|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Knowledge of courts.
(b) Better compensation.
(c) Familiarity with areas.
(d) Knowledge of judges.
2. Which of the following do the Supreme Court Justices have?
(a) Individual ideas.
(c) All of these.
(d) Core ideals.
3. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
(a) Media interviews would overwhelm them.
(b) Law schools would have to change curriculum.
(c) Riots in prisons all across America.
(d) Mass filing of appeals from current prisoners.
4. Which of the following is an indigent person unable to afford that a rich defendant can?
(a) Other defense methods.
(c) Psychiatric evaluations.
(d) All of these.
5. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
(a) Georgia and North Carolina.
(b) Tennessee and South Carolina.
(c) Mississippi and Alabama.
(d) Alabama and North Carolina.
6. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
7. For how long are Supreme Court Justices on the bench?
(a) Lifetime terms.
(b) Four year terms.
(c) Ten year terms.
(d) Two year terms.
8. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
9. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
(a) Marvin Edelman.
(b) Louie L. Wainwright.
(c) Harold Milligan.
(d) Marvellas Cooke.
10. Most prisoners currently jailed without the benefit of an attorney do not have which of the following characteristics that Gideon possesses?
(a) All of these.
(b) Educational level.
11. Attorneys should view questions as _______________________.
(a) Opportunities to persuade.
(b) Formalities to be endured.
(c) Learning experiences.
(d) Necessary evils.
12. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
(a) John Hart Ely.
(b) John Hardeson.
(c) James Milligan.
(d) Michael Collins.
13. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
(a) Whether they wanted one or not.
(b) Until proven guilty.
(c) Under the special circumstances rule.
(d) Because this is America.
14. Which of the following is true of Gideon's case?
(a) All of these.
(b) Expensive attorneys spent many hours in research.
(c) A senior partner of the firm did the majority of the writing for the brief.
(d) He had a large, established firm on his side.
15. Who replaces Justice Frankfurter when he retires?
(a) Justice Alan Ginsburg.
(b) Justice Arthur Goldberg.
(c) Justice Avery Gillette.
(d) Justice Arthur Goldman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
2. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
3. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
4. What is the next issue following the Supreme Court's ruling in Gideon's favor?
5. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)