|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most prisoners currently jailed without the benefit of an attorney do not have which of the following characteristics that Gideon possesses?
(b) Educational level.
(d) All of these.
2. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
(a) Unskilled judges in the local courts.
(b) An overloaded local court system.
(c) A poor State Court system.
(d) A defendant's lack of a defense attorney.
3. What do some attorneys consider oral arguments to be?
(a) An imperative.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) A formality.
(d) A nuisance.
4. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
(a) Louie L. Wainwright.
(b) Harold Milligan.
(c) Marvellas Cooke.
(d) Marvin Edelman.
5. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
6. How does Gideon describe Fortas' legal brief about the case?
(a) Brilliant document.
(b) Truly inspiring work.
(c) A masterpiece.
(d) A Godsend.
7. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
(a) The right to an attorney.
(b) The right of free speech.
(c) The right to bear arms.
(d) The right to practice religion.
8. Which of the following is an indigent person unable to afford that a rich defendant can?
(a) Other defense methods.
(b) All of these.
(c) Psychiatric evaluations.
9. Who was the director of the federal penitentiary system?
(a) James A. Hall.
(b) John L. Bennett.
(c) James V. Bennett.
(d) Johnson A. Bennett.
10. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
(a) Hope springs eternal.
(b) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(c) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(d) The early bird catches the worm.
11. Alabama's brief declares that ___________________ is more likely to be acquitted.
(a) A first-time offender.
(b) An indigent without counsel.
(c) A retarded person.
(d) An indigent with counsel.
12. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
(b) Accused people.
(d) Felony defendants.
13. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
14. Attorneys should view questions as _______________________.
(a) Formalities to be endured.
(b) Necessary evils.
(c) Learning experiences.
(d) Opportunities to persuade.
15. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
(a) He is struck by the pomp of the building.
(b) He is impressed by the formality of the crier who opens the proceedings.
(c) All of these.
(d) He spends time worrying about minor points.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Fourteenth Amendment address?
2. What is a legal document submitted to the Supreme Court from anyone who may have something helpful to add to a case?
3. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
4. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
5. What is the case in which the the opinion indicates that federal defendants should always have the right to an attorney?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)