|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New York.
2. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is on audio tape.
(b) It is sent via email.
(c) It exceeds the page count limit.
(d) It is handwritten.
3. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
(a) They are inadequate.
(b) They are better than he imagined.
(c) They do not exist.
(d) They are excellent.
4. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
(a) A transcript of Gideon's previous trial.
(b) A big raise.
(c) A series of phone interviews with Gideon.
(d) A meeting with Gideon.
5. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
(a) To pay for legal fees.
(b) To buy food for his brothers and sisters.
(c) To put in a savings account for him.
(d) They lost their house in the Great Depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
2. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
3. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
4. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
5. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the seeming difference between how the Supreme Court views indigence and how Gideon was treated in the lower court?
2. What kind of power do the Supreme Court Justices have and how do some of them feel about it?
3. Why is it relevant that Fortas wants to know if Gideon is a Negro?
4. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
5. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
6. How does Fortas get the information he needs about Gideon's previous trial?
7. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
8. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
9. What sentence does Gideon receive for the petty larceny charge?
10. What role has Gideon assumed while in prison regarding helping some of the other inmates?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)