|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Supreme Court had ruled that a person is not criminally responsible for his actions if he ______________________.
(a) Is going through a divorce.
(b) Was taking certain medications.
(c) Had a hard childhood.
(d) Suffers a mental disease.
2. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A gun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pizza.
3. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) April 21, 1963.
(b) May 25, 1963.
(c) January 15, 1966.
(d) November 22, 1963.
4. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
(a) To put in a savings account for him.
(b) To pay for legal fees.
(c) They lost their house in the Great Depression.
(d) To buy food for his brothers and sisters.
5. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) He has a right to question the jury.
(b) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
(c) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(d) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
Short Answer Questions
1. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
2. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
3. Gideon believes that he was denied ______________ during a legal trial.
4. What is Gideon's job in prison?
5. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
2. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
3. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
4. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
5. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
6. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
7. What is so unusual about Gideon's tenacity in preparing his petition to the Supreme Court?
8. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
9. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
10. What is Gideon's life like after he marries in 1955?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)