|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
2. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
(b) Felony defendants.
(d) Accused people.
3. Which of the following is an indigent person unable to afford that a rich defendant can?
(a) Other defense methods.
(b) Psychiatric evaluations.
(d) All of these.
4. Who had complete control over deciding who would represent Gideon?
(a) The Justices.
(b) The prison warden.
(c) The Florida State Court.
5. Who replaces Justice Frankfurter when he retires?
(a) Justice Avery Gillette.
(b) Justice Arthur Goldman.
(c) Justice Alan Ginsburg.
(d) Justice Arthur Goldberg.
6. Who was the director of the federal penitentiary system?
(a) James A. Hall.
(b) Johnson A. Bennett.
(c) John L. Bennett.
(d) James V. Bennett.
7. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
8. How does Gideon describe Fortas' legal brief about the case?
(a) Brilliant document.
(b) Truly inspiring work.
(c) A masterpiece.
(d) A Godsend.
9. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
(a) The huge number of people present.
(b) The courtroom cameras.
(c) The quality of the furniture.
(d) The informality of the proceedings.
10. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Frank Bryan.
(b) Ferris Buller.
(c) Fess Barkley.
(d) Farris Bryant.
11. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
(a) Law schools would have to change curriculum.
(b) Riots in prisons all across America.
(c) Mass filing of appeals from current prisoners.
(d) Media interviews would overwhelm them.
12. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
(c) In effect for a year.
13. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
14. In most cases the majority of the work falls on _________________.
(a) The defendant.
(b) The Attorney General.
(c) The defense attorney.
(d) The prosecutor's office.
15. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
(a) A poor State Court system.
(b) An overloaded local court system.
(c) A defendant's lack of a defense attorney.
(d) Unskilled judges in the local courts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Fourteenth Amendment address?
2. Who typed Jacob's legal brief in the Gideon case?
3. What is the case in which six black boys were accused of rape of two white girls in 1932?
4. Why did Jacob only have evenings and weekends to devote to the states' case against Gideon?
5. For how long are Supreme Court Justices on the bench?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)