|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Tonya Robichaux.
(b) Yvette Mimieux.
(c) Babs Devereaux.
(d) Ruth Babineaux.
2. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(a) Hardware store.
(b) Shoe factory.
3. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
4. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
(a) Are we not bound to provide legal justice for all men in this country?
(b) Why should the U.S. Supreme Court have to get involved with a petty larceny case?
(c) Should this Court's holding in Betts vs. Brady, 316 U.S. 455, be reconsiderd?
(d) How many more men like Clarence Earl Gideon are sitting in America's prisons?
5. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
(a) Is trying to learn the best he can.
(b) But he will look them up if it takes forever.
(c) Has good intentions.
(d) Knows there are many of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
2. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
3. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
4. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
5. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
2. Why was Turner a very good choice of attorney for Gideon?
3. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
4. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
5. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
6. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
7. What is Justice Harlan's simple statement that overturns Betts vs. Brady?
8. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
9. What are a couple reasons that the Supreme Court works so well in terms of independent thinking?
10. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)