|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
(a) Be applied across the board to all states.
(b) Probably result in guilty verdicts.
(c) Impact people already in prison.
(d) Apply to indigent people.
2. What prior case had established the rules for assigning an attorney to a defendant.
(a) Breck vs. Brady.
(b) Betz vs. Brady.
(c) Betts vs. Brody.
(d) Betts vs. Brady.
3. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
(a) The NATO Treaty.
(b) The Judge's Bill of 1925.
(c) The Fourteenth Amendment.
(d) The NAACP Bill.
4. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(a) Law clerks.
(c) Legal secretary.
(d) Personal assistant.
5. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
(a) To buy food for his brothers and sisters.
(b) They lost their house in the Great Depression.
(c) To put in a savings account for him.
(d) To pay for legal fees.
6. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
(b) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(c) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(d) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
7. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
(a) Truck driving.
(c) Car maintenance.
(d) Electrical wiring.
8. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
(b) New England.
(d) West Coast.
9. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
10. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) January 15, 1966.
(b) April 21, 1963.
(c) November 22, 1963.
(d) May 25, 1963.
11. How many Supreme Court decisions has Gideon read?
12. Why does Gideon say he needs to get out of prison?
(a) To get a good job.
(b) To care for his mother.
(c) To care for his children.
(d) To continue his education.
13. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
(b) There were gunshots in the walls.
(c) The moneybox was empty.
(d) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
14. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
(a) Louise Cooper.
(b) Velma Cooper.
(c) Connie Martin.
(d) Doris Clawson.
15. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To show his innocence.
(b) To make arrangements for his children.
(c) To have surgery.
(d) To get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
2. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
3. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
4. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
5. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)