|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
(a) Stipends for its service.
(b) Meals during its service.
(c) Any instructions for determining guilt.
(d) Hotel accommodations during its service.
2. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
(a) They are excellent.
(b) They are better than he imagined.
(c) They do not exist.
(d) They are inadequate.
3. What establishment was Gideon convicted of robbing?
(a) Bay Harbor Poolroom.
(b) Seabreeze Bar & Grill.
(c) Palms and Pawns Shop.
(d) Flamingo Pawn Shop.
4. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had gallbladder surgery.
(b) He was in a car accident.
(c) He had pneumonia.
(d) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
5. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
6. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
7. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
(b) He has a right to question the jury.
(c) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(d) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
8. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
(a) Regular typing paper.
(b) Linen letterhead.
(c) Prison forms.
(d) Prison paper.
9. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
(a) Grand Theft Auto.
(c) Petty larceny.
(d) Statutory Rape.
10. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
(a) He had no trial before going to prison.
(b) He had no attorney at his trial.
(c) He had a junior attorney at his trial.
(d) He had to wait six months before going to trial.
11. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
(a) Hotel accommodations.
(b) Travel to and from Washington D.C.
(c) Hourly billing.
(d) Food and entertainment.
12. How old is Gideon?
13. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
14. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
(a) A life sentence.
(b) Minimum of five years in prison.
(c) Maximum of five years in prison.
(d) Probation and time served.
15. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
(a) Apply to indigent people.
(b) Probably result in guilty verdicts.
(c) Impact people already in prison.
(d) Be applied across the board to all states.
Short Answer Questions
1. Federal law _____________ state law.
2. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
3. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
4. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
5. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)