|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following happens to legal services when appointed attorneys are not compensated?
(a) All of these.
(b) They are inept.
(c) They are hasty.
(d) They are perfunctory.
2. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
(a) A public defender's office.
(b) Mandatory attorney representation.
(c) A lottery to decide who takes a case.
(d) Another appellate court.
3. For how long are Supreme Court Justices on the bench?
(a) Four year terms.
(b) Ten year terms.
(c) Two year terms.
(d) Lifetime terms.
4. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
5. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) He thought it was a step back for America.
(b) He would not have voted for it.
(c) He would have voted in favor of it.
(d) He declined to comment.
6. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Farris Bryant.
(b) Frank Bryan.
(c) Fess Barkley.
(d) Ferris Buller.
7. Attorneys should view questions as _______________________.
(a) Opportunities to persuade.
(b) Learning experiences.
(c) Formalities to be endured.
(d) Necessary evils.
8. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
(b) In effect for a year.
9. What "stupid answer" does Jacob give in response to a Justice?
(a) Gideon did the crime and he has to do the time.
(b) He did not realize that he would be questioned on some of these issues.
(c) A judge would not object to a lay person representing someone else.
(d) The Justices have not done their due diligence in the case.
10. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
(a) Earl Warren.
(b) Arthur J. Goldberg.
(c) John Marshall Harlan.
(d) Daniel Ellsberg.
11. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
(c) Accused people.
(d) Felony defendants.
12. Which of the following is true regarding Supreme Court Justices?
(a) They don't seek re-election and are not indebted to anyone.
(b) All of these.
(c) They are free to disagree.
(d) They are appointed to lifetime terms.
13. What is the case in which six black boys were accused of rape of two white girls in 1932?
(a) The Petersborough Case.
(b) The Alabama Case.
(c) The Missouri Case.
(d) The Scotsboro Case.
14. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
15. Who typed Jacob's legal brief in the Gideon case?
(a) Jacob's wife.
(b) Legal secretary.
(c) Personal assistant.
(d) Law clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
2. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
3. Why was the Betts case able to prevail in 1942?
4. What is a legal document submitted to the Supreme Court from anyone who may have something helpful to add to a case?
5. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)