|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which law school does John Hart Ely attend?
2. In most cases the majority of the work falls on _________________.
(a) The defendant.
(b) The prosecutor's office.
(c) The defense attorney.
(d) The Attorney General.
3. What is a legal document submitted to the Supreme Court from anyone who may have something helpful to add to a case?
(a) Federal Affiliation.
(b) Amicus Curiae.
(c) Good Neighbor.
4. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should present facts as opposed to ________________.
(a) Lofty ideas.
5. Who is the young lawyer assigned to defend the state's position in Gideon's case?
(a) Clayton Hall.
(b) Bruce Robert Jacob.
(c) Robert Bruce.
(d) Michael Morris.
6. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Better compensation.
(b) Knowledge of courts.
(c) Familiarity with areas.
(d) Knowledge of judges.
7. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
(a) Felony defendants.
(d) Accused people.
8. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
9. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
10. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
(a) In effect for a year.
11. What do some attorneys consider oral arguments to be?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) A formality.
(c) A nuisance.
(d) An imperative.
12. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) A retainer.
(b) An hourly fee.
(d) A set fee.
13. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(c) Law books.
14. Which of the following is the consensus regarding appointed attorneys?
(a) An unpaid lawyer provides little or no real legal advice.
(b) All of these?
(c) No one attorney should withstand the continuing burden.
(d) Governmental funding will be required.
15. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
(a) Mississippi and Alabama.
(b) Tennessee and South Carolina.
(c) Alabama and North Carolina.
(d) Georgia and North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long are Supreme Court Justices on the bench?
2. Most prisoners currently jailed without the benefit of an attorney do not have which of the following characteristics that Gideon possesses?
3. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
4. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
5. How does Gideon describe Fortas' legal brief about the case?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)