|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
(c) Legal expert.
2. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(b) Hardware store.
(d) Shoe factory.
3. Gideon believes that he was denied ______________ during a legal trial.
(a) a phone call.
(c) due process.
4. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
(a) He had to wait six months before going to trial.
(b) He had no attorney at his trial.
(c) He had no trial before going to prison.
(d) He had a junior attorney at his trial.
5. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) It will be even harder to appeal.
(b) He will be a free man.
(c) All state courts will be impacted.
(d) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
2. Which of the following falls into the category of "special circumstances" for those on trial?
3. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
4. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
5. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
2. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
3. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
4. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
5. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
6. Do the Supreme Court Justices get to decide which cases they will hear?
7. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
8. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
9. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
10. For what is Abe Fortas already known regarding influencing the Supreme Court to expand a certain ruling?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)