|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Gideon when his father died?
2. What does Abe Fortas want before going to trial before representing Gideon?
(a) A meeting with Gideon.
(b) A series of phone interviews with Gideon.
(c) A transcript of Gideon's previous trial.
(d) A big raise.
3. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
4. Where does Abe Fortas practice law?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Denver, Colorado.
(c) Orlando, Florida.
(d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
5. Other than Gideon, who is the only person who could have filed Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court?
(a) His son.
(b) His attorney.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
6. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) The moneybox was empty.
(b) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
(c) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
(d) There were gunshots in the walls.
7. In what city is the Florida State Prison located?
8. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
9. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
(c) West Coast.
(d) New England.
10. Why did Gideon never move his family out of Panama City?
(a) His wife didn't want to move.
(b) He never had the money.
(c) They didn't want to leave their school.
(d) They had family in the area.
11. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
(a) How many more men like Clarence Earl Gideon are sitting in America's prisons?
(b) Are we not bound to provide legal justice for all men in this country?
(c) Should this Court's holding in Betts vs. Brady, 316 U.S. 455, be reconsiderd?
(d) Why should the U.S. Supreme Court have to get involved with a petty larceny case?
12. Why was Gideon in the hospital during this time?
(a) He was in a car accident.
(b) He had A-typical tuberculosis.
(c) He had gallbladder surgery.
(d) He had pneumonia.
13. The Supreme Court had ruled that a person is not criminally responsible for his actions if he ______________________.
(a) Is going through a divorce.
(b) Had a hard childhood.
(c) Was taking certain medications.
(d) Suffers a mental disease.
14. What is Gideon's job in prison?
15. Abe Fortas had previously argued the case that expanded the Supreme Court's ruling on ____________.
(b) Pre-meditated murder.
(c) Tax evasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
2. Among the most important concepts for the Justices is the determination of _________________.
3. Which of the following is NOT an area in which Abe Fortas is familiar?
4. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
5. What would happen to the appeals process if Gideon's appeal is approved?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)