Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(b) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
(c) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(d) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
2. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
3. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(c) Shoe factory.
(d) Hardware store.
4. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
(a) Righteous anger.
(b) Being high.
5. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To have surgery.
(b) To make arrangements for his children.
(c) To get a job.
(d) To show his innocence.
6. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
(a) He must be indigent.
(b) He must have money for an attorney.
(c) He must have been hurt by a legal action.
(d) He must be illiterate.
7. What is covered in the issue of federalism?
(a) The Federal government budget.
(b) Republicans vs. Democrats.
(c) State's rights vs. the Federal government.
(d) Internal Revenue System policies.
8. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
9. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Orlando, Florida.
(c) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(d) Denver, Colorado.
10. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Walk down the street.
(b) All of these.
(c) Use a pay phone.
(d) Leave in a cab.
11. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
(a) Because Gideon makes too much money.
(b) Because of Gideon's wife's criminal record.
(c) Because welfare was not established yet.
(d) Because of Gideon's criminal record.
12. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
(a) Hank Cookson.
(b) Henry Cook.
(c) Henry Koch.
(d) Harvey Cook.
13. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) February 8, 1962.
(b) December 24, 1961.
(c) February 14, 1969.
(d) March 24, 1960.
14. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had gallbladder surgery.
(b) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
(c) He had pneumonia.
(d) He was in a car accident.
15. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
2. Federal law _____________ state law.
3. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
4. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
5. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)