|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
(a) Venice, Florida.
(b) Hollywood, Florida.
(c) Orlando, Florida.
(d) Panama City, Florida.
2. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To get a job.
(b) To show his innocence.
(c) To make arrangements for his children.
(d) To have surgery.
3. What would a lawyer have followed up on regarding Henry Cook's testimony but Gideon didn't know to do?
(a) If Cook had a grudge against Gideon.
(b) Why Cook was on the street at that time of the morning.
(c) If Cook had an arrest record.
(d) If Cook had a job.
4. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
(a) A copy of the trial transcript.
(b) A copy of the trial brief.
(c) A copy of the request and any response.
(d) A copy of the opposing response.
5. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(b) Hardware store.
(d) Shoe factory.
6. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Ruth Babineaux.
(b) Tonya Robichaux.
(c) Babs Devereaux.
(d) Yvette Mimieux.
7. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
(b) Opening and closing arguments.
(c) Witness statements.
(d) Judge's ruling.
8. Why did Gideon never move his family out of Panama City?
(a) He never had the money.
(b) His wife didn't want to move.
(c) They had family in the area.
(d) They didn't want to leave their school.
9. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(a) Washington D.C.
(d) New York.
10. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
(a) A pizza.
(b) A gun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A bottle of wine.
11. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Walk down the street.
(b) Use a pay phone.
(c) Leave in a cab.
(d) All of these.
12. Which of the following is NOT an area in which Abe Fortas is familiar?
(b) U.S. Government.
(c) U.S. Presidents.
(d) Tax law.
13. Abe Fortas had previously argued the case that expanded the Supreme Court's ruling on ____________.
(b) Tax evasion.
(d) Pre-meditated murder.
14. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
15. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
(a) He must be illiterate.
(b) He must have money for an attorney.
(c) He must have been hurt by a legal action.
(d) He must be indigent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
2. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
3. How many children and stepchildren does Gideon have with his second wife?
4. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
5. What is Gideon's job in prison?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)