|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
2. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
(a) The U.S. Supreme Court.
(b) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The NAACP.
(d) The Florida Appellate Court.
3. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
(a) Venice, Florida.
(b) Panama City, Florida.
(c) Hollywood, Florida.
(d) Orlando, Florida.
4. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) March 24, 1960.
(b) February 8, 1962.
(c) February 14, 1969.
(d) December 24, 1961.
5. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
(a) The President's ideas.
(b) The Attorney General's ideas.
(c) The Constitution's ideals.
(d) Their own ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abe Fortas had previously argued the case that expanded the Supreme Court's ruling on ____________.
2. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
3. Gideon believes that he was denied ______________ during a legal trial.
4. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
5. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
2. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
3. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
4. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
5. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
6. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
7. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
8. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
9. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
10. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)