|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alabama's brief declares that ___________________ is more likely to be acquitted.
(a) An indigent with counsel.
(b) An indigent without counsel.
(c) A retarded person.
(d) A first-time offender.
2. Where is the U.S. Supreme Court located?
(b) New York.
(c) Washington D.C.
3. Who, other than the Justices, are included in behind closed door sessions when they consider which cases to hear?
(a) One legal secretary.
(b) The U.S. Attorney General.
(c) No one.
(d) Ten Law Clerks.
4. How does Gideon describe Fortas' legal brief about the case?
(a) Truly inspiring work.
(b) A Godsend.
(c) Brilliant document.
(d) A masterpiece.
5. What is the question the Justices say is before them when deciding to hear Gideon's case?
(a) Should this Court's holding in Betts vs. Brady, 316 U.S. 455, be reconsiderd?
(b) Why should the U.S. Supreme Court have to get involved with a petty larceny case?
(c) Are we not bound to provide legal justice for all men in this country?
(d) How many more men like Clarence Earl Gideon are sitting in America's prisons?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
2. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
3. How many other states sign Berlin's legal brief?
4. What is the date of Gideon's reply to the Florida Attorney General's office that Gideon did not have right to counsel?
5. Gideon says that prisoners have ___________ contact with attorneys?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)