|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
2. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
(a) Tends bar.
(b) Cleans a school.
(d) Works at a gas station.
3. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New York.
4. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
(b) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(c) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(d) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
5. How many children does Gideon have?
(a) Two and two stepchildren.
(b) One and three stepchildren.
(c) Three and a stepdaughter.
6. How many children and stepchildren does Gideon have with his second wife?
7. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
(a) To make arrangements for his children.
(b) To have surgery.
(c) To get a job.
(d) To show his innocence.
8. Justices of the Supreme Court have a higher power than ____________________.
(a) The President.
(b) Any other judge in the country.
(c) The Vice President.
(d) The Attorney General.
9. What does Gideon say about the prison facilities for filing court documents?
(a) They are inadequate.
(b) They are excellent.
(c) They do not exist.
(d) They are better than he imagined.
10. Who is the witness in Gideon's first trial who states that he saw Gideon at the poolroom on the morning of June 3?
(a) Hank Cookson.
(b) Henry Cook.
(c) Henry Koch.
(d) Harvey Cook.
11. Who is the central person in GIDEON'S TRUMPET?
(a) Earl Thomas Ray.
(b) Clarence Earl Gideon.
(c) James Hall Gideon.
(d) Clarence James Thomas.
12. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(a) Personal assistant.
(b) Law clerks.
(d) Legal secretary.
13. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) One legal secretary.
(b) The U.S. Attorney General.
(c) No one.
(d) Ten Law Clerks.
14. What establishment was Gideon convicted of robbing?
(a) Palms and Pawns Shop.
(b) Flamingo Pawn Shop.
(c) Bay Harbor Poolroom.
(d) Seabreeze Bar & Grill.
15. When is Gideon's case forwarded to the Supreme Court Justices?
(a) February 8, 1962.
(b) March 24, 1960.
(c) February 14, 1969.
(d) December 24, 1961.
Short Answer Questions
1. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
2. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
3. How old was Gideon when his father died?
4. Is Gideon guaranteed an attorney during a Supreme Court trial?
5. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)