|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Federal law _____________ state law.
(c) is harsher than.
(d) is more lenient than.
2. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
(a) Their own ideas.
(b) The Constitution's ideals.
(c) The Attorney General's ideas.
(d) The President's ideas.
3. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His attorney.
(d) His son.
4. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
(b) Opening and closing arguments.
(c) Witness statements.
(d) Judge's ruling.
5. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
(a) He must have money for an attorney.
(b) He must have been hurt by a legal action.
(c) He must be indigent.
(d) He must be illiterate.
6. What establishment was Gideon convicted of robbing?
(a) Flamingo Pawn Shop.
(b) Bay Harbor Poolroom.
(c) Seabreeze Bar & Grill.
(d) Palms and Pawns Shop.
7. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
(a) Why Cook was on the street at that time of the morning.
(b) If Cook had a job.
(c) If Cook had a grudge against Gideon.
(d) If Cook had an arrest record.
8. What is Gideon's job in prison?
9. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
(a) Prison forms.
(b) Linen letterhead.
(c) Regular typing paper.
(d) Prison paper.
10. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) January 15, 1966.
(b) April 21, 1963.
(c) November 22, 1963.
(d) May 25, 1963.
11. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
12. How old is Gideon?
13. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
14. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(a) Personal assistant.
(c) Law clerks.
(d) Legal secretary.
15. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
2. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
3. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
4. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
5. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)