|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
2. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
3. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
(a) A transcript of Gideon's previous trial.
(b) A big raise.
(c) A series of phone interviews with Gideon.
(d) A meeting with Gideon.
4. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
(a) Henry Cook.
(b) Hank Cookson.
(c) Henry Koch.
(d) Harvey Cook.
5. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
(b) Cleans a school.
(c) Tends bar.
(d) Works at a gas station.
6. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
7. What is covered in the issue of federalism?
(a) The Federal government budget.
(b) Republicans vs. Democrats.
(c) State's rights vs. the Federal government.
(d) Internal Revenue System policies.
8. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
(a) His son.
(b) His father.
(c) His attorney.
(d) His wife.
9. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) The moneybox was empty.
(b) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
(c) There were gunshots in the walls.
(d) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
10. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) The U.S. Attorney General.
(b) Ten Law Clerks.
(c) One legal secretary.
(d) No one.
11. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
(a) If Cook had a job.
(b) If Cook had an arrest record.
(c) Why Cook was on the street at that time of the morning.
(d) If Cook had a grudge against Gideon.
12. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) December 24, 1961.
(b) March 24, 1960.
(c) February 14, 1969.
(d) February 8, 1962.
13. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
(c) Righteous anger.
(d) Being high.
14. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
(a) Nothing but his name attached to a Supreme Court case.
(b) 20% of the damages awarded.
(c) A monthly retainer.
(d) A flat fee based on the scope of the trial.
15. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
2. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
3. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
4. The Supreme Court had ruled that a person is not criminally responsible for his actions if he ______________________.
5. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)