|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
2. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
3. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
(a) Truck driving.
(b) Car maintenance.
(c) Electrical wiring.
4. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) March 24, 1960.
(b) February 8, 1962.
(c) February 14, 1969.
(d) December 24, 1961.
5. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is sent via email.
(b) It is on audio tape.
(c) It is handwritten.
(d) It exceeds the page count limit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
2. What prior case had established the rules for assigning an attorney to a defendant.
3. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
4. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
5. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distinction did Justice Jackson once make regarding the infallibility of Supreme Court decision?
2. What incriminating testimony had been provided by the prosecution's witness, Henry Cook, during Gideon's criminal trial?
3. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
4. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
5. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
6. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
7. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
8. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
9. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
10. For what crime is Gideon serving time in a Florida prison?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)