|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gideon say he needs to get out of prison?
(a) To care for his children.
(b) To get a good job.
(c) To continue his education.
(d) To care for his mother.
2. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
3. How old was Gideon when his father died?
4. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had gallbladder surgery.
(b) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
(c) He was in a car accident.
(d) He had pneumonia.
5. Gideon writes a letter of ____________ pages to Abe Fortas to tell him what really happened.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
2. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
3. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
4. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
5. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
2. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
3. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
4. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
5. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
6. What is Gideon's mood as he heads into his Supreme Court trial?
7. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
8. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
9. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
10. How many Supreme Court Justices are there and how large is their support staff?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)