|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because wages are so low when Gideon moves his family to Florida, what does he do to supplement the income?
(a) Tends bar.
(c) Works at a gas station.
(d) Cleans a school.
2. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
(b) Opening and closing arguments.
(c) Judge's ruling.
(d) Witness statements.
3. Why does Gideon send money to his parents when he is in jail in the mid-1930s?
(a) They lost their house in the Great Depression.
(b) To buy food for his brothers and sisters.
(c) To pay for legal fees.
(d) To put in a savings account for him.
4. In the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942, in what state did Smith Betts live?
5. What amazes Jacob about appearing in the Supreme Court?
(a) The huge number of people present.
(b) The informality of the proceedings.
(c) The quality of the furniture.
(d) The courtroom cameras.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
2. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
3. What is a legal document submitted to the Supreme Court from anyone who may have something helpful to add to a case?
4. Jacob recommends that if a new law were to come from the Gideon case it should not be _______________.
5. What does Abe Fortas think would be the best way for the Justices to understand Gideon's case?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)