|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
(a) Divorce proceedings.
(b) Child custody case.
(c) Traffic violations.
(d) Noise violations.
2. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
(a) Panama City, Florida.
(b) Hollywood, Florida.
(c) Venice, Florida.
(d) Orlando, Florida.
3. Why does Gideon's family not qualify for welfare?
(a) Because of Gideon's criminal record.
(b) Because of Gideon's wife's criminal record.
(c) Because Gideon makes too much money.
(d) Because welfare was not established yet.
4. What prior case had established the rules for assigning an attorney to a defendant.
(a) Betz vs. Brady.
(b) Betts vs. Brody.
(c) Betts vs. Brady.
(d) Breck vs. Brady.
5. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(a) Legal secretary.
(c) Personal assistant.
(d) Law clerks.
6. Why did Gideon never move his family out of Panama City?
(a) His wife didn't want to move.
(b) They didn't want to leave their school.
(c) They had family in the area.
(d) He never had the money.
7. Why does Gideon say he needs to get out of prison?
(a) To get a good job.
(b) To care for his mother.
(c) To continue his education.
(d) To care for his children.
8. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
(a) Florida prisons.
(b) Gideon himself.
(c) Florida rules.
(d) petty larceny.
9. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
(a) But he will look them up if it takes forever.
(b) Has good intentions.
(c) Knows there are many of them.
(d) Is trying to learn the best he can.
10. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) It will be even harder to appeal.
(b) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
(c) He will be a free man.
(d) All state courts will be impacted.
11. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To have surgery.
(b) To show his innocence.
(c) To get a job.
(d) To make arrangements for his children.
12. How many children and stepchildren does Gideon have with his second wife?
13. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
(a) Connie Martin.
(b) Louise Cooper.
(c) Velma Cooper.
(d) Doris Clawson.
14. Abe Fortas had previously argued the case that expanded the Supreme Court's ruling on ____________.
(b) Pre-meditated murder.
(d) Tax evasion.
15. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
(a) January 15, 1966.
(b) May 25, 1963.
(c) November 22, 1963.
(d) April 21, 1963.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
2. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
3. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
4. What reason did the judge in Gideon's first trial not appoint an attorney?
5. Federal law _____________ state law.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)