|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Gideon when his father died?
2. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
(a) A copy of the trial brief.
(b) A copy of the opposing response.
(c) A copy of the trial transcript.
(d) A copy of the request and any response.
3. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
(b) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
(c) The moneybox was empty.
(d) There were gunshots in the walls.
4. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
(b) He has a right to question the jury.
(c) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(d) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
5. How many children and stepchildren does Gideon have with his second wife?
6. How old is Gideon?
7. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
(a) Nothing but his name attached to a Supreme Court case.
(b) A monthly retainer.
(c) A flat fee based on the scope of the trial.
(d) 20% of the damages awarded.
8. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) February 8, 1962.
(b) February 14, 1969.
(c) March 24, 1960.
(d) December 24, 1961.
9. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
10. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Yvette Mimieux.
(b) Ruth Babineaux.
(c) Tonya Robichaux.
(d) Babs Devereaux.
11. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Walk down the street.
(b) All of these.
(c) Use a pay phone.
(d) Leave in a cab.
12. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
(a) Traffic violations.
(b) Noise violations.
(c) Divorce proceedings.
(d) Child custody case.
13. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
(a) Maximum of five years in prison.
(b) A life sentence.
(c) Probation and time served.
(d) Minimum of five years in prison.
14. Gideon believes that he was denied ______________ during a legal trial.
(c) due process.
(d) a phone call.
15. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
(a) The Vice President.
(b) The President.
(c) Any other judge in the country.
(d) The Attorney General.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
2. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
3. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
4. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
5. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)