|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some attorneys consider oral arguments to be?
(a) A nuisance.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) A formality.
(d) An imperative.
2. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
(a) Marvin Edelman.
(b) Marvellas Cooke.
(c) Harold Milligan.
(d) Louie L. Wainwright.
3. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
4. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The Democratic Party.
(c) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(d) The Harvard Law School.
5. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(a) Law books.
6. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) He declined to comment.
(b) He would not have voted for it.
(c) He would have voted in favor of it.
(d) He thought it was a step back for America.
7. What is the next issue following the Supreme Court's ruling in Gideon's favor?
8. Which of the following is an indigent person unable to afford that a rich defendant can?
(a) Psychiatric evaluations.
(b) All of these.
(d) Other defense methods.
9. Why did Jacob only have evenings and weekends to devote to the states' case against Gideon?
(a) He had a corporate job during the week.
(b) He was still going to law school.
(c) He had to care for an ailing parent.
(d) He worked full time at a law office.
10. What can be said about Gideon in that he stuck to the process of filing an appeal?
11. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) An hourly fee.
(c) A retainer.
(d) A set fee.
12. Who does George Mantz say is looking out for defendants with attorneys?
(a) The defendant.
(b) The state.
(c) The Supreme Court.
(d) The judge.
13. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
(a) Lifetime criminals.
(c) Retarded people.
14. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
(a) The right to practice religion.
(b) The right of free speech.
(c) The right to bear arms.
(d) The right to an attorney.
15. Why does the right to an attorney issue become even greater on the state level?
(a) There are judges who want to rule on a case-by-case basis.
(b) There are more intellectually challenged defendants.
(c) There are more indigent defendants.
(d) The states resist the change.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
2. How many people other than Jacob are on Jacob's law team in the Gideon case?
3. What do some people at the state level want to see implemented?
4. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
5. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)