|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
(a) Denver, Colorado.
(b) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(c) Orlando, Florida.
(d) Washington D.C.
2. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
3. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
4. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
(a) He was clearly guilty.
(b) He was insane.
(c) He had too many prior convictions.
(d) The rules of Betts vs. Brady.
5. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
(b) There were gunshots in the walls.
(c) The moneybox was empty.
(d) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
6. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(b) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
(c) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
(d) He has a right to question the jury.
7. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
(a) 20% of the damages awarded.
(b) Nothing but his name attached to a Supreme Court case.
(c) A flat fee based on the scope of the trial.
(d) A monthly retainer.
8. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
(b) Cleans a school.
(c) Tends bar.
(d) Works at a gas station.
9. What is covered in the issue of federalism?
(a) Republicans vs. Democrats.
(b) State's rights vs. the Federal government.
(c) Internal Revenue System policies.
(d) The Federal government budget.
10. Is Gideon guaranteed an attorney during a Supreme Court trial?
(a) Yes, if he can pay a retainer.
11. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
(a) His job.
(b) His house.
(c) His mind.
(d) Custody of his children.
12. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
13. Which of the following falls into the category of "special circumstances" for those on trial?
(a) Mentally ill.
(d) All of these.
14. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
(a) If Cook had an arrest record.
(b) If Cook had a job.
(c) Why Cook was on the street at that time of the morning.
(d) If Cook had a grudge against Gideon.
15. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Gideon have?
2. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
3. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
4. Abe Fortas had previously argued the case that expanded the Supreme Court's ruling on ____________.
5. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)