|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
(a) Meals during its service.
(b) Stipends for its service.
(c) Any instructions for determining guilt.
(d) Hotel accommodations during its service.
2. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Use a pay phone.
(b) Walk down the street.
(c) All of these.
(d) Leave in a cab.
3. Why does Gideon say he needs to get out of prison?
(a) To care for his mother.
(b) To care for his children.
(c) To get a good job.
(d) To continue his education.
4. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
(a) His wife.
(b) His attorney.
(c) His father.
(d) His son.
5. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
(a) A gun.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pizza.
6. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
(b) New England.
(c) West Coast.
7. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
(a) Knows there are many of them.
(b) But he will look them up if it takes forever.
(c) Has good intentions.
(d) Is trying to learn the best he can.
8. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) No one.
(b) One legal secretary.
(c) The U.S. Attorney General.
(d) Ten Law Clerks.
9. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Denver, Colorado.
(c) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(d) Orlando, Florida.
10. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(a) New York.
(d) Washington D.C.
11. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
(a) Michael Rodak, Jr.
(b) Michael Kodak, Jr.
(c) Stu Mathias.
(d) Jeffrey Walton.
12. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
(a) He had no attorney at his trial.
(b) He had no trial before going to prison.
(c) He had a junior attorney at his trial.
(d) He had to wait six months before going to trial.
13. How old is Gideon?
14. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) November 22, 1963.
(b) January 15, 1966.
(c) April 21, 1963.
(d) May 25, 1963.
15. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
(a) They are better than he imagined.
(b) They do not exist.
(c) They are inadequate.
(d) They are excellent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
2. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
3. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
4. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
5. In what city in Florida did Gideon reside?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)