|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) The U.S. Attorney General.
(b) One legal secretary.
(c) No one.
(d) Ten Law Clerks.
2. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
(a) They are excellent.
(b) They are better than he imagined.
(c) They do not exist.
(d) They are inadequate.
3. What prior case had established the rules for assigning an attorney to a defendant.
(a) Betts vs. Brody.
(b) Betz vs. Brady.
(c) Breck vs. Brady.
(d) Betts vs. Brady.
4. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
5. Federal law _____________ state law.
(a) is more lenient than.
(c) is harsher than.
6. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
7. What is Gideon's job in prison?
8. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) All of these.
(b) Use a pay phone.
(c) Leave in a cab.
(d) Walk down the street.
9. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
(a) New England.
(d) West Coast.
10. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
(a) He must be illiterate.
(b) He must have money for an attorney.
(c) He must be indigent.
(d) He must have been hurt by a legal action.
11. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
(a) Custody of his children.
(b) His house.
(c) His mind.
(d) His job.
12. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
(a) Child custody case.
(b) Divorce proceedings.
(c) Noise violations.
(d) Traffic violations.
13. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(b) He has a right to question the jury.
(c) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
(d) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
14. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
(a) Prison forms.
(b) Prison paper.
(c) Regular typing paper.
(d) Linen letterhead.
15. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
2. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
3. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
4. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
5. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)