|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is on audio tape.
(b) It is sent via email.
(c) It exceeds the page count limit.
(d) It is handwritten.
2. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
(a) Michael Rodak, Jr.
(b) Stu Mathias.
(c) Jeffrey Walton.
(d) Michael Kodak, Jr.
3. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Tonya Robichaux.
(b) Babs Devereaux.
(c) Yvette Mimieux.
(d) Ruth Babineaux.
4. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
(a) Being high.
(b) Righteous anger.
5. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) All state courts will be impacted.
(b) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
(c) It will be even harder to appeal.
(d) He will be a free man.
6. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(b) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
(c) He has a right to question the jury.
(d) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
7. What is Gideon's job in prison?
8. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
9. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The Florida Appellate Court.
(c) The U.S. Supreme Court.
(d) The American Civil Liberties Union.
10. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
11. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had pneumonia.
(b) He had gallbladder surgery.
(c) He was in a car accident.
(d) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
12. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(b) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
(c) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(d) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
13. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
(a) A pizza.
(b) A knife.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A gun.
14. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
(b) Legal expert.
15. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
(a) Orlando, Florida.
(b) Panama City, Florida.
(c) Hollywood, Florida.
(d) Venice, Florida.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
2. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
3. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
4. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
5. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)