|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an area in which Abe Fortas is familiar?
(b) Tax law.
(c) U.S. Presidents.
(d) U.S. Government.
2. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
(a) The rules of Betts vs. Brady.
(b) He had too many prior convictions.
(c) He was clearly guilty.
(d) He was insane.
3. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
(a) Hotel accommodations.
(b) Food and entertainment.
(c) Hourly billing.
(d) Travel to and from Washington D.C.
4. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
(a) A big raise.
(b) A series of phone interviews with Gideon.
(c) A meeting with Gideon.
(d) A transcript of Gideon's previous trial.
5. How old is Gideon?
6. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) May 25, 1963.
(b) April 21, 1963.
(c) November 22, 1963.
(d) January 15, 1966.
7. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
(a) Righteous anger.
(b) Being high.
8. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is on audio tape.
(b) It exceeds the page count limit.
(c) It is sent via email.
(d) It is handwritten.
9. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
(a) Prison paper.
(b) Regular typing paper.
(c) Prison forms.
(d) Linen letterhead.
10. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
(a) Probation and time served.
(b) Minimum of five years in prison.
(c) Maximum of five years in prison.
(d) A life sentence.
11. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
12. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
13. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
(a) Jeffrey Walton.
(b) Michael Rodak, Jr.
(c) Michael Kodak, Jr.
(d) Stu Mathias.
14. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
(a) Traffic violations.
(b) Noise violations.
(c) Child custody case.
(d) Divorce proceedings.
15. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
(a) His son.
(b) His wife.
(c) His attorney.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
2. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
3. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
4. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
5. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)