|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the judge in Gideon's first trial neglect to tell Gideon?
(a) He has a right to cross examine witnesses.
(b) There is video tape of Gideon stealing.
(c) He has a right to question the jury.
(d) He could have an attorney if he just asked for one.
2. How many law clerks are available to assist the Supreme Court Justices?
3. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
(a) Florida prisons.
(b) Gideon himself.
(c) Florida rules.
(d) petty larceny.
4. The Supreme Court had ruled that a person is not criminally responsible for his actions if he ______________________.
(a) Had a hard childhood.
(b) Suffers a mental disease.
(c) Was taking certain medications.
(d) Is going through a divorce.
5. What reason did the judge in Gideon's first trial not appoint an attorney?
(a) The county didn't have legal funds.
(b) He knew Gideon was guilty.
(c) He had no reason.
(d) No attorney would take the case.
6. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
(a) Clarence Earl Gideon.
(b) Clarence James Thomas.
(c) James Hall Gideon.
(d) Earl Thomas Ray.
7. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
(b) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
(c) The moneybox was empty.
(d) There were gunshots in the walls.
8. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Tonya Robichaux.
(b) Ruth Babineaux.
(c) Babs Devereaux.
(d) Yvette Mimieux.
9. In what city in Florida did Gideon reside?
(b) Panama City.
10. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
(a) His mind.
(b) Custody of his children.
(c) His job.
(d) His house.
11. In Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's document, Gideon states that he can't cite laws such as the Florida Attorney General has, but that he "_____________________________."
(a) Is trying to learn the best he can.
(b) Knows there are many of them.
(c) But he will look them up if it takes forever.
(d) Has good intentions.
12. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is sent via email.
(b) It is handwritten.
(c) It is on audio tape.
(d) It exceeds the page count limit.
13. What is Gideon's job in prison?
14. The Supreme Court always seems to take the word of the person who claims _______________.
15. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
(a) Travel to and from Washington D.C.
(b) Hourly billing.
(c) Hotel accommodations.
(d) Food and entertainment.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Supreme Court is bound not so much by laws as by the trends and ____________ of the Justices who serve.
2. What establishment was Gideon convicted of robbing?
3. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
4. The jury is Gideon's first trial was not given _____________________.
5. Fortas notes that there is a recent history of the Justices declining to approve petitions that would _____________________.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)