|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
(a) Grand Theft Auto.
(b) Statutory Rape.
(c) Petty larceny.
2. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(b) Personal assistant.
(c) Legal secretary.
(d) Law clerks.
3. What is Gideon's job in prison?
4. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) The U.S. Attorney General.
(b) No one.
(c) One legal secretary.
(d) Ten Law Clerks.
5. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
(a) His house.
(b) His mind.
(c) His job.
(d) Custody of his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
2. Which of the following is NOT an area in which Abe Fortas is familiar?
3. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
4. What reason did the judge in Gideon's first trial not appoint an attorney?
5. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
2. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
3. What is so unusual about Gideon's tenacity in preparing his petition to the Supreme Court?
4. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
5. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
6. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
7. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
8. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
9. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
10. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)