|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Immediately following Gideon's case, how many cases does the Supreme Court send back to the Florida State Supreme Court ordering it to reconsider those cases in light of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
2. Why does the right to an attorney issue become even greater on the state level?
(a) There are more indigent defendants.
(b) There are more intellectually challenged defendants.
(c) There are judges who want to rule on a case-by-case basis.
(d) The states resist the change.
3. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
(d) In effect for a year.
4. Which of the following does the Fourteenth Amendment address?
(a) All of these.
5. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Farris Bryant.
(b) Ferris Buller.
(c) Fess Barkley.
(d) Frank Bryan.
6. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) A set fee.
(b) An hourly fee.
(c) A retainer.
7. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He cannot afford one.
(b) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
(c) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
(d) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
8. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Familiarity with areas.
(b) Knowledge of courts.
(c) Better compensation.
(d) Knowledge of judges.
9. What is the case in which six black boys were accused of rape of two white girls in 1932?
(a) The Missouri Case.
(b) The Alabama Case.
(c) The Petersborough Case.
(d) The Scotsboro Case.
10. Prior to Gideons' Supreme Court case, how many of the nine Justices does Fortas think will rule in his favor?
11. Who does George Mantz say is looking out for defendants with attorneys?
(a) The Supreme Court.
(b) The judge.
(c) The state.
(d) The defendant.
12. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The Harvard Law School.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The NAACP.
13. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
(a) The early bird catches the worm.
(b) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(c) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(d) Hope springs eternal.
14. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
(a) He is impressed by the formality of the crier who opens the proceedings.
(b) All of these.
(c) He spends time worrying about minor points.
(d) He is struck by the pomp of the building.
15. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Daniel Ellsberg.
(b) Arthur J. Goldberg.
(c) Earl Warren.
(d) John Marshall Harlan.
Short Answer Questions
1. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
2. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
3. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
4. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
5. Which of the following do the Supreme Court Justices have?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)