|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
(a) Hotel accommodations.
(b) Food and entertainment.
(c) Hourly billing.
(d) Travel to and from Washington D.C.
2. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
(a) Because of Gideon's criminal record.
(b) Because of Gideon's wife's criminal record.
(c) Because Gideon makes too much money.
(d) Because welfare was not established yet.
3. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
(a) How many more men like Clarence Earl Gideon are sitting in America's prisons?
(b) Why should the U.S. Supreme Court have to get involved with a petty larceny case?
(c) Are we not bound to provide legal justice for all men in this country?
(d) Should this Court's holding in Betts vs. Brady, 316 U.S. 455, be reconsiderd?
4. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
(a) Harvey Cook.
(b) Hank Cookson.
(c) Henry Cook.
(d) Henry Koch.
5. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
(a) The Attorney General's ideas.
(b) The President's ideas.
(c) The Constitution's ideals.
(d) Their own ideas.
6. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
7. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
8. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
(a) Michael Kodak, Jr.
(b) Stu Mathias.
(c) Michael Rodak, Jr.
(d) Jeffrey Walton.
9. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(a) New York.
(c) Washington D.C.
10. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
(a) Orlando, Florida.
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) Denver, Colorado.
(d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
11. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
(a) He was clearly guilty.
(b) He was insane.
(c) The rules of Betts vs. Brady.
(d) He had too many prior convictions.
12. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
13. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
(a) The Fourteenth Amendment.
(b) The Judge's Bill of 1925.
(c) The NAACP Bill.
(d) The NATO Treaty.
14. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
15. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
(b) He had gallbladder surgery.
(c) He had pneumonia.
(d) He was in a car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
2. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court?
3. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
4. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
5. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)