|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Gideon when he ran away from home to escape his strict stepfather?
2. A famous line in Gideon's petition to the Supreme Court reads: "It makes no difference how old I am or what color I am or __________________________."
(a) How long I have lived her.
(b) How many kids I have.
(c) How much money I make.
(d) What church I belong to if any.
3. Sometimes the justices have their ________________ write brief memorandums about the petitioner's file contents.
(a) Legal secretary.
(b) Personal assistant.
(c) Law clerks.
4. What is the case in which six black boys were accused of rape of two white girls in 1932?
(a) The Petersborough Case.
(b) The Missouri Case.
(c) The Scotsboro Case.
(d) The Alabama Case.
5. Who did Gideon marry in 1955?
(a) Doris Clawson.
(b) Velma Cooper.
(c) Connie Martin.
(d) Louise Cooper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the clerk who receives Gideon's Supreme Court petition?
2. Why does the Florida Attorney General say Gideon did not have the right to counsel?
3. Gideon says that his court trial violated the _____________ Amendment.
4. Abe Fortas learns that the ______________________ of Gideon's first trial was/were not recorded.
5. Under the Betts rule, who is required to have an attorney?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)