|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Attorneys should view questions as _______________________.
(a) Opportunities to persuade.
(b) Formalities to be endured.
(c) Necessary evils.
(d) Learning experiences.
2. What is the formal name of Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Gideon vs. Cochran.
(b) Gideon vs. The United States of America.
(c) Gideon vs. Wainwright.
(d) Gideon vs. The State of Florida.
3. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
(a) Another appellate court.
(b) A lottery to decide who takes a case.
(c) A public defender's office.
(d) Mandatory attorney representation.
4. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
5. Which of the following is true regarding Supreme Court Justices?
(a) All of these.
(b) They are appointed to lifetime terms.
(c) They don't seek re-election and are not indebted to anyone.
(d) They are free to disagree.
6. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
7. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should present facts as opposed to ________________.
(b) Lofty ideas.
8. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
(b) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
(c) He cannot afford one.
(d) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
9. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
(a) Unskilled judges in the local courts.
(b) A defendant's lack of a defense attorney.
(c) A poor State Court system.
(d) An overloaded local court system.
10. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
11. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Earl Warren.
(b) John Marshall Harlan.
(c) Daniel Ellsberg.
(d) Arthur J. Goldberg.
12. Immediately following Gideon's case, how many cases does the Supreme Court send back to the Florida State Supreme Court ordering it to reconsider those cases in light of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
13. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(b) A retainer.
(c) An hourly fee.
(d) A set fee.
14. Who does George Mantz say is looking out for defendants with attorneys?
(a) The defendant.
(b) The judge.
(c) The state.
(d) The Supreme Court.
15. Which law school does John Hart Ely attend?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Supreme Court ruled that federal defendants must have lawyers, a ________________ took over in place of any official body creating and funding a system that would work.
2. Jacob contends that the basis for his case is about _________________, not an attorney.
3. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
4. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
5. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)