|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
(a) How long I have lived her.
(b) What church I belong to if any.
(c) How many kids I have.
(d) How much money I make.
2. Which of the following does Henry Cook state that Henry did on the morning of June 3?
(a) Leave in a cab.
(b) Use a pay phone.
(c) All of these.
(d) Walk down the street.
3. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
(a) All state courts will be impacted.
(b) He will be a free man.
(c) It will be even harder to appeal.
(d) It will be easier to get a case to the Supreme Court.
4. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
(a) Is trying to learn the best he can.
(b) Knows there are many of them.
(c) But he will look them up if it takes forever.
(d) Has good intentions.
5. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
6. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) February 8, 1962.
(b) February 14, 1969.
(c) December 24, 1961.
(d) March 24, 1960.
7. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
8. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
(a) Be applied across the board to all states.
(b) Apply to indigent people.
(c) Impact people already in prison.
(d) Probably result in guilty verdicts.
9. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
(a) Jeffrey Walton.
(b) Michael Rodak, Jr.
(c) Michael Kodak, Jr.
(d) Stu Mathias.
10. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He had gallbladder surgery.
(b) He had pneumonia.
(c) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
(d) He was in a car accident.
11. Why is Gideon filing an appeal to his case?
(a) He had no trial before going to prison.
(b) He had no attorney at his trial.
(c) He had to wait six months before going to trial.
(d) He had a junior attorney at his trial.
12. Gideon writes a letter of ____________ pages to Abe Fortas to tell him what really happened.
13. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(b) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(c) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
(d) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
14. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
(a) Any instructions for determining guilt.
(b) Hotel accommodations during its service.
(c) Stipends for its service.
(d) Meals during its service.
15. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
(a) He had too many prior convictions.
(b) He was clearly guilty.
(c) The rules of Betts vs. Brady.
(d) He was insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Gideon commit his crime?
2. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
3. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
4. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
5. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)