|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
(a) Opening and closing arguments.
(b) Judge's ruling.
(c) Witness statements.
2. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
(a) Their own ideas.
(b) The Attorney General's ideas.
(c) The President's ideas.
(d) The Constitution's ideals.
3. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
(b) He cannot afford one.
(c) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
(d) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
4. What reason did the judge in Gideon's first trial not appoint an attorney?
(a) No attorney would take the case.
(b) He had no reason.
(c) The county didn't have legal funds.
(d) He knew Gideon was guilty.
5. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(b) Law books.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Gideon file a petition?
2. What comment does George Mantz say that draws laughter from the Justices?
3. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
4. Lawyers appearing before the Supreme Court should present facts as opposed to ________________.
5. At what type of work does Gideon say he could make a living?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)