|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
(a) Why should the U.S. Supreme Court have to get involved with a petty larceny case?
(b) Should this Court's holding in Betts vs. Brady, 316 U.S. 455, be reconsiderd?
(c) How many more men like Clarence Earl Gideon are sitting in America's prisons?
(d) Are we not bound to provide legal justice for all men in this country?
2. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
(a) Denver, Colorado.
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(d) Orlando, Florida.
3. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
(a) The Fourteenth Amendment.
(b) The NATO Treaty.
(c) The NAACP Bill.
(d) The Judge's Bill of 1925.
4. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
(c) Righteous anger.
(d) Being high.
5. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
6. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Babs Devereaux.
(b) Ruth Babineaux.
(c) Yvette Mimieux.
(d) Tonya Robichaux.
7. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) All of these.
(b) Leave in a cab.
(c) Use a pay phone.
(d) Walk down the street.
8. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
(b) Grand Theft Auto.
(c) Petty larceny.
(d) Statutory Rape.
9. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
10. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
11. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had gallbladder surgery.
(b) He was in a car accident.
(c) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
(d) He had pneumonia.
12. How many children and stepchildren does Gideon have with his second wife?
13. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To get a job.
(b) To have surgery.
(c) To show his innocence.
(d) To make arrangements for his children.
14. Is Gideon guaranteed an attorney during a Supreme Court trial?
(d) Yes, if he can pay a retainer.
15. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Gideon have?
2. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
3. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
4. Gideon writes a letter of ____________ pages to Abe Fortas to tell him what really happened.
5. The Supreme Court had ruled that a person is not criminally responsible for his actions if he ______________________.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)