|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
(a) Tends bar.
(c) Works at a gas station.
(d) Cleans a school.
2. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) It will be even harder to appeal.
(b) All state courts will be impacted.
(c) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
(d) He will be a free man.
3. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) March 24, 1960.
(b) February 8, 1962.
(c) February 14, 1969.
(d) December 24, 1961.
4. Which of the following is NOT an area in which Abe Fortas is familiar?
(a) U.S. Government.
(c) Tax law.
(d) U.S. Presidents.
5. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
(a) If Cook had an arrest record.
(b) If Cook had a job.
(c) Why Cook was on the street at that time of the morning.
(d) If Cook had a grudge against Gideon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
2. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
3. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
4. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
5. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
2. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
3. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
4. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
5. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
6. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
7. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
8. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
9. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
10. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)