|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Fess Barkley.
(b) Ferris Buller.
(c) Farris Bryant.
(d) Frank Bryan.
2. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(b) Law books.
3. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Better compensation.
(b) Knowledge of judges.
(c) Knowledge of courts.
(d) Familiarity with areas.
4. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
(a) Hope springs eternal.
(b) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(c) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(d) The early bird catches the worm.
5. Which of the following happens to legal services when appointed attorneys are not compensated?
(a) They are inept.
(b) They are hasty.
(c) All of these.
(d) They are perfunctory.
6. Which of the following is the consensus regarding appointed attorneys?
(a) An unpaid lawyer provides little or no real legal advice.
(b) No one attorney should withstand the continuing burden.
(c) Governmental funding will be required.
(d) All of these?
7. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
(a) The Harvard Law School.
(b) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The NAACP.
8. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
9. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
10. When the Supreme Court ruled that federal defendants must have lawyers, a ________________ took over in place of any official body creating and funding a system that would work.
(b) Task force.
(c) State committee.
11. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General George Patton.
(b) General Johnson Hall.
(c) General Gerald A. Berlin.
(d) General Dwight Eisenhower.
12. Who was the director of the federal penitentiary system?
(a) James V. Bennett.
(b) Johnson A. Bennett.
(c) John L. Bennett.
(d) James A. Hall.
13. Prior to Gideons' Supreme Court case, how many of the nine Justices does Fortas think will rule in his favor?
14. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
15. How does Gideon describe Fortas' legal brief about the case?
(a) Truly inspiring work.
(b) A masterpiece.
(c) A Godsend.
(d) Brilliant document.
Short Answer Questions
1. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
2. Most prisoners currently jailed without the benefit of an attorney do not have which of the following characteristics that Gideon possesses?
3. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
4. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
5. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)