|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) A set fee.
(b) A retainer.
(d) An hourly fee.
2. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
(a) Mandatory attorney representation.
(b) A lottery to decide who takes a case.
(c) Another appellate court.
(d) A public defender's office.
3. Who does George Mantz say is looking out for defendants with attorneys?
(a) The state.
(b) The judge.
(c) The defendant.
(d) The Supreme Court.
4. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(c) Law books.
5. Gideon is perceived to be intelligent but ______________.
6. Which of the following do the Supreme Court Justices have?
(a) Individual ideas.
(b) All of these.
(c) Core ideals.
7. In most cases the majority of the work falls on _________________.
(a) The defendant.
(b) The defense attorney.
(c) The prosecutor's office.
(d) The Attorney General.
8. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
9. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
(a) Cronin vs. Cochran.
(b) Cromwell vs. Cooley.
(c) Carney vs. Collins.
(d) Carnley vs. Cochran.
10. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
(d) In effect for a year.
11. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General George Patton.
(b) General Johnson Hall.
(c) General Gerald A. Berlin.
(d) General Dwight Eisenhower.
12. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He cannot afford one.
(b) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
(c) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
(d) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
13. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
(a) Hope springs eternal.
(b) The early bird catches the worm.
(c) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(d) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
14. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
(a) The right to bear arms.
(b) The right to an attorney.
(c) The right of free speech.
(d) The right to practice religion.
15. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
Short Answer Questions
1. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
2. Attorneys should view questions as _______________________.
3. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
4. Jacob contends that the basis for his case is about _________________, not an attorney.
5. Who had complete control over deciding who would represent Gideon?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)