|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
2. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
3. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
(a) A knife.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A pizza.
(d) A gun.
4. What sentence did Gideon receive in his first trial?
(a) Probation and time served.
(b) Maximum of five years in prison.
(c) Minimum of five years in prison.
(d) A life sentence.
5. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
6. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Babs Devereaux.
(b) Ruth Babineaux.
(c) Yvette Mimieux.
(d) Tonya Robichaux.
7. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
(a) Divorce proceedings.
(b) Traffic violations.
(c) Child custody case.
(d) Noise violations.
8. In what city in Florida did Gideon reside?
(a) Panama City.
9. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
(a) A flat fee based on the scope of the trial.
(b) Nothing but his name attached to a Supreme Court case.
(c) 20% of the damages awarded.
(d) A monthly retainer.
10. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) It will be even harder to appeal.
(b) He will be a free man.
(c) All state courts will be impacted.
(d) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
11. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
(b) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(c) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
(d) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
12. What establishment was Gideon convicted of robbing?
(a) Bay Harbor Poolroom.
(b) Palms and Pawns Shop.
(c) Flamingo Pawn Shop.
(d) Seabreeze Bar & Grill.
13. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
(a) Any instructions for determining guilt.
(b) Hotel accommodations during its service.
(c) Stipends for its service.
(d) Meals during its service.
14. How many children and stepchildren does Gideon have with his second wife?
15. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The NAACP.
(c) The U.S. Supreme Court.
(d) The Florida Appellate Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
2. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
3. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
4. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
5. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)