|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
(a) Hollywood, Florida.
(b) Venice, Florida.
(c) Orlando, Florida.
(d) Panama City, Florida.
2. Is Gideon guaranteed an attorney during a Supreme Court trial?
(a) Yes, if he can pay a retainer.
3. Abe Fortas had previously argued the case that expanded the Supreme Court's ruling on ____________.
(a) Pre-meditated murder.
(d) Tax evasion.
4. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
(a) Louise Cooper.
(b) Connie Martin.
(c) Doris Clawson.
(d) Velma Cooper.
5. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Ruth Babineaux.
(b) Yvette Mimieux.
(c) Babs Devereaux.
(d) Tonya Robichaux.
6. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) February 8, 1962.
(b) March 24, 1960.
(c) December 24, 1961.
(d) February 14, 1969.
7. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
(a) Jeffrey Walton.
(b) Michael Kodak, Jr.
(c) Stu Mathias.
(d) Michael Rodak, Jr.
8. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
(a) A gun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A pizza.
9. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
(a) He must be illiterate.
(b) He must be indigent.
(c) He must have been hurt by a legal action.
(d) He must have money for an attorney.
10. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The Florida Appellate Court.
(c) The U.S. Supreme Court.
(d) The American Civil Liberties Union.
11. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) April 21, 1963.
(b) November 22, 1963.
(c) January 15, 1966.
(d) May 25, 1963.
12. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
(a) Any instructions for determining guilt.
(b) Stipends for its service.
(c) Meals during its service.
(d) Hotel accommodations during its service.
13. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
(a) Linen letterhead.
(b) Regular typing paper.
(c) Prison paper.
(d) Prison forms.
14. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
(a) Abe Vigoda.
(b) Abe Fortas.
(c) Abe Rothstein.
(d) Abe Fourman.
15. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
(b) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(c) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
(d) He has a right to question the jury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Federal law _____________ state law.
2. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
3. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
4. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
5. How many children and stepchildren does Gideon have with his second wife?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)