|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
2. Is Gideon guaranteed an attorney during a Supreme Court trial?
(b) Yes, if he can pay a retainer.
3. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
(b) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(c) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(d) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
4. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
(a) A monthly retainer.
(b) Nothing but his name attached to a Supreme Court case.
(c) A flat fee based on the scope of the trial.
(d) 20% of the damages awarded.
5. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
(a) Florida rules.
(b) petty larceny.
(c) Gideon himself.
(d) Florida prisons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
2. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
3. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
4. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
5. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
2. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
3. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
4. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
5. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
6. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
7. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
8. What is the seeming difference between how the Supreme Court views indigence and how Gideon was treated in the lower court?
9. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
10. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)