|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
2. Why does Gideon say he needs to get out of prison?
(a) To care for his children.
(b) To care for his mother.
(c) To continue his education.
(d) To get a good job.
3. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) It will be even harder to appeal.
(b) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
(c) All state courts will be impacted.
(d) He will be a free man.
4. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) November 22, 1963.
(b) January 15, 1966.
(c) April 21, 1963.
(d) May 25, 1963.
5. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
2. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
3. What is Gideon's job in prison?
4. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
5. Which of the following falls into the category of "special circumstances" for those on trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
2. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
3. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
4. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
5. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
6. What embarrassing statement does Jacob make in dialogue regarding Gideon representing someone else in court?
7. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
8. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
9. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
10. How does Turner shoot down the prosecution's chief witness, Henry Cook?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)