|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
2. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
(a) A copy of the trial brief.
(b) A copy of the trial transcript.
(c) A copy of the opposing response.
(d) A copy of the request and any response.
3. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
(a) His house.
(b) His mind.
(c) His job.
(d) Custody of his children.
4. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
(a) Orlando, Florida.
(b) Hollywood, Florida.
(c) Venice, Florida.
(d) Panama City, Florida.
5. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
(a) The Fourteenth Amendment.
(b) The Judge's Bill of 1925.
(c) The NAACP Bill.
(d) The NATO Treaty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
2. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
3. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
4. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
5. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gideon have to go back on trial after the success of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
2. Compare and contrast the legal resources for Jacob representing states' rights and Fortas representing just one man.
3. What are a couple reasons that the Supreme Court works so well in terms of independent thinking?
4. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
5. What could be the reason that the Supreme Court Justices selected Fortas to represent Gideon?
6. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
7. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
8. Why was Turner a very good choice of attorney for Gideon?
9. What behavior does Gideon exhibit that prompts the Panama City judge to tell him not to try to take over as his own attorney?
10. What form of support does Jacob get to help him defend the state position in the trial?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)