|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) He has a right to question the jury.
(b) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
(c) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(d) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
2. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
(a) Cleans a school.
(b) Tends bar.
(d) Works at a gas station.
3. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To have surgery.
(b) To show his innocence.
(c) To make arrangements for his children.
(d) To get a job.
4. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is handwritten.
(b) It exceeds the page count limit.
(c) It is on audio tape.
(d) It is sent via email.
5. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) February 14, 1969.
(b) December 24, 1961.
(c) February 8, 1962.
(d) March 24, 1960.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
2. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
3. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
4. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
5. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
2. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
3. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
4. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
5. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
6. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
7. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
8. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
9. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
10. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)