|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
(a) To pay for legal fees.
(b) They lost their house in the Great Depression.
(c) To buy food for his brothers and sisters.
(d) To put in a savings account for him.
2. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
(b) New England.
(d) West Coast.
3. What prior case had established the rules for assigning an attorney to a defendant.
(a) Betz vs. Brady.
(b) Betts vs. Brady.
(c) Breck vs. Brady.
(d) Betts vs. Brody.
4. Abe Fortas had previously argued the case that expanded the Supreme Court's ruling on ____________.
(b) Tax evasion.
(c) Pre-meditated murder.
5. What is one caveat for a person who brings a petition before the Supreme Court?
(a) He must have been hurt by a legal action.
(b) He must be indigent.
(c) He must have money for an attorney.
(d) He must be illiterate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Cook state that Gideon had in his hand when he saw him on the morning of June 3?
2. For what reason has Gideon been summoned to court?
3. On what type of paper is Gideon's petition written?
4. An attorney representing a client in a Supreme Court case gets money for ________________.
5. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)