|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the Fourteenth Amendment address?
(d) All of these.
2. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
(a) Mississippi and Alabama.
(b) Georgia and North Carolina.
(c) Tennessee and South Carolina.
(d) Alabama and North Carolina.
3. How many people other than Jacob are on Jacob's law team in the Gideon case?
4. When the Supreme Court ruled that federal defendants must have lawyers, a ________________ took over in place of any official body creating and funding a system that would work.
(b) State committee.
(c) Task force.
5. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
6. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
7. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
(a) A public defender's office.
(b) Mandatory attorney representation.
(c) A lottery to decide who takes a case.
(d) Another appellate court.
8. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General Johnson Hall.
(b) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(c) General George Patton.
(d) General Gerald A. Berlin.
9. Why does the right to an attorney issue become even greater on the state level?
(a) There are judges who want to rule on a case-by-case basis.
(b) The states resist the change.
(c) There are more indigent defendants.
(d) There are more intellectually challenged defendants.
10. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
(a) Robert McNamara.
(b) Robert F. Kennedy.
(c) Daniel Ellsberg.
(d) Lyndon Johnson.
11. What is the case in which six black boys were accused of rape of two white girls in 1932?
(a) The Alabama Case.
(b) The Petersborough Case.
(c) The Missouri Case.
(d) The Scotsboro Case.
12. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Familiarity with areas.
(b) Knowledge of judges.
(c) Better compensation.
(d) Knowledge of courts.
13. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
(a) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(b) Hope springs eternal.
(c) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(d) The early bird catches the worm.
14. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
(a) John Hardeson.
(b) Michael Collins.
(c) John Hart Ely.
(d) James Milligan.
15. Alabama's brief declares that ___________________ is more likely to be acquitted.
(a) A first-time offender.
(b) An indigent without counsel.
(c) An indigent with counsel.
(d) A retarded person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
2. Which of the following do the Supreme Court Justices have?
3. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
4. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
5. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)