|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many does does the opposing side on a case have to respond once a petition submitted to the Supreme Court?
2. Abe Fortas indicates that a lawyer would have known that ____________ could have been a defense for the crime.
(a) Righteous anger.
(c) Being high.
3. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) Ten Law Clerks.
(b) One legal secretary.
(c) No one.
(d) The U.S. Attorney General.
4. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(a) Law clerks.
(c) Personal assistant.
(d) Legal secretary.
5. Where does Gideon work after getting out of a reformatory?
(a) Hardware store.
(b) Shoe factory.
6. How many pages does Gideon's Supreme Court petition contain?
7. What is unique about Gideon's petition to the U.S. Supreme Court?
(a) It is sent via email.
(b) It is handwritten.
(c) It is on audio tape.
(d) It exceeds the page count limit.
8. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
(a) They lost their house in the Great Depression.
(b) To pay for legal fees.
(c) To put in a savings account for him.
(d) To buy food for his brothers and sisters.
9. Henry Cook states that at the poolroom, the front was off the cigarette machine and ___________________.
(a) There were gunshots in the walls.
(b) The door lock was cut with bolt cutters.
(c) All the chairs and tables were tipped over.
(d) The moneybox was empty.
10. Is Gideon guaranteed an attorney during a Supreme Court trial?
(c) Yes, if he can pay a retainer.
11. Who does Gideon marry ten months after his first marriage?
(a) Tonya Robichaux.
(b) Babs Devereaux.
(c) Yvette Mimieux.
(d) Ruth Babineaux.
12. How old was Gideon when his father died?
13. What reason did the judge in Gideon's first trial not appoint an attorney?
(a) He had no reason.
(b) The county didn't have legal funds.
(c) No attorney would take the case.
(d) He knew Gideon was guilty.
14. What is Gideon on the verge of losing while in jail this time?
(a) His job.
(b) His house.
(c) Custody of his children.
(d) His mind.
15. Gideon writes a letter of ____________ pages to Abe Fortas to tell him what really happened.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
2. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
3. What does Gideon tell his attorney is the primary reason he needs to get out of jail?
4. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
5. Who is appointed to represent Gideon in his Supreme Court trial?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)