|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(a) New York.
(b) Washington D.C.
2. How many children does Gideon have?
(b) One and three stepchildren.
(c) Three and a stepdaughter.
(d) Two and two stepchildren.
3. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
(a) Abe Vigoda.
(b) Abe Fortas.
(c) Abe Fourman.
(d) Abe Rothstein.
4. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
(a) If Cook had an arrest record.
(b) If Cook had a job.
(c) If Cook had a grudge against Gideon.
(d) Why Cook was on the street at that time of the morning.
5. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(a) Law clerks.
(c) Personal assistant.
(d) Legal secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
2. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
3. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
4. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
5. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
2. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
3. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
4. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
5. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
6. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
7. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
8. What is the seeming difference between how the Supreme Court views indigence and how Gideon was treated in the lower court?
9. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
10. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)