|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing Gideon's landlady testifies to when Gideon questions her?
(a) Gideon is always on time with the rent.
(b) She thinks Gideon is a good father.
(c) She has never seen Gideon drunk.
(d) Gideon pretty much stays to himself.
2. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) General George Patton.
(c) General Johnson Hall.
(d) General Gerald A. Berlin.
3. The Supreme Court Justices are aware that many of the cases they hear are the result of __________________.
(a) An overloaded local court system.
(b) A poor State Court system.
(c) Unskilled judges in the local courts.
(d) A defendant's lack of a defense attorney.
4. Which state files its own brief in support of the principles of Gideon's case?
5. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
(b) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
(c) He cannot afford one.
(d) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does each Supreme Court justice receive regarding petitioners' requests?
2. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
3. What can be said about Gideon in that he stuck to the process of filing an appeal?
4. For what crime is Gideon serving time in prison?
5. Prior to Gideons' Supreme Court case, how many of the nine Justices does Fortas think will rule in his favor?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)