2. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
(a) Because Gideon makes too much money.
(b) Because of Gideon's criminal record.
(c) Because of Gideon's wife's criminal record.
(d) Because welfare was not established yet.
3. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) It will be even harder to appeal.
(b) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
(c) All state courts will be impacted.
(d) He will be a free man.
4. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
(a) Hourly billing.
(b) Hotel accommodations.
(c) Food and entertainment.
(d) Travel to and from Washington D.C.
5. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) Ten Law Clerks.
(b) One legal secretary.
(c) No one.
(d) The U.S. Attorney General.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
2. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
3. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
4. How old was Gideon when his father died?
5. Which of the following falls into the category of "special circumstances" for those on trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
2. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
3. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
4. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
5. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
6. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
7. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
8. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
9. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
10. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)