|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Gideon?
2. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
(a) He must have money for an attorney.
(b) He must be illiterate.
(c) He must have been hurt by a legal action.
(d) He must be indigent.
3. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
4. What is Gideon's job in prison?
5. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New York.
6. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had gallbladder surgery.
(b) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
(c) He had pneumonia.
(d) He was in a car accident.
7. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
(a) A meeting with Gideon.
(b) A series of phone interviews with Gideon.
(c) A big raise.
(d) A transcript of Gideon's previous trial.
8. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
(a) How many kids I have.
(b) How much money I make.
(c) What church I belong to if any.
(d) How long I have lived her.
9. How do some of the Supreme Court Justices consider their power?
10. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
11. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
12. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
(a) Child custody case.
(b) Noise violations.
(c) Divorce proceedings.
(d) Traffic violations.
13. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
14. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
(a) The Attorney General.
(b) Any other judge in the country.
(c) The Vice President.
(d) The President.
15. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
(a) The rules of Betts vs. Brady.
(b) He was insane.
(c) He was clearly guilty.
(d) He had too many prior convictions.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
2. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
3. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
4. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
5. What establishment was Gideon convicted of robbing?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)