|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
(a) Linen letterhead.
(b) Prison forms.
(c) Regular typing paper.
(d) Prison paper.
2. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) May 25, 1963.
(b) January 15, 1966.
(c) April 21, 1963.
(d) November 22, 1963.
3. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
(a) To put in a savings account for him.
(b) To pay for legal fees.
(c) They lost their house in the Great Depression.
(d) To buy food for his brothers and sisters.
4. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
(a) The Attorney General.
(b) The Vice President.
(c) Any other judge in the country.
(d) The President.
5. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
2. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
3. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
4. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
5. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
2. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
3. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
4. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
5. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
6. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
7. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
8. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
9. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
10. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)