|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
(a) Judge's ruling.
(c) Witness statements.
(d) Opening and closing arguments.
2. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
3. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
(a) Florida rules.
(b) Florida prisons.
(c) Gideon himself.
(d) petty larceny.
4. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
(a) The NATO Treaty.
(b) The NAACP Bill.
(c) The Judge's Bill of 1925.
(d) The Fourteenth Amendment.
5. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) All state courts will be impacted.
(b) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
(c) He will be a free man.
(d) It will be even harder to appeal.
6. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
(a) Impact people already in prison.
(b) Probably result in guilty verdicts.
(c) Apply to indigent people.
(d) Be applied across the board to all states.
7. In what city in Florida did Gideon reside?
(b) Panama City.
8. Which of the following falls into the category of "special circumstances" for those on trial?
(b) Mentally ill.
(d) All of these.
9. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
10. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
11. What payment does an attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case receive?
(a) A monthly retainer.
(b) A flat fee based on the scope of the trial.
(c) 20% of the damages awarded.
(d) Nothing but his name attached to a Supreme Court case.
12. Which of the following is NOT an area in which Abe Fortas is familiar?
(a) U.S. Presidents.
(b) U.S. Government.
(d) Tax law.
13. Why does Gideon say he needs to get out of prison?
(a) To get a good job.
(b) To care for his mother.
(c) To care for his children.
(d) To continue his education.
14. Gideon believes that he was denied ______________ during a legal trial.
(b) due process.
(c) a phone call.
15. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
(a) Has good intentions.
(b) Is trying to learn the best he can.
(c) Knows there are many of them.
(d) But he will look them up if it takes forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
2. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
3. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
4. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
5. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)