|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
(a) He had a junior attorney at his trial.
(b) He had to wait six months before going to trial.
(c) He had no trial before going to prison.
(d) He had no attorney at his trial.
2. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
(a) New England.
(b) West Coast.
3. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
(a) A copy of the opposing response.
(b) A copy of the trial transcript.
(c) A copy of the request and any response.
(d) A copy of the trial brief.
4. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
(a) The Attorney General.
(b) Any other judge in the country.
(c) The Vice President.
(d) The President.
5. Why did Gideon never move his family out of Panama City?
(a) He never had the money.
(b) They didn't want to leave their school.
(c) They had family in the area.
(d) His wife didn't want to move.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
2. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
3. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
4. What is Gideon's job in prison?
5. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What major inadequacies does Fortas discover in the transcripts of Gideon's criminal trial?
2. What is meant by federalism and how could Gideon's Supreme Court case impact it?
3. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
4. What is the premise of GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
5. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
6. What is the famous 1940s case whose precedent denied Gideon an attorney at his criminal trial?
7. Describe some of Gideon's bad childhood experiences.
8. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
9. What is so unusual about Gideon's tenacity in preparing his petition to the Supreme Court?
10. What compensation does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case get?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)