Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
(a) Under the special circumstances rule.
(b) Because this is America.
(c) Until proven guilty.
(d) Whether they wanted one or not.
2. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) He would have voted in favor of it.
(b) He declined to comment.
(c) He would not have voted for it.
(d) He thought it was a step back for America.
3. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
(a) Mass filing of appeals from current prisoners.
(b) Media interviews would overwhelm them.
(c) Riots in prisons all across America.
(d) Law schools would have to change curriculum.
4. Why was the Betts case able to prevail in 1942?
(a) People were more concerned about going to war.
(b) There was no Supreme Court then.
(c) The Civil Rights Law was not voted in.
(d) America wasn't ready for the tenets of Gideon vs. Wainwright at that time.
5. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
(a) James Milligan.
(b) John Hart Ely.
(c) Michael Collins.
(d) John Hardeson.
6. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(a) Law books.
7. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) Robert F. Kennedy.
(c) Daniel Ellsberg.
(d) Robert McNamara.
8. Which law school does John Hart Ely attend?
9. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The Democratic Party.
(c) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(d) The Harvard Law School.
10. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
(a) All of these.
(b) He is impressed by the formality of the crier who opens the proceedings.
(c) He is struck by the pomp of the building.
(d) He spends time worrying about minor points.
11. What is the formal name of Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Gideon vs. Cochran.
(b) Gideon vs. The United States of America.
(c) Gideon vs. The State of Florida.
(d) Gideon vs. Wainwright.
12. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
13. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General Johnson Hall.
(b) General Gerald A. Berlin.
(c) General George Patton.
(d) General Dwight Eisenhower.
14. What "stupid answer" does Jacob give in response to a Justice?
(a) A judge would not object to a lay person representing someone else.
(b) The Justices have not done their due diligence in the case.
(c) He did not realize that he would be questioned on some of these issues.
(d) Gideon did the crime and he has to do the time.
15. Who is the young lawyer assigned to defend the state's position in Gideon's case?
(a) Bruce Robert Jacob.
(b) Clayton Hall.
(c) Robert Bruce.
(d) Michael Morris.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
2. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
3. How many people other than Jacob are on Jacob's law team in the Gideon case?
4. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
5. What is the case in which six black boys were accused of rape of two white girls in 1932?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)