|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
2. What is the formal name of Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Gideon vs. The United States of America.
(b) Gideon vs. Wainwright.
(c) Gideon vs. Cochran.
(d) Gideon vs. The State of Florida.
3. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
(a) The right to practice religion.
(b) The right to an attorney.
(c) The right to bear arms.
(d) The right of free speech.
4. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) An hourly fee.
(c) A retainer.
(d) A set fee.
5. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Knowledge of courts.
(b) Better compensation.
(c) Knowledge of judges.
(d) Familiarity with areas.
6. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) He would have voted in favor of it.
(b) He would not have voted for it.
(c) He declined to comment.
(d) He thought it was a step back for America.
7. Why does the right to an attorney issue become even greater on the state level?
(a) There are more indigent defendants.
(b) There are judges who want to rule on a case-by-case basis.
(c) The states resist the change.
(d) There are more intellectually challenged defendants.
8. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) Robert F. Kennedy.
(c) Robert McNamara.
(d) Daniel Ellsberg.
9. Immediately following Gideon's case, how many cases does the Supreme Court send back to the Florida State Supreme Court ordering it to reconsider those cases in light of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
10. Which of the following is true of Gideon's case?
(a) A senior partner of the firm did the majority of the writing for the brief.
(b) All of these.
(c) He had a large, established firm on his side.
(d) Expensive attorneys spent many hours in research.
11. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) General Gerald A. Berlin.
(c) General George Patton.
(d) General Johnson Hall.
12. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Farris Bryant.
(b) Frank Bryan.
(c) Fess Barkley.
(d) Ferris Buller.
13. How many people other than Jacob are on Jacob's law team in the Gideon case?
14. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
15. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can a lay person not be expected to know?
2. Which of the following is the consensus regarding appointed attorneys?
3. Under the Betts rule, who is required to have an attorney?
4. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
5. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)