Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(b) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
(c) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(d) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
2. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
3. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(c) Shoe factory.
(d) Hardware store.
4. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
(a) Righteous anger.
(b) Being high.
5. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To have surgery.
(b) To make arrangements for his children.
(c) To get a job.
(d) To show his innocence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
2. What is covered in the issue of federalism?
3. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
4. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
5. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behavior does Gideon exhibit that prompts the Panama City judge to tell him not to try to take over as his own attorney?
2. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
3. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
4. Before hearing Gideon's case, what are the Justices aware of regarding many of the cases they hear?
5. What form of support does Jacob get to help him defend the state position in the trial?
6. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
7. What is Justice Black's statement about Betts when he offers the Supreme Court opinion?
8. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
9. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
10. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)