|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
(a) Carney vs. Collins.
(b) Carnley vs. Cochran.
(c) Cromwell vs. Cooley.
(d) Cronin vs. Cochran.
2. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General George Patton.
(b) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(c) General Johnson Hall.
(d) General Gerald A. Berlin.
3. Which of the following happens to legal services when appointed attorneys are not compensated?
(a) All of these.
(b) They are perfunctory.
(c) They are inept.
(d) They are hasty.
4. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
(a) John Hardeson.
(b) James Milligan.
(c) Michael Collins.
(d) John Hart Ely.
5. What does Abe Fortas think would be the best way for the Justices to understand Gideon's case?
(a) They should listen to interviews of inmates.
(b) They should go to criminal court and watch a defendant try to defend himself.
(c) They should read Gideon's trial transcripts.
(d) They should talk to local judges.
6. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
7. Which of the following is the consensus regarding appointed attorneys?
(a) Governmental funding will be required.
(b) No one attorney should withstand the continuing burden.
(c) An unpaid lawyer provides little or no real legal advice.
(d) All of these?
8. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) An hourly fee.
(b) A set fee.
(c) A retainer.
9. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Better compensation.
(b) Knowledge of courts.
(c) Knowledge of judges.
(d) Familiarity with areas.
10. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
(a) Mandatory attorney representation.
(b) Another appellate court.
(c) A public defender's office.
(d) A lottery to decide who takes a case.
11. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Arthur J. Goldberg.
(b) John Marshall Harlan.
(c) Daniel Ellsberg.
(d) Earl Warren.
12. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
13. Who was the director of the federal penitentiary system?
(a) John L. Bennett.
(b) James V. Bennett.
(c) James A. Hall.
(d) Johnson A. Bennett.
14. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
(a) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(b) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(c) Hope springs eternal.
(d) The early bird catches the worm.
15. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
(a) An overloaded local court system.
(b) A poor State Court system.
(c) A defendant's lack of a defense attorney.
(d) Unskilled judges in the local courts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a legal document submitted to the Supreme Court from anyone who may have something helpful to add to a case?
2. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
3. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
4. What is the case in which six black boys were accused of rape of two white girls in 1932?
5. Which of the following do the Supreme Court Justices have?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)