|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Daniel Ellsberg.
(b) Earl Warren.
(c) Arthur J. Goldberg.
(d) John Marshall Harlan.
2. Who typed Jacob's legal brief in the Gideon case?
(a) Law clerk.
(b) Personal assistant.
(c) Legal secretary.
(d) Jacob's wife.
3. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
4. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
5. Who is the young lawyer assigned to defend the state's position in Gideon's case?
(a) Michael Morris.
(b) Robert Bruce.
(c) Clayton Hall.
(d) Bruce Robert Jacob.
6. When the Supreme Court ruled that federal defendants must have lawyers, a ________________ took over in place of any official body creating and funding a system that would work.
(a) State committee.
(d) Task force.
7. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
(b) Retarded people.
(d) Lifetime criminals.
8. Prior to Gideons' Supreme Court case, how many of the nine Justices does Fortas think will rule in his favor?
9. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
(b) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
(c) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
(d) He cannot afford one.
10. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
(a) Mandatory attorney representation.
(b) A lottery to decide who takes a case.
(c) Another appellate court.
(d) A public defender's office.
11. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
(a) Robert McNamara.
(b) Daniel Ellsberg.
(c) Robert F. Kennedy.
(d) Lyndon Johnson.
12. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
(c) Accused people.
(d) Felony defendants.
13. What is the formal name of Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Gideon vs. The State of Florida.
(b) Gideon vs. Cochran.
(c) Gideon vs. The United States of America.
(d) Gideon vs. Wainwright.
14. Who replaces Justice Frankfurter when he retires?
(a) Justice Avery Gillette.
(b) Justice Alan Ginsburg.
(c) Justice Arthur Goldman.
(d) Justice Arthur Goldberg.
15. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Ferris Buller.
(b) Farris Bryant.
(c) Frank Bryan.
(d) Fess Barkley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alabama's brief declares that ___________________ is more likely to be acquitted.
2. Who does George Mantz say is looking out for defendants with attorneys?
3. Which of the following is true regarding Supreme Court Justices?
4. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
5. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)