|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
(a) The informality of the proceedings.
(b) The quality of the furniture.
(c) The courtroom cameras.
(d) The huge number of people present.
2. Which of the following is true regarding Supreme Court Justices?
(a) They don't seek re-election and are not indebted to anyone.
(b) All of these.
(c) They are free to disagree.
(d) They are appointed to lifetime terms.
3. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) A retainer.
(b) A set fee.
(d) An hourly fee.
4. Which of the following do the Supreme Court Justices have?
(a) Core ideals.
(c) All of these.
(d) Individual ideas.
5. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
(a) In effect for a year.
6. What can be said about Gideon in that he stuck to the process of filing an appeal?
7. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
(a) Carnley vs. Cochran.
(b) Carney vs. Collins.
(c) Cronin vs. Cochran.
(d) Cromwell vs. Cooley.
8. Prior to Gideons' Supreme Court case, how many of the nine Justices does Fortas think will rule in his favor?
9. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
10. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
(a) Robert McNamara.
(b) Lyndon Johnson.
(c) Daniel Ellsberg.
(d) Robert F. Kennedy.
11. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
(a) Michael Collins.
(b) John Hardeson.
(c) James Milligan.
(d) John Hart Ely.
12. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
(a) All of these.
(b) He is impressed by the formality of the crier who opens the proceedings.
(c) He is struck by the pomp of the building.
(d) He spends time worrying about minor points.
13. For how long are Supreme Court Justices on the bench?
(a) Two year terms.
(b) Ten year terms.
(c) Lifetime terms.
(d) Four year terms.
14. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Ferris Buller.
(b) Fess Barkley.
(c) Frank Bryan.
(d) Farris Bryant.
15. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Fourteenth Amendment address?
2. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
3. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
4. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should present facts as opposed to ________________.
5. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)