|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
(a) Abe Rothstein.
(b) Abe Vigoda.
(c) Abe Fourman.
(d) Abe Fortas.
2. Federal law _____________ state law.
(c) is harsher than.
(d) is more lenient than.
3. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
4. Why did Gideon never move his family out of Panama City?
(a) He never had the money.
(b) They had family in the area.
(c) His wife didn't want to move.
(d) They didn't want to leave their school.
5. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
(a) Legal expert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
2. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
3. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
4. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
5. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the famous case by which assigning attorneys to defendants is determined?
2. What is the nature of Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
3. What does Fortas discover in Gideon's file regarding how he questioned witnesses and how an attorney would have been better able to manage?
4. What is so unusual about Gideon's tenacity in preparing his petition to the Supreme Court?
5. What is the typical course for a case to reach the Supreme Court?
6. What issue has been on the minds of the Justices lately that gives Gideon's petition some extra attention?
7. What are Gideon's intentions for his life should he be released from prison?
8. How does Fortas learn more about Gideon during the months after he is appointed to represent him?
9. Why is Gideon allowed an attorney for his Supreme Court case and who is the man appointed to represent him?
10. What is the process of a Supreme Court petition?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)