|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The NAACP.
(c) The U.S. Supreme Court.
(d) The Florida Appellate Court.
2. What is covered in the issue of federalism?
(a) The Federal government budget.
(b) Republicans vs. Democrats.
(c) Internal Revenue System policies.
(d) State's rights vs. the Federal government.
3. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
4. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Use a pay phone.
(b) Walk down the street.
(c) All of these.
(d) Leave in a cab.
5. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
(a) If Cook had a grudge against Gideon.
(b) If Cook had an arrest record.
(c) If Cook had a job.
(d) Why Cook was on the street at that time of the morning.
6. What is Gideon's job in prison?
7. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
(b) Witness statements.
(c) Opening and closing arguments.
(d) Judge's ruling.
8. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(b) Washington D.C.
(d) New York.
9. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
(a) Any other judge in the country.
(b) The Attorney General.
(c) The President.
(d) The Vice President.
10. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
11. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
(a) They are better than he imagined.
(b) They are excellent.
(c) They do not exist.
(d) They are inadequate.
12. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
(a) A copy of the trial brief.
(b) A copy of the opposing response.
(c) A copy of the request and any response.
(d) A copy of the trial transcript.
13. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
(a) Stipends for its service.
(b) Meals during its service.
(c) Hotel accommodations during its service.
(d) Any instructions for determining guilt.
14. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
15. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
(a) Is trying to learn the best he can.
(b) Has good intentions.
(c) Knows there are many of them.
(d) But he will look them up if it takes forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
2. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
3. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
4. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
5. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)