|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a general rule, the Justices' decisions follow ______________ of what's most important in the judicial system.
(a) The President's ideas.
(b) The Attorney General's ideas.
(c) Their own ideas.
(d) The Constitution's ideals.
2. Abe Fortas knows little of Gideon's first trial and little of _____________________.
(a) Florida prisons.
(b) petty larceny.
(c) Florida rules.
(d) Gideon himself.
3. What does Abe Fortas think would be the best way for the Justices to understand Gideon's case?
(a) They should talk to local judges.
(b) They should listen to interviews of inmates.
(c) They should read Gideon's trial transcripts.
(d) They should go to criminal court and watch a defendant try to defend himself.
4. How many children does Gideon have?
(a) One and three stepchildren.
(c) Three and a stepdaughter.
(d) Two and two stepchildren.
5. Gideon writes a letter of ____________ pages to Abe Fortas to tell him what really happened.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the country does Gideon live?
2. What is Gideon's state of mind as he prepares to go to trial at the Supreme Court?
3. Under the Betts rule, who is required to have an attorney?
4. What role does Gideon take on in helping other inmates?
5. What legislation gives the Supreme Court Justices the freedom to decide which cases they will hear?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)