|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the next issue following the Supreme Court's ruling in Gideon's favor?
2. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
(a) Retarded people.
(d) Lifetime criminals.
3. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) Fess Barkley.
(b) Farris Bryant.
(c) Ferris Buller.
(d) Frank Bryan.
4. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
5. Who is the young lawyer assigned to defend the state's position in Gideon's case?
(a) Robert Bruce.
(b) Michael Morris.
(c) Bruce Robert Jacob.
(d) Clayton Hall.
6. What does Abe Fortas think would be the best way for the Justices to understand Gideon's case?
(a) They should go to criminal court and watch a defendant try to defend himself.
(b) They should talk to local judges.
(c) They should read Gideon's trial transcripts.
(d) They should listen to interviews of inmates.
7. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should not be overconfident or ______________.
8. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General Gerald A. Berlin.
(b) General George Patton.
(c) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) General Johnson Hall.
9. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
(a) Georgia and North Carolina.
(b) Mississippi and Alabama.
(c) Tennessee and South Carolina.
(d) Alabama and North Carolina.
10. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
(a) Harold Milligan.
(b) Marvellas Cooke.
(c) Louie L. Wainwright.
(d) Marvin Edelman.
11. Which of the following happens to legal services when appointed attorneys are not compensated?
(a) They are inept.
(b) They are perfunctory.
(c) They are hasty.
(d) All of these.
12. Which of the following is an indigent person unable to afford that a rich defendant can?
(a) Psychiatric evaluations.
(b) Other defense methods.
(d) All of these.
13. Immediately following Gideon's case, how many cases does the Supreme Court send back to the Florida State Supreme Court ordering it to reconsider those cases in light of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
14. How many people other than Jacob are on Jacob's law team in the Gideon case?
15. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(b) Law books.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
2. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
3. Under the Betts rule, who is required to have an attorney?
4. Attorneys should view questions as _______________________.
5. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)