|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the young lawyer assigned to defend the state's position in Gideon's case?
(a) Michael Morris.
(b) Clayton Hall.
(c) Bruce Robert Jacob.
(d) Robert Bruce.
2. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
(a) Cromwell vs. Cooley.
(b) Carney vs. Collins.
(c) Carnley vs. Cochran.
(d) Cronin vs. Cochran.
3. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
4. Prior to Gideons' Supreme Court case, how many of the nine Justices does Fortas think will rule in his favor?
5. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Earl Warren.
(b) Daniel Ellsberg.
(c) John Marshall Harlan.
(d) Arthur J. Goldberg.
6. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
(a) A public defender's office.
(b) Mandatory attorney representation.
(c) Another appellate court.
(d) A lottery to decide who takes a case.
7. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) He thought it was a step back for America.
(b) He declined to comment.
(c) He would not have voted for it.
(d) He would have voted in favor of it.
8. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
(a) Daniel Ellsberg.
(b) Robert F. Kennedy.
(c) Robert McNamara.
(d) Lyndon Johnson.
9. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The Democratic Party.
(c) The NAACP.
(d) The Harvard Law School.
10. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
(a) The informality of the proceedings.
(b) The courtroom cameras.
(c) The huge number of people present.
(d) The quality of the furniture.
11. What is a legal document submitted to the Supreme Court from anyone who may have something helpful to add to a case?
(b) Good Neighbor.
(c) Federal Affiliation.
(d) Amicus Curiae.
12. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
13. Who does George Mantz say is looking out for defendants with attorneys?
(a) The judge.
(b) The defendant.
(c) The Supreme Court.
(d) The state.
14. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
15. What can be said about Gideon in that he stuck to the process of filing an appeal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Alabama's brief declares that ___________________ is more likely to be acquitted.
2. What is the case in which the the opinion indicates that federal defendants should always have the right to an attorney?
3. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
4. In most cases the majority of the work falls on _________________.
5. Why did Jacob only have evenings and weekends to devote to the states' case against Gideon?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)