|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
(a) How long I have lived her.
(b) How much money I make.
(c) What church I belong to if any.
(d) How many kids I have.
2. What establishment was Gideon convicted of robbing?
(a) Seabreeze Bar & Grill.
(b) Flamingo Pawn Shop.
(c) Palms and Pawns Shop.
(d) Bay Harbor Poolroom.
3. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
4. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is handwritten.
(b) It exceeds the page count limit.
(c) It is sent via email.
(d) It is on audio tape.
5. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
(a) Doris Clawson.
(b) Connie Martin.
(c) Louise Cooper.
(d) Velma Cooper.
6. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
(a) He had too many prior convictions.
(b) He was clearly guilty.
(c) He was insane.
(d) The rules of Betts vs. Brady.
7. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
(a) The President's ideas.
(b) The Attorney General's ideas.
(c) Their own ideas.
(d) The Constitution's ideals.
8. Which of the following falls into the category of "special circumstances" for those on trial?
(b) All of these.
(d) Mentally ill.
9. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
(a) Electrical wiring.
(c) Car maintenance.
(d) Truck driving.
10. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
(a) How many more men like Clarence Earl Gideon are sitting in America's prisons?
(b) Why should the U.S. Supreme Court have to get involved with a petty larceny case?
(c) Should this Court's holding in Betts vs. Brady, 316 U.S. 455, be reconsiderd?
(d) Are we not bound to provide legal justice for all men in this country?
11. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
12. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
(a) Panama City, Florida.
(b) Venice, Florida.
(c) Orlando, Florida.
(d) Hollywood, Florida.
13. What prior case had established the rules for assigning an attorney to a defendant.
(a) Breck vs. Brady.
(b) Betts vs. Brody.
(c) Betts vs. Brady.
(d) Betz vs. Brady.
14. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
(a) James Hall Gideon.
(b) Earl Thomas Ray.
(c) Clarence James Thomas.
(d) Clarence Earl Gideon.
15. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
(a) Witness statements.
(b) Opening and closing arguments.
(c) Judge's ruling.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city in Florida did Gideon reside?
2. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
3. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
4. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
5. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)